Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

davebo posted:

What was the name of that video back then with the Porsche in Oslo I think that gets pulled over by the police at like 3am, then runs off into the city and all around through red lights and ends up pulling in front of a house?

ninja edit: it was Getaway in Stockholm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE3Zjcngj74

The original Getaway in Stockholm is the only good one, and that Porsche sounds savage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Mooseykins posted:

The original Getaway in Stockholm is the only good one, and that Porsche sounds savage.

There were a couple decent ones, the second one with the supra and cosworth is pretty awesome, mainly due to the constant turbo noises from the cosworth. I probably still have most of the getaway in Stockholm videos and Mischief on my storage array. Speaking of stupid videos like that I used to love, Ghostrider was pretty awesome. Crazy bastard flying through traffic on a naked turbo'd hayabusa.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
What is the loving deal with people that block up gas pumps at a busy gas station? Yeah, I honked at you because you're on your loving phone, idling your car, and there is a line behind you to get gas you bitch. Check your GPS/texts/etc. in the empty parking spots!

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

EightBit posted:

What is the loving deal with people that block up gas pumps at a busy gas station? Yeah, I honked at you because you're on your loving phone, idling your car, and there is a line behind you to get gas you bitch. Check your GPS/texts/etc. in the empty parking spots!
My former employer, a Park Ranger / Cop, once told some woman off in the gas station for this while in uniform. She pumped her gas, left her car at the pump and then went into the store to buy stuff. It was a very busy day in the middle of the summer with lots of people waiting for the pump and a big line in the store. He told her she needed to move her car so other customers could get to the pump and she told him to mind his own business. He called her an rear end in a top hat and she was completely incredulous. "YOU CAN'T TALK TO ME LIKE THAT YOU'RE A PUBLIC SERVANT I PAY YOUR SALARY BLAH BLAH". "Nope, you're an rear end in a top hat and you need to move your car". She moved it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
What's the deal with people who don't understand the concept of one-way row parking lots? Got honked at by this rear end in a top hat who went flying down the wrong way. Like, excuse me for not religiously checking the direction people are not supposed to come from, and to boot you were going at least 30 in a grocery store parking lot.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Protocol7 posted:

least 30 in a grocery store parking lot.

This. Those people are loving morons.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I maintain the world would be a much better place if driving the wrong direction in a parking lot was punishable by death

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What baffles me is when a lot is designed with diagonal parking, why do people pull through parking spaces so they're pointed the wrong way? In their effort to avoid having to back out later, they set themselves up to look like massive tools. Either they end up driving the wrong way or do a three point turn because of a poo poo turn radius.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
They end up driving out the wrong way and they don't give a poo poo because they don't see it as shameful.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
The lanes in most lots I've done this in are wide that you can pull out and turn the right direction. :shrug:

Although if you're doing something like actual grocery shopping, pulling forward is counter-intuitive because now the guy who parks behind you blocks your trunk access and the way your doors open block you from loading up the backseat.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

xzzy posted:

What baffles me is when a lot is designed with diagonal parking, why do people pull through parking spaces so they're pointed the wrong way? In their effort to avoid having to back out later, they set themselves up to look like massive tools. Either they end up driving the wrong way or do a three point turn because of a poo poo turn radius.

Furthermore, people who intentionally back into front* angle parking are the dumbest and worst life forms in the Cosmos

*excluding the actually clever yet largely baffling concept of rear angle parking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwBDJmWbnk4

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Today I was driving up a 2 way road with parking on one side, such that when you are passing a parked car there isn't enough room for two cars. I was following a car up when a woman in an oncoming car stopped before the parked car to let the person in front of me passed. I followed behind them, but judging by the two middle fingers and 'upid motherfu' I heard as I went past, this was not the appropriate action according to this woman.

She was probably having a bad day.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

EightBit posted:

Everyone always takes forever to pump gas when you're waiting too. Why are half the cars unattended? What are cars doing parked here without nozzles in the tank? Why do people get back into their vehicle when the weather is fine outside? Clearly they've never had the auto shutoff fail on them before.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nsaP posted:

Today I was driving up a 2 way road with parking on one side, such that when you are passing a parked car there isn't enough room for two cars. I was following a car up when a woman in an oncoming car stopped before the parked car to let the person in front of me passed. I followed behind them, but judging by the two middle fingers and 'upid motherfu' I heard as I went past, this was not the appropriate action according to this woman.

She was probably having a bad day.

Who had the right of way? If the obstruction is in your lane, you're supposed to stop. If the obstruction was in her lane, she's the rear end in a top hat.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

xzzy posted:

Who had the right of way? If the obstruction is in your lane, you're supposed to stop. If the obstruction was in her lane, she's the rear end in a top hat.

Eh, probably was me and the car in front but if that's a right of way law in Kentucky I've never seen it. It was on a curve on a hill so when she came round and we/the parked car became visible, the car in front of me was already coming alongside the parked car. She had to stop cause of this. I followed the guy in front of me thru cause that's what you do here on shared lanes, go in groups. The alternative was: Guy in front going thru, woman stops, I stop, woman goes, I go again. Or I can just follow the guy already going thru and she had to wait a whole extra half second.

TBH by the point I should have decided to stop I probably would've ended up blocking her way too...

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
...vs not having to wait that extra half second :) I'm not saying it's cool or anything, but you shouldn't pretend you were doing her a favor ;)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Well I really was and she shouldn't pretend like I nearly killed her.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nsaP posted:

Eh, probably was me and the car in front but if that's a right of way law in Kentucky I've never seen it.

Well I don't know the laws for every state (or even most of them) but the ones I have read state that you're not allowed to cross the center line unless the oncoming lane is completely clear.

Yes in practice people never actually do this, in most cases people just scrunch up to fit in less space, but the letter of the law is pretty clear.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
There's no center line on the road. It's just a road.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
If we're going to nitpick it was here and the truck was parked in front of the mailbox. http://tinyurl.com/onbp8r8

She came round the corner and had to stop cause the guy in front was already coming up, I just followed him rather than stopping and trying to get out of the way.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

nsaP posted:

If we're going to nitpick it was here and the truck was parked in front of the mailbox. http://tinyurl.com/onbp8r8

She came round the corner and had to stop cause the guy in front was already coming up, I just followed him rather than stopping and trying to get out of the way.

Well clearly the sensible thing would've been to ram her through that guard rail and down the bank.

Now you know for next time!

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Outside the workshop today:

Spare wheel carrier broken? Just tie some rope and poo poo around it and stuff that into the tailgate. Hanging 6" lower than it should won't pose any risk..

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

beejay posted:

God dammit. The interstate construction lane merging idiocy reached a new low this morning. They were working on an overpass, the construction zone/lane restriction was literally SLIGHTLY wider than the overpass itself, like a tenth of a mile at most. Traffic was backed up beyond the "left lane closed 3 miles ahead" sign. Me and some other people tried to stay in the left lane until we could at least SEE the merge point but nope, guy in a Wal-Mart semi decides he is lane police and blocks us all. Another semi a few cars back starts doing the same thing. So we all crawl along, stop and go for the next 3 miles, pass the actual lane closure/construction in the blink of an eye and then traffic is moving again. The bulk of the traffic problems were from everyone merging miles too early and then getting nervous when they see semis ahead blocking the lanes off, so merging even earlier.

I'm sure it sucks to drive a semi and not be able to merge easily but what is the goal of blocking everyone else from driving nearer the merge point? I want to be able to do something about these semis that block off both lanes like that but I dunno what. I guess I could call their "how am I driving" number, how seriously are complaints like that taken?

I don't do this, it annoys me just as much as anyone else. But I can tell you why some drivers do it; Coming up to a lane closure I leave room in front of me to merge in, at speed, for ten or so cars. Most people maintain their lane and ignore the big open space in the lane that's not closing and drive on. Only after I have calculated the distance I need to slow/stop as to not asspack the line of cars inching their way through traffic because of roadconephobia do 100 cars swoop in and try to fill the space I left open, that's now rapidly diminishing.

I don't block lanes, I've gotten my pedal speed increased to 75 so I can pound the pedal and get out of people's way when they want to rock out at 90. But as much as I try, I cannot change the laws of physics and one day, I am going to end up pancaking someone after stealing my stopping distance.

Getting robbed of half the distance you know you need to safely stop is drat near pants making GBS threads when you're at 77k+. Some guys think blocking lanes and getting everyone over early can prevent this.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Almost hit another person in the same grocery store parking lot as last time. Good news: they were going the right direction. Bad news: they decided to blow right past me despite already sticking out at least 3 feet from the cars on either side.

I just moved here and I think I hate this parking lot already.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
gently caress parades.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Thwack!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm pretty sure that you are supposed to look further ahead than your own front tire.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
The sound makes it even funnier

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

This is beautiful.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
This is what concerns me about bike/pedestrian shared spaces (my city is actually doing this, because it is run by mental defectives). You just know someone's going to get pasted and be seriously injured or killed (oh wait; it happened already, that's why the new bike/pedestrian area became pedestrian-only in the first place! I'm sure it won't happen again, right?).

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

PT6A posted:

This is what concerns me about bike/pedestrian shared spaces (my city is actually doing this, because it is run by mental defectives). You just know someone's going to get pasted and be seriously injured or killed (oh wait; it happened already, that's why the new bike/pedestrian area became pedestrian-only in the first place! I'm sure it won't happen again, right?).

Thats interesting because over in Europe a lot of town and city centres have been introducing shared space areas (where it is one big space that pedestrians, cyclists and cars all use as opposed to pavement - cycle lane - road lane) and to the surprise of basically everyone its actually improved safety and led to less incidents.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ludicro posted:

Thats interesting because over in Europe a lot of town and city centres have been introducing shared space areas (where it is one big space that pedestrians, cyclists and cars all use as opposed to pavement - cycle lane - road lane) and to the surprise of basically everyone its actually improved safety and led to less incidents.

I can see this, but it's different from extending pedestrian-only to pedestrian/cyclist, since it's presumably being compared to the pavement-cycle lane-car lane solution. Right now, there are no incidents, because cars and bikes are simply forbidden.

Also, it's literally trivial for a cyclist to become a pedestrian in order to access pedestrian-only areas, and they still have their bike with them when they are no longer in a pedestrian area.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Ludicro posted:

In the short term they reduce accidents but no one has done any studies to look into the long term effect. Making any change to the roads will improve accidents in the short term as everyone pays more attention to what they are doing.

But the cases of cars mixing are small and most of the time they just tend to ban cars and maybe just allow buses.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Today in cyclists in my city:
"Hmm the little calm 30kph limit road is perfectly empty, I guess I will save a single yard of travel distance and use the busy thin pedestrians-only sidewalk biking past MrLonghair with only a cockgirth of space available"
I yelled a bit :argh:

The day the a biker hits my sisters kids like this will be the day I start browsing TFR unironically. There is no fixing this problem. You have parents in carriage-bicycles with their little kids on it blowing redlights and buzzing off again after they cause traffic accidents.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
On friday i was driving back to the warehouse, coming up Abbey Road (Right by the crossing in the Beetles' ablum cover, where unfunny tourists gently caress up traffic by holding people up taking poo poo photos.) I go to turn right. Traffic in the other direction is stationary, gap in it where the junction is. I indicate, check it's clear, turn. Some oval office on a bicycle is loving bombing it down the road between the cars and pavement, not paying attention and somehow didn't see my 9' tall red van. Hits the brakes, stops just before he faceplants the side of my van, and then punches it in anger.

I should've stopped and punched his loving lights out.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Mooseykins posted:

On friday i was driving back to the warehouse, coming up Abbey Road (Right by the crossing in the Beetles' ablum cover, where unfunny tourists gently caress up traffic by holding people up taking poo poo photos.) I go to turn right. Traffic in the other direction is stationary, gap in it where the junction is. I indicate, check it's clear, turn. Some oval office on a bicycle is loving bombing it down the road between the cars and pavement, not paying attention and somehow didn't see my 9' tall red van. Hits the brakes, stops just before he faceplants the side of my van, and then punches it in anger.

Was it safe for you to cross the traffic?

No it wasn't so you shouldn't of crossed traffic. You are the one who needs to look better.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Foxtrot_13 posted:

No it wasn't so you shouldn't of crossed traffic. You are the one who needs to look better.

Oh, you were there? No, you weren't.

It was safe to cross traffic. By your logic, in that clip with the cyclist who rode into a parked car, the car was at fault.

Had the cyclist been looking ahead he would've seen my van turning before he was 3' from it.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Mooseykins posted:

I saw an idiot the other day use one of those interstate crossovers that police, wrenchmobiles and meatwagons use. Pretty sure his 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix isn't on the list of approved cars to use it, but the best thing about it was it kicked it over into the slow lane and almost got rear end rammed by a "train". Guy got on the brakes hard enough to make his last wagon come out and wiggle.

THEN he took off.

I gave him the devo treatment before he passed me though. drat near stuffed his own head into the windshield.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Mooseykins posted:

By your logic, in that clip with the cyclist who rode into a parked car, the car was at fault.

I think you'll find that "the parked car I ran into was at fault" is a popular opinion among bicyclists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Don't see how he's at fault when the guy was blowing past stationary traffic into an open intersection most likely hidden by the cars he's passing.