Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Tippis posted:

Yeah. Sorry. :eng99:

I don't remember any more, but how much of the UT99 bots was left-over from Unreal, and how much was bespoke for Tournament? I seem to recall that the U1 bots could be pretty nasty too (but the MP itself was… ehm… less convincing), but they weren't quite as goal-oriented as later versions and only understood variations of deathmatch.

It was kind of fun to try to start a co-op game of Unreal and then add bots — lots of enemies died, but moving forward towards the end goal wasn't really their thing…

From what I've experienced of the U1 bots, the UT99 bots have code that makes them goal-oriented, makes them much more willing to look for weapons before attacking you, cuts down on their aimbottiness and adds more fair and even difficulty levels so that the difficulty isn't just Dumbasses, Okish, Aimbots, and Bend Over.

If you want to see how the U1 bots would behave in UT99, boot up the UT99 beta floating around. It's mostly Unreal 1 bots with some basic goal coding so they weren't completely worthless in CTF and DOM at that point, though they still prefer to deathmatch instead of grab the flag. Assault is a bit beyond them at the point the beta was made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I also suppose that co-op is a particularly unfair example since, on top of being an unrecognised game mode, the maps themselves presumably lack the whole “trigger these things in sequence, then go here to ‘win’” coding that even the simplest Assault map requires.

Bread Pudding
Aug 7, 2010
Tried it! Unfortunately, Touhou Doom doesn't seem to have coop spawns, which is a shame. (what am I doing with my life)

My whole experience with bots was Counter Strike back in the day, and those took the same path, used the same weapons and acted the same every single time. It was kind of boring. Hopefully they've advanced since then. Playing offline does mean not having 200+ ping in a match, which would be nice.

EDIT : Not gonna lie, though, I'd love some co-operative bots for Doom because every single server in Zand is 12-in-1/Chillax with your choice of Brutal Doom, Complex Doom or that one expanded version of Samsara with the 50+ classes. I want a little bit of variety sometimes, dammit! :shobon:

Bread Pudding fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 31, 2015

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

Bread Pudding posted:

...that one expanded version of Samsara with the 50+ classes.

Wait, what? Where?? Google isn't turning up anything on Samsara Expanded... Don't want to get my hopes up, I'm sure it's like one of those thrown together MUGEN packages with like 8 versions of Ryu with slightly different sprites or one new move or something.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

That Ignorant Sap posted:

Wait, what? Where?? Google isn't turning up anything on Samsara Expanded... Don't want to get my hopes up, I'm sure it's like one of those thrown together MUGEN packages with like 8 versions of Ryu with slightly different sprites or one new move or something.

it's almost exactly that, but it's not exactly hard to find servers running it on Zandronum.

Bread Pudding
Aug 7, 2010

It literally has two versions of Doomguy with slightly different sprites and one new move recoil on the chaingun for some ungodly reason. Wasn't Doomguy's slot 4 bad enough in Samsara?

It's just a package of all the fanmade Samsara addons. If you wanna check it out, it really is everywhere in Doomseeker, as said above. I can't find a download link for it otherwise, though.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Tippis posted:

I also suppose that co-op is a particularly unfair example since, on top of being an unrecognised game mode, the maps themselves presumably lack the whole “trigger these things in sequence, then go here to ‘win’” coding that even the simplest Assault map requires.

I think the issue is that there isn't specific points for the AI to go to. A human knows that hitting a switch that's next to a door will open up the door, but Loque the bot doesn't without there being specific points to tell him to hit the switch, even if he sees the player do it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bread Pudding posted:

I want a little bit of variety sometimes, dammit! :shobon:

We should play Reelism sometime, if multiplayer works for it.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Tippis posted:

Is Steam available on FreeDOS? After all, that's why it all got started: how it is silly that modern distributions limit themselves (conceivably on some “original platform” logic) when in fact all modern platforms for distribution will require the same set of work-arounds.

I'll take your word for the 32bit windows, though, but having abandoned 32bit OSes a decade ago, I also wouldn't call that modern.
…and as mentioned, that's why you don't use it in modern distribution, but rather (in every case) package the data with a good version with a source port, or just the entire original package with an emulation layer.

Using a source port would either A. require them to develop and test the hell out of one in house or B. get license to an existing one and test the hell out of it anyway. That's expensive.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Bread Pudding posted:

Tried it! Unfortunately, Touhou Doom doesn't seem to have coop spawns, which is a shame. (what am I doing with my life)

My whole experience with bots was Counter Strike back in the day, and those took the same path, used the same weapons and acted the same every single time. It was kind of boring. Hopefully they've advanced since then. Playing offline does mean not having 200+ ping in a match, which would be nice.

EDIT : Not gonna lie, though, I'd love some co-operative bots for Doom because every single server in Zand is 12-in-1/Chillax with your choice of Brutal Doom, Complex Doom or that one expanded version of Samsara with the 50+ classes. I want a little bit of variety sometimes, dammit! :shobon:

That must've been a long-rear end time ago, because even the most basic official CS bots, the ones in Condition Zero, use all of the weapons in the game and alternate routes.

If you want a sample of how more modern bots behave, watch this video of Quake 1's Frogbots playing Clan Arena:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVwbkPdPgPI

They know how to use rocket jumps to their advantage and can do things like take shortcuts to get a freshly-spawned Quad Damage, which are lightyears ahead of the CS bots you played with.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

http://www.best-ever.org/download?file=samsara_extraheroesv1.1ob3z21.pk3

It's really, really bad.

Bread Pudding
Aug 7, 2010

closeted republican posted:

If you want a sample of how more modern bots behave, watch this video of Quake 1's Frogbots playing Clan Arena:
Hot drat. They even fire rockets at entrances you're likely to come from to see if they catch you unaware!

I feel like I'm super far behind in my Early FPS tech. :v:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Huh, there's a (empty) Reelism server up right now! There's apparently a Zandronum version? I thought it was ZDoom only.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

I'll take your word for it; can't get it to run, not enough :effort: to want to see why. Maybe I'll mess with it...someday... Thanks though!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I think the issue is that there isn't specific points for the AI to go to. A human knows that hitting a switch that's next to a door will open up the door, but Loque the bot doesn't without there being specific points to tell him to hit the switch, even if he sees the player do it.

Unreal AI always seemed to understand triggers well enough — including things like using buttons to open doors — so it seems more like they simply have no reason to do so. It can open the door, but why bother? Like you say, it has nowhere it needs to go, so at best it just roams around any paths that have been laid out, and most “progression activity” is purely accidental.

Then again, that might just be the UT99 bots I remember, and they're already more capable.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

I'll take your word for it; can't get it to run, not enough :effort: to want to see why. Maybe I'll mess with it...someday... Thanks though!

You have to load it with normal Samsara, and it might require Zandro 2.0

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Keiya posted:

Using a source port would either A. require them to develop and test the hell out of one in house or B. get license to an existing one and test the hell out of it anyway. That's expensive.

As long as the source is released with it there are no issues using a GPL port. DOSBox is GPL already. It does mean no Steamworks stuff, though.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

Elliotw2 posted:

You have to load it with normal Samsara, and it might require Zandro 2.0

Yup, tried the previous version and the 2.0 update, with and without the original Samsara. Not too worried about it, after trying out each character, cheating to get and test their weapons, I'd probably drop it and go back to Demonsteele, anyway.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Bread Pudding posted:

Huh, there's a (empty) Reelism server up right now! There's apparently a Zandronum version? I thought it was ZDoom only.
Someone made a modified version to get it to at least run under the Zandronum of the time. Some maps were practically unplayable due to network lag, though... A bunch of the optimisations were implemented in the main project, so hopefully Zandro 3.0 can handle it semi-gracefully.

Speaking of Reelism, I finally got off my butt and started working on it again. Here's a couple of the new toys. Not pictured: Proximity Mines, Ice Grenades, Really Buggy TFC Concs.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Is that a curved-barrel rocket launcher shooting curved rounds? I LOVE IT.

(Also Reelism totally needs a set of slots for Chex Quest enemies and weapons)

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Seconding the Chex slots. Though those probably would be a lot of work, someone would need to do zorch animations of every enemy and death animations for the flemoids...

Mushball
May 23, 2012
Are those the shotgun enemies from Outlaws? Please tell me that there are slots for Outlaws weapons or a Marshal Anderson character for Samsara.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I love how the Scourge of Armagon expansion pack for Quake 1 paces it's levels. The first level set is simple, giving you lots of weapons early and tons of weak enemies to mow down. The only serious oppostion you face are the cyborg scorptions.

Then the second level set starts and poo poo hits the fan. Suddenly, the huge rocket and nail surplus you had is gone, and you quckly discover that your only friends are a Super Shotgun, Super Nailgun as a panic weapon, and a Rocket Launcher with 15 or so rockets. Instead of mowing down everything, you're facing three Fiends at once with a Super Shotgun, then take on a Shambler without any cover. Ammo conservation with the Super Shotgun becomes a must because you simply don't have the ammo to carve through everything with the Super Nailgun and the neat Laser Cannon. Rooms are small enough that you actually think about when to use the Rocket Launcher. It's really cool and challenging.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Decided to download Vanguard because it's an earlier WAD from the guy who made Valiant. My loving hands hurt now.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Reelism with Complex Brutal Touhou Samsara.

And Aeons of Death.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

Someone made a modified version to get it to at least run under the Zandronum of the time. Some maps were practically unplayable due to network lag, though... A bunch of the optimisations were implemented in the main project, so hopefully Zandro 3.0 can handle it semi-gracefully.

Speaking of Reelism, I finally got off my butt and started working on it again. Here's a couple of the new toys. Not pictured: Proximity Mines, Ice Grenades, Really Buggy TFC Concs.

:swoon: :allears:

I can't wait. I humbly rerequest anything from Catacomb Abyss and/or Ken's Labyrinth.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Keiya posted:

Seconding the Chex slots. Though those probably would be a lot of work, someone would need to do zorch animations of every enemy and death animations for the flemoids...

You could probably get away with overlaying a red teleportation flash and disappearing them

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
TerminusEst13... why do i keep running into body pillows in hell? :raise: (Scythe2)

I mean, it seems entirely fitting! :haw: But i assume Scythe2's replaced Keen with something else and Demonsteele replaces that with anime body pillows to punch?

As a request, please make it so if you strike it with the power armour fist it rockets off into the sky like team rocket's exits please :swoon:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm playing through Scythe 2 with Demonsteele, and I came across that crazy boss-ish enemy which is like a skull mixed with a tank... what original Doom enemy was this thing?

Also, I just happened to hit 'enter' last night, and found out about the super melee mode (or whatever it's called... sorry, I'm bad at reading instructions sometimes, and didn't even know this was a thing!). Oh my god, the violence.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Its the cyberdemon replacement! :haw:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Thyrork posted:

Its the cyberdemon replacement! :haw:

That would explain why my shotgun wasn't doing the job, and I had to (accidentally) breakout my super fists!! :black101:

Goddamn, I love this Scythe 2 / Demonsteele mix. I need more. Much more.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Also, I just happened to hit 'enter' last night, and found out about the super melee mode (or whatever it's called... sorry, I'm bad at reading instructions sometimes, and didn't even know this was a thing!). Oh my god, the violence.

You transform into the Iron Maiden. You get that from picking up the Iron Savior armor (replaces BFG).

I still really want someone to animate a Sailor Moon-esque sequence where Hae-Lin transforms into the Iron Maiden.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

RyokoTK posted:

Goddamn that's just Quake 3 with different models, what the heck.

It seems to me the point of Reflex is a re-branding of Quake-style arena FPS. Which is what the genre needs now with the explosion of streaming esports. Quake had its esports hey-day a decade and some change ago, while Twitch got huge a handful of years ago. The highest viewer count of an arena FPS I've ever seen on Twitch was a Shootmania one of ~15,000. Quake was never higher than that barring the QuakeCon stream a few years ago. It never really got on the bandwagon for online viewership that it rightfully deserves—duels are exciting to watch. The game just needs better spectator support. Reflex looks to be built with esports potential in mind and wishes to dethrone Quake as the go-to arena FPS. Gonna :can: and say Quake's community is toxic af and needs to grow up.

http://www.fpspulse.com/articles/what-quake-could-stand-to-learn-from-smash-bros-part-one-the-why/
http://www.fpspulse.com/articles/what-quake-can-learn-from-smash-part-two-the-how-feat-zero-nintendude-and-tafokints/

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Segmentation Fault posted:

I still really want someone to animate a Sailor Moon-esque sequence where Hae-Lin transforms into the Iron Maiden.

Its all happy and upbeat, true to the style of Sailor Moon, with the demons looking on in awe and fear. It ends with a bloodbath as she obliterates an imp, shedding gore everywhere.

Tagline: DOOMIER THEN BRUTAL DOOM. Que enraged fanbases. :allears:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I love how the Scourge of Armagon expansion pack for Quake 1 paces it's levels.

I remember loving one of the expansions and hating the other. I can't remember which was which...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

I remember loving one of the expansions and hating the other. I can't remember which was which...
Scourge of Armagon was the first one. Dissolution of Eternity was the bad one.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

The Kins posted:

Scourge of Armagon was the first one. Dissolution of Eternity was the bad one.

Yeah that's accurate enough. :-)

I had a very particular kind of fun revisiting MP2 but not in a way that says much about its quality by today's standards.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The Kins posted:

Getting serious RotT vibes from that curved missile. (Can't be any more difficult to use than that rocket launcher that shoots the piercing rockets, anyway.)

My only current request for Reelism is that Abridged should be using MK3's "The Bridge" at some point.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Shadow Hog posted:

Getting serious RotT vibes from that curved missile. (Can't be any more difficult to use than that rocket launcher that shoots the piercing rockets, anyway.)

My only current request for Reelism is that Abridged should be using MK3's "The Bridge" at some point.

I clicked on that and was disappointed when I realized it was something from MK3 and not MST3K. :(

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Johnny Law posted:

Yeah that's accurate enough. :-)

I had a very particular kind of fun revisiting MP2 but not in a way that says much about its quality by today's standards.

MP2's maps are weird because they actually feel like a step back from Quake instead of advancing it, like MP1 does. While MP1 has a lot of chances to mess with the Z-axis, most of MP2's maps feel like they should be in Doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Hae-Lin and Shihong eating doritos? Why not!

Why is this not getting more love. Why.

Am I the only one that finds it odd how tall Shihong is compared to Hae-lin? Is she supposed to be some kind of Mjolnir MKIV type cyborg?

SilentW fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 1, 2015