Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Varam posted:

The bug doesn't affect all quests. Have you tried going to Skellige? I had a bunch of Novigrad quests give me no experience, but the Skellige quests have been giving me XP, even the ones I'm overleved for.

I'm really confused by this myself.

I'm getting no XP from progressing Get Junior or completing Count Reuven's Treasure, even though I keep getting the "you got XP from this quest step" sound effect, while doing half of Destination: Skellige gave me most of a level's worth of XP. I'm not sure if the game is just really inconsistent about when it rewards XP from quest to quest, or if I'm encountering some variation of an XP bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Beeez posted:

I always laugh when post-modern cultural critics, who allegedly believe that there is no objective truth, declare their opinions are the factual ones.

I don't know about post modernism or anything, but he is being wilfully dense. He exaggerates when he says he kills thousands of people all day, when he clearly knows you can't attack just anyone. You can't simply murder peasants who walk around town, and your emphasis on fighting is killing monsters because you're well, a monster hunter. Other than that, Geralt only kills in self-defense, or when a quest line dialog option allows you to gently caress up and be attacked. The dumb guy also clearly chooses to ignore the blatantly obvious anti-war stance the game has. Clearly illustrated all over Velen is how real wars work: kings or nations do the fighting and reap the rewards while the common folk do all the suffering. It's plain as day in Velen the real human toll war is taking: the number of orphans, single moms, starvation and disease, rampant lawlessness, and lets not forget the hordes of necrophages feeding on old battlefields. You would really need to be trying hard not to see just how anti-war the game is, and his points of how the game glorifies killing and war being bad rear end are provably wrong.

I must be doing something wrong, because I've only had sex with two women thus far, and I killed one of them because she was going to do a foolish thing. I don't see how anyone calls this game sexist or misogynistic or whatever.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 31, 2015

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Since this bug has been in the game since launch, I think it will be very funny if it turns out that all primary and secondary quests were supposed to grant XP.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
"I need to find Doodoo so I can meet Whoreson Jr."

:colbert:... I'll allow it.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Ah yes, the hallmark of a great cRPG: useless quests that don't reward XP.

Don't be sexist!

I do quests or the fun/story, not to watch numbers go up? I don't really understand how no exp makes them 'useless'.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Since this bug has been in the game since launch, I think it will be very funny if it turns out that all primary and secondary quests were supposed to grant XP.

Oh god, if that were the case the XP curve would be totally hosed. I'm not even doing all of the secondary quests and I'm outleveling the primary quests as-is. (Or, at least, I was, before I started not getting XP from primary quests.)

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Verranicus posted:

I do quests or the fun/story, not to watch numbers go up? I don't really understand how no exp makes them 'useless'.

Because the game is an RPG and if you want to finish it eventually you'll need to have your numbers go up :shrug: I don't know I guess I'm weird like that. Why is it OK for a quest to not reward XP? Are you all really OK with that?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Witcher 3 would probably be a better game if it didn't have levels and experience at all.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Well, I'm shelving the game. The NPC pop-in has become bad enough it ruins the experience for me. Hopefully it'll get fixed, but going through the official forums it seems they're not acknowledging the issue :(

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Andrast posted:

Witcher 3 would probably be a better game if it didn't have levels and experience at all.

I agree, actually. A Metroid-style system where you just gain more tools you can use and have a relatively shallow equipment upgrade curve would be fantastic.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Unexpected posted:

Stream works and quality is good but keyboard is way too loud in my opinion (mic too close?)

I have one of those clackety uber hacker keyboards from Das Keyboards. That's probably why.

I fixed up some things and I'm at it again:

http://www.twitch.tv/dork_rex

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

GhostDog posted:

Well, I'm shelving the game. The NPC pop-in has become bad enough it ruins the experience for me. Hopefully it'll get fixed, but going through the official forums it seems they're not acknowledging the issue :(

I haven't heard anyone talk about an issue like this, so it's probably on your end.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Verranicus posted:

I haven't heard anyone talk about an issue like this, so it's probably on your end.

I get the same thing. It wasn't really present when I started the game but I'm around 24 and it is really bad at points. They can pop in as late as being right on top of them.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Verranicus posted:

The point is the game is easy enough that you don't need to be at the same level as a quest to do it, and being underlevelled isn't going to lock you out of beating the game. My friend beat it at level 18.

I didn't realize that was possible, I thought the final quests were like level 35? I tried my hand at some 25ish contracts and even though some seem to be cheesable, others aren't and quen-cheesing just isn't fun anyway.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I got a lot of pop-in but I assumed it was because I was playing on a potato. I had one invisible guy drinking a beer in a cutscene.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Harrow posted:

I'm really confused by this myself.

I'm getting no XP from progressing Get Junior or completing Count Reuven's Treasure, even though I keep getting the "you got XP from this quest step" sound effect, while doing half of Destination: Skellige gave me most of a level's worth of XP. I'm not sure if the game is just really inconsistent about when it rewards XP from quest to quest, or if I'm encountering some variation of an XP bug.

I got a bajillion XP fo completyn zy cueste ale po tym mam nic.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Because the game is an RPG and if you want to finish it eventually you'll need to have your numbers go up :shrug: I don't know I guess I'm weird like that. Why is it OK for a quest to not reward XP? Are you all really OK with that?
If the quest design is good enough, why would you give a poo poo about XP rewards? Besides, people's numbers still go up enough for them to finish the game overleveled.

EDIT:: And the pop-in is a problem regardless of your hardware.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Hi, if I want the steam version... should I expect to pay $60?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Justin Credible posted:

I get the same thing. It wasn't really present when I started the game but I'm around 24 and it is really bad at points. They can pop in as late as being right on top of them.

I get a lot of npc pop-in, I have to stand around waiting for the characters to pop-up and then wait for their dialogue to pop-up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

drat it, I failed a quest without even knowing it existed. Now I have a failed quest that's going to be staring me in the face the rest of the time I play. That's disheartening.

Arglebargle III posted:

I got a bajillion XP fo completyn zy cueste ale po tym mam nic.

Uh-huh.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Harrow posted:

drat it, I failed a quest without even knowing it existed. Now I have a failed quest that's going to be staring me in the face the rest of the time I play. That's disheartening.

Only failed "gangs of Novigrad", thought it was alternate quest to advance the plot, probably missed some interactions with cleaver.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Toplowtech posted:

Endgame/Ending spoiler: you can get a triss+yen threesome offer if you told them both you loved them (it's actually a trap and they both dump you if you accept) and you end the game alone with Dandelion, like if you didn't romance them

If you said you love them both earlier, can you pick one later and save it, or do I have really have to reload 10 hours back and tell Yennifer I don't care about her all the way back in The Last Wish?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
There's a lot of pop-in and it's annoying but I got over it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah don't worry some of the quests in this game are not actually good idea to pick up. Like the only possible outcomes are worse than doing nothing. Like the one where you interrupt the rapist late at night on Novigrad's streets only to have his "victim" curse at you for making him break character.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I get funny pop in, like a dwarf's beard only partially loading up or not at all. Once I talk to him though he has it all in the cut scene.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PureRok posted:

If you said you love them both earlier, can you pick one later and save it, or do I have really have to reload 10 hours back and tell Yennifer I don't care about her all the way back in The Last Wish?

Or you could just continue with the choices you made.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

RE: Nilfgaard being the "good guys" bringing civilization and law to the north: Their intention is to kick out the existing populace and settle the land with their own citizens as soon as the war is over. So congratulations on your "free Temeria" Roche/Ves, it's nothing more than a glorified refuge camp.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Out of curiosity, was there a way to finish the Count Reuven's Treasure/Get Junior questline without murdering like every single person with a sword in all of Novigrad and burning down the witch-hunters' hide-out? I tend to prefer being a least a little more discreet, but things kind of... got out of hand.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Anyone done/failed the quest "Following the Thread"? Just noticed I'd failed it, but I don't rightly know why. Apparently I failed this step: "Go to Faroe and look for Hammond".

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Verranicus posted:

There are quite a few people complaining. For me it's like this. I can initiate dialogue with people that haven't even loaded their model yet. In cutscenes Gerald's beard will pop-in half a second after he gets into the picture etc.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Andrast posted:

Or you could just continue with the choices you made.

That totally answered my question. Thanks.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

Only failed "gangs of Novigrad", thought it was alternate quest to advance the plot, probably missed some interactions with cleaver.

yeah i literally failed the same mission tonight. I wanted to go back to the dwarf and talk to him but there wasn't any mission location marker on the map so I just continued.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

anatomi posted:

Anyone done/failed the quest "Following the Thread"? Just noticed I'd failed it, but I don't rightly know why. Apparently I failed this step: "Go to Faroe and look for Hammond".

I was able to finish it without issues. How far into the main quests are you? My guess is that you're done with Skellige and went to Kaer Morhen, meaning Lambert might also be back at Kaer Morhen, which would be why you can't finish the quest.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Verranicus posted:

Even if you get hit with the "bug" you should be able to progress and beat the game just fine. They weren't lying when they said it wouldn't have a big effect on the game.

I played several hours of main story quests yesterday and didn't get any XP. It's having a pretty huge effect on my game, since I don't have high enough levels for most of the witcher school equipment, more quests, skill slots, etc.

The issue isn't "some quests don't give XP, which has affect everyone who played the game", the issue is "some people just stop getting XP from quests *period*"

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 31, 2015

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Badly Jester posted:

I was able to finish it without issues. How far into the main quests are you? My guess is that you're done with Skellige and went to Kaer Morhen, meaning Lambert might also be back at Kaer Morhen, which would be why you can't finish the quest.
Yeah, that's probably why. Point of No Returns aren't always so clear in this game, but I guess I could've missed some warning. Thanks!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anyone know where to start the treasure hunt quest for the third and final tier of The Bear (heavy) witcher armor? It's my favorite armor and i need to upgrade it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there a vendor in the game that buys books and notes?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

There's an opportunistic book merchant next to the witch pyres in Novigrad.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

I played several hours of main story quests yesterday and didn't get any XP. It's having a pretty huge effect on my game, since I don't have high enough levels for most of the witcher school equipment, more quests, skill slots, etc.

The issue isn't "some quests don't give XP, which has affect everyone who played the game", the issue is "some people just stop getting XP from quests *period*"

I suppose I can assume, then, that I don't have the bug, considering that I'm getting XP from some quests still. It's just so weird that I've finished two rather long primary quests without getting XP at all, while contracts and the occasional secondary quest still give me XP.

I think I might stop playing until the patch comes out anyway and then redo the last couple of primary quests just in case. (If nothing else, I can try to get a better outcome than "Geralt showed up and murdered literally everyone.")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Greenplastic posted:

No?

I am level 16 and get no XP now, how will I be able to finish the game stuck at level 16?

You will start to get xp again from the main quest once you finish up in Skellige. The subsequent quests will shower you with absurd amounts of experience and you'll absolutely keep pace or out level the end game. I just finished the game and got practically no experience for any of the story quests, secondary or main, in Novigrad and Skellige. Mild spoiler: You go back to those places later in the story, and you will get experience from the quests you do at that time. I was still several levels ahead of the recommended level for the final quest. The experience bug is really not a big deal. In fact, it probably makes the game better, to be honest. People saying they finished the game at level 20 or so probably ignored every secondary quest and tried to get through the main story as quickly as possible. The secondary quests are awesome, however, so I strongly recommend to do them in whether or not they give XP. Another mild spoiler: Cerys' quest in Skellige, even though it gave me no XP at all, feels just like an awesome story from one of the early Icelandic sagas and was totally worth doing.

Complete change of subject: what did people thing about the end game fights against the wild hunt? I thought Imrelith was a gigantic pain in the rear end during his second stage and it took me a number of tries, though I was not exactly sober at the time either. Caranthir (which is a great name for an evil elf; I always appreciate Tolkien references) and Eredin were very predictable and easy, though.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 31, 2015