Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

anne frank fanfic posted:

these patches never help with the game crashing every hour

Mine was doing that until I made it true full screen, not windowed.

Where can I get a new silver sword? I'm level 8 and still using the basic one :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006
A fix I found for crashing is disconnect or power off extra monitors. My main display is 144hz and my other 2 are 60hz. The game was crashing frequently in the inventory usually when I read a book or note. Turned off the other monitors and have not had 1 crash in over 50 hours of play.

I have my settings full screen and unlimited FPS. Hardware mouse.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Mine was doing that until I made it true full screen, not windowed.

Where can I get a new silver sword? I'm level 8 and still using the basic one :(

Check blacksmiths and vendors for maps, one of them should start a quest for the Witcher Griffin set. This set includes some pretty decent swords, both a steel and a silver one.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

GrossMurpel posted:

I still wonder how that could be insulting.
Just like in the beginning of W2 "folk say they plough witches come the equinox!"
Oh no what a terrible accusation :confused: or was he just jealous?

Witches in the Witcher universe are typically not impossibly attractive like the Sorceresses who can ensorcell themselves. Some of them can be attractive like whatsherface from Witcher 1 but most of them tend to be either normal looking or long-lived and haggish.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I just fought a succubus in Novigrad and for some reason Geralt used his steel sword on her instead of his silver one. Aren't succubi magical creatures? Is this a bug?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
I'm on a quest involving gang warfare over Gwent cards :psyduck:

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Petition to rename thread to Witcher 3 - God dammit Roach

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MadJackMcJack posted:

This is what happens in the real world with Magic The Gathering cards.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Why is online Gwent not a thing?

Because it's a game almost entirely based on how many healers and spies you have in your deck, that has ill defined rules for what you're actually allowed to put in your deck.

Theoretically the only thing stopping Geralt from having a deck of 50 avellach cards is because he doesn't happen to have that many of those cards.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Question about Count Reuven's Treasure

Is there a way to actually find the treasure? I just found the vault key but didn't find the Vault

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

theblackw0lf posted:

Question about Count Reuven's Treasure

Is there a way to actually find the treasure? I just found the vault key but didn't find the Vault

You can't find it, but if you ask Mengel about it before you ask him about Dandelion he'll tell you it's in a vault in Kovir. If you do ask him that though, he'll grow suspicious when you ask about Dandelion, and you'll have to fight him before he answers that, which makes Triss mad.

Xenoith
Aug 30, 2011

by Ralp

Asuron posted:

Guys I'm still doing the Bloody Baron quests where I'm now searching for his wife and my game time says I've played for over twenty hours. I keep getting distracted by all these Witcher contracts and cool side quests and I'm worried I'm going to end up overlevelled for all the main quest stuff later on if I keep doing this. Am I right to be concerned or can I keep doing side quests as much as I want. I mean by now I would've just gone ahead and progressed, but quests I thought meant nothing end up with things like meeting Lethos and I really don't want to overlook them.

Well, what level are you? I really doubt you're going to be overleveled much. I went to Novigrad and was getting lv25 quests at lv11..

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MadJackMcJack posted:

one of the gwent questlines also leads to a sex scene.

Geralt knew getting obsessed with the cards wasn't for nothing.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

Because it's a game almost entirely based on how many healers and spies you have in your deck, that has ill defined rules for what you're actually allowed to put in your deck.

Theoretically the only thing stopping Geralt from having a deck of 50 avellach cards is because he doesn't happen to have that many of those cards.

Yeah it's kinda intense to play against the few NPCs with a good deck but player vs player would just be endless spying, decoying and medicing.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Broken Cog posted:

You can't find it, but if you ask Mengel about it before you ask him about Dandelion he'll tell you it's in a vault in Kovir. If you do ask him that though, he'll grow suspicious when you ask about Dandelion, and you'll have to fight him before he answers that, which makes Triss mad.

Huh, so how do I (minor Brothers in Arms spoilers) Get Djikstra to agree to join? He's pissed I didn't find his treasure

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
The Get Junior quest has grown so convoluted I don't remember why I need to get him. dijkstra has already told me what I want to know.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

One of my favorite part of the game is when the "help Dandelionto turn his brothel into a cabaret" quest turns into "FROM HELL: Novigrad Edition". Even if the real culprit identity is a little too obvious. Yeah, sure, it's working with corpses that makes you look so young. :rolleyes:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Baron Bifford posted:

I just fought a succubus in Novigrad and for some reason Geralt used his steel sword on her instead of his silver one. Aren't succubi magical creatures? Is this a bug?

Its a glitch because they didn't expect anyone to kill the succubus, you monster. :colbert:

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

So uh, where the hell is a guy to make me some swords? Just ran around getting all my Feline armor and while there is the dude in the square for the armor I can't find a swordsmith in Novigrad to save my life.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

The Get Junior quest has grown so convoluted I don't remember why I need to get him. dijkstra has already told me what I want to know.

This just happened to me this morning. I did the quest where Triss gets tortured and we found out where Dandelion is, but then I had to do Get Junior anyway.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arrgytehpirate posted:

So uh, where the hell is a guy to make me some swords? Just ran around getting all my Feline armor and while there is the dude in the square for the armor I can't find a swordsmith in Novigrad to save my life.

There's a quest in Novigrad that unlocks the Mastersmith for weapons.

Can't remember the name but you get directed to meet an Elf, he has some issues you need to resolve and doing that unlocks his service

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

There's a quest in Novigrad that unlocks the Mastersmith for weapons.

Can't remember the name but you get directed to meet an Elf, he has some issues you need to resolve and doing that unlocks his service

Oh, yeah. I've had it since I walked into Novigrad but since it was 24 I put it off. I guess I'll go do it now. 18 should be high enough.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

that whole part of the game kind of lost me too. i almost think the complexity of that part was intentional

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Blaisedell posted:

What a brilliant game. Perhaps the first RPG where it's actually worth watching the facial animation during conversation and not just looking at the subtitles.

I'm not far in but I was really impressed with the range of emotion and emoting from the Bloody Baron. I actually kinda felt for him...

Interestingly, so far, I'd actually probably rate Geralt as the worst-acted so far. And even he is not really "bad", just kinda "medieval hammy solid snake".

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Too lazy to launch the game for a screenshot
From the armor smith in Hierarch Square, run past Vivaldis Bank, take a right and two lefts (onto the muddy marketsquare) and you should be standing right in front of his forge.
Dude has some pretty sweet work hours, he hardly shows up before 11 am.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Blue Raider posted:

that whole part of the game kind of lost me too. i almost think the complexity of that part was intentional

It is

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Teleport to the square, walk west until out of the square a bit, should be a bit of an underpass if you turn left from there (south) walk through then hang an immediate left, sword smith, he usually isn't there but there should be a tiny shop front with an anvil and hammer, just meditate an hour and he appears.

Also, I like how 1.03 popped up in like a day, fixed a bunch of stuff, then 1.04 popped like the next day, and hosed up a bunch of poo poo, notably having everyone's helmets and beards take a second to "pop in" every single time they change cameras in conversations. so much Geralt beard pop.

Can I roll back to 1.03 in GoG without having to download the 22gb 1.0 then 1.02 then 1.03? wasn't really too concerned since they were popping out patches really quick but it's been like a week since 1.04

ah save issues, gently caress nevermind

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 31, 2015

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Is there any reason to still be hanging on to the Viper sword or the old level 1 warrior's tunic at level 22? I need to prune inventory space.

Also who buys crossbow bolts?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I want to know something about the quest Phantom of Eldberg. Do we ever get to find out what events lead to the appearance of the Penitent? Or did I miss something? I went the quest a bit rear end backwards, first stumbling across the lighthouse keeper and only later going to collect my reward.

And apparently cashing my reward was just the beginning of a new questline... Jorund, nooooo! Of all the souls I encountered, his was the most... northern.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

CVagts posted:

Is there any reason to still be hanging on to the Viper sword or the old level 1 warrior's tunic at level 22? I need to prune inventory space.

Nope, you only upgrade the Griffin/Cat/Bear stuff so hold onto the lower level versions of that but you can sell the Viper swords and starter armor.

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011

CVagts posted:

Also who buys crossbow bolts?

Nope, it would be nice to have superior wolf school gear though. On the other hand though, if you think about it, it might actually be high end wolf armor with all the chain mail woven in. All the other schools don't get chain until the final tier but it sucks that you can't really keep using your starting gear forever.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
Speaking of patches:

:frogsiren: "Geralt will no longer interact with candles near chests and other interactive elements." :frogsiren:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
:mmmhmm: Significantly enlarged GUI and HUD elements (including fonts) on consoles :mmmhmm:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I do hope the exp bug fix is in there too.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Finished! I think I got The Best Ending. Geralt tells Emhyr that Ciri is dead and they go off and have witcher adventures together, until Geralt retires in peace with Yen. Nilfgaard loses the war and Emhyr gets assassinated, while Dijkstra rules a united north. Cerys makes Skellige peaceful and prosperous.

Everyone talks like Nilfgaard winning is completely inevitable but it works out fine if you just let Dijkstra kill Roche. I sided against him in Witcher 2 so I didn't really have any attachment there. The funny thing is that I was leaning pro-Nilfgaard the whole game but I accidentally stumbled into the one scenario where they are completely defeated.

The whole epilogue bit where you deliver the sword to Ciri is so sweet :3:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Azazell0 posted:

I want to know something about the quest Phantom of Eldberg. Do we ever get to find out what events lead to the appearance of the Penitent? Or did I miss something? I went the quest a bit rear end backwards, first stumbling across the lighthouse keeper and only later going to collect my reward.

And apparently cashing my reward was just the beginning of a new questline... Jorund, nooooo! Of all the souls I encountered, his was the most... northern.

You can find a letter inside the lighthouse that mentions how the keeper was taking bribes from pirates for letting ships run aground.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

In the quest Tower Full of Mice, on the top floor I checked the item of interest where someone was dragged across the floor. On the map, there is an icon showing me where to go but there is nothing there. Pulling the switch doesn't make a door appear like I saw in a walkthrough video. It seems stuck. Any ideas?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Can you cut your hair? Getting tired of this ned stark look but I want to keep the beard.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Darth Windu posted:

Can you cut your hair? Getting tired of this ned stark look but I want to keep the beard.

Si, go to a barber. There's one or two in Novigrad and one in Oxenfurt. Maybe others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Archimago posted:

Si, go to a barber. There's one or two in Novigrad and one in Oxenfurt. Maybe others?

I noticed a scissor sign in oxenfort but nobody was inside the salon.