Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

thank you beef

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I watched the last episode of Hunter x Hunter today after putting it off for months.

I'm not sure I like the surprise aliens reveal. Like the world feels plenty big enough already without adding that particular wrinkle. I get that it's just a stopping point for the anime, but it's also kind of a cheap move to just throw out there at the last second with no promise of a follow up.

Also, the butler dude being alive fakeout at end pissed me off and hurt me emotionally.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ADTRW is surprisingly good now. But still, bring back Dick Spacious.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Strange Quark posted:

I watched the last episode of Hunter x Hunter today after putting it off for months.

I'm not sure I like the surprise aliens reveal. Like the world feels plenty big enough already without adding that particular wrinkle. I get that it's just a stopping point for the anime, but it's also kind of a cheap move to just throw out there at the last second with no promise of a follow up.

Also, the butler dude being alive fakeout at end pissed me off and hurt me emotionally.
It actually isn't aliens, if you can believe that.

Also, yeah, Not!Gotoh made me mad too.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

It actually isn't aliens, if you can believe that.

Also, yeah, Not!Gotoh made me mad too.

I'm not sure how else you could spin non-native species to this world, but I'm up for Ging being mistaken.

In either case, I look forward to seeing this plot point get resolved in ten or so years.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

is Mukuro Chandelier good? i got it in my open tabs which means someone posted about it here somewhere, but the description is weird and off-putting

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
ADTRW is good because most of the time the people are cool and chill. Every other forum everyone just wants to be mean to everyone.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Davincie posted:

is Mukuro Chandelier good? i got it in my open tabs which means someone posted about it here somewhere, but the description is weird and off-putting

I posted about it in the shoujo thread. It's a weird little comic and doesn't always make sense, but I liked it.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Been playing Mass Effect 2 the last few days, I think this game is pretty anime.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Everything Burrito posted:

I posted about it in the shoujo thread. It's a weird little comic and doesn't always make sense, but I liked it.

i guess ill try it

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

I'm not sure how else you could spin non-native species to this world, but I'm up for Ging being mistaken.
In the manga they bring up something called the Dark Continent, which is a world "Outside" of the world everyone knows. It's where the chimera ants came from, as well as possibly Nanika. It's not a very pleasant place.

The world of Hunter x Hunter that everyone's familiar with is actually just a collection of islands in a lake at the center of the Dark Continent.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

In the manga they bring up something called the Dark Continent, which is a world "Outside" of the world everyone knows. It's where the chimera ants came from, as well as possibly Nanika. It's not a very pleasant place.

The world of Hunter x Hunter that everyone's familiar with is actually just a collection of islands in a lake at the center of the Dark Continent.

Oh, that does sound pretty neat. I can get on board with that.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Bad Seafood posted:

The only problem with this is that HxH's author has such severe back problems that it'll be nigh-impossible to make him ever complete the manga series. So unless Madhouse can somehow get his permission to write an anime-exclusive spin on the Dark Continent arc that actually works, this will never get explored.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I'm going to go drink some Coke and watch Gurren Lagann right away m'thinks

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

Oh, that does sound pretty neat. I can get on board with that.
The arc following the Chairman Election involves Netero's son trying to drum up interest in an expedition there.

Also interesting in that the focus seems to be on Kurapika and Leorio this time. Too bad we're gonna have to wait 10 years for Togashi to draw it.

Grouchio posted:

The only problem with this is that HxH's author has such severe back problems that it'll be nigh-impossible to make him ever complete the manga series. So unless Madhouse can somehow get his permission to write an anime-exclusive spin on the Dark Continent arc that actually works, this will never get explored.
Yeah. I think by this point Togashi would be better served teaming up with someone else to do the art.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Check out the cockpit.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Also interesting in that the focus seems to be on Kurapika and Leorio this time. Too bad we're gonna have to wait 10 years for Togashi to draw it.

I hope so. One of my biggest disappointments with the series was not nearly enough Leorio screen time.

I like Kurapika fine, but seeing him always makes me nervous. His character arc seems like it's going with the standard revenge plot stuff that gets worse before or if it gets better, which is real emotionally draining to follow.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

hisoka needs jesus

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

anime about giant robots piloted by anime girls with red tribal tattoos that ring a bill for anyone? this aired in the early-mid 00's. would like to know the name thanks

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I kind of assumed that Plastic Nee-san was gonna somehow involve plastic models.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I just rewatched Paranoia Agent for the first time in years and I'm curious if there's anything like that to come out recentish? It doesn't even have to be anime but figured I'd have more luck here than tviv.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

new saint seiya soul of gold ftw. gemini saga loving owns but i wish this was dubbed because his brazilian voice is loving win

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

does HXH 2011 have an original ending, since the manga has been on haitus for about two and a half years?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

HIHIHIHAHAHAHAHEHEHE!!! MORRRRRRA SEIYA!!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Len posted:

I just rewatched Paranoia Agent for the first time in years and I'm curious if there's anything like that to come out recentish? It doesn't even have to be anime but figured I'd have more luck here than tviv.
Welcome to the NHK is a tiny bit like it? That's all I got.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Len posted:

Have you seen Satoshi Kon's other work? It's all movies but it's very similar in tone, Paranoia Agent was his way to make short stories out of ideas and scripts he couldn't spin out into feature length

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Worst Girl posted:

does HXH 2011 have an original ending, since the manga has been on haitus for about two and a half years?

No, it just stops where the manga leaves off after the Chairman Election arc, but it's functionally a natural open-ended ending.

And anyway, the manga's only been on hiatus for less than a year this time!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Have you seen Satoshi Kon's other work? It's all movies but it's very similar in tone, Paranoia Agent was his way to make short stories out of ideas and scripts he couldn't spin out into feature length

I have not. I think I started one once a long time ago but never finished it. Hell I'd take suggestions for older shows too. I remember being told Boogiepop Phantom and Serial Experiments Lain were kind of similar but I know I watched those two and I remember nothing about them so they must not have been things I enjoyed.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Vorik posted:

anime about giant robots piloted by anime girls with red tribal tattoos that ring a bill for anyone? this aired in the early-mid 00's. would like to know the name thanks

girls with red tattoos makes me think of Neo Ranga, but it's not really a robot show so idk

there's a thread dedicated to identifying anime that might be of more help here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3344106

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Gurren Lagann has gotten really good. Either that or it just turned into my kind of show.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

:canada:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I'm very disappointed that I haven't seen any Tim Horton's like this.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

dogsicle posted:

girls with red tattoos makes me think of Neo Ranga, but it's not really a robot show so idk

there's a thread dedicated to identifying anime that might be of more help here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3344106

no dats de one

ty

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

im ready for hannibals eyepatch, ive always been ready

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

im sad lake trasimene got cut short though, its a really interesting thing

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I initially thought the screamo ED in Hunter X Hunter didn't really fit with the rest of the show, but now that Illumi showed up and Killua is getting edgier than ever, I'm starting to get it.

• Locked thread