Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

etalian posted:

models and top notch prostitutes.

but you repeat yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Vladimir Poutine posted:

also Tetris, phenibut and vodka
also headache pills
as little as i've tried of them, most of them are mild garbage
russian pills (aspirin :ussr:) - like, take two and you can drive nails with your head

e: yeah i realize it's sold everywhere and isn't a russian invention, latvia just happened to have lots of russian/soviet aspirin around when i grew up

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 31, 2015

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Russia is truly a magical place.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Tetris is depressing literature for a technological era.

You be sorting years potato for winter. Wow! Ten potato in row! Then party chairman come and take potato and give points. What points is good for? Nothing.

Such is life.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

BBJoey posted:

why go for stalin when you can go for the source

Ya but that one kinda makes sense as a local historical nod since Chemnitz was called Karl-Marx-Stadt in commie times, and their bigass monument to him which is now a tourist attraction didn't get torn down because the Boches are kinda careful with remembering their history. Stalin on a cc though...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shadeoses posted:

Russia is truly a magical place.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

etalian posted:

russia's main exports are depressing literature, models and top notch prostitutes.

Vladimir Poutine posted:

kalstrams posted:

also headache pills
as little as i've tried of them, most of them are mild garbage
russian pills (aspirin :ussr:) - like, take two and you can drive nails with your head

e: yeah i realize it's sold everywhere and isn't a russian invention, latvia just happened to have lots of russian/soviet aspirin around when i grew up

Dunno why russia is such a depressing place, all this sounds like the recipe for an awesome weekend

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Did he rip off assassin's creed for the title of his book?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

drilldo squirt posted:

Did he rip off assassin's creed for the title of his book?

Assassin's Creed cribbed that from Dostoevsky.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Dunno why russia is such a depressing place, all this sounds like the recipe for an awesome weekend

must they be mutually exclusive? Why is it fair to hate on Russia's shorter life expectancy when people run with the bulls in Spain? (yes yes Spain has better food but cmon)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

syscall girl posted:

Oh hey it's most of the plot to Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption.

except the dude dies at the end cause russia

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

How's Vladislav Surkov doin

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Don't forget Phenazepam.
It is easy to forget powdered amnesia I suppose

MrKonarski
May 9, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

must they be mutually exclusive? Why is it fair to hate on Russia's shorter life expectancy when people run with the bulls in Spain? (yes yes Spain has better food but cmon)

We don't cover walls with rugs

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

StashAugustine posted:

except the dude dies at the end cause russia

Yeah, but he dies in peace 'cause that's a happy Russian story.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
sent to gulag for 26 years but is okay

died with potato in hand

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ive never read a russian novel that ended happily. I've only read one (Crime and Punishment) though I guess Punishment is kind of a happy ending and also I guess Nocnoy Dozor where everything is bad but they go back in time and undo it so it's all good?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Moridin920 posted:

sent to gulag for 26 years but is okay

died with potato in hand

the potato is how you can tell is fiction story.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Assassin's Creed cribbed that from Dostoevsky.

Thank you.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

Ive never read a russian novel that ended happily. I've only read one (Crime and Punishment) though I guess Punishment is kind of a happy ending and also I guess Nocnoy Dozor where everything is bad but they go back in time and undo it so it's all good?
ive read some with good endings, but those were stalker garbage knockups i was buying in spades, $4 a pop

"sasha im just from reactor, so how abo~"
*snaps arounds, hip-firing vintorez sniper rifle into an invisible blooodsucker*
"so, bayb, u wun sum fuk"

but yeah, they had good ends there
russian classics - not so much, in my experience

funnily enough, that's also how most of latvian classical novels pan out - it's literally "sky is bruise, my waif is ded, let me choke on potato"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

at the end of war and peace they kick napoleon out of russia and then everybody high fives and lives happily ever after except the ones who died and the other ones who tolstoy was foreshadowing would become failed revolutionaries in war and peace 2: decembrist boogaloo

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I me a guy who grew up in germany but moved to russia two years ago, very interesting talking about the differences in culture.

The funniest thing was that he told me that smiling and laughing in russia is a sign of weakness or dishonesty when done in public, he was completely blown away at everyone laughing and having a good time while in Berlin.

Laughing is a sign of weakness haha what a hosed up country.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Son of Rodney posted:

I me a guy who grew up in germany but moved to russia two years ago, very interesting talking about the differences in culture.

The funniest thing was that he told me that smiling and laughing in russia is a sign of weakness or dishonesty when done in public, he was completely blown away at everyone laughing and having a good time while in Berlin.

i had a russian teacher once who was a really happy guy and when he was in russia he would go around smiling at everybody and if someone asked him how he was doing he would be like "I'm good", like you would here in Canada

everyone thought he was loving crazy cause no one smiles at strangers there and if someone asks how you are it's just an opportunity for you to tell them about how lovely your life is, or at most say "not bad" or "im normal"

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Son of Rodney posted:

so the totem pole for humourlessness is something like

Normal Human
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
German
=
=
=
=
=
Russian

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing

Son of Rodney posted:

This is kind of blowing my mind. Are there figures for international depression/misery rates because something tells me the ruskies are top 5

Imagine living in a place where enjoying life makes you a freak

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kasonic posted:

This is kind of blowing my mind. Are there figures for international depression/misery rates because something tells me the ruskies are top 5

Imagine living in a place where enjoying life makes you a freak

This is a good article:
http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2014/sep/02/dying-russians/

Basically russia has much higher rates of depression, suicide and also death by accidents compared to western european countries.

Was a combination of any sort of safety net getting yanked out in post-soviet russia and also how russian culture tends to have fatalistic attitude don't/can't change anything.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
All the russian lit talk reminded me of one of my favorites: Ward number 6 by Chekhov.

..... which also ends depressingly.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Moridin920 posted:

Russians are depressing as gently caress look at the summary of this story "God Sees the Truth, But Waits" by Tolstoy

what a loving wank im glad they remade that and cleaned off all the gross russia dah such is life bullshit

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Russia: the state where happiness is impossible.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Son of Rodney posted:

laughing without reason is a sign of idiocy
im serious, it's saying in russian

vyelkin posted:

everyone thought he was loving crazy cause no one smiles at strangers there and if someone asks how you are it's just an opportunity for you to tell them about how lovely your life is, or at most say "not bad" or "im normal"
i want to go to some western non-scandinavian country, i'd probably feel weird as gently caress if strangers would smile to me and "how are you" questions would have answers different from "not bad" or worse

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 31, 2015

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

etalian posted:

Was a combination of any sort of safety net getting yanked out in post-soviet russia and also how russian culture tends to have fatalistic attitude don't/can't change anything.

In some regions it may in part stem from the extremely high latitude. High northern winters gently caress with your brain chemistry because you don't get enough sunlight. Nordic countries have markably higher suicide rates than would be expected given their high standard of living and strong social safety nets.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

syscall girl posted:

Oh hey it's most of the plot to Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption.

tolstoy should get his own material what a loving plagiarist

does he write for DC or marvel

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
master and margarita ends with the heroes living together happily in the afterlife so I guess that counts for a good ending

oh and Pontius Pilate(and his dog) gets an amnesty from god

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

kalstrams posted:

i want to go to some western non-scandinavian country, i'd probably feel weird as gently caress if strangers would smile to me and "how are you" questions would have answers different from "not bad" or worse

does this even exist, everyone in western europe is miserable as well

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jonad posted:

In some regions it may in part stem from the extremely high latitude. High northern winters gently caress with your brain chemistry because you don't get enough sunlight. Nordic countries have markably higher suicide rates than would be expected given their high standard of living and strong social safety nets.

Russians are somewhat unique since it took tyrants like Peter the Great to make even consider or least force them to change their ways.

Lots of other foreign visitors like Custine or de Tocqueville observed a fatalism in the russian mindset, "it can't be helped"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

does this even exist, everyone in western europe is miserable as well
no idea, but i always get a vibe like that from this thread

Lichy posted:

master and margarita ends with the heroes living together happily in the afterlife so I guess that counts for a good ending

oh and Pontius Pilate(and his dog) gets an amnesty from god
:ironicat:

Rodnik
Dec 20, 2003

It was actually ripped off of the story Alamut by Vladimir Bartol, a Slovenian, who in turn was influenced by Dostoevsky's line "If God doesn't exist, everything is permitted."

Bartol's line is "Nothing is an absolute reality, all is permitted."

Rodnik fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 31, 2015

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIvtuLOJTtY

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Can't be russia. Too colorful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

JaucheCharly posted:

Can't be russia. Too colorful.

Probably correct, looks like it is road line paint and I don't think they use that in Russia.

• Locked thread