Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

vonnegutt posted:

What's something cool that really likes wet feet?

We've acquired a rain barrel that fits a planter into the lid. It's got a wick to the main barrel, so it acts as an overflow of sorts. It's also open on top so it will be collecting rain that way as well.

We're thinking mint since it's five feet off the ground: does it like to be soggy?

Look into bog plants. Maybe a canna?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

kedo posted:

I think I have a problem.

Hi, welcome to the thread!

But in all honesty, the size of that plant collection is pretty impressive. The purple flowers are really nice too!

vonnegutt posted:

What's something cool that really likes wet feet?

Yeah, I was going to recommend canna as well. Maybe a basil plant too? Mine never seemed to have enough water when I had it.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

kid sinister posted:

Look into bog plants. Maybe a canna?

Why not American Pitcher Plants? :getin:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yeah just turn that planter into a carnivorous plant bog.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I want a Kaleidoscope Mayapple.

Only problem is that it's so rare, nobody has them for sale! Does anybody know of any nurseries selling it?

Mr. Soop posted:

Why not American Pitcher Plants? :getin:

I thought all carnivores were bog plants?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 22, 2015

Communist Pie
Mar 11, 2007

...Robot!
So I got a pothos back in August, and it has grown really well, it reached down to the bottom of the pot when I planted it, and now (I really should take more cuttings, and fill it out, but I kind of just want to see how big it'll get at this point):

Unfortunately, it has had some problems. It had mealybugs when I got it, which I believe have been eliminated. That one was easy to diagnose, but I am unsure what is wrong with it now. It has begun to develop brown spots on some of the leaves. Some of the leaves are old, some are new, the spots are always near the edges of the leaves, below is an example of one that has it really bad:

Here's a shot from the backside showing pinprick sized black spots:

Any idea what is the cause of this? I'd be surprised if watering was the issue. I usually leave the leaves alone as much as possible, but I sprayed some of them down today to clean them out and noticed the water coming off them was quite dirty, is it possible that some stuff I had used for the mealybugs had built up on the leaves and that was what caused this? I had taken some cuttings off of this one maybe 6 months ago, and it developed a similar problem soon after, I removed those leaves, and it's been fine sitting in water since.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Communist Pie posted:

So I got a pothos back in August, and it has grown really well, it reached down to the bottom of the pot when I planted it, and now (I really should take more cuttings, and fill it out, but I kind of just want to see how big it'll get at this point)

Good luck with that. Pothos can easily do 20-30 feet from their pot.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Discovery: real life plants aren't exactly as quick and exciting as Animal Crossing plants.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Avocados posted:

Discovery: real life plants aren't exactly as quick and exciting as Animal Crossing plants.

This is true.

Animal Crossing plants were kinda annoying as well. I have to be careful about making sure not to walk on top of them or else they'll die? Screw that, Nintendo, I just want to go frolic amongst the pansies!

Yeah but srsly, sometimes I just buy an adult plant from the store instead of growing them from seeds. Instant gratification, yo. Germinating seeds can take a while, and even then a seed may decide to say 'gently caress you,' and refuse to grow (which seems like it would be loss on their part but idk :shrug:).

It might take a while, but I'm sure your seeds will come through. My forget-me-not seeds took a month to get going, but as soon as they did and were not even three inches tall, they were already in bloom. Good luck, and expect some cute plants soon!

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

EagerSleeper posted:

It might take a while, but I'm sure your seeds will come through. My forget-me-not seeds took a month to get going, but as soon as they did and were not even three inches tall, they were already in bloom. Good luck, and expect some cute plants soon!

They can be just as surprising as Animal Crossing sometimes. I had a set of forget-me-not transplants that I left in their tray too long. They had completely dried out by the time I noticed, but I freaked out and planted them anyway. About a month later and they're all eight inches tall and blooming, after limping along for several weeks looking nearly dead. It was as if they suddenly decided they felt like living after all.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Lots of flowers in (some of) my pot plants :)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Woke up to 5 sprouts this morning :stare:. I uh, heh, wasn't expecting that. Should I not worry about overcrowding until the plants are more or less developed? There's still more seeds in there somewhere in the soil.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

kid sinister posted:

I thought all carnivores were bog plants?

Are Nepenthes considered bog plants?

General Apathy
Apr 5, 2009
Would some one be able to help identifying this bush?
I have done a search for bushes with red berries, but there are a lot of them and they all look very similar.
It's about 4 foot tall, with silver furry undersides of leaves. The berries are about 1cm across with 2 decent sized seeds at the centre.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

General Apathy posted:

Would some one be able to help identifying this bush?
I have done a search for bushes with red berries, but there are a lot of them and they all look very similar.
It's about 4 foot tall, with silver furry undersides of leaves. The berries are about 1cm across with 2 decent sized seeds at the centre.

Silver-leaved cotoneaster Cotoneaster pannosus?

General Apathy
Apr 5, 2009
That certainly does look like it, Thank you.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Seriously, does anyone know where I can get a Kaleidoscope Mayapple, or at least some ornamental ones?

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007

kid sinister posted:

Seriously, does anyone know where I can get a Kaleidoscope Mayapple, or at least some ornamental ones?

I have no idea, but some random Google-ing brought up a few leads:

Plant Delights Nursery has a hybrid called "Galaxy" which they claim is nearly identical and for sale right now on the website.

and

Hallson Gardens claims to sell it via mail order April to mid-May, so you may just have missed it for the year.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Pogo the Clown posted:

I have no idea, but some random Google-ing brought up a few leads:

Plant Delights Nursery has a hybrid called "Galaxy" which they claim is nearly identical and for sale right now on the website.

and

Hallson Gardens claims to sell it via mail order April to mid-May, so you may just have missed it for the year.

Thanks. I found that first link. I also think I figured out why nobody has it for sale anymore, even though it was patented. If you look at all the pictures for it, the pattern isn't consistent. That probably means that the variegation isn't stable and probably reverts after awhile. Oh well. I was always a fan of the native mayapples that grow wild around here, and that those new hybrids lasted all year.

Now I'm looking at a Stinking Hellebore 'Wester Flisk'. I have this very shady spot in my garden that I swear is death row. Nothing grows there no matter how well I amend the soil. I've got some toad lilies, a bleeding heart, a heavenly bamboo, a lungwort barely hanging on and a very leggy oak leaf hydrangea on the sunny edge. So far I've killed a pieris, a couple coral bells and the hosta in the corner there didn't come up this year. Does anyone have any ideas on what will grow there?

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I've grown Ajuga reptans (bugleweed) in total shade (and I mean total shade- it's in that awkward area under my chimney on the north side of my house) and it just thrives. The 6 plants I started with have spread to a mat covering a 4' by 6' area. My question though is how wet is the area? Hosta should do well in shade, but if the site gets too wet during the dormant season your hosta crowns under the soil will rot. If you've got a wet site you'd probably do well with some ferns. Cimcifuga racemosa (black snakeroot) is also a very good statement plant for a wet shady spot. Native wildflowers are also a good bet, things like trilliums, bloodroot, jack-in-the-pulpit, etc.

Keep in mind a wet site might not mean it's wet year-round. If things are dry during the summer but it's sopping during the winter that can be death for a lot of plants, because their roots will just turn to goo while they're dormant.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
I haven't kept succulents before but when you come across a plant that looks like a bunch of hellish monster mouths you don't pass it up. The label says it's Faucaria tigrina.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Faucaria are great! Just keep it in lots of light and don't over-water it.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

:swoon: Such beauties!

I'm super excited to be going to the San Francisco Succulent and Cactus Society's Annual Show and Sale this weekend! :neckbeard:

My collection of succulents isn't terribly extensive, I mainly have a lot of clones of this one Echeveria/Graptoveria*** some Haworthias and "Gollum" Jade Plants, and a few others. I'm not terribly knowledgeable on which kinds of succulents are hard to find normally. So, I would greatly appreciate any advice on/suggestions for specific species and cultivars I should be on the lookout for, specifically because it'd be hard to get my hands on them outside of opportunities like this.

Everyone likes pictures right? :v: Here's most of my collection:

I've no idea what this baby plant is. I got it from the local volunteer-run arboretum society, and all their plants are donations, so they often don't know the cultivar either. Its dark and light green variegated leaves with jagged edges seem promising!

I'm not 100% sure what exactly this white powder-covered one is, but I *think* it's a Pachyphytum Oviferum? If so, is it supposed to have that white powdery fuzz on it's stems as well? Or should I be more worried?

Now this silvery-purple beauty is one my favorite! :allears: I think this is a Graptoveria "Debbie" or a Perle von Nurnberg Echeveria? Its leaves are somewhat thick, so probably the former.

This stout dark green plant was in the background of few of the other photos, but here's a close up of it's shockingly magenta underside.

***UPDATE: Three days after originally composing this post, most of those echeveria/graptoveria/whatever clones have been trashed.

I discovered an aphid infestation in one of the branches of my supposed pachyphytum oviferum. :gonk: I cut off the offending branch, sprayed water at it until I knocked all the little creeps off, then quarantined the branch in No Plants Land. Several days later both the branch and the rest of the plant seem to to be okay for now? It's too early to tell.

However, that one infestation freaked me out, so I went and closely examined my other plants. And this is what I found:

:qq:

Many of them had colonies of these white fuzzy egg/bug/gross-rear end poo poo just hanging out under the decorative layer of pebbles. :barf: The pebbles must've kept the soil too damp, soooo never using those again. (I only spotted one actively moving tiny white bug the whole time, from investigation to repotting, so it also might be some kind of fungus? :iiam:)

I repotted every plant that had visible fuzzy egg things in the soil, threw that soil the hell out (including most of the sproutlings in infested pots), dipped the roots in 120F water (only some of the plants; didn't realize you could do that safely until I was about half-way through repotting), washed the poo poo out of the pots, trimmed off every leaf and branch that looked even vaguely sickly or had scars, and sterilized new soil in the oven before replanting. A bottle of neem oil arrived today, so I'll try to figure out how to best use that on soil-based pests.

Googling tells me the pests are probably root mealy bugs or root aphids, but I can't tell which.

I'll be keeping anything I end up buying at the Succulent Society Sale (would still love suggestions on what to look for!) in a separate quarantine zone for a few weeks before introducing them to the others. I just want my plant babies to live and not be full of bugs. :ohdear: Is that too much to ask?

Squats fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 2, 2015

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
Don't know what it is, but I'm going to assume it's mold so:

Stupid question: do those pots have drainage holes? Pretty sure they do, but some look like drinking cups so I'm not sure.

What mix are you using? You can water succulents fairly regularly but the mix can't hold water after watering, if that makes sense. After watering, all of the space is replaced with fresh air so watering helps aerate the soil. Even if you don't water a lot, you'll get root rot if the soil remains damp and stagnant. If the plant can't uptake all of the excess water in the pot, or it can't be evaporated fast enough, you'll get stagnant spots in the pot, which means either the plant is overpotted or the soil mix needs to be faster draining. You'll also get mold if the potting soil remains stagnant.

Also some of those look like they're planted too low. Having the soil nearer to the rim of the pot will help increase airflow over the top of the soil. Shorter pots would also dry faster. Some of those are really tall.

Hope this helps. Sorry about the loss :(

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Marchegiana posted:

I've grown Ajuga reptans (bugleweed) in total shade (and I mean total shade- it's in that awkward area under my chimney on the north side of my house) and it just thrives. The 6 plants I started with have spread to a mat covering a 4' by 6' area. My question though is how wet is the area? Hosta should do well in shade, but if the site gets too wet during the dormant season your hosta crowns under the soil will rot. If you've got a wet site you'd probably do well with some ferns. Cimcifuga racemosa (black snakeroot) is also a very good statement plant for a wet shady spot. Native wildflowers are also a good bet, things like trilliums, bloodroot, jack-in-the-pulpit, etc.

Keep in mind a wet site might not mean it's wet year-round. If things are dry during the summer but it's sopping during the winter that can be death for a lot of plants, because their roots will just turn to goo while they're dormant.

I've got some bugleweed growing wild in my grass on the back edge of the yard. I didn't plant it and I can't see any neighbors from my place with it. I kind of like it there because grass doesn't grow there too well. That spot is also shady on a steep slope with lots of lovely clay because I had to dig up the posts for a wood fence there that ivy that swallowed and broke. I dug up the ivy roots too. End result, I got crappy dirt along my back fence and I found neighbors I never knew I had.

Anyway, I was looking for something taller than a ground cover. It's drier there than wet, but a hosta already died in the back corner in that bed. Then again that might be because of my dog "watering" it.

General Apathy
Apr 5, 2009
I recently planted out a bunch of walnuts as they came of the tree here in autumn (Australia). I was expecting them to lay dormant until spring but we are now 3 days into winter and they are already sprouting.
Am I going to lose them all? It gets cold here but I don't expect any frosts.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Flattened Spoon posted:

Don't know what it is, but I'm going to assume it's mold so:

Stupid question: do those pots have drainage holes? Pretty sure they do, but some look like drinking cups so I'm not sure.

What mix are you using? You can water succulents fairly regularly but the mix can't hold water after watering, if that makes sense. After watering, all of the space is replaced with fresh air so watering helps aerate the soil. Even if you don't water a lot, you'll get root rot if the soil remains damp and stagnant. If the plant can't uptake all of the excess water in the pot, or it can't be evaporated fast enough, you'll get stagnant spots in the pot, which means either the plant is overpotted or the soil mix needs to be faster draining. You'll also get mold if the potting soil remains stagnant.

Also some of those look like they're planted too low. Having the soil nearer to the rim of the pot will help increase airflow over the top of the soil. Shorter pots would also dry faster. Some of those are really tall.

Hope this helps. Sorry about the loss :(

Yup, all the pots have drainage holes. I even ended up drilling bonus holes in the larger cups while the plants were out of them, since I noticed the soil was so damp.

It's the Miracle Gro cactus and succulent soil mix, in most cases, cut with 1/3 perlite. I didn't realize they were seated to low, I'll add more soil and raise them higher in their pots when I get the chance.

Thanks for the advice!

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007

General Apathy posted:

I recently planted out a bunch of walnuts as they came of the tree here in autumn (Australia). I was expecting them to lay dormant until spring but we are now 3 days into winter and they are already sprouting.
Am I going to lose them all? It gets cold here but I don't expect any frosts.

Most walnuts are from colder climates and actually require a period of cold weather each year to be happy, so they may be fine, but probably you should have waited until late winter/early spring before planting. I'd say shield them from any potential frosts and hope for the best.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh yeah a head's up to anyone in the Bay Area that the BACPS Annual Show and Sale is on Saturday the 6th from noon to 4 at the Lake Merritt Garden Center in Oakland. It's gonna rule – come look at some carnivorous plants.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

Kenning posted:

Oh yeah a head's up to anyone in the Bay Area that the BACPS Annual Show and Sale is on Saturday the 6th from noon to 4 at the Lake Merritt Garden Center in Oakland. It's gonna rule – come look at some carnivorous plants.

Thanks for the heads up! I've been looking forward to it for months! Everybody there is so nice and they have amazing plants!!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Here I made this for Facebook.

The plants are gonna be rad.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
You finally gonna get some Nepenthes? Do it, do it, do it, do it!

Ordered some flasked Drosera regia. Should be an interesting process.

I'm envious of you for living somewhere with an active society.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The UMCPS seems pretty active based on their web presence. Dunno how convenient that is for you though. And I actually have 2 Nepenthes which grow near my kitchen windowsill. I'll almost certainly get more neps eventually, but I'm absolutely not going to work hard to provide them excellent conditions. They'll just have to make do!

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
I'm fairly similar in how I care for most of my plants, actually. I've been moving away from some of my more temperamental Aloes and Euphorbias towards Agaves, as they seem to be much less finicky, by and large. Everything I own has to be able to go outside in the summer. I'll provide the right media and watering conditions, but past that, I'd rather keep the strong, rather than nurse something along that looks like crap.

That said, I'm definitely setting up a Heliamphora tank in a basement someday.

In plant-related news, I'm working at bringing in square net pots and larger/shallow rectangular net pots from China, for sales and air pruning purposes, especially with tree seed germination. Have a bead on a property, and want to get my conifer propagation back on track. Hard to make progress when your ex-wife decides to end your relationship by mowing over $1500+ of plants, including the first trees you ever grafted.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

:gonk:

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
On top of the carnivorous plants society show, you Californians should be going to the SF Succulent & Cactus Society sale, this weekend, in Golden Gate park. Lots of good succulent people will be selling stuff at great prices.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I know unprofessional has probably already seen it (since he's in the carnivorous plant Facebook groups) but here's my post about the 2015 BACPS Show.

A few preview shots:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That fukken pot

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Those carnivorous plants are gorgeous. I tried a sundew once but it didn't make it past a year and a half.

Flowers!

So pink it's over saturated

Some south african succulent thing which I asked about in this thread a long time ago. It's grown a lot!

This isn't quite there yet - it belongs to the ball cactus in the background and will be totally spectacular tomorrow

edit: turns out the cactus was a little faster than I expected - here it is an hour later

the fart question fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Did I kill this thing? Is there any way to save it?