Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

lol if your horse only has one head

GOTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011

Begemot posted:

Finished! I think I got The Best Ending. Geralt tells Emhyr that Ciri is dead and they go off and have witcher adventures together, until Geralt retires in peace with Yen. Nilfgaard loses the war and Emhyr gets assassinated, while Dijkstra rules a united north. Cerys makes Skellige peaceful and prosperous.

Everyone talks like Nilfgaard winning is completely inevitable but it works out fine if you just let Dijkstra kill Roche. I sided against him in Witcher 2 so I didn't really have any attachment there. The funny thing is that I was leaning pro-Nilfgaard the whole game but I accidentally stumbled into the one scenario where they are completely defeated.

The whole epilogue bit where you deliver the sword to Ciri is so sweet :3:

On the other hand the teary farewell while Ciri gives Geralt her sword before leaving to be empress was pretty heart wrenching in a good way.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Darth Windu posted:

I noticed a scissor sign in oxenfort but nobody was inside the salon.

Wait until noon or something, barbers have lives outside of geralt.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Arrgytehpirate posted:

So uh, where the hell is a guy to make me some swords? Just ran around getting all my Feline armor and while there is the dude in the square for the armor I can't find a swordsmith in Novigrad to save my life.

The fish market one block away from Hirarch square has a blacksmith during the day.

Here's a good map website.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man Geralt you just professed your love to Triss. Stop acting like such a lovesick goon around Yen already

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Ra-amun posted:

On the other hand the teary farewell while Ciri gives Geralt her sword before leaving to be empress was pretty heart wrenching in a good way.

I kinda still like the ciri as a witcher ending more. She's this incredibly powerful person who can walk on countless different worlds as she pleases, having her tied down in a (relatively) small kingdom on one world seems almost wasteful, comparatively.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

Because it's a game almost entirely based on how many healers and spies you have in your deck, that has ill defined rules for what you're actually allowed to put in your deck.

Theoretically the only thing stopping Geralt from having a deck of 50 avellach cards is because he doesn't happen to have that many of those cards.

RE: Gwent

Spies, Decoys, and Medics are all really good. Tight bonds on Northern Realms is pretty solid if you have a filled-out deck (two catapults can go toe-to-toe with a full Monsters muster flood), but the most overpowered thing in the game is the Nilfgaard leader that lets you put a card in your hand from the enemy graveyard. By itself it's +2 turns because you get to spend a turn playing the card in addition to the turn you spent using the ability, but it also lets you play a spy from the enemy graveyard. In addition to being bullshit-tier in its own right, this is an ability that can't be replicated through any other means and is given to the faction that already has the best tempo control with a full roster of spies and four faction medics.

Muster is actually not a great ability. It can be powerful in the right circumstances, but it's very committal since you can only drop each bomb once, and if you have duplicate muster cards in your hand (pretty much impossible for Monsters to avoid) then muster automatically plays them in the same action and they're effectively negative tempo. Good luck trying to win against Nilfgaard when the have twice as many cards as you by the second round.

For deck construction rules I would imagine that you would just go by the limits of what exists in the game, though this basically still leaves you with Niflgaard > Northern Realms >>>>> Dumb Guys With No Spies

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 31, 2015

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

You can find a letter inside the lighthouse that mentions how the keeper was taking bribes from pirates for letting ships run aground.

Oh man, and I can't go back anymore. I don't know why I didn't even go inside. I just left the moment the game told me to go back and talk to the guy..

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

UGGGGGH!

Triss chat

The only way to get her to stay was to tell her I love her or tell her that I want to try again. Both of which I reckon would have ruined getting with Yen. So off she went!. I really wanted to get all of the dudes to my little fort and have the ultimate collection of badasses. Oh well. On another note. Diji just asked me to murder Radovid so pretty psyched about that.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...
-- I told Triss I wanted to try again, and she left anyway. No effect on Yen. Whatever you say to her, I think Triss comes back in the final act anyway, and you have a chance to de-compress statues and whatnot then, too.

I finished up today and still feel too emotionally invested in my choices to imagine changing them in future playthroughs, it's going to be hard. I need some time. :(

Ciri-witcher might not be living up to her potential, but on the other hand, she's basically immortal and has earned herself a vacation to go play with monsters in the woods for a while. She has all the time in the world to change her mind and get involved with more Great Things later. Temeria as a vassal state is not ideal, but puts it in a good position to foment a less violent revolution a generation or three down the road. Honestly it seems like the only difference in day to day life is hanging up a few banners in exchange for an end to the war, and if Roche is okay with that, so am I.

The only choice I really don't feel invested in is Triss vs. Yen. After the Djinn sidequest I could easily see it going either way, and the main thing from the end is whether Geralt retires or not, doesn't matter so much with which woman.

DLC speculation: There HAS to be something left to do about the surviving crone who stole Vesemir's medallion.

Psiharis fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 31, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Psiharis posted:

DLC speculation: There HAS to be something left to do about the surviving crone who stole Vesemir's medallion.

Look up the bad ending on youtube.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Look up the bad ending on youtube.

Aw, drat. I don't want to but I don't think I'll ever be able to bring myself to skip trashing Avellac'h's lab, at least. That scene gave me all the feels. Do we need another page talking about the really powerful facial expressions? Because that reminded me so much of my own dad, it really made me miss him in a bittersweet way that I'd never expect a video game to deliver.

Even before the Act 3 skellige parenting choice, where elf-bitch is talking trash and Geralt catches Ciri's eye and tried to cheer her up with this stupid 'blah blah' face, mocking the elf behind her back was such a sweet dumb dad thing to do. Especially the part where it didn't actually help one bit.

Psiharis fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 31, 2015

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Voyager I posted:

Muster is actually not a great ability. It can be powerful in the right circumstances, but it's very committal since you can only drop each bomb once, and if you have duplicate muster cards in your hand (pretty much impossible for Monsters to avoid) then muster automatically plays them in the same action and they're effectively negative tempo. Good luck trying to win against Nilfgaard when the have twice as many cards as you by the second round.

Muster is kind of sucky... but I notice the higher level AI players that use it usually have what seems like 3 Scorch cards. That's perfect for them to blow up high point combos of other decks and screw you. Got to try that someday when I have the cards but with only one Scorch I'm not there yet.

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011

Son of Rodney posted:

I kinda still like the ciri as a witcher ending more. She's this incredibly powerful person who can walk on countless different worlds as she pleases, having her tied down in a (relatively) small kingdom on one world seems almost wasteful, comparatively.

Yeah it's up to preference which ending you like better. Like while Ciri does have the power to go anywhere, in the empress ending, she makes the case that taking Emhyr's offer will give her to best opportunity to change things for the better. She wouldn't be able to do that while hopping place to place even with all the power she has. Each ending has her make up her mind in different ways so really either works. She's perfectly happy being a witcher in one, while in the other she gets the chance to change the lives of millions of people for the better.

Psiharis posted:

Aw, drat. I don't want to but I don't think I'll ever be able to bring myself to skip trashing Avellac'h's lab, at least. That scene gave me all the feels. Do we need another page talking about the really powerful facial expressions? Because that reminded me so much of my own dad, it really made me miss him in a bittersweet way that I'd never expect a video game to deliver.

Are there any other games that have been this good with expressions? I'm gonna be real disappointed with future games if they go back to dead eyed plastic faces for their story driven games.

Ra-amun fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 31, 2015

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I have a Witcher 2 question but the thread is closed, so I suppose I should ask it here:

The skill tree looks full of fun stuff, but apparently the level cap only lets you unlock ~1/3rd of it; even with two playthroughs (Roche / Iorveth) I'd still miss a good deal of it. That bothers me a little; I liked how in the first game you could unlock a comfortable majority of the talents by the end of the game.

Would it be a terrible idea to grab a mod that gives you two talent points per level (there isn't a level cap mod, sadly), and then play in a higher difficulty (Hard or Dark mode without Dark items) to compensate?

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

NihilCredo posted:

I have a Witcher 2 question but the thread is closed, so I suppose I should ask it here:

The skill tree looks full of fun stuff, but apparently the level cap only lets you unlock ~1/3rd of it; even with two playthroughs (Roche / Iorveth) I'd still miss a good deal of it. That bothers me a little; I liked how in the first game you could unlock a comfortable majority of the talents by the end of the game.

Would it be a terrible idea to grab a mod that gives you two talent points per level (there isn't a level cap mod, sadly), and then play in a higher difficulty (Hard or Dark mode without Dark items) to compensate?

You will be hilariously overpowered halfway through the game if you do 2 points per level.

A somewhat more balanced option would be to get the mod that gives you all of the basic skills so you don't have to put any points in the training tree. Click Here for Said Mod.

IIRC, you have to start a new game for it to work.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Ra-amun posted:

Are there any other games that have been this good with expressions? I'm gonna be real disappointed with future games if they go back to dead eyed plastic faces for their story driven games.

Before Witcher III, I thought Inquisition had among the best I've seen. Some expressions they absolutely nail, but they're the more open and direct kind.

After this I'm looking forward to Uncharted 4, since Naughty Dog seems to push tech pretty hard.

OatBoy
Nov 18, 2004

What can I say, it's my nature
You'll just end up being too powerful by the second act. Even on dark without dark items a well executed alchemy/mutagen build lets you kill most enemies and even bosses in a few hits.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

Ra-amun posted:

No. Not even in cutscenes. Never. LA Noire got so much hype but so many of those expressions ended up looking canned and unrealistic, like I'd recognize on an abstract level that the game was throwing me the animation for 'shifty eyes' but I didn't buy it on an emotional level like in TW3. I hope this is the start of a spectacular trend and not a miraculous one-off.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Oh man, I'm on my second playthrough and it's just amazing how many little details there are for such a huge game. Some stuff I noticed in White Orchard:

• Tracking down the arsonist, Geralt decides he must have been attacked by drowners in the river. If you do the quest at night they'll show up!
  • The guys who pick a fight with you outside the Inn are leering at you during the conversation with the barkeep.
  • Florian is the wraith guarding the tomb where the Viper School witcher died.
  • All the places of power have attracted monsters, except for one--nearby the nest of the dead griffin.

There are just a thousand little micro-stories told all over the map. This is a game that was absolutely adored on by its developers.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Psiharis posted:

No. Not even in cutscenes. Never. LA Noire got so much hype but so many of those expressions ended up looking canned and unrealistic, like I'd recognize on an abstract level that the game was throwing me the animation for 'shifty eyes' but I didn't buy it on an emotional level like in TW3. I hope this is the start of a spectacular trend and not a miraculous one-off.

You've nailed it--that's a great way of putting it. Previous games have done well enough that you get the idea of "oh he's being sarcastic" or "oh he's being coy" or whatever, but you don't buy into it on an emotional level. Witcher 3 just loving nails it and makes your brain pretty much think you're watching real people interact.

Real people made of polygons.

In a screen.

But still.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
dont know if excessive use of spoiler tags but whatevs

i feel like i made som bad choices in the crones of crookback bog questy. i stabbed a tree's heart to death cause it sounded creepy, and when confronted by the crones afterwards, i told them ciri and i would be back for them :P Now it seems the orphans are food, and the crones live. could i have fought and killed them there?

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
this game seems to be well made and I kind of want to play it but its just loving embarrassing. like all the people who grew up playing with toys just never stopped doing that and theyre all manchildren now so the new toys that come out need gritty lone wolf protagonists you can live vicariously through and awkward sex scenes that are barely a step above mashing two dolls together and saying NOW KISS!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

my new dog posted:

dont know if excessive use of spoiler tags but whatevs

i feel like i made som bad choices in the crones of crookback bog questy. i stabbed a tree's heart to death cause it sounded creepy, and when confronted by the crones afterwards, i told them ciri and i would be back for them :P Now it seems the orphans are food, and the crones live. could i have fought and killed them there?

The other option is to free the spirit, which saves the children but the spirit will destroy the nearby village of Downwarren. It's also pretty clear the spirit is evil and probably going to do other bad poo poo on its own. The decision to free/kill the spirit also partly determines the outcome of the Bloody Baron quest if you haven't finished that yet.

Edit to answer directly, no, you could not have killed the crones there. Both options have bad poo poo happen.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 31, 2015

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Unlucky posted:

this game seems to be well made and I kind of want to play it but its just loving embarrassing. like all the people who grew up playing with toys just never stopped doing that and theyre all manchildren now so the new toys that come out need gritty lone wolf protagonists you can live vicariously through and awkward sex scenes that are barely a step above mashing two dolls together and saying NOW KISS!

Infamous 3 was the first time I'd seen WrinkleTech and it was alright in that, too bad the story was real lame

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Pellisworth posted:

The other option is to free the spirit, which saves the children but the spirit will destroy the nearby village of Downwarren. It's also pretty clear the spirit is evil and probably going to do other bad poo poo on its own. The decision to free/kill the spirit also partly determines the outcome of the Bloody Baron quest if you haven't finished that yet.

How do you figure the spirit is evil? I've been trying to find out more info on it, but other than the "She who knows" book, there isn't a whole lot. The reason it attacked the town is most likely because they serve the Crones, and had been trying to get rid of it for a while.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Mr. Unlucky posted:

I don't even understand what you're complaining about. If you're talking about the sex scenes they take up about 60 combined seconds of an 80 hour game.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Psiharis posted:

When you see how the face capture worked in LA Noire, it's not too surprising that the acting sometimes seemed artificial. They could barely move their heads when doing the face animations.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pellisworth posted:

Edit to answer directly, no, you could not have killed the crones there. Both options have bad poo poo happen.

havent finished it yet. i just want everyone to be happy and alive

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

Regarding the Crones choice: there is a book you can pick up near the end of the game (Bald Mountain) that explains the situation with the tree spirit. I've only ever killed the spirit, siding with crones so I don't know if it's explained in the alternate path as well. Also I am going blind from tiny console text. But basically the tree spirit is the 'mother' of the crones, created them out of clay. The spirit started to go mad and murder and destroy so much that the crones trapped their mother in the tree to stop her from destroying the whole land. It's probably the most classical Witcher choice of the game, where you have a bad option and a worse option, and no way of knowing which is which until it's far too late.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Psiharis posted:

Regarding the Crones choice: there is a book you can pick up near the end of the game (Bald Mountain) that explains the situation with the tree spirit. I've only ever killed the spirit, siding with crones so I don't know if it's explained in the alternate path as well. Also I am going blind from tiny console text. But basically the tree spirit is the 'mother' of the crones, created them out of clay. The spirit started to go mad and murder and destroy so much that the crones trapped their mother in the tree to stop her from destroying the whole land. It's probably the most classical Witcher choice of the game, where you have a bad option and a worse option, and no way of knowing which is which until it's far too late.

That's the book I was talking about. It reads like a classic folk tale, but casts the Crones as heroines entrapping the "Mother" because they care about the people of Velen. Considering a lot of the peasants in Velen has apparently been serving the Crones for a long time (even having folk traditions and stuff like that), I don't entirely trust it. Even books can lie.

Edit: They eat kids ffs.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

That's the book I was talking about. It reads like a classic folk tale, but casts the Crones as heroines entrapping the "Mother" because they care about the people of Velen. Considering a lot of the peasants in Velen has apparently been serving the Crones for a long time (even having folk traditions and stuff like that), I don't entirely trust it. Even books can lie.

Edit: They eat kids ffs.

Other than the book, the whole quest sequence and interaction with the spirit is creepy and malevolent as gently caress. Also when I did the quest to get the materials to release the spirit, Geralt digs up the bones and remarks "definitely not human" which for me was the point where I decided nope, not gonna free this thing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Never gonna feel bad about siding against child eaters and their peasant worshippers.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

That's the book I was talking about.

Sorry, didn't see your reply! Yeah, it's very plausible that the book is a one-sided version of the story. For me it rings more true than not but that might be because of the path I took. It's not like I'm best buds with the crones, I figured they were eating kids when I made my choice, but the spirit was SO obviously lying that I didn't want to take a chance. And in a sick way, the townspeople seemed to feel the crones were performing a kindness by taking orphans away in a situation where families were already starving to death.

hosed up things happen in a famine, I'm not saying the crones aren't monsters, but I can see how hapless peasants would just be relieved that the kids they couldn't save were taken off somewhere out of sight instead of being forced to watch them slowly waste away, often while their own children were doing the same at an only slightly slower rate. Since it would be monstrous to choose who lived and who died, they turned to monsters to do the choosing.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah it's not like there are really options to side WITH the crones, the spirit offers to free the children in exchange for its freedom. The whole thing didn't seem right to me so I just killed it, gently caress the crones either way but I'm not gonna let that thing loose.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

OatBoy posted:

You'll just end up being too powerful by the second act. Even on dark without dark items a well executed alchemy/mutagen build lets you kill most enemies and even bosses in a few hits.

Archimago posted:

You will be hilariously overpowered halfway through the game if you do 2 points per level.

A somewhat more balanced option would be to get the mod that gives you all of the basic skills so you don't have to put any points in the training tree. Click Here for Said Mod.

IIRC, you have to start a new game for it to work.

Thanks for the tips.

After actually downloading that mod you mentioned and looking at the source, I discovered that the moddable Witcher script files are surprisingly straightforward, so I should be able to just add a line like this:

code:
if (level < 35)
		{
			level = level + 1;

talents = GetTalentPoints();
			SetTalentPoints( talents + 1 );
			if (level % 3 == 0) {SetTalentPoints( talents + 1 );} // modded line

levelname = StringToName("Level" + level);
			GetCharacterStats().AddAbility( levelname );
			theSound.PlaySound("gui/other/levelup");
			theHud.m_hud.NotifyLevelUp( level );
			thePlayer.SendStatsToGui();

}
and get +1 talent every three levels, which would let me cover almost all the skill tree over two playthroughs, and shouldn't be too broken. Maybe add a couple more in the early levels and remove a few in the late ones, to better balance the difficulty curve. We'll see.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Pellisworth posted:

Other than the book, the whole quest sequence and interaction with the spirit is creepy and malevolent as gently caress. Also when I did the quest to get the materials to release the spirit, Geralt digs up the bones and remarks "definitely not human" which for me was the point where I decided nope, not gonna free this thing.
That's why I wish there was something more to it. All I know is that the children it says it's going to save ends up at the school in Novigrad, with a letter explaining that they "Just showed up there out of nowhere one day." The fact that it kept it's word makes me think it might not be entirely malevolent.

Psiharis posted:

Sorry, didn't see your reply! Yeah, it's very plausible that the book is a one-sided version of the story. For me it rings more true than not but that might be because of the path I took. It's not like I'm best buds with the crones, I figured they were eating kids when I made my choice, but the spirit was SO obviously lying that I didn't want to take a chance. And in a sick way, the townspeople seemed to feel the crones were performing a kindness by taking orphans away in a situation where families were already starving to death.

hosed up things happen in a famine, I'm not saying the crones aren't monsters, but I can see how hapless peasants would just be relieved that the kids they couldn't save were taken off somewhere out of sight instead of being forced to watch them slowly waste away, often while their own children were doing the same at an only slightly slower rate. Since it would be monstrous to choose who lived and who died, they turned to monsters to do the choosing.

The peasants definitely know, or at least suspect, what happens to the kids they send off, which is why they are so defensive about it if you confront them about it. Also, the spirit isn't actually lying about saving the children, so I'm not so sure, but it's not something you'll learn unless you look around a bit.

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Never gonna feel bad about siding against child eaters and their peasant worshippers.

Yeah, their whole sabbath celebration really made me regret not letting the spirit destroy Downwarren.

Psiharis posted:

The crones have been in the area for generations though, I don't think they went without flesh before the relatively recent war started. They make human sacrifices in return for the magic acorns.

Ra-amun fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 1, 2015

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

That's why I wish there was something more to it. All I know is that the children it says it's going to save ends up at the school in Novigrad, with a letter explaining that they "Just showed up there out of nowhere one day." The fact that it kept it's word makes me think it might not be entirely malignant.

The peasants definitely know, or at least suspect, what happens to the kids they send off, which is why they are so defensive about it if you confront them about it. Also, the spirit isn't actually lying about saving the children, so I'm not so sure, but it's not something you'll learn unless you look around a bit.

They get teleported to a school in Novigrad. Also lol at the goons having sympathy for cultist peasants worshiping borderline demonic entities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

You can do a pretty effective 2-tree hybrid in TW2. I usually go mainly swords with some signs, or vice versa, maybe a couple fun talents in alch along the way, and never have trouble filling out the important parts of my main tree.

For higher difficulties, just be warned that there are a couple of really infuriating scenes where anything except a swords build leaves you at a huge disadvantage. As long as you don't mind tweaking the difficulty for individual fights, though, it's not that big a deal.