Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Take a Barghest out for a spin some time and you'll get a sense for what a missile-spewing Naga would have been like.

I flew the torp naga on the test server heavily. I got to experience the majesty first hand. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Nietzschean posted:

or was that star trek 5? either way also introduce the ability to cripple enemy ships with badly quoted Shakespeare

It wasn't badly quoted it was the correct translation from the original Klingon

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
So, I've been playing around on SiSi with a Jackdaw fit;

code:
[Jackdaw, JackTest3LMLMWD]
Damage Control II
Ballistic Control System II

5MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Fleeting Propulsion Inhibitor I
Fleeting Propulsion Inhibitor I
Small Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I
Medium Shield Booster II
Warp Disruptor II

Light Missile Launcher II
[Empty High slot]

[Small Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer II]
[Rigs up for discussion]
Unlinked you top about 2km/s in speed mode, and careful use of the shield booster means you can keep your cap in good shape. The idea is you kite as a normal kiter would; even my lovely missile skills hit out to 36km outside of sharpshooter mode. If something gets a scram on you, double webs+Fury missiles lets you lay down near-perfect damage application. Problem is, the double webs don't do much if someone can already hit you at 24km. Does anyone have any suggestions or alterations they'd make?

Kalenn Istarion posted:

It wasn't badly quoted it was the correct translation from the original Klingon

loving nerd.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
I'm thinking of getting a gamur to play around with so can any of the :ullerrm: posters point me in the direction of a good fit?

This is what I've managed to come up with by myself:

quote:

[Garmur, Garmur fit]

Micro Auxiliary Power Core I
Nanofiber Internal Structure II

5MN Microwarpdrive II
Warp Disruptor II
Sensor Booster II
Medium F-S9 Regolith Compact Shield Extender

Small Ionic Field Projector I
Small Warhead Calefaction Catalyst I
Small Polycarbon Engine Housing I

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

vodkat posted:

I'm thinking of getting a gamur to play around with so can any of the :ullerrm: posters point me in the direction of a good fit?

Basically, there's two different flavors of good Garmur:

1) Shield tanked, LML, both longpoint and scram. You stay at ~30km with longpoint and MWD permanently on, making GBS threads out damage from afar. You keep your scram always overheated and in reserve; if someone burns towards you, you burn away from them and use the overheated scram to turn off their MWD long before they get into scram/web range, allowing you to get away. Beware of competent PvPers who will try to slingshot you.

2) Rockets, AB/scram/web, either armor or shield tank. You're basically a super-Hookbill, kiting at 11-14km. Beware of things that are capable of putting out enough damage at the same range to break your tank before you can kill them -- Succubus, dual web Svipul, some destroyers.

I use a cheap version of the Longdrinks fit for #1. For #2, here's two good examples -- one that's dualprop with an active armor tank, and one that's AB only with a shield buffer. (Both examples of #2 are quite pimped; you can probably find cheaper variations.)

code:
[Garmur, longdrinks cheap]
Internal Force Field Array I
Micro Auxiliary Power Core I

Limited 1MN Microwarpdrive I
Warp Disruptor II
Caldari Navy Warp Scrambler
Medium F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction

Light Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Inferno Light Missile

Small Polycarbon Engine Housing I
Small Ionic Field Projector II
Small Processor Overclocking Unit I
code:
[Garmur, fintarue dualprop armor rocket]
Damage Control II
Small Ancillary Armor Repairer, Nanite Repair Paste

Coreli A-Type 1MN Afterburner
Limited 1MN Microwarpdrive I
Dread Guristas Warp Scrambler
Federation Navy Stasis Webifier

Rocket Launcher II, Caldari Navy Nova Rocket

Small Anti-Explosive Pump I
Small Rocket Fuel Cache Partition I
Small Warhead Calefaction Catalyst I
code:
[Garmur, tegh ab mse rocket]
Internal Force Field Array I

Coreli A-Type 1MN Afterburner
Dark Blood Stasis Webifier
Dark Blood Warp Scrambler
Medium F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction

Rocket Launcher II, Caldari Navy Inferno Rocket

Small Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer II
Small Core Defense Field Extender II
Small Core Defense Field Extender II

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

vodkat posted:

The standard fit for a garmur is to use both a point and scram. The scram is used defensively on anything that's faster than you to shut them down before they scram you back (keep it pre-overheated so you have max range advantage). After that it's all about dictating range with your long point.

The issue is that fitting a MSE, point, and scram requires either a cpu implant or some mild bling for low-cpu faction gear.

edit welp shouldn't reply to old tabs without refreshing

Klyith fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 31, 2015

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

So the Corax is a pretty neat looking ship. I'm going to use it to shoot boat tomorrow.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

So the Corax is a pretty neat looking ship. I'm going to use it to shoot boat tomorrow.

Brace for disappointment.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

:shobon: Who are you ingame, and can you fly anything larger than a corax?

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

Give cute newbie isk.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
do not give him money

NOBODY SAW THE EDITS

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Well, I'm pretty much the opposite of a newbie but I've been out for like 3 years so its like starting from scratch. Started in 2007 right after JV1V, was out in 2012 and just came back because Vyst, Vio, gibbis crew and the directorate were cool. Thanks though!

ullerrm posted:

:shobon: Who are you ingame, and can you fly anything larger than a corax?

If I get my characters back from SUAS I can fly at least a Moros/Thanatos and probably a Nyx. Do you have any of those? :sun:

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

do not give him money

NOBODY SAW THE EDITS

Hi deadtear, how goes it? Been a while man!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 31, 2015

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer

blowfish posted:

What's the practical difference between a Talos and a Naga anyway? Light drones in case of T1 tackle and more lowslots in the Talos so you can put stuff other than tank in your mids?

If you go blaster fit talos is better damage less tank and naga is more tank with less damage.
Example naga fit:

In pizza we use this for hotdropping caps on hostile cyno beacons and grinding structures back when fighter assign was still in the game.

chriscalvert1982
Oct 6, 2013
From every fit I've looked at on the jackdaw just seems to be a better version of a talwar KIte and shoot! What dose anyone else think ?

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

chriscalvert1982 posted:

From every fit I've looked at on the jackdaw just seems to be a better version of a talwar KIte and shoot! What dose anyone else think ?

I still haven't tried any fit for the jackdaw or the ship itself on SiSi, but some people told me it was a sort of bigger Garmur, which I now assume is pure bullshit? I hope training Caldari Destroyer V will be worthwile

Valar Morghulis
Jul 20, 2014

All Men Must Die

How are multiboxers doing things now that ISBoxer is against the EULA?
Obviously, there's wooden dowels. But any other methods?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Valar Morghulis posted:

ISBoxer isn't against the EULA, you're just not allowed to use it for multiple simultaneous input. So if you're a multiboxer, you can use ISBoxer to arrange your multiple accounts on your screen(s), then you'll just have to manually klick really fast.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Valar Morghulis posted:

CCP aren't actively hunting for it. Just honouring reports by players so most industrialists are fine but bombers (the biggest issue) are out of luck.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?
So- can someone explain what Drifters are (since I didn't really follow EVE several patches ago) and explain this hilarity.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Xolve posted:

So- can someone explain what Drifters are (since I didn't really follow EVE several patches ago) and explain this hilarity.

They're Jovians or something and they like to steal corpses.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Xolve posted:

people shoot them and then the npcs respond with their doomsday weapon

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NyxBiker posted:

I still haven't tried any fit for the jackdaw or the ship itself on SiSi, but some people told me it was a sort of bigger Garmur, which I now assume is pure bullshit? I hope training Caldari Destroyer V will be worthwile
It's nothing like a garmur because what makes the mordus special is the range bonus to tackle, plus the speed to use those to dictate range. Jackdaw has neither of those, it's kinda slow even in propulsion mode (though the align speed is near-instant).

Honestly the best way to talk about it is "a LML destroyer, but way better than the existing ones".

Xolve posted:

Game: a battleship rat with 2 shield layers, good tank and damage, and a subcap doomsday they start shooting when they're low on hp. Also they're using a new AI system that can warp around a system, so they chase you if you agress them.

Lore: Post-Jovians of some type, possibly of the same faction as the sleepers or possibly different. They want to harvest your clone corpse!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Glory of Arioch posted:

people shoot them and then the npcs respond with their doomsday weapon

They can't go through gates yet, but like seekers they can and will warp to a gate and then wait for a while to see if you come back. This of course means if you see some around and know a fleet is coming through soon, nothing is easier then aggroing them, warping to the gate the fleet will use and going through.

Now the Drifters will sit around and it just takes one single guy accidentally shooting them for them to turn into a real gate camp. A gate camp with double shields and doomsdays. :getin:

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Libluini posted:

Now the Drifters will sit around and it just takes one single guy accidentally shooting them for them to turn into a real gate camp. A gate camp with double shields and doomsdays. :getin:

They're the all time #9 and #10 pilots on Zkill, some of the people they've killed (a few times in the same hour) have some rather hilarious/questionable fits- ranging anywhere from John Q. Publord in Amarr to RED Alliance ratters in Insmother.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Xolve posted:

They're the all time #9 and #10 pilots on Zkill, some of the people they've killed (a few times in the same hour) have some rather hilarious/questionable fits- ranging anywhere from John Q. Publord in Amarr to RED Alliance ratters in Insmother.
"It's a single rat, how bad can it be?" and "Oops my bot was set up to shoot everything with a red cross" respectively.

The best thing about them is, when you do manage to kill them without eating it to their normal weapons or mini-doomsday, the loot is near worthless.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Klyith posted:

The best thing about them is, when you do manage to kill them without eating it to their normal weapons or mini-doomsday, the loot is near worthless.

:ccp: consistency is unparalleled.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

they drop the antikitchen element you need to make entosis links though so they kinda need to die for sov war to happen

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Xolve posted:

:ccp: consistency is unparalleled.

Nah, that's actually a really smart bit of game design. If the drifters has some new ultra-rare loot or massive bounty, people would be making drifter hunting teams, coming up with strats to tank the doomsday, and generally reducing them to the same type of solved problem as incursions or sleepers. Drifters are supposed to be creepy and scary, who is scared of something they have killed a million times? Who gives a gently caress about Sansha Kukawhoever any more?

By making them both really tough *and* completely worthless they preserve the aura of a npc that's actually threatening.

e:

Glory of Arioch posted:

they drop the antikitchen element you need to make entosis links though so they kinda need to die for sov war to happen
Those can be gotten way easier from the jovian outposts and probably other sources.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

Klyith posted:

Honestly the best way to talk about it is "a LML destroyer, but way better than the existing ones".
It's the only sub-cruiser hull with 6 midslots, nevermind a 33% resist bonus and sig reduction on top of that. It can fit a prop mod and full tackle and still tank 30-50% better than any other similar-sized hull, including the Svipul and Confessor. A Hawkfleet-style fit without tackle can probably break 30k EHP while doing 300dps with LMLs.

The Hawk is basically obsolete now, much how the Wolf/Jaguar and Retribution were completely eclipsed by the Svipul and Confessor. The only reason to fly an AF after all four T3 destroyers are out will be to save 10-12m isk.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Klyith posted:

"It's a single rat, how bad can it be?" and "Oops my bot was set up to shoot everything with a red cross" respectively.

How extensive is the botting capability these days? I see you can Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C the local window and scanning window these days and export it to poo poo like Pirates Little Helper. Has botting increased in population?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

mikey posted:

It's the only sub-cruiser hull with 6 midslots, nevermind a 33% resist bonus and sig reduction on top of that. It can fit a prop mod and full tackle and still tank 30-50% better than any other similar-sized hull, including the Svipul and Confessor. A Hawkfleet-style fit without tackle can probably break 30k EHP while doing 300dps with LMLs.

The Hawk is basically obsolete now, much how the Wolf/Jaguar and Retribution were completely eclipsed by the Svipul and Confessor. The only reason to fly an AF after all four T3 destroyers are out will be to save 10-12m isk.

They really should give AFs and HACs EWAR resistance, as some have suggested.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Xolve posted:

Lore-wise:

The Drifters are the first alien race in Eve, basically. They've been entering our galaxy from W-space; not entirely clear if that's their "home" or just a waypoint. They're currently believed to be a fully virtual/digital lifeform; their physical bodies are actually collected capsuleer corpses whose brains have been replaced with computing hardware. (The earliest Drifter corpses we found are modified Jovians; it's been strongly insinuated that they're connected in some way to the explosion of Caroline's Star and the disappearance of the Jovian empire.)

Their intentions are not entirely clear, but are highly likely to be offensive. It's suspected (but not confirmed) that they're connected to the Sleepers and see humanity as a bunch of rampaging raiders who are murdering their race en-masse to make Tech3 goods.

Mechanics-wise:

They're new red crosses that use officer AI.
They have a double-layered shield -- lock one, and their shield bar shows up as blue, and as you damage it, the blue bar disappears, followed by the normal white bar.
They do pretty good DPS by themselves; once their first shield disappears, they start firing a small doomsday weapon as well. More than capable of killing undertanked capitals.
They will pod players, without provocation.

All of these make them loving funny as hell, and explain the killboards.

They drop the parts needed to make Entosis Links. (There are some bugs you can exploit in their AI to farm them with minimal risk; if you don't want to use those, you can safely grind them down using a heavily tanked cap, a lightly tanked super, or a really pimped Marauder.)

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 31, 2015

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009
Their aggression mechanics are even more hilarious. There are also harmless sleepers running around k-space now. Normally they just scan things like a station or the faction police. If you kill them they might eventually spawn these drifters who will then murder you. If you kill enough of them you become kill on sight to all random roaming drifters in the game.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Klyith posted:

Sounds like the Drifters are the real heroes of Eve to me.

Goonspeed, posthuman nano lobotomised four dimensional warships

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AAPsel posted:

Their aggression mechanics are even more hilarious. There are also harmless sleepers running around k-space now. Normally they just scan things like a station or the faction police. If you kill them they might eventually spawn these drifters who will then murder you. If you kill enough of them you become kill on sight to all random roaming drifters in the game.

Those harmless k-space sleepers will also scoop up corpses if you jettison them as a gift :3:

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

ullerrm posted:

They will pod players, without provocation.

That's amazing. Absolutely amazing.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I had heard that people were salty towards EG over today's event, but holy poo poo, I thought they were joking.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I had heard that people were salty towards EG over today's event, but holy poo poo, I thought they were joking.

That has more to do with EG's behavior at previous Vile Rat Day events. But, frankly, if you're really that concerned about goons shooting other goons, you're probably taking this game too seriously.

Especially when there exists legitimate reasons to dislike EG :colbert:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

ullerrm posted:

That has more to do with EG's behavior at previous Vile Rat Day events.

?

quote:

But, frankly, if you're really that concerned about goons shooting other goons, you're probably taking this game too seriously.

Especially when there exists legitimate reasons to dislike EG :colbert:

I think there's a misunderstanding. EG is suiciding a Nightmare-fleet and I'm surprised over people actually sacrificing their ability to shoot a Revenant to jam out Nightmares instead of just killing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
Is Boat ded yet?

• Locked thread