Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

As I was watching it, it felt like it dragged a bit any time the War Rig wasn't in motion, but after the credits rolled and I thought back on it, I didn't mind those parts at all.

Honestly, the movie really benefited from that downtime between all of the action, like how the War Rig engines needed to cool off every now and then. The action went on just long enough without feeling overwhelming and exhausting, unlike, say the big 40-odd minute mess that was the climax of Man of Steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
My brain thinks that because Bay thinks random visual noise thrown at the viewer is "film making". I guess I find it insulting when a director decides that if he frantically tosses enough poo poo in my face, I won't notice his incompetence.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Just saw it again and the showing ended up being completely sold out. There were definitely some, like myself, that were into multiple viewings but it seemed mostly new people. Everybody cheered when Joe got his face ripped off and people were crying when it looked like Furiosa was about to die, it was cool seeing everyone's reactions.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Another thing to consider is that Nux finds himself in a nurturing environment that functions like a family, and everyone there works as a team and they all view each other as equals.

Furiosa's crew really functions as a counterpoint to Joe's cult, in that everyone works to support each other and they survive because they have a team mentality. Max taking out the People-Eater is a great illustration of it - Furiosa holds him up, Nux boots him on to the People-Eater's car and one of the Vuvalini takes out the machinegunner, and Max runs interference against the War Boys to assist Furiosa and her War Rig.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Another thing I noticed on the second viewing: During the Buzzard Chase the War Boys actually go out of their way to pull one of their number off of a doomed dirt bike about to get pasted, and onto the relative and temporary safety of one of their pursuit vehicles, seconds before a Spike Car demolishes it.

Little beats like that establish some nuance and make them more threatening and interesting as adversaries than they would be in the hands of a lesser storyteller. While they're perfectly willing to kamakaze, they don't do it as a first recourse and they do think tactically and look out for each other so they don't sell their lives for no gain.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Man, eighties Grace Jones would be :perfect: for a Mad Max film. Or Grace Jones in general...

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Just saw it again and the showing ended up being completely sold out. There were definitely some, like myself, that were into multiple viewings but it seemed mostly new people. Everybody cheered when Joe got his face ripped off and people were crying when it looked like Furiosa was about to die, it was cool seeing everyone's reactions.

I wish I could have been to a screening with this much emotion but I'll settle for the old people at my matinee showing getting super into the movie.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

Another thing to consider is that Nux finds himself in a nurturing environment that functions like a family, and everyone there works as a team and they all view each other as equals.

Furiosa's crew really functions as a counterpoint to Joe's cult, in that everyone works to support each other and they survive because they have a team mentality. Max taking out the People-Eater is a great illustration of it - Furiosa holds him up, Nux boots him on to the People-Eater's car and one of the Vuvalini takes out the machinegunner, and Max runs interference against the War Boys to assist Furiosa and her War Rig.
I can't remember where I read this, but some reviewer pointed out that the "wives", who would be huddled uselessly in ornamental terror in nearly any other action movie, are doing things and helping out constantly -- they don't all of a sudden turn into black-thumb kung fu goddesses either, but they're sitting watch, counting ammo, helping to dig the rig out of the mud, just being useful as best they can with what they have. Movie doesn't make a big point about it either, which is really nice to see.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

teagone posted:

I finally got around to seeing this movie. It owns so hard. Half in the Bag's description of it essentially being a fairy tale set in a post-apocalyptic setting is now my favorite way of describing this movie.

I've actually never seen the other Mad Max movies though. Will I be disappointed in watching those after seeing Fury Road? Or will they be sweet embellishments?

You should see Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior for sure. You don't have to see the films in any particular order as there isn't any progression of plot elements that matters in any way and the films are only very loosely connected in any sense. The other ones you can take or leave in my opinion, I'm kind of meh on the original film myself but to each his own.

Are the box office numbers that have been cited good? Will the film be considered a success?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Vagabundo posted:

spite house posted:

I can't remember where I read this, but some reviewer pointed out that the "wives", who would be huddled uselessly in ornamental terror in nearly any other action movie, are doing things and helping out constantly -- they don't all of a sudden turn into black-thumb kung fu goddesses either, but they're sitting watch, counting ammo, helping to dig the rig out of the mud, just being useful as best they can with what they have. Movie doesn't make a big point about it either, which is really nice to see.

These are two of the things that I think make this movie great. Undeneath how harcore and loving awesome and brutal this movie is, the message is basically "People who respect each other and work together can overthrow their oppressors" and "Acting on your convictions is the only thing that matters". The wives aren't just sitting around being rescued, they are all actively doing what they think will help them achieve their individual goals.

While I basically laughed at it during my first viewing, I also really like the scene where they are winching the War Rig out of the quagmire. Furiousa starts trying to push the War Rig, which is completely ridiculous. Meanwhile, Max is holding on to the tree, like he's loving doing anything to stop it from being ripped out of the ground. They both have the same mad, stubborn, drive to try even in the face of being inconsequential.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I also like how even in a movie that feels like a 2 hour chase scene, you can still pick a list of your top 5-7 sequences and that would likely include at least one of the parts without a chase.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

spite house posted:

Other movies with women as heroes are usually just pandering bullshit. All 90 pounds of Mila Jovovich (or the scrawny waifs from Sucker Punch) (or Scarlett Johanson) is never going to kick some big guy's rear end (Fifth Element, wherein Jovovich is a superhuman alien exempt). But Furiosa being a crack shot, or the wives just not being damsels in distress, or Furiosa swinging a wrench at an unarmed guy, or Furiosa driving the gently caress out of a death-dealing war machine all make perfect, realistic sense.

It's why Ripley outsmarting the Alien, or her using non-physical skills against the Queen totally works.

It's why Sarah Connor being a tactician with real world military combat skills works.

It's really sad that the bar for women in action movies is so low that "being useful" is almost a revelation to be heralded. Especially when too many (always male) directors completely overshoot the mark and make these awful movies where tiny women (in almost not there outfits, naturally) can just throw down like a 300 pound brawler and the director calls himself a feminist in the most smugly self-congratulatory way.

(I really want to punch Zak Snyder and Joss Whedon in the dick every day forever)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

I also like how even in a movie that feels like a 2 hour chase scene, you can still pick a list of your top 5-7 sequences and that would likely include at least one of the parts without a chase.

The 3-way fight between Max, Furiosa and Nux just might be my number 1 sequence.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

The 3-way fight between Max, Furiosa and Nux just might be my number 1 sequence.

My favorite touch to that scene is that 8-month pregnant Angharad is totally leading the charge on Nux, pulling his chain or trying to hold him down. She is dead loving serious about not letting anyone stop them from their goal.

Going with what I said above: In any other movie she'd be helplessly screaming or doing super kung fu. Here she's fighting with everything she's got, even if she's overpowered, because it simply has to be done.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

That's pretty much what I had in mind. In fact, that whole scene including Furiosa negotiating with Max to get the rig back included.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Other movies with women as heroes are usually just pandering bullshit. All 90 pounds of Mila Jovovich (or the scrawny waifs from Sucker Punch) (or Scarlett Johanson) is never going to kick some big guy's rear end (Fifth Element, wherein Jovovich is a superhuman alien exempt). But Furiosa being a crack shot, or the wives just not being damsels in distress, or Furiosa swinging a wrench at an unarmed guy, or Furiosa driving the gently caress out of a death-dealing war machine all make perfect, realistic sense.

It's why Ripley outsmarting the Alien, or her using non-physical skills against the Queen totally works.

It's why Sarah Connor being a tactician with real world military combat skills works.

It's really sad that the bar for women in action movies is so low that "being useful" is almost a revelation to be heralded. Especially when too many (always male) directors completely overshoot the mark and make these awful movies where tiny women (in almost not there outfits, naturally) can just throw down like a 300 pound brawler and the director calls himself a feminist in the most smugly self-congratulatory way.

(I really want to punch Zak Snyder and Joss Whedon in the dick every day forever)

I mean, I think Joss Whedon did a lot of good stuff with Buffy: The Vampire Slayer. There was a lot more to that show than waif fu and "girl power", but Whedon definitely fetishizes the "hot girl is magically a badass" thing. He used the difficulties and burdens of being The Slayer as metaphors for various growing up/coming-of-age issues and that was great. But then he made Serenity, and Doll House, which both featured tiny thin girls without any superpowers that could take on dozens of armed foes with nothing but the skills that were put into them by computers.

It's also why I like the movie Haywire a lot, because unlike movies where Mila Jovovich or Angelina Jolie is playing a badass, Gina Carano has the physicallity to make you believe she's really beating the poo poo out of people. Her fight scene with Channing Tatum, for example, is loving amazing. Like it belongs in the category of great one-on-one brawls that is totally dominated by men fighting with other men. A lot of times, fight scenes centered around female badasses are handled differently. They are choreographed to emphasize "feminine grace", agility, and flexibility. Haywire basically cast a woman as Jason Bourne and then doesn't make any changes to the plot or style because they cast a woman whose body language and physique are fitting for a character who is a former US Marine-turned-assassin.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I saw Haywire the same month I saw The Grey and it was one hell of an unexpectedly great January

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

I mean, I think Joss Whedon did a lot of good stuff with Buffy: The Vampire Slayer. There was a lot more to that show than waif fu and "girl power", but Whedon definitely fetishizes the "hot girl is magically a badass" thing. He used the difficulties and burdens of being The Slayer as metaphors for various growing up/coming-of-age issues and that was great. But then he made Serenity, and Doll House, which both featured tiny thin girls without any superpowers that could take on dozens of armed foes with nothing but the skills that were put into them by computers.

It's also why I like the movie Haywire a lot, because unlike movies where Mila Jovovich or Angelina Jolie is playing a badass, Gina Carano has the physicallity to make you believe she's really beating the poo poo out of people. Her fight scene with Channing Tatum, for example, is loving amazing. Like it belongs in the category of great one-on-one brawls that is totally dominated by men fighting with other men. A lot of times, fight scenes centered around female badasses are handled differently. They are choreographed to emphasize "feminine grace", agility, and flexibility. Haywire basically cast a woman as Jason Bourne and then doesn't make any changes to the plot or style because they cast a woman whose body language and physique are fitting for a character who is a former US Marine-turned-assassin.

That's something I mentioned with the Game of Thrones thread. They hired a bunch of supermodels to play the Sand Snakes (the legendary toughest women in the world) when there's thousands of latina women in MMA.

Also, it annoys the poo poo out of me that in the Entourage trailer before Fury Road there's a perfectly reasonable scene a woman MMA Fighter kicks the rear end of some regular schmuck, but it's played 100% for laughs like "hahaha, a woman doing a manly thing, and a man getting beat up by a girl! How absurd!" Then 45 minutes later Furiosa is trying to kill Max with a pipe wrench and you're like "Jesus Christ, Max, don't let her get you! Holy poo poo!"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xenophon posted:

I saw Haywire the same month I saw The Grey and it was one hell of an unexpectedly great January

Haywire also had the always dreamy Michael Fassbender.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

etalian posted:

Haywire also had the always dreamy Michael Fassbender.

There's a point where he sucker punches her and it's just brutal. I think a big part of having women in these roles is not only showing them beating up men but being able to take a beating too and still come out on top.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Cacator posted:

There's a point where he sucker punches her and it's just brutal. I think a big part of having women in these roles is not only showing them beating up men but being able to take a beating too and still come out on top.

On the flip-side, check out (please don't) Terminator 3 for how to do this completely wrong.

My favorite touch to that scene is that 8-month pregnant Angharad is totally leading the charge on Nux, pulling his chain or trying to hold him down. She is dead loving serious about not letting anyone stop them from their goal.

Going with what I said above: In any other movie she'd be helplessly screaming or doing super kung fu. Here she's fighting with everything she's got, even if she's overpowered, because it simply has to be done.

I like that even though it's a tense scene, Angharad is clearly not afraid of Max when she brings the hose to him at gunpoint.

And that her pregnancy isn't used as a plot device to make her vulnerable/valuable (to the viewer, she obviously is to Joe), AND doesn't give her plot armor. Not only is she not plot-armored by her pregnancy, she isn't killed in a way specific to being pregnant.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

To be fair this applies most action movie protagonists, regardless of gender. For instance Mel Gibson's Max relied more on his wits and his driving skill than his strength/fighting ability. Tom Hardy's Max is more of a brawler and spends more time running around jumping from car to car than actually driving them.

EDIT: I was just thinking about how Fury Road was created as a series of thousands of storyboard panels rather than a traditional script, are there any other live action films that were made this way? The only other thing that comes to mind is Jodorowski's Dune, but that never actually got made.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
^^^ That's what I was getting at. Men in action films can be regular Joes (John McClane) who manage to outwit the villains.

"Tough" women in action films are almost ALWAYS scrawny supermodels doing ballet against hulking brutes who'd smash them to pieces. It's pandering as gently caress.

So many movies can pull off the regular Joe beats the villain action scene, but it's an extremely rare gem, like T2, Aliens, or Fury Road where a heroine gets the same mental and physical challenge without some bullshit cop-out pandering super kung fu that only serves for gratuitous rear end shots and skin tight leather breast displays as they bounce around on wires being cartoonishly feminine while "kicking rear end".

Snak posted:

And that her pregnancy isn't used as a plot device to make her vulnerable/valuable (to the viewer, she obviously is to Joe), AND doesn't give her plot armor. Not only is she not plot-armored by her pregnancy, she isn't killed in a way specific to being pregnant.

That's another thing. Her death is genuinely shocking because she is plot-armored to hell and back, and she bites it relatively quickly. She's the impetus of their escape, a moral leader, a self-sacrificing hero, and a regular contributor. She's a saintly mother figure.

If I weren't exhausted I'd write an SMG post about how she's Mary/Jesus.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 1, 2015

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Out of the ruins, out from the wreckage
Can't make the same mistake this time
We are the warboys, the last generation
We are the ones they left behind

And I wonder when we are ever gonna change it
Living under the fear till nothing else remains

We don't need another hero
We don't need to know the way home
All we want is life beyond the Fury Road

Looking for something we can rely on
There's got to be something better out there
Love and compassion, their day is coming
All else are castles built in the air

And I wonder when we are ever gonna change it
Living under the fear till nothing else remains

All the warboys say, "We don't need another hero
We don't need to know the way home”

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Otisburg posted:

We don't need another hero

Otisburg posted:

We don't need to know the way home

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I think you missed a lot of the point of Sucker Punch, but otherwise you're on point.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I recall both the warboy-modified interceptor and Rictus' monster truck being noticeably chromish in a few shots. The Gigahorse had some attempts at shiny detailing too, especially the dashboard covered in car manufacturer symbols. I think it was just rare enough to be considered noteworthy and reserved for the powerful, like a futuristic purple pigment analog.

I don't think the War Boy Interceptor was actual chrome. I think it just had its paint stripped and then left with a Delorean-esque buffed/brushed bare metal finish Rictus' bigfoot might've been the same way, but I'm not sure.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Snowman_McK posted:

I think you missed a lot of the point of Sucker Punch, but otherwise you're on point.

I get that it's self-contained fantasy. You'd have to completely wedge yourself up your own rear end to miss that.

But the fantasy is still very much appealing to a male film audience, wherein the supermodels are super kung fu masters dealing massive damage to larger foes with thin wrists and heaving breasts.

In Zak Snyder's world, "feminism" is the act of a woman in a cage titillating a hormonal teen boy. And men are mustache twirlers.

In George Miller's world, "feminism" is a woman making her own choices and standing up for them. And men are complex beings of their own, but the worst of them are recognizably evil but still complex.

"Yay girls, boo men!" is such a pathetic, rudimentary, childish male feminist view, unaware of its own exploitative narrative, which is precisely what Zak Snyder goes for, and is exactly why he doesn't captivate female audiences.

It's like a white guy directing a blaxploitation movie and patting himself on the back for being "one of the good ones". It's so transparent and self-serving that it's cringe-inducing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If this design is up your alley, it's $11 until the end of the day today.

http://www.teefury.com/

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Any of those avatars from a few pages backs till available? How do you even check, anyway?

God, I loved this movie.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
A gif that could work really well is the moment that Nux manages to get the fallen cartridge only to be glomped by ALL the wives. He's just sooo proud of himself :3:
It looks almost like a Looney Tunes sketch.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Good movie but I do agree with the people who say there should have been more Max and less robot arm lady.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Good movie but I do agree with the people who say there should have been more Max and less robot arm lady.

:agreed: Max needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Whenever Max isn't on screen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Max?"

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If this design is up your alley, it's $11 until the end of the day today.

http://www.teefury.com/

Nice idea, terrible execution.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Any of those avatars from a few pages backs till available? How do you even check, anyway?

God, I loved this movie.

Never fear, I've been keeping track. These are the available ones at the moment I believe.

:3:

And the Old Max ones if you're into that:

TerminalSaint avs:

code:
[s]human being[/s] FANG IT
All cool bros need Mad Max avs. Even SMG. Especially SMG.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Noxville posted:

Nice idea, terrible execution.

Yeah, it doesn't really capture the modernist/realist sort of style of the original with its line-art comic book/computer colorist look. :mediocre:

E:

This is much nicer.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 1, 2015

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Don't engage!

Oh poo poo. Is this the true face of SMG?

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
Awww. What was wrong with that av, SMG? I rather liked it myself. Should it have been animated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

second-hand smegma posted:

You pose questions as a response to the highlighting of your faulty comparison. Bay movies are fine if you like disengagement, but a bit haphazard and unremarkable when compared to films that work with their audience rather than above them. DotM is entertaining enough. And yet the two stills you compare (out of context, I might add) couldn't be farther apart in terms of scenic composition. Miller and Bay are not really focused on composing stills for their moving-pictures, they're focused on creating movement as a sensation. Juxtaposing stills from scenes shot in entirely different ways with different purposes accomplishes nothing, unless you're making some point under false pretenses, which would be your bag in my experience. Show me "scenes", actual collections of images that reference each other through composition of movement, from the two movies and then we can talk about what makes Bay's moving compositions less interesting than his peers.

The angle of Starscream is incomprehensible because it is trying (with success) to invoke the POV chaos of a soldier on the ground looking upward at something flailing about wildly, the same way a soldier might look upward at an exploding building launching debris everywhere and loudly proclaim "oh my, this is chaos, this is incomprehensible nonsense! I am small and insignificant. I hope those towers don't fall on me!"

What makes the robot/figure indistinguishable? You should actually be telling me what makes the robot OR the figure distinguishable, since both/neither are the focus of the shot, the camera's movements shifting between the two on the fly as they wrap around each other before a background of heavy lines and angular patches of like color. The only way anything is rendered distinguishable in that particular moment is by cutting away.

You're going about things backwards, beginning with a conclusion about what the shot is 'trying to invoke'. Transformers 3 has soldiers' POV shots, and they don't resemble that.

That's why it is useful to isolate individual shots, or frames of shots - to get at what is actually going on in each part of the full scene. Don't get distracted by plotting.

The image is not 'unfocussed chaos.' It's simply a figure being tossed through the air - a dark shape isolated against a lighter background, located near the centre of a spiral in the composition. The spiral is the main area of visual interest, and in the part of the screen your eye will naturally rest on.

This stuff about Fury Road's compositions all being dead-center is a bit overstated. There's much more variety than that - and understandably, because people's eyes move.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 1, 2015

• Locked thread