Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Root Bear posted:

I've been looking into a new soldering station and the Kendal 853D is by far one of the best ones I've come across for the money, if you're looking to go all out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kio5louvt2s

Sorry to say, but that's a piece of garbage. You can pick up the exact same thing under about 6 other names on eBay for the same price and they're all bad.

It's essentially a Harbor Freight quality station. How else do you think you can buy the features of a $500+ station for $140?

Do some research before buying this thing. I have a friend who bought one and had ti last about a month before the thing wouldn't work anymore (like logic board failure....powered up, functions didn't work/unexpected results from dials and buttons) and I believe Viggen had one that lasted about a few hours before something went wrong with it and it was returned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

sharkytm posted:

I'm partial to the Hakko FX888D. $99, and it's a great iron

Every now and then Frys will put the FX888D on sale for $69. It's an insane deal and worth every penny. They just had it on sale last week actually, so it will probably be a few more months before it's on sale again.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

mod sassinator posted:

Every now and then Frys will put the FX888D on sale for $69. It's an insane deal and worth every penny. They just had it on sale last week actually, so it will probably be a few more months before it's on sale again.

Quoting for awesomeness. I bought mine for $49.99 this christmas. Great iron. Now I just need to order a second.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
So my aluminum harbor freight jack blew a seal and leaked its oil all over my garage. I've been thinking about one of their steel low profile ones. Any other jacks I should look at? Low profile is really important, the old jack was a little too tall and I had to drive my m3 on 2x4s to jack its front.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Sadi posted:

So my aluminum harbor freight jack blew a seal and leaked its oil all over my garage. I've been thinking about one of their steel low profile ones. Any other jacks I should look at? Low profile is really important, the old jack was a little too tall and I had to drive my m3 on 2x4s to jack its front.

If that happened to me I'd be shopping for a jack somewhere else.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Sadi posted:

Arcan from Northern Tool or Costco. I think they make both steel and ally versions, low entry (80mm) and great reliable jacks for a low price. And friend and i both have them, in daily use in workshops for years without a single issue.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Sadi posted:

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/floor-jacks/25-ton-low-profile-steel-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-68049.html

I've got this one, works great for lowered cars in my experience. I use it a ton as a shadetree mechanic, and it hasn't given me any problems in the last 3-4 years. They have a longer reach one as well if you've got to get way under a car to get a jack point. I feel like the aluminum jacks seem to have a higher failure rate than the steel ones, for whatever reason.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

PitViper posted:

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/floor-jacks/25-ton-low-profile-steel-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-68049.html

I've got this one, works great for lowered cars in my experience. I use it a ton as a shadetree mechanic, and it hasn't given me any problems in the last 3-4 years. They have a longer reach one as well if you've got to get way under a car to get a jack point. I feel like the aluminum jacks seem to have a higher failure rate than the steel ones, for whatever reason.

I have this one too. Be aware that it weighs about as much as it can lift and needs a clear path to roll to where it will be used. Also does not fit under a miata front end w/o 2x4s under the front tires.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I have that jack too, works really well for me and even fits under my e30 318iS horrible, low hanging oil pan.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
So I have been looking for long shank torx sockets. Specifically the t60. These are the least TEXAS$ set. I need the long ones to make a 3 hour bearing job into an hour removed and installed. Does anyone have experience with this manufacturer of tools? Or does anyone know of a similar set that they use and would recommend.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

SouthsideSaint posted:

So I have been looking for long shank torx sockets. Specifically the t60. These are the least TEXAS$ set. I need the long ones to make a 3 hour bearing job into an hour removed and installed. Does anyone have experience with this manufacturer of tools? Or does anyone know of a similar set that they use and would recommend.

$35 shipping? Yikes.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

SouthsideSaint posted:

Bergen?

Cheap nasty brittle poo poo.

If you need a T60 get this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stahlwille-Torx-Bit-Socket-1-2in-Dr-Xtra-Long-T60-/290764745346?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43b2edea82

Stahlwille are top quality functional German tools. Strong as gently caress.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
^ thanks that's way cheaper then Strap-on or Crapco. I will defenitley be buying that . Because gently caress having to take apart a whole rear suspension for a wheel bearing.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
How skinny and how long do they need to be? 10mm hexagonal long and short torx bits aren't all that uncommon, maybe pair that up with some 3/8" stuff?

Fake edit: hmm, maybe they are in the US?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
They're available, but T60 would be pretty huge for even a fat hex bit. That's like seatbelt size.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Jack chat, amazon has prime shipping for one arcan brand jack, so if you have a free month or a subscription that means free shipping.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Cleaned the garage today.

Got a drill press from an auction for $75

Got a new digital torque wrench, which I am really digging so far.

And organized my sockets. The worst thing about these drat trays is I realize how many sockets I "need".

EDIT: Oh and this little guy followed me home. He hasnt been very helpful around the garage though.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 30, 2015

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Sadi posted:

And organized my sockets. The worst thing about these drat trays is I realize how many sockets I "need".

You should up your swivel game too!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

e: Moved to more appropriate thread

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 1, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

slidebite posted:

Not really sure where to put this question, but I would really like a second opinion and thought I'd do it here since it sort of tool related (yeah, sorta).

I pulled a 3" wood screw out of my tire today. Being Sunday no real tire shops were open so I did a quick repair at home with a plug kit. It was right on the radius of the tread/sidewall. I know sidewall repairs are verboten, but I thought I would give it a try. I plugged it and drove the car pretty hard for about an hour, but I'm second guessing myself and wondering if I should just replace the tire(s).

The biggest issue I have is I am driving through Reno/Desert next week and while I of course have a spare I'd rather not have a questionable tire on the trip.

Further compounding it is that it's a Subaru so if I replace it, I'm probably replacing 4.. which really sucks as they are probably 80%+.

Thoughts? I'm leaning towards biting the bullet and just replacing them but drat that hurts.

e: If there is a better thread for poo poo like this please let me know. :)

The pics make the sidewall look slightly bulged, is it?

You'd need the tire to be removed and inspected, as that's right on the gray area. When i was a tyre fitter we'd generally advise against repairing that if the hole on the inside was too bad, however it looks angled. You may be able to have it fixed with either a mushroom plug or a flat patch. The issue we used to encounter with punctures like that was that the plugs didn't want to adhere properly to the curve on the inside of the shoulder, especially with low-profile tyres.

Best to take it to a good trusted tyre shop and have them remove it and inspect. It should be repairable with a mushroom plug, which i always found to be the best puncture repair.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Some tire shops, and tirerack.com offer shaving services. For a fee they will take a new tire and grind off tread until it matches your current tires. You're paying full price for less mileage out of a single tire, but it's cheaper than 4 new tires.

Also, the reason sidewall plugs are a nono is 50/50 liability/science. If you pay me to patch that tire, and you get a blowout, do a rollover, and manage to take out a kindergarten class on the way, I'm responsible.

I've seen quite a few idiots running around with DIY patches in their sidewalls, and they and their shitmobiles managed to luck out until they scraped up enough to buy new treads.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Posting in the stupid question thread

Thanks Mooseykinds

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

MRC48B posted:

Some tire shops, and tirerack.com offer shaving services. For a fee they will take a new tire and grind off tread until it matches your current tires. You're paying full price for less mileage out of a single tire, but it's cheaper than 4 new tires.

Also, the reason sidewall plugs are a nono is 50/50 liability/science. If you pay me to patch that tire, and you get a blowout, do a rollover, and manage to take out a kindergarten class on the way, I'm responsible.

I've seen quite a few idiots running around with DIY patches in their sidewalls, and they and their shitmobiles managed to luck out until they scraped up enough to buy new treads.

Also, sidewall ply damage poses a much greater risk of blowout, as they're much thinner, and one damaged thread can compromise the structure's integrity. One damaged thread there, and under load the gap can increase and split more threads either side. Not always the case, but a risk, and as you said, the person who did the repair is held liable.

The only time i've repaired a sidewall was on a colleage's brand new tyre, that another colleague decided to stab with a pick. It was a very small hole, on a tyre that'd done about 50 miles, and was repaired with a flat patch so it would hold air.

A couple weeks later he ran a red light and was t-boned by a drunk Polski in a Passat and the car was totally demolished.

slidebite posted:

Thanks Mooseykinds

No worries. :)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The only problem is that pretty much every single place that fixes flats considers the entire outer tread block as part of the sidewall and won't fix anything in that region. Naturally this is where all my punctures are.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Sadi posted:

EDIT: Oh and this little guy followed me home. He hasnt been very helpful around the garage though.

I think your catte is defective. Even looks weird.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
I only ever buy cheap tires from Canadian Tire so I don't know if anywhere else does this, but when I got them for my Subaru they came with a warranty where they'll fix any punctures for free, for like 7 years (or some amount of km that I don't remember offhand), and if it's sidewall damage then they'd replace the tire and I would pay an amount prorated based on the % of tread left. I don't normally buy extended warranties but what sold it was the fact that since it's AWD and requires all tires be the same diameter (and therefore a single new tire doesn't do me any good), then in the event they were unable to repair one tire, they would replace all four under warranty, again with me paying only the difference in tread life.

If you do wind up having to buy all new tires, maybe shop around for a place that offers that kind of warranty. It was only like $20 to add it, too.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Splizwarf posted:

They're available, but T60 would be pretty huge for even a fat hex bit. That's like seatbelt size.

They seem to be the biggest size in most of the kits available here, but still fits a 10mm hex long/short bit.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Dumb or ingenius way to clean injectors?

https://youtu.be/rUUgR94drxg

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Went ahead and bought this pressure washer from Costco. It was only $150 and it has the Costco warranty, so when it breaks I'll take it back.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

His little straw adapter is a bit janky, but I like it!

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I did something similar with a 9v battery/junkyard pigtail/kitchen syringe/bit of plastic tubing. I was cleaning/refurbing a set of junkyard injectors and it worked great.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

fknlo posted:

Went ahead and bought this pressure washer from Costco. It was only $150 and it has the Costco warranty, so when it breaks I'll take it back.

Is there such thing as a hot-water home use pressure washer? Or would it need such a big heat source it can't be done?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

slidebite posted:

Is there such thing as a hot-water home use pressure washer? Or would it need such a big heat source it can't be done?

Hook up your hose to a tankless water heater.

Unless you mean "just under boiling" hot water pressure washer.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

slidebite posted:

They're not common, but sometimes there are cheapish Hotsy knockoffs at HD or TSC, etc. They're everywhere in the professional world though. Usually electric pumps and kerosene for the burners until you get into the big stationary units or the bigass portables. They're the tits.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Geoj posted:

Hook up your hose to a tankless water heater.

Unless you mean "just under boiling" hot water pressure washer.

Or the drain on a regular water heater. Just make sure you flush any sediment out first. Also, make sure both hoses are rated for hot water. Even then the seals in the pump may not like the temperature.

You might want to try this with someone else's pressure washer first.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

or just strap an oxy-acetylene torch to the end of the wash gun and heat the water as it leaves the gun.

Then when you're not washing stuff you can hook it up to a jerry can and flammenwerfer some nazis

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I did something similar with a 9v battery/junkyard pigtail/kitchen syringe/bit of plastic tubing. I was cleaning/refurbing a set of junkyard injectors and it worked great.

The only thing that I think would with better is an ultrasonic bath with solvent in it, but I happen to have one anyway for gun stuff.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Got myself a new toolbox at work. Before this I was working out of a Mac Tech1000 that I bought on craigslist for $1500.

Went from this

To this

Mac guy sold me this for $5000 and gave me $2500 for my Tech1000 and $100 tool credit. So in the end I paid $3900 for this huge box with hutch which retails for close to $13k because it was 4 months old with a few scratches on it.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Brain Issues posted:

To this

Mac guy sold me this for $5000 and gave me $2500 for my Tech1000 and $100 tool credit. So in the end I paid $3900 for this huge box with hutch which retails for close to $13k because it was 4 months old with a few scratches on it.
The highlight of that toolbox is definitely the chrome rimzzz. Congrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

PBCrunch posted:

The highlight of that toolbox is definitely the chrome rimzzz. Congrats.

I think it's "Macsimizer".