Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

orcane posted:

Buy a new game every 4 (realistically every 3 unless you're too impatient to wait for deals and need to preorder everything as it's announced) months vs. playing the enticing and not at all gated content of an MMO for that duration, hmm.

1 game every 4 months? What are you, poor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

i'm excited for where this argument is going

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

:munch:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

mulodyne posted:

i'm excited for where this argument is going

Looks for me like it's already in the toilet and trying to flush itself.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Is 15$ really even that much anymore? I didn't feel it was that much 10 years ago when I was a dumb highschool kid, and everything else in life has gotten more expensive since then while no sub cost has risen past the 15$ mark.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Deki posted:

Is 15$ really even that much anymore? I didn't feel it was that much 10 years ago when I was a dumb highschool kid, and it certainly hasn't increased since then.

The value has actually decreased in comparison to what you can actually buy with it, but that's what makes it so much more important to people.

Then again, trying to frame personal entertainment in an economic sense is what's actually stupid about this argument, but, ya know

:munch:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

orcane posted:

Buy a new game every 4 (realistically every 3 unless you're too impatient to wait for deals and need to preorder everything as it's announced) months vs. playing the enticing and not at all gated content of an MMO for that duration, hmm.

I think my Wow + City of Heroes + whatever other miscellaneous sub fee escapades total, easily, ~500$ per game, which, hourly, I can't really properly hash out, because, while sometimes they're fun, I'd probably classify about 3/4s of the time playing as a fee I paid with my limited time on earth to experience the other 1/4. At my hourly rate, that puts the costs into the 1000s.

I honestly wish, I had an even stronger aversion to grinding than I already do. It only took me 10 hours to decide that dragonquest V was a dumb loving waste of my time. I think my /played in Wow was at least in the weeks by the time I finally put that down forever.

Conservatively, I'd say there's about 4 hours of gameplay in WoW. Including all expansions.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
COH was pretty great (at least in its earlier form) because loot was so abstracted and your only real motivation for doing stuff was the fun it provided. Granted, later on they caved and provided phatness of lewt but when it was new it was really refreshing. While there was some really fun content at the end, there was also a massive syndrome of gear uberness that really made me sad, remembering how it started out. They also had a really cruddy F2P model.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
CoH had an endgame? Man I was playing that game completely wrong.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
the best f2p mmo is wow wildstar is late to the party again

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Mayor McCheese posted:

CoH had an endgame? Man I was playing that game completely wrong.

like five or six years into the game they started giving it a proper endgame. i dont know how much people cared since everyone i knew just kept playing it like they always had, rolling endless alts, taking one or two 'mains' into the endgame

it wasn't too bad, but it wasn't great either. let you get crazy OP and summon armies of robots and do huge burst heals and crazy chain lightning murder damage and all sorts of other dumb stuff which was fun at least

CoH overall was kind of just "this game is not the best, but it is a fun MMO where i can be whatever i want" throughout it's lifespan and nothing else really replaced it as that

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I stopped playing the game shortly after the release of the villains expansion, but the thing I disliked about it was that the main reason to play was making a ton of cool alts, but the exp grind was slow as hell. Did they ever improve that?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Yeah, they improved it by removing it entirely. Also the rest of the game as well.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Kelp Plankton posted:

like five or six years into the game they started giving it a proper endgame. i dont know how much people cared since everyone i knew just kept playing it like they always had, rolling endless alts, taking one or two 'mains' into the endgame

it wasn't too bad, but it wasn't great either. let you get crazy OP and summon armies of robots and do huge burst heals and crazy chain lightning murder damage and all sorts of other dumb stuff which was fun at least

CoH overall was kind of just "this game is not the best, but it is a fun MMO where i can be whatever i want" throughout it's lifespan and nothing else really replaced it as that

If you ask me more games need to approach the idea of balance from the perspective of 'everything is overpowered, including the enemies so you're going to need it'. Admittedly CoH kinda failed at the second part, especially later on.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

It works for Diablo 3. The designers stated goal in the current versions of Diablo 3 is to make the player feel so overpowered that they feel like they're breaking the game... Yet somehow, I find ways to lose HC characters all the time...

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Belzac posted:

Yeah, they improved it by removing it entirely. Also the rest of the game as well.

:drat:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

The Moon Monster posted:

I stopped playing the game shortly after the release of the villains expansion, but the thing I disliked about it was that the main reason to play was making a ton of cool alts, but the exp grind was slow as hell. Did they ever improve that?

Even near release it never felt terribly slow to level to me, but that's all subjective :shrug:

Belzac posted:

:smith:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
City of Heroes wasn't a very good game, hth.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
It was decent but not even remotely good enough to justify the amount of mourning over it's death.

Deki fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 1, 2015

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/WildStarOps/status/605198337009184768

:allears:

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

ahahhahaa

Have they done a single holiday successfully yet?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

isn't the anniversary 'event' just a cosmetic pet, title, and housing item? how can that go so wrong

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
At this point I expect their Free to Play conversion to credit people money back that they have spent on this game.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

This is even funnier considering they already canceled Christmas. Then later spouted some crap about being too hardcore for holidays or something like that.

...cupcake.

Gaybee
Jul 16, 2002
Happy Birthday, Wildstar

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Saxophone posted:

This is even funnier considering they already canceled Christmas. Then later spouted some crap about being too hardcore for holidays or something like that.

...cupcake.

Please tell me more :allears:

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I'm amazed do at all the sickbrained people who are seriously considering going back to wildstar because of "oh my house" or whatever. There are ten of thousands of ways to spend your life. Do anything else besides play wildstar. Literally anything.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Rexicon1 posted:

I'm amazed do at all the sickbrained people who are seriously considering going back to wildstar because of "oh my house" or whatever. There are ten of thousands of ways to spend your life. Do anything else besides play wildstar. Literally anything.

people that play mmo's are fundamentally broken

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Velthice posted:

I know :smith:

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Velthice posted:

Ammend this to also include people who played mmos in the past because I am clean but I know I am a 15 dollar payment to blizzard away from falling back down the rabbit hole.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Just play FF14 instead. Make a catgirl with hosed up eyes and bemoan the fact that at this point you'll never have your own house.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Rexicon1 posted:

Housing was like, the one thing Carbine did right, so I can see people playing Galactic Interior Designer for free as a time killer.

Although the drawback to that plan is that, in order to get more furniture and stuff, you have to play this terrible minigame called Wildstar.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Rexicon1 posted:

When the f2p conversion was announced, I downloaded the game for shits and giggles because I'm a moron (a reoccuring theme) and didn't check the date. Upon finding a 10 day trial on my account, I did what every tcc goon would do with a powdery substance of questionable origin and stuck it in my butt.

I play MMOs like huge as gently caress open world singleplayer games with the MMO part being a neat bonus and generally don't care about the endgame because running the same instances over and over quickly gets dull. I played the beta but I only saw bits of the four Dominion newbie zones and Everstar Woods with a bit of Celestion split about evenly over a Spellslinger, Esper and Engineer, so I picked an Exile Human Esper mostly for the soundtrack but also because the Dominion plot flips between wacky and serious in the dumbest ways and while I generally don't mind the Chua monkey cheese as much, Dominion goes :regd08: on that.

The game still doesn't run that well considering the graphics, but they have fixed the terrible microstuttering at some point. The UI is still pretty terrible but it doesn't constantly crash and run like poo poo anymore, admittedly not exactly a high bar. Pumping shift to get anywhere still sucks, should've just made 30% faster speed baseline out of combat. Early combat feels alright, much better than low levels in WoW and FFXIV. Mobs have a short aggro range which is great, but enemy density is far too high which sucks when you want to climb things and explore. The Northern Winds plot hook was extremely flat ( oh no, people died, also my wife :geno: ), especially compared to Everstar Grove which was neat and worked well, I thought. Challenges seem to have been reworked to be less poo poo, most were easy enough to not demand your full attention while being short enough to not feel like a drag and there's no penalty for just dropping them and doing them later. The automatic start still is dumb as gently caress though, especially for races. In the 7-14 zone you're dropped down right next to a mountain range and huge floating chunks of rock and given a 10x jump boost and it's great. Feels like they could have done more with it, the verticality and mobility are by far the most enjoyable things about this game. Explorer path stuff is neat and you get to triple jump early on, the other paths might not even exist. The quests are boring but they're inoffensive enough that I sort of complete them in the background while getting the hang of combat and climbing things. Pretty princess dress-up is actually pretty decent right now. They've thrown out the previous systems and now use something like GW2 and Rift (yay!) except you have to pay a small fee to unlock skins (boo!). Dyes are free to unlock (yay!), but cost a small amount on application (boo!).The system works off item names instead of skin tags, so you can accidentally unlock the same skin off of two different items which sucks but is understandable.

The game is clearly not great, but so far I've been... enjoying it? It helps that my expectations are at ground floor, but the early leveling feels alright.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 1, 2015

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
If you want a single player MMO play Dragon Age: Inquisition. All the lovely trappings of a MMO there.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

frajaq posted:

Please tell me more :allears:

He can't because it's not something that actually happened.

When they finally admitted that "ya everything's pretty much hosed" they said that even though a lot of the holiday stuff was already complete, that they weren't going to devote any more dev time to it since they had such a colossal mound of other poo poo to fix.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Whoa, easy there, guy. I could be mistaken, it's been a while since I roasted wieners over the dumpster fire. I do know there was a big thing about cancelling Christmas.

And I thought I remembered something about them spouting off about how holidays were a waste of time, etc.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Saxophone posted:

Whoa, easy there, guy. I could be mistaken, it's been a while since I roasted wieners over the dumpster fire. I do know there was a big thing about cancelling Christmas.

And I thought I remembered something about them spouting off about how holidays were a waste of time, etc.

There wasn't any spouting off or attitude about it at all. You can easily find the video where the guy talks about it. You can even search SA and find Cyster's posts about it.

They already had considerable time in on the holiday events, the Halloween one in particular, but when they finally realized all the poo poo is hosed, it got moved to a lower priority behind getting the rest of the game un-hosed. Last I remember they're supposed to be in this year (presuming that it makes it that far.)

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Ah, OK. My bad, yo. :(

Still though, Wildstar Cancels Christmas was pretty entertaining.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Really it was the best thing they could have done. Freeing themselves from having to do those holiday events gave them enough time to really turn their game around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
Hey guys did you see that sick new drop? The one that added

• Locked thread