Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Harrow posted:

I suppose I can assume, then, that I don't have the bug, considering that I'm getting XP from some quests still. It's just so weird that I've finished two rather long primary quests without getting XP at all, while contracts and the occasional secondary quest still give me XP.

I think I might stop playing until the patch comes out anyway and then redo the last couple of primary quests just in case. (If nothing else, I can try to get a better outcome than "Geralt showed up and murdered literally everyone.")

Hell, maybe my perspective is completely wrong and the bug actually has been there for everybody and there's no trigger for it that only affects some. CD Projekt's been vague as hell about describing what the bug actually effects, beyond saying "it's not a big deal".

Still, the uncertainty makes it hard to keep playing and being under leveled makes a lot of enemies a huge chore to kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I got to Kaer Morhen today. Getting drunk with my witcher buddies is the best thing I've ever done in a video game.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

I played several hours of main story quests yesterday and didn't get any XP. It's having a pretty huge effect on my game, since I don't have high enough levels for most of the witcher school equipment, more quests, skill slots, etc.

The issue isn't "some quests don't give XP, which has affect everyone who played the game", the issue is "some people just stop getting XP from quests *period*"

Where are you in the game? CD Project's stance right now is that it only affects certain quests, and so it's a fixed amount of experience that can be lost and thus isn't gamebreaking. If no quest at all is giving you experience, then that'd be something completely different from what they seem to think they're dealing with.

Have you done any Witcher contracts recently? Every single one of them has given me XP AFAIK.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

I played several hours of main story quests yesterday and didn't get any XP. It's having a pretty huge effect on my game, since I don't have high enough levels for most of the witcher school equipment, more quests, skill slots, etc.

The issue isn't "some quests don't give XP, which has affect everyone who played the game", the issue is "some people just stop getting XP from quests *period*"

but... but the story :qq:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah don't worry some of the quests in this game are not actually good idea to pick up. Like the only possible outcomes are worse than doing nothing. Like the one where you interrupt the rapist late at night on Novigrad's streets only to have his "victim" curse at you for making him break character.

The character interaction is the reward in that one and totally worth it.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Broken Cog posted:

Is there a vendor in the game that buys books and notes?

There's a vendor in the middle of Hierarch Square in Novigrad that sells books so I wouldn't be surprised if he bought them too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Varam posted:

Where are you in the game? CD Project's stance right now is that it only affects certain quests, and so it's a fixed amount of experience that can be lost and thus isn't gamebreaking. If no quest at all is giving you experience, then that'd be something completely different from what they seem to think they're dealing with.

Have you done any Witcher contracts recently? Every single one of them has given me XP AFAIK.

I'm level 13 and started and finished off Broken Flowers, Get Junior, Count Reuven's Treasure, and some other thing without getting any XP. I think I got some minor XP rewards from finishing off a bunch of side quests I've had for a while.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I must be lucky because I've had very little in the way of pop-in problems. It usually only happens if I leave the game running overnight or have some video editing software running in the background.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lugaloco posted:

There's a vendor in the middle of Hierarch Square in Novigrad that sells books so I wouldn't be surprised if he bought them too.

You can definitely sell notes/books to this guy.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Dongattack posted:

Anyone know where to start the treasure hunt quest for the third and final tier of The Bear (heavy) witcher armor? It's my favorite armor and i need to upgrade it.

I can't tell you where to start the hunt, but I do know where to find the armor schematics. The destoyed bastion (with the fast travel point of the same name) in the far south of Velen. I actually ended up with the schematics for the mastercrafted one before finding the basic set because the Cyclops guarding them bugged out and vanished. :v:

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
I had a lot of pop in problems that were occasionally severely distracting (like the camera panning back to Geralt in a cutscene with no hair/beard and having that later pop in, or people's clothes popping in etc.) but it didn't drag it down too much. Lots of crashing that pissed me off but the autosaves were good enough.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This loving game. I'm 31 hours in and I still have 3 sidequest lines in Novigrad to complete. Also, I have to get Cat armor before I head off to the islands. gently caress this is insane. I haven't spent this much time with a game since probably Morrowwind on the xbox when I was a kid.

EDIT: Triss question. How is she stuck in/need gold to leave Novigrad? Can't she just I dunno, teleport the gently caress to any god drat where?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Arrgytehpirate posted:

EDIT: Triss question. How is she stuck in/need gold to leave Novigrad? Can't she just I dunno, teleport the gently caress to any god drat where?

I think it's that she wants to rescue as many of the other mages as possible, too, rather than just teleporting herself out or whatever.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

I think it's that she wants to rescue as many of the other mages as possible, too, rather than just teleporting herself out or whatever.

Can't they kind of just do the same thing. One of the few gripes I have is how Mages seems to be largely helpless.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Pellisworth posted:

She could just teleport people out one by one over the matter of five minutes. Or teleport to their homes, teleport them out. Is she the only one that can teleport ffs? There are so many instances in this game of 'I can only take 1 person with me, so you'll have to walk' -- can you just come back for me in six seconds? gently caress

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah it doesn't necessarily make all that much sense. It's never really explained what powers mages have access to and how sorceresses of the Lodge are any different.

There are a bunch of non-mages they were trying to smuggle out too, like the Vegelbud alchemist kid who you throw the big party as a distraction for his escape.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Is there a list somewhere of how much EXP each quest gives you for completion? I'm tempted to just start questing and just add the EXP back myself if they don't retro-reward it after fixing it.

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!
Just completed 'Wandering in the Dark', which was the first quest in the game to actually annoy me.

"Oh - a big fight with a golem , so I'm done now?"

"No... ok a 3 step fight defending Kiera , now I'm done!"

"Oh no - boss fight with a wild hunt thing, yay time to - Wait Kiera, you want help with what now?" a magic lamp? gently caress you.

"Oh - found it, that was easy! INCOMING GOLEM ,

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Complete change of subject: what did people thing about the end game fights against the wild hunt? I thought Imrelith was a gigantic pain in the rear end during his second stage and it took me a number of tries, though I was not exactly sober at the time either. Caranthir (which is a great name for an evil elf; I always appreciate Tolkien references) and Eredin were very predictable and easy, though.

I completely chumped Imlerith using signs. First stage I put down an yrden turret and got him caught in a regular yrden, so dodging his attacks was hilariously easy. Then when he lost his shield and started doing the teleport attacks, I just used the active quen shield and then attacked when he got tired. I was wearing the masterwork griffin set so my sign intensity was around 200%.

I was pleasantly surprised with how Geralt burned his face off with igni in the cutscene afterwards. This game seems to have the opposite problem of most, where characters are way less competent when I'm not controlling them. It was nice to see Geralt finally remember he can use magic!

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Imlerith was surprisingly easy, the hard part was catching the teleport-maul combo and striking after rolls. The two remaining were easy after that, Eredin was slow because I brought no repair kits and was hitting him with superior wet catty noodle.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
So I failed "Gangs of Novigrad" because I couldn't wait to get to Whoreson Jr. Did I miss out on much?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah it doesn't necessarily make all that much sense. It's never really explained what powers mages have access to and how sorceresses of the Lodge are any different.

There are a bunch of non-mages they were trying to smuggle out too, like the Vegelbud alchemist kid who you throw the big party as a distraction for his escape.

Yeah, the powers of magic users can vary quite a bit. Some people can only really do one particular discipline, like alchemy or scrying. Even for the most powerful multitalents like Triss, teleportation over large distances often turns into a dangerous crapshoot that can easily land you in the middle of a mountain or a hundred meters up in the air.

On another note, the facial animations in some of the conversations are the best drat thing:

"Somebody mentioned a daughter?": http://gfycat.com/FickleGoodnaturedChuckwalla

"But first, I'll need you to do a bunch of poo poo while I explain absolutely nothing": http://gfycat.com/ScaryMindlessIndri

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Nasgate posted:

So I failed "Gangs of Novigrad" because I couldn't wait to get to Whoreson Jr. Did I miss out on much?

Nah, it just means you didn't choose to bumrush the locations with the dwarf gangs. It's honestly more interesting trying to infiltrate them on your own.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

You know maybe these mages would have an easier time of hiding if they wore anything other than wizard robes and sexy babe sorceress outfits.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Perestroika posted:

Even for the most powerful multitalents like Triss, teleportation over large distances often turns into a dangerous crapshoot that can easily land you in the middle of a mountain or a hundred meters up in the air.

Someone post that gif of Geralt finally consenting to a teleport, walking through and coming out hundreds of feet over a ravine and falling to his death. :allears:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

You know maybe these mages would have an easier time of hiding if they wore anything other than wizard robes and sexy babe sorceress outfits.

I like the bit how most sorceress are 5/10 but using magic they make themselves to be a 10/10.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Couldn't they also just all go chill with the NIlfs? Like, the Emheyr is kind of a giant douche lord but at least he's sane and doesn't want to burn anything magic alive.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

etalian posted:

I like the bit how most sorceress are 5/10 but using magic they make themselves to be a 10/10.

The creepy part of this is that the cones do that too.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Yeah I just had the chess conversation with Radovid and I definitely do not remember him acting like this in the second game and in the first game iirc he was pretty chill. RIP.

e: Ves has also been wearing the same outfit for two years.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Nasgate posted:

The creepy part of this is that the cones do that too.

If that's their 10/10 then their 5/10 would bring on Cthulhu-levels of madness :stonk: :cthulhu:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

Yeah I just had the chess conversation with Radovid and I definitely do not remember him acting like this in the second game and in the first game iirc he was pretty chill. RIP.

Continuing with body language talk, they really nailed it with Radovid. I could tell he was batshit as soon as I saw him.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

I was really disappointed that there wasn't a "Hey do you play Gwent?" option during that.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Couldn't they also just all go chill with the NIlfs? Like, the Emheyr is kind of a giant douche lord but at least he's sane and doesn't want to burn anything magic alive.

For a evil invading superpower they seem so much more sane and better organized compared to the northern kingdom rulers

(Letho did nothing wrong)

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

MadJackMcJack posted:

If that's their 10/10 then their 5/10 would bring on Cthulhu-levels of madness :stonk: :cthulhu:

They show you their true forms. But talking to the guy who cut his ear off, he saw weaves as the most beautiful lady he's seen. Probably like in the painting.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

gently caress!

Triss help I didn't kiss her at the fountain, now she wants fuckall to do with me. Does this mean I can't send her up to Kher Mordan or whatever?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

etalian posted:

For a evil invading superpower they seem so much more sane and better organized compared to the northern kingdom rulers

(Letho did nothing wrong)

I don't remember the kind that Letho killed, but batshit insane guy is no ruler. Who knows, maybe fascism is the order of the day in Witcherland. So far my experiences with the Nilf have been far more positive in general. I mean sure they are arrogant and kind of dicks, but they are proper and pay well and seem to more or less care. Example being the "30 bags is fine" goodwill at the start of Velen.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
To all the people thinking letting Nilfgaard take the north is a bad end.

If you get the right ending and Ciri becomes Empress you successfully create peace on the continent by letting Nilfgaard take everything and putting in a wise ruler.

Also, Roche is a bro.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I don't remember the kind that Letho killed, but batshit insane guy is no ruler. Who knows, maybe fascism is the order of the day in Witcherland. So far my experiences with the Nilf have been far more positive in general. I mean sure they are arrogant and kind of dicks, but they are proper and pay well and seem to more or less care. Example being the "30 bags is fine" goodwill at the start of Velen.

Foltest was pretty chill except for the whole sister loving thing. Also spoiler for the 30 bags thing...they had the guy who brought the wheat flogged because some of it was moldy. Seemed more dickish then.

Haroshia fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 31, 2015

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007
So, uh, had a couple weird bugs with Roach. I rode him off of a hill and...just kept going through the air. I was about 50 feet off the ground on my magical Santa horse. Somehow managed to dismount and immediately ended up on the ground safely. That was pretty weird. Happened a second time but I didn't get near the height. Found a guy in Novigrad docks who was fervently scrubbing the air....floating 15 feet or so above the harbor. Open world game bugs are fun.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Haroshia posted:

To all the people thinking letting Nilfgaard take the north is a bad end.

If you get the right ending and Ciri becomes Empress you successfully create peace on the continent by letting Nilfgaard take everything and putting in a wise ruler.

Also, Roche is a bro.

Foltest was pretty chill except for the whole sister loving thing. Also spoiler for the 30 bags thing...they had the guy who brought the wheat flogged because some of it was moldy. Seemed more dickish then.

Yeah, he did get flogged but after the kind gesture the common rabble still tried to gently caress them. It was kind of deserved.

Also, answer my Triss question dudes I'm alt tabbed ready to reload if I was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Where the hell am I supposed to find the entrance to the cave with the cat gear in it?