Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So Yugi 'Matsu' Moto won GP Chiba huh...
He is the king of games though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
These mid-match videos/promos are the dorkiest poo poo.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

That foil mountain is like 7 bucks :v:

e; Oh no they're down to like 2-3 :( RIP 7th edition rare mountains I guess?

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 31, 2015

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Why was there some dude singing a bad song and playing guitar on the GP vegas stream at like 4am? It was real bad and woke me up.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

KidDynamite posted:

Why was there some dude singing a bad song and playing guitar on the GP vegas stream at like 4am? It was real bad and woke me up.

They seem to be doing a lot of humanist stories as part of their in-between match promos. That, at least, isn't as shocking as waking up early and turning on the stream only to see someone discussing the aftermath of an accident that turned her into a paraplegic. :cry:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

AlternateNu posted:

They seem to be doing a lot of humanist stories as part of their in-between match promos. That, at least, isn't as shocking as waking up early and turning on the stream only to see someone discussing the aftermath of an accident that turned her into a paraplegic. :cry:

The twitch chat was really on point during the segment about the trans woman.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Devor posted:

The twitch chat was really on point during the segment about the trans woman.

Oh god, I'm scared.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

They seem to be doing a lot of humanist stories as part of their in-between match promos.

There was a story about a gay Judge pair on the magic Tumblr. :3:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

AlternateNu posted:

They seem to be doing a lot of humanist stories as part of their in-between match promos.

Oh good, finally. This is what makes watching the Olympics so good. However, there is a fine line between "against all odds" and the story of brad Nelson who gave up school, friends, and jobs for magic. And that other guy on the vice video who took a semester off to play and didn't sound like he was doing so hot school-wise too.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh good, finally. This is what makes watching the Olympics so good. However, there is a fine line between "against all odds" and the story of brad Nelson who gave up school, friends, and jobs for magic. And that other guy on the vice video who took a semester off to play and didn't sound like he was doing so hot school-wise too.

Grinder: the story of Brad Nelson's lunch.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Currently on the Utrechet stream, they are interviewing a judge that was a member of a top maylaysian rap group in the 2000's for 5 years, Poetic Ammo.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Serperoth posted:

There was a story about a gay Judge pair on the magic Tumblr. :3:

It's hilarious reloading the comments section to see people talking about how "IT SEEMS ONLY PEOPLE WHO SUPPORT THE GAY AGENDA ARE ALLOWED TO POST HERE I THOUGHT THIS WAS A MAGIC PAGE" and then seeing how quickly it gets deleted. Wizard's Facebook moderating team is on point.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

GonSmithe posted:

It's hilarious reloading the comments section to see people talking about how "IT SEEMS ONLY PEOPLE WHO SUPPORT THE GAY AGENDA ARE ALLOWED TO POST HERE I THOUGHT THIS WAS A MAGIC PAGE" and then seeing how quickly it gets deleted. Wizard's Facebook moderating team is on point.

Wizards is really on point in general in taking action to make Magic a game for everyone and not just white hetero neckbeards.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Ah man, come on. How can someone not like Conspiracy? Dude is "investing" in sealed product and skipping one of the few sets with legacy and vintage playables.

I have clarified many times that when I say "set" I am speaking within the context of the Magic: The Gathering collectible card game which traditionally consisted of core sets and expansions, the former of which would provide a sort of universal core to the game, and the latter of which would expand the game. Of course Modern Masters is a "set" from a technical standpoint. I can't believe so many readers have been taking my assertions on this literal technical level even when I am sure you know very well what I am saying.

For years, they came out with a core set in the summer, and a three block set during the year. This was Magic: The Gathering. Now they're going to be doing four expansions per year and no core set, but that four-set-per-year core of the game is not changing, and any supplemental products or collections of reprints that come out alongside those four sets do not belong to the heart and soul of the game from a true collector's perspective because naturally any supplements or collections of reprints are only there for the player base and were printed For The Sole Purpose of undermining the collectibility of the game by saying "this game is for play only, it doesn't matter what expansion symbol is on your card, it doesn't matter how many times we reprint it, here you go, have fun."

Having a print run of a set run longer than the first print run is a legitimate thing to do. It's like having multiple 1st Edition printings of a book. If the book doesn't change, you're just expanding the volume, not releasing a new version. 2nd Edition would undergo edits, etc, and would be different. And a cheap paperback copy of an old classic from the 19th century allows you to read the story, but does not give you a copy of the book from a collector's perspective. Same thing here.

So, my definition for "set" comes from the long precedent set by Wizards of the Coast in the development and expansion of MTG, having a new expansion block each year which expands the game with original printings of new cards. In recent years there were several sets that had many very popular cards, so as the demand for them became greater than the amount readily available in circulation, Wizards decided to completely abandon the collectible side of the game and just print more of those cards with a fake expansion symbol on them. In the long run the price difference between cards from Zendikar and their Modern Masters counterparts very well might look like the Legends/Chronicles price difference.

It's like if Apple said "oh, are you guys all wanting to buy a thousand shares of Apple stock but you're too late because it costs too much now? Here, here's a thousand shares that I'll sell you for five dollars each." Now the stock market is no longer what it once was, the very essence of how it works from the investors perspective is turned upside down, nothing means anything anymore. In Magic, from the collector's perspective, people with Modern Masters cards have those five dollar shares. But it works out for everybody because in this case, the Modern Masters fans didn't actually want valuable shares, they really just wanted to be able to pretend that they have one thousand Apple shares, and now they technically do.

Even if you disagree with me, I hope you can begin to understand more how I see things now. And remember, I only came in here to express my view and find out if anyone else feels the same way. I did not say in my original post "anyone who likes Modern Masters cards is an idiot."

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

You are seriously crazy. Why do you care so much about if other people "understand your point of view" Even if we do understand you, you are just going on and on and on like a crazy person desperately hoping someone else believes in chemtrails too. You need to stop talking about this, because there are like 5 people in the world who are seriously as bothered by you about this issue, and for all the rest of us, we just don't really care.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

http://gawker.com/i-won-a-5-000-magic-the-gathering-tournament-on-shroo-1705333524

If he wrote like this all the time I don't think half as many ppl would hate him

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

jassi007 posted:

You are seriously crazy. Why do you care so much about if other people "understand your point of view" Even if we do understand you, you are just going on and on and on like a crazy person desperately hoping someone else believes in chemtrails too. You need to stop talking about this, because there are like 5 people in the world who are seriously as bothered by you about this issue, and for all the rest of us, we just don't really care.

You realize he's quoting poo poo from an awful MTGS sperglord that got linked earlier in the thread right?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Captain Invictus posted:

A friend of mine is moving and gave me his magic cards, either to keep or to sell and give him a cut if I can get anything for them.
If you have any of this particular swamp in there and in decent condition, I would love to get my hands on all that you have because I love that art but getting specific art basic lands is kind of a chore. Shoot me a PM if you have any, we'll work a thing out!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

PleasantDirge posted:

http://gawker.com/i-won-a-5-000-magic-the-gathering-tournament-on-shroo-1705333524

If he wrote like this all the time I don't think half as many ppl would hate him

I read as much of that article as I could stomach and it's a pretty terrible one, I don't see why people wouldn't hate him.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

wtf sushi draft

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Cernunnos posted:

You realize he's quoting poo poo from an awful MTGS sperglord that got linked earlier in the thread right?

I do not. He should indicate in some way that he is quoting things.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

jassi007 posted:

I do not. He should indicate in some way that he is quoting things.

He should but he probably won't because people responding to them legitimately (like you did) is hilarious. :v:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I think those posts would go great in my unsourced quotes EDH deck.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cernunnos posted:

He should but he probably won't because people responding to them legitimately (like you did) is hilarious. :v:

Yeah these would go great in grogs.txt too and we used to not care about sourcing quotes before cuz half the fun is trying to guess if the grog is coming from within the thread.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Cernunnos posted:

He should take my reply and go post it on MTGS and then tell everyone it isn't really his reply either :P yeah yeah he got me zing!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

jassi007 posted:

You're not very good with reading comprehension, are you

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Serperoth posted:

I read as much of that article as I could stomach and it's a pretty terrible one, I don't see why people wouldn't hate him.

You don't think what he did was funny do you? I think that is probably the start and finish for a LOT of ppl. If you don't think playing a magic tournament tripping balls is amusing then he is still that awful whiny autist that is upset the pt isn't all happy cakes and applesauce. I just think this is the most likeable and personal thing dude has written which is a long way from how many swirlies I wanted to give out based on his previous work (bakers dozens).

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

jassi007 posted:

He should take my reply and go post it on MTGS and then tell everyone it isn't really his reply either :P yeah yeah he got me zing!

Lurk more.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

PleasantDirge posted:

You don't think what he did was funny do you? I think that is probably the start and finish for a LOT of ppl. If you don't think playing a magic tournament tripping balls is amusing then he is still that awful whiny autist that is upset the pt isn't all happy cakes and applesauce. I just think this is the most likeable and personal thing dude has written which is a long way from how many swirlies I wanted to give out based on his previous work (bakers dozens).

I think winning a tournament while tripping balls is pretty funny and definitely a feat.

He is an insufferable poo poo and a bad, unfunny writer.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Because of how a lot of people take magic seriously and diligently practice past the point of diminishing returns hitting zero, any writing that talks about how easy it is to win at magic while high or while playing COD for practice is funny and good.

A lot of people don't like to admit how much chance plays a role in this game. Or that magic strategy articles go around in circles - they're true but it's like men's health reusing the same articles every couple years.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

PleasantDirge posted:

I was going to write a post, but GonSmithe covered me, the dude is an unfunny, obnoxious, bad writer.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
People talk all the time about how he is a "bad writer" but I never see people making a case for him actually being a bad writer (i.e. writes poorly) and all I can assume is people just don't like his content and opinions. Yeah, occasionally he misses in his writing but generally he misses because he's trying to do something different, the part in his scg portland tournament report where he makes the tinder pun being a notable standout. I'll take writing that tries to do something different and fails sometimes over the massive amount of sameness in style that we get with so many MTG articles.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

CountFosco posted:

People talk all the time about how he is a "bad writer" but I never see people making a case for him actually being a bad writer (i.e. writes poorly) and all I can assume is people just don't like his content and opinions. Yeah, occasionally he misses in his writing but generally he misses because he's trying to do something different, the part in his scg portland tournament report where he makes the tinder pun being a notable standout. I'll take writing that tries to do something different and fails sometimes over the massive amount of sameness in style that we get with so many MTG articles.

-Overuses cliches
-Uses a thesaurus the same way a high school freshman does
-Unironic trailing ellipses
-A lot of sort of weird, awkward sentences
-Is an rear end in a top hat

He also has a lot of sentences that are like someone trying to fill out the page quota on a paper

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 31, 2015

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

CountFosco posted:

I can't not not agree with this.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I also cannot imagine how someone could be called a "bad writer" based on the content of their writi

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

I also cannot imagine how someone could be called a "bad writer" based on the content of their writi

I guess I just find him interesting even if he is a bag full of dicks. Hunter was a giant mumbling rear end in a top hat all day, some ppl just like to romanticize that more than others.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

AgentSythe posted:

-Overuses cliches

Eh, I tend to see him as using them ironically, but sure.

quote:

-Uses a thesaurus the same way a high school freshman does

This is presuming that he actually uses a thesaurus, which I doubt he does. So long as you're not actually thumbing through a thesaurus when you're writing, but are rather using words from your own vocabulary and which you feel are appropriate, I say this gets a pass. English is a rich language.

quote:

-Unironic trailing ellipses

Really? I must not notice this. Ellipses also do not bother me particularly much.

quote:

-A lot of sort of weird, awkward sentences

Agreed. I'd say that his writing is quite often haphazard.

quote:

-Is an rear end in a top hat

Not an actual writing critique.

CountFosco fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 31, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

PleasantDirge posted:

I guess I just find him interesting even if he is a bag full of dicks. Hunter was a giant mumbling rear end in a top hat all day, some ppl just like to romanticize that more than others.

Hunter also could actually write an entertaining piece of text, CML has failed in that regard.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Maybe CML could be shot out of a canon as well though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

You're not very good with reading comprehension, are you

How is he supposed to know what that troll is if he wasn't here when the original post got quoted, though?

• Locked thread