Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tidiox
Jul 22, 2007
What does the Disruptor actually do if you hit an enemy with it? I think I've only had one confirmed hit, but it was against a guy with a charger who just kept slowly walking and charging his shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

So that little NES minigame you play while waiting for a game, didnt they say there'd be other ones to play?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hihohe posted:

So that little NES minigame you play while waiting for a game, didnt they say there'd be other ones to play?

They're locked behind Amiibos.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Hihohe posted:

You get them by doing the amiibo missions.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

tidiox posted:

What does the Disruptor actually do if you hit an enemy with it? I think I've only had one confirmed hit, but it was against a guy with a charger who just kept slowly walking and charging his shots.

It slows down their movement. Not so great if they're actively shooting at you but it can help keep them from getting away.

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

It slows down their movement. Not so great if they're actively shooting at you but it can help keep them from getting away.

I suspected that was the case. So the charger guy was basically unaffected. He ended up shooting me in the face while I stared at him trying to figure what the Disruptor did. They might be okay for sweeping out a sniper nest, though, since the sniper wouldn't be able to bail when you rushed him and there's not a ton of warning that the grenade is coming before it hits.

New question: does anyone know whether the abilities on gear stack? For instance, if I had three items with Attack Up, would I get triple the bonus? I saw someone with a 4-star shirt that two had Defense Up bonuses on it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I got a squid hat and squirt gun at nintendo world today

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Bown posted:

Yeah Kraken rules. I wish it lasted just a little longer.

The Kraken rules, the amiibo challenges are the best out of the three since you pretty much have unlimited use of the Kraken ability when you hold down the left trigger. The speed runs make the levels so much more difficult, yet satisfying!

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

tidiox posted:

New question: does anyone know whether the abilities on gear stack? For instance, if I had three items with Attack Up, would I get triple the bonus? I saw someone with a 4-star shirt that two had Defense Up bonuses on it.

If you talk to Judd enough, he'll tell you that you won't get a double bonus for having two of the same ability. I think you do get a tiny bonus if you have the same ability several times, but I'd say it's better to just have as many different abilities as possible.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I love the loading screen you get when you launch the game. It's super cute and I think the only time I've noticed the top and bottom screen being different for a game.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

tidiox posted:

The bonuses from gear stack with diminishing returns. You can see this demonstrated with Defense Up when you test weapons. In the test zone, you know the side area with five little targets and three big ones? If you look at the three little targets in the center, you can see Defense Up stickers on them - one, two and three of them from left to right. Since the test zone displays the damage you're doing, you can measure how effective your weapon is against different defense stacks (don't know if they would stack more than three, or if the test zone is stacking primary or secondary defense ups).

For instance, in one of my tests the Dual Squelcher can splat targets in four shots unless they stack three defense ups, in which case it takes five shots.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I think this is the only "shooter" where I like all of the maps. The only things I wish it had were more maps and modes (but that's coming), and that the plaza was full of actual people instead of their characters just standing around.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Had a few good matches with Andi last night. The echolocator and a Charger work pretty well together. But when we were against each other, I wish someone on my team could have used bombs to get you. Between the Mines and the Disruptor on the weapons I use, I can't do much to you with out doing some risky sneaking around.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Regy Rusty posted:

This morning I played with a guy a bunch who kept using the roller but seemed to have no clue you could do anything else but roll with it. Must have splatted him half a dozen times back to back one match.

Then the one after that I got him and two other rollers and managed to carry them kicking and screaming to victory so that was pretty fun.

Finally made it to level 10 so now I'm gonna relax and finish up single player. I can't wait to see this final boss.

Oh god I was in those matches with you this morning. I was one of your two rollers. :D

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Sam Faust posted:

I love the loading screen you get when you launch the game. It's super cute and I think the only time I've noticed the top and bottom screen being different for a game.

It took me longer than I care to admit to realize that the controller's screen is the minimap for what's happening on the TV during the loading. :shobon:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Achti posted:

If you talk to Judd enough, he'll tell you that you won't get a double bonus for having two of the same ability. I think you do get a tiny bonus if you have the same ability several times, but I'd say it's better to just have as many different abilities as possible.

Judd also says that the primary bonus is more powerful than the unlockables, which leads me to believe the diminishing effect won't be too aggressive or it'd render the small bonuses useless.

dog house
Sep 13, 2012

I'm still having a hard time figuring out whether I want to use sticks or the gyro. I'm doing really well with sticks right now but I've only been using the Splattershot Jr. and I can't get a handle on the charger at all.

I think I'm going to just force myself to get use to the gyro controls for awhile otherwise I'm never going to use chargers.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really don't like the mall map, because unlike the others its possible for one team to box the other in so they have no hope of a comeback.

This. There are no alternate routes on that map, just a clusterfuck chokepoint with water on the sides (that drowns you for some reason even though you're a squid). It's definitely the weakest map in my opinion, but 4/5 ain't bad.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh god I was in those matches with you this morning. I was one of your two rollers. :D

Oh so you were! You know that list of all the NNIDs should really have included the display names as well since some of you are harder to recognize.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mall is my favorite right now :shrug:

Last night my girlfriend convinced me to use the roller. I didn't plan on it because GUNS but I ended up playing for 3 hours, getting tons of splats, more points than I ever have, and winning most of my games. It's a great weapons and it's so satisfying to roll smooth lines of paint around.

Is ranked up yet?

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
I can confirm that you can get a "daily" bonus every time the maps rotate out. Just got my second 1400 SO HAWT bonus of the day.

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

Donnerberg posted:

Judd also says that the primary bonus is more powerful than the unlockables, which leads me to believe the diminishing effect won't be too aggressive or it'd render the small bonuses useless.

That would make sense, yeah, but I have some doubts. My new shirt has the same special saver ability in both of its secondary ability slots, but I didn't notice a meaningful difference compared to just one slot.

I guess it's for the better, since this way we won't be seeing instagib splattershots even if people manage to find gear with nothing but dmg+ abilities.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Oxxidation posted:

They're locked behind Amiibos.

why are squid amiibos so expensive what the hell

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Little Mac posted:

why are squid amiibos so expensive what the hell

You can only get them in the triple-pack or the Special Edition of the game :argh:.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can only get them in the triple-pack or the Special Edition of the game :argh:.

i cant find the triple pack except for like 65 dollars and like no

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Anybody else's matchmaking process remarkably slower today?

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Achti posted:

This makes me feel better about getting splatted by that one guy who managed to get 1 defense boost and 3 damage boosts on one shirt.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Man you'd think the matchmaking would know not to put 4 rollers against 4 splattershots

Tempura Wizard posted:

Anybody else's matchmaking process remarkably slower today?

It's been pretty fast for me, I haven't noticed any difference. I'm kind of surprised at how many Japanese players I get matched up with (I'm in Europe) Like 50% of the players in my games are Japanese and I think it's like 4am there or something

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Went through every Walmart Best Buy Target and GameStop looking for the amiibos en route to my good luck TRU - most didn't even have disc copies of the game let alone amiibos
I stroll into the toys r us and there is the display that had like 12 three-packs
Guess I'll be skipping the detours next time I need an amiibo

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Little Mac posted:

i cant find the triple pack except for like 65 dollars and like no

Check if you have a Toy R Us near your area. They seem to get the three pack more then anyone. I was there yesterday and they had about six of the three packs there.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Splat Fest details. You can't play normal games while it's going on, and you can only play with players who pick the same thing you did against people on the other side. You get 2 Snails just for showing up, and the most you can get is 24 if you're dedicated to getting the highest rank and your side wins.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Rirse posted:

Check if you have a Toy R Us near your area. They seem to get the three pack more then anyone. I was there yesterday and they had about six of the three packs there.

This is a pro tip, and what I would suggest as well if you're on the hunt for the 3 pack. I was near the Toys R Us in Framingham MA and they had at least 15+ of the Splatoon 3-packs, along with Wario, Pacman, Silver Mario and Greninja.

I ended up naming my Squid amiibo Squidward, because why not! I think that amiibo is my favorite of the three because I'm imagining the green paint as the slime from Double Dare

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 31, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
also if anybody wants to make some dumb fan art for this game, the fonts used are:

FONTWORKS Rowdy
FONTWORKS NewRodin

grab 'em here: http://funny.computer/cloud/Fonts/

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Kilometers Davis posted:

Mall is my favorite right now :shrug:

Last night my girlfriend convinced me to use the roller. I didn't plan on it because GUNS but I ended up playing for 3 hours, getting tons of splats, more points than I ever have, and winning most of my games. It's a great weapons and it's so satisfying to roll smooth lines of paint around.

Is ranked up yet?

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/604888268157485056

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Jonny_Rocket posted:

This is a pro tip, and what I would suggest as well if you're on the hunt for the 3 pack. I was near the Toys R Us in Framingham MA and they had at least 15+ of the Splatoon 3-packs, along with Wario, Pacman, Silver Mario and Greninja.
Swansea is where I found mine - and they had a similar selection of the others too (mostly pac-man though)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Silentman0 posted:

Splat Fest details. You can't play normal games while it's going on, and you can only play with players who pick the same thing you did against people on the other side. You get 2 Snails just for showing up, and the most you can get is 24 if you're dedicated to getting the highest rank and your side wins.

This sounds really fun. I can't wait

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Swansea is where I found mine - and they had a similar selection of the others too (mostly pac-man though)

Did your Toys R Us have a limit of one character per customer? I think in the long run this worked to my advantage, as since they limited it to one per person there was plenty of stock leftover from Friday's launch

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Darke GBF posted:

This. There are no alternate routes on that map, just a clusterfuck chokepoint with water on the sides (that drowns you for some reason even though you're a squid).

When you encounter water in the campaign, capt cuddlefish says something like "and as you know, sea creatures drown in water!". I guess squid evolution got a little weird at some point.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Lemming posted:

Sea Rig is good when you have a good splat charger who can hold the entire bottom section by themselves

It's bad when the good splat charger is on the other team

Until everyone starts ignoring the bottom section. Then you just sit on your rear end feeling like you're no longer contributing. And your team is down one member fighting for everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Disargeria posted:

When you encounter water in the campaign, capt cuddlefish says something like "and as you know, sea creatures drown in water!". I guess squid evolution got a little weird at some point.

It's probably fresh water and not saltwater :pseudo:.

• Locked thread