Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

You jest but I'd kill a man to move back there. And if System Metternich is living inside the Gürtel that cheaply, that goes double. :cryinbundesadler:

No worries, the Gürtel is still two tram stations away from me ;) It's still the 18th district though (wo die Gstopften wohnen)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Honj Steak posted:

Yeah Vienna is one of the cheapest major cities in Europe while being at the same time in the top spots of every "most liveable cities" ranking. The downside: It's in Austria. :v:

I'll bite, what's so bad with Austria? When I was daydreaming about living in Europe, Vienna seemed like a top contender. Is your german hosed up like Switzerland's?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Markovnikov posted:

I'll bite, what's so bad with Austria? When I was daydreaming about living in Europe, Vienna seemed like a top contender. Is your german hosed up like Switzerland's?

They smoke a lot.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Markovnikov posted:

It's just the usual Eastern Bloc problems.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Markovnikov posted:

Deadend pedolandia full of identically boring 18th century palaces and Germans, hasn't produced any good music ever apart from some medieval hoodle doodle dum film score piano poo poo

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Markovnikov posted:

Nah, it's not so bad actually. While Austrian German is certainly distinct (and shares a lot with the Bavarian dialects), it's not as far away from the German spoken in Germany as Swiss German. Especially in the bigger cities like Vienna and Salzburg you nowadays mostly won't have problems understanding the people if you're used to the language of for example Frankfurt or Munich. Austrians tend to stick to themselves a lot and they're probably politically more conservative than the average German, but then again they have the better comedians and Vienna is one of the best theatre + music places you will ever find. I would certainly enjoy living in Austria if I had to. :v:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Markovnikov posted:

Vienna is a legitimately brilliant city but it's surrounded by crazy facists and everyone smoke too much.

So essentially it's downsides are the same as any other european city.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Honj Steak posted:

Nah, it's not so bad actually. While Austrian German is certainly distinct (and shares a lot with the Bavarian dialects), it's not as far away from the German spoken in Germany as Swiss German. Especially in the bigger cities like Vienna and Salzburg you nowadays mostly won't have problems understanding the people if you're used to the language of for example Frankfurt or Munich. Austrians tend to stick to themselves a lot and they're probably politically more conservative than the average German, but then again they have the better comedians and Vienna is one of the best theatre + music places you will ever find. I would certainly enjoy living in Austria if I had to. :v:
WOW, better comedians than Germany?!

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Ras Het posted:

hasn't produced any good music ever apart from some medieval hoodle doodle dum film score piano poo poo

And not even much of that, if you excuse the Czechs and Hungarians from being appropriated.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I deemed it impossible, too. But it's actually true. :eyepop:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

How much is average/minimum wage in Austria? Uhh, asking for a friend.

EDIT: Is this it?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Honj Steak posted:

I deemed it impossible, too. But it's actually true. :eyepop:
I guess it's true though, Austria did pull the biggest prank ever on Germany.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Disco Infiva posted:

There's no universally set minimum wage, instead unions and employers negotiate collective contracts that vary depending on which profession you work in. Virtually all contracts set a minimum wage of at least 14,000€ a year, though. This doesn't apply to freelancers and contractors, and these forms of employment have been steadily on the rise for the last two decades or so.

The median gross income for men was €31,961 in 2013 (see here)

Ras Het posted:

Deadend pedolandia full of identically boring 18th century palaces and Germans, hasn't produced any good music ever apart from some medieval hoodle doodle dum film score piano poo poo

gently caress you, Falco and EAV are great t:mad:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

System Metternich posted:

There's no universally set minimum wage, instead unions and employers negotiate collective contracts that vary depending on which profession you work in. Virtually all contracts set a minimum wage of at least 14,000€ a year, though. This doesn't apply to freelancers and contractors, and these forms of employment have been steadily on the rise for the last two decades or so.

The median gross income for men was €31,961 in 2013 (see here)

gently caress you, Falco and EAV are great t:mad:

Awesome, thanks.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

A Buttery Pastry posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i17B2K2mCDg Bonus: it's for train users.

Small reference:
Rapidler = Team Rapid footie fan
Tschicken = smoking
Schaas = fart
Gschnas = party

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Disco Infiva posted:

There's no way that that's the minimum wage in Belgium. First of all, it varies by sector. Second, the gross minimum wage in most sectors is around € 1400-1500 [for an adult worker with no experience].

Where did they get their data from?

e: and if it's average wage, it's either too low or the map is outdated.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ras Het posted:

On the other hand, Austria did give us a great, world-class political leader and a body builder (different people)!

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Phlegmish posted:

There's no way that that's the minimum wage in Belgium. First of all, it varies by sector. Second, the gross minimum wage in most sectors is around € 1400-1500 [for an adult worker with no experience].

Where did they get their data from?

e: and if it's average wage, it's either too low or the map is outdated.

Average wage after taxes?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The greatest con Austria ever pulled was convincing the world Beethoven was Austrian and Hitler was German

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The map is from wikipedia, it's median wage IIRC. Also the numbers can be from different years.

I spent a lot of time looking at that map when thinking how I should GTFO from one of the yellow countries.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Ras Het posted:

Maybe part time workers are included as well.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ras Het posted:

Hmm...possible. It's generally not advised to ever use net wages as a measure for anything since so much depends on people's personal situations and specific calculations, but if the actual goal is to take tax pressure into account, it might make sense.

mobby_6kl posted:

The map is from wikipedia, it's median wage IIRC. Also the numbers can be from different years.

I spent a lot of time looking at that map when thinking how I should GTFO from one of the yellow countries.

Then I would assume it's outdated, I make more than that and I have a perfectly average salary for someone starting out in their first real job.

Also, about getting the gently caress out, don't forget to take cost of living into account. For example, good luck buying a house as a twenty-something in most of Flanders if you don't have rich parents or you're not willing to take out a huge mortgage.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 31, 2015

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

mobby_6kl posted:

lol look at this posh tosser in his cushy yellow country

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Austria did give us a great, world-class political leader

You're talking about Frank Stronach right?

Sadly, I can't seem to find an English writeup of the hilarity that surrounds him, so I'll try and summarise it: Frank Stronach is an Austro-Canadian billionaire who made his money as CEO of Magna International, one of the world's largest automobile parts manufacturer and supplier. He tried to enter Canadian politics in the 80s and failed, after which he returned to Austria and at first tried to set up some enterprises there, proposing an amusement park in Lower Austria featuring a massive globe with a 100m radius that would have been visible from literally everywhere in the Vienna Basin (failed) or succesfully preventing works councils in his companies, in direct violation of Austrian law. He also invested heavily in Austrian football: at its height, Austria Wien had three times the budget of its next competitor and still failed to dominate the league, which may have also been due to Stronach being completely clueless when it came to football. However he established a number of foundations and institutes: The Frank Stronach Football Academy, the Frank Stronach Institute at the Technical university in Graz, the Frank Stronach Institute for Socio-Economic Justice and the Frank Stronach Research Group as well the Frank Stronach Research Fellowship in Innsbruck. Not to forget: he also started a weekly column in a newspaper titled "Frank's world" and started an energy drink brand creatively named "Frank's Energy Drink". See a pattern yet? :v:

Yes, good Frankie Stronach is very sure of himself and of his good, nay, great ideas. When his various institutes started lobbying for concepts like a flat tax, an immediate debt limit for the state and a massive reduction of bureaucracy and state power and Stronach started placing massive ads in various tabloids which showed his face and demanded a "revolution for Austria", Austrian media saw it as a sure sign that the man himself was about to enter politics. Stronach himself vehemently denied this on multiple occasions, before - you guessed it - announcing the start of a new party he called "Team Stronach" shortly afterwards. The new party only announced its programme five months before the 2013 elections, and yet it already had a faction in parliament - Stronach convinced several MPs to switch to his party. Amongst the party's demands were, besides its basic key words of "truth, transparency and fairness": abolishing the Euro, a flat tax of 25%, an immediate and permanent stop to new debts, minimising state influence in favour of the glorious free market and reintroducing tuition fees, but with a twist: they rise and fall depending on how much in demand your degree is. Wanna study history, linguistics or cultural studies? Too bad, I hope you've got rich parents!

Stronach said in an interview that he was aiming for at least ten percent in the upcoming elections - only a couple of days later he was already shooting for 20-30 percent and the chancellorship (though not for himself, of course). But alas, it was not to be: after pulling stunts like for some reason posing half-nakedly in front of the cameras (just a reminder: when this went down, he was 80) and demanding capital punishment (which has been unconstitutional in Austria since 1968) for hitmen during a TV interview (the best part: after saying this, he turned to his shocked assistant who sat behind him and told her verbatim: "Did you listen, Kathrin? We haven't talked about this yet, this will get into our party programme.", just like that) his party reached only 5.7%, after which he disappointedly fired pretty much everyone, resigned as a member of parliament and demanded the 30 million euros back he had invested in the party - apparently it had just been a "loan". Despite having 11 seats in parliament, the party is pretty much dead now.

So yeah, that's the story of Austria's very own captain of the industry. Sadly he didn't also have his own blimp :D

e: today is also the day where the right-wing populist FPÖ gained massive wins in the state elections of Styria and Burgenland. This really sucks :(

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 1, 2015

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

e: today is also the day where the right-wing populist FPÖ gained massive wins in the state elections of Styria and Burgenland. This really sucks :(

That does suck. Everyone I met called him “Little Hitler,” though it was mostly folks from Upper Austria, Salzburg, and Vienna. Didn’t run into too many Styrians and Burgenlanders.

E: him being HC Strache

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Accretionist posted:

I'm making a county-level map of the United States color-coded to show the relationship between cost-of-living and the minimum wage. Any advice on making it pretty/readable or really exemplary color-coded maps I should rip off? This is just a little hobby project for learning scripting/coding but I want something legit to pass around.

(Saturday night, motherfuckers!)

Aliquid posted:

Find the median, then go something like Dark Red <- Light Red <- Median -> Light Blue -> Dark Blue

More colors if you have extreme results, I guess.

Accretionist posted:

Once I get the scripting figured out, I don't think it shouldn't take more than a few minutes for each color scheme. I'll give this a go!

I was thinking a version where it's Red <-> Dark Green, with six gradations, according to whether the MW is <100% CoL to > 124% CoL might be good, or better with better colors. Turn it into a GO/NOGO kind of deal.

Using two different colors around a median is a diverging color scale. Don't use a diverging color scale unless the central point has meaning, i.e. you want to emphasize the distinction between being just under and just over. IMO the median doesn't count as an inherently meaningful central point. Regardless of the overall situation throughout the country you'll get 50% on one side and 50% on the other. Therefore it doesn't tell you anything. A meaningful point of divergence would be perhaps the point where minimum-wage wages per year equals cost-of-living per year. Instead of red vs. blue being mostly meaningless now it tells you where minimum wage is a living wage. If the map is 95% red it would be dramatic, for example. However, chances are it would be 100% red so you'd end up with a sequential scale. Which, if you can't come up with an inherently meaningful divergence point, is what you should use anyway.

I'd also highly recommend a continuous scale rather than a discrete scale.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Instead of red vs. blue being mostly meaningless now it tells you where minimum wage is a living wage. If the map is 95% red it would be dramatic, for example.

I'm still ding donging around trying to get python to work right but the data's all in Excel and you're pretty much right.

Only 25/3,146 of counties, parishes, etc. clear 100% of baseline cost-of-living. And 24/25 are in Washington state, where the minimum wage is $9.47 and ratchets up every year automatically.

Accordingly, I'm thinking I could do a pair of maps: Sufficiency vs Insufficiency. The range is 50% (Arlington County, VA) to 109% (Pend Orielle County, WA), so, I was thinking 150% (dark green) to 100% (beige) vs 100% (beige) to 50% (dark red) would be visually impactful and reasonable.

fake edit: The 25th place is Union County, Oregon.

Real edit: And I'm using current minimum wages. e.g. Seattle passed $15/hr but the current step is $11 so that's what I put them down for.

Edit 2:

Still haven't straightened out my python installation so this is still crude and ugly and the divisions are dumb, too, but it's hilarious:

The color scheme's basically:

<100%: Beige
<102.5%: Light green
<105%: Medium green
>105%: Dark green

Haha, look at it. That's terrible.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 1, 2015

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I'd also highly recommend a continuous scale rather than a discrete scale.

Totally agree about the midpoint, but if he's taking the ramp from colorbrewer then those ramps are not really supposed to be that great when you interpolate values to make them into continuous ramps. They'll be okay, but not great.

If you are choosing a continuous ramp then try to do the interpolation in Lab space rather than rgb (or make a continuous ramp that varies in more than just hue), especially for ramps like greens or blues where the darker ends are sort of perceptually squashed.

Oh and i'd say be careful with your dark red to dark green ramp to make sure it is colorblind safe if that's an option for you

e: nvm if you want to make a good chart just do the literal opposite of this:

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 1, 2015

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Tree Goat posted:

e: nvm if you want to make a good chart just do the literal opposite of this:

#highprofits

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

You're talking about Frank Stronach right?

:words:

So, he was basically a run of the mill USA Republican?

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Disco Infiva posted:

Dutch minimum wage for a fulltime job before taxes is currently €1501.80, so that map is loving wrong as gently caress if it's indeed about that.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's almost certainly meant to be median income, but even then it's dubious as hell. For instane in the Czech Republic the median was approx. 950 EUR for the latest published data, given the conversion rate at the time.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

The greatest con Austria ever pulled was convincing the world Beethoven was Austrian and Hitler was German

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
hahaha I love it

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's the little things, like the prostrated France

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
It's a few days old and I don't have the story anymore, but does anyone have that map from the Guardian about how you can get to (I think) Amsterdam more quickly via train from London than to the Highlands?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

It's a few days old and I don't have the story anymore, but does anyone have that map from the Guardian about how you can get to (I think) Amsterdam more quickly via train from London than to the Highlands?

That's not that shocking, Amsterdam is a closer to London than Scotland is.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

A quick search tells me for tomorrow, you can grab a train at 06.50 from London to Brussels-South, wait half an hour and then grab a connection to Amsterdam Central and arrive there by 14.04. (13.04 London time). So roughly around six hours. I have no idea how how you would travel from London to the Highlands though, no experience with that.

Of course, you could simply grab a flight from Gatwick to Schiphol and save two hours :v:

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 1, 2015

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

If the criteria is the actual Highlands then it's a pretty terrible comparison because the low/highland boundary runs diagonally from SW to NE, with the line in the east moving gradually north as your approach it. You can get a train from London to Stirling (where you can actually see the Highlands beginning) in 5.5 hours, but you're still not in the Highlands proper; they begin just a few miles north of the city but the closest Highland train station is Stonehaven, 100 miles north (6.5 hours direct from London).

Having said that, the Guardian article was probably about Eurostar extending to Amsterdam in the near future, which will make it almost insanely fast. Forget the Highlands, you won't be able to get anywhere near Scotland itself in the time it'll take you to be chomping spacecakes off a hookers rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

There is this cool site that shows travel time from lots of major European cities throughout the continent: http://emptypipes.org/

While looking around, I also found this site which plots 2-10 minute isochrone maps for every point of the world and adjusts it for various times of the day and days of the week. Not too sure how accurate it is, however.

And lastly, have two older isochrone maps, one for the entire world from London in 1881 and one for Austria-Hungary from Vienna in 1912: