Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Saoshyant posted:

gently caress yeah, gaming cellphones.

Good old Taco Phone. Didn't it have the brilliant idea of putting the game cartage slot under the phone battery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I dunno about Android but Nintendo wants to make bringing games to their platform as simple as possible, that was the whole thrust of their HTML5 deal. Linux or Android based doesn't seem that out of the question. They'd still heavily curate their eShop anyway.

We still don't really know if NX is the codename for the actual hardware they're making or if it's a service that will tie-in to their future hardware. All they said was "we're not going mobile-only, we're staying in the console/handheld market."

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Quest For Glory II posted:

They'd still heavily curate their eShop anyway.

Yes, there will never be a Meme Run or six Flippy Bird clones on a Nintendo curated storefront.

I'm pretty sure people are misreading that blurb. Iwata mentioned he wanted a unified OS similar in theory to Android, because they intend to release the same games across all their hardware from now on. DeNA works mostly on Android. People like to jump into conclusions.

In alternative, gently caress yeah, gaming cellphones. Nintendo would never gently caress that up.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
What 3DS games should I play? I just got gamefly so I've been renting games. I recently finished A Link Between Worlds (100% Hero mode, no deaths :smug:) and can't really decide what to play next. I own Fire Emblem: Awakening so anything other than that is fair game.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Kid Icarus: Uprising

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Yes, there will never be a Meme Run or six Flippy Bird clones on a Nintendo curated storefront.
Shrug. I mean I don't even know what lovely games are in Nintendo's eShop because they're buried. Not featured certainly. I don't like the eShop but I can't deny it is good at specifically one thing which is directing people towards buying specifically what Nintendo wants them to buy and pretty much nothing else. (did I mention I don't like eShop???? especially the UI)

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

RickDaedalus posted:

What 3DS games should I play? I just got gamefly so I've been renting games. I recently finished A Link Between Worlds (100% Hero mode, no deaths :smug:) and can't really decide what to play next. I own Fire Emblem: Awakening so anything other than that is fair game.

Mario Golf

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kaethela posted:

City Folk definitely helped your point. That one was such complete garbage.

I can't remember which one it was, but thankfully in one of the Iwata Asks the Animal Crossing team acknowledges this and if we do get another console Animal Crossing it's not just going to be New Leaf on the Wii U.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

RickDaedalus posted:

What 3DS games should I play?

Rhythm Thief, Theatrhythm Curtain Call, Starfox 64, one of the Pokémon games, Mario Kart 7, or Ghost Trick.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Shrug. I mean I don't even know what lovely games are in Nintendo's eShop because they're buried. Not featured certainly. I don't like the eShop but I can't deny it is good at specifically one thing which is directing people towards buying specifically what Nintendo wants them to buy and pretty much nothing else. (did I mention I don't like eShop???? especially the UI)

Meme Run was a staple of warawara plaza until the moment it got pulled (by the creator, not Nintendo).

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

If you bought Meme Run, can you still play it??

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Oh boy STEAM is a shot game. Got it as the second game on buy one get one 50% off best buy deal. After the gcu math it was 12$ . About to trade it in for 20$ to the same best buy.

I thought the enemy ff update would make it fun, but the enemies spawning just take all tactics out of the game and make it one strategy that is not fun for me. Pretty disappointed. About to start xenoblade chronicles with after all the return math came out to 24$ when all is said and done.

The best buy gcu lowest price metagame is pretty fun actually.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 1, 2015

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

The 3DS one is jank, yeah. The WiiU one is pretty decent. It's better than the Playstation store just out of sheer virtue of having an actual search bar you can type whatever in and not crashing all the goddamn time.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Kaubocks posted:

what the gently caress the 3DS is only 4 years old I could have sworn it was way older than that

Yea I was actually really surprised when I looked it up, it felt more like six to me

Especially because there have been four revisions now lol

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Hella late to the party, but god drat Ocarina of Time is a lovely port. Never played it on the N64 and tried to get into it on the Gamecube but it never really clicked.

Started playing it yesterday and I am having just a lovely time. Very much looking forward to Majora's Mask.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Flint_Paper posted:

Hella late to the party, but god drat Ocarina of Time is a lovely port. Never played it on the N64 and tried to get into it on the Gamecube but it never really clicked.

Started playing it yesterday and I am having just a lovely time. Very much looking forward to Majora's Mask.

Majora's Mask is fantastic compared to Ocarina of Time although a select few are polarized about it. Although some of the secret goodies are a tiny bit cryptic at times.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

codenameFANGIO posted:

If you bought Meme Run, can you still play it??

Yeah but the Miiverse page is gone.

The only reason it got pulled was because some guy owns the copyright to the troll face and when he heard people bitching about the game he sent a cease-and-desist notice to the dev. Nintendo didn't do poo poo.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Animal Crossing for the Wii U can work but if it's made as a physical release, I don't think it'll sell well physically. It just doesn't make sense.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Serenes Forest has more detailed information about the FE stuff from the Nintendo Direct than I could ever make.

Like how you can use the FE Smash Amiibos to have Marth, Ike, Robin, and Lucina visit your castle (and who you can then battle to make them join you).

Also, this has to be the manliest Marth I've seen so far.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

noirstronaut posted:

Animal Crossing for the Wii U can work but if it's made as a physical release, I don't think it'll sell well physically. It just doesn't make sense.

Has there been any major Nintendo game recently that's been physical-only? Everything goes up on eshop these days.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

RickDaedalus posted:

Kid Icarus: Uprising and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call.

Edit: Actually don't rent Curtain Call, it's a game you will want to keep forever.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

noirstronaut posted:

What? Like, you don't think they should sell it on disc? They will. :psyduck:

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Theta Zero posted:

Majora's Mask is fantastic compared to Ocarina of Time although a select few are polarized about it. Although some of the secret goodies are a tiny bit cryptic at times.

Having just played through MM for the first time, I'd say it's hardly fair to even compare them. They're both the same base game but the storyline, flow and mechanics are so dramatically different that it'd be understandable for someone to love one but hate the other, without either game actually being bad.

SonnyTheGreat
Jan 19, 2007

Canned Panda posted:

Can I ask wtf you mean by saying a game is opaque?

Sorry, opaque may not have been the right word. I just found that a lot of the underlying mechanics were difficult to understand for me as I don't have any prior Harvest Moon or Rune Factory experience. Things like checking soil quality and getting important tasks done with my allotted stamina per day threw me for a loop and I felt overwhelmed. Fantasy Life was just a little more basic experience for me and I found it easier to grasp, is all. RF4 was excellent through the main story and I def plan to go back to it again, so I hope I didn't put anyone off who has a passing interest.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Theta Zero posted:

I played a bit of Majora's Mask, finished the first two dungeons but I'll have to get back to it because it just wasn't grabbing me. I like the whole groundhog day thing, but it's like there doesn't seem to be anything interesting to do in that timespan and the overworld is still empty and boring just like Ocarina's was. And having to switch to that deku scrub thing every 5 minutes to do some poo poo floating puzzle feels like they took having to change boots in that one Ocarina temple and decided people wanted an entire game of that.

Is this a thing that gets better later on?

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 1, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The overworld as in Termina Field or the whole general world sans dungeons? If it's the former, the place is a lot smaller than usual so there isn't really meant to be much to do there. The latter on the other hand should offer quite a few little nooks and crannies for exploration/quests. I probably don't need to mention this either but talking to the bombers every now and then (generally after completing major events) will more or less tell you what new events are ready for you to initiate/check out and it's completed said events that will flesh out much of the MM world.

E: The game will always ask you to switch masks a lot, yes. Obviously the Forest, Mountain, and Sea dungeons will focus most of their attention on the main masks you get right before them rather than the others but the puzzle structure of most of the game is built around having the transformation masks readily available at a moment's notice.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 1, 2015

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Nintendo Direct out of nowhere!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

thankfully i'm always on the forums

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

New Chibo Robo, if that's a thing people like

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Bravely Second coming over in 2016

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Dr. Mario on June 11.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

What the hell is this LBX stuff? They are making it sound rather big. Am I that out of touch with what the kids are watching if I never heard of it?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Saoshyant posted:

What the hell is this LBX stuff? They are making it sound rather big. Am I that out of touch with what the kids are watching if I never heard of it?

It's the western version of Danball Senki, Level 5's other licence to print money that isn't Youkai Watch.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Artix posted:

Dr. Mario on June 11.

Anyone know if this a full game or eShop title? How does it differ from Dr. Mario express?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hot sauce posted:

Anyone know if this a full game or eShop title? How does it differ from Dr. Mario express?

Considering it's out in just a week, it's going to be an eShop title.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
drat, I was hoping maybe something about DQ8.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

It's the western version of Danball Senki, Level 5's other licence to print money that isn't Youkai Watch.

Is it really that big? Yokai Watch is every-bloody-where in Japan. This one though? Can't even remember games based on the series making much of a dent in the top sales chart.

Well, game didn't look bad at least.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Saoshyant posted:

Is it really that big? Yokai Watch is every-bloody-where in Japan. This one though? Can't even remember games based on the series making much of a dent in the top sales chart.

Well, game didn't look bad at least.

I think the anime and especially model kits are what makes the money for that property.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

hot sauce posted:

It's an eShop game with traditional modes, gimmick modes taken from other versions (Virus Buster, Dr. Luigi) and some new stuff, plus online and local multiplayer with download play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's your surprise Direct summary:

-Chibi Robo: Zip Lash, out in October in NA and November in PAL-land. Amiibo will come bundled with the game in NA. "More info on the amiibo in future." Bundle box shot: http://i.imgur.com/T8jOzo5.png

-Dr. Mario: Miracle Cure (eShop), out June 11 in both regions, can be pre-purchased now in NA

-Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, out winter 2015 in NA, early 2016 in PAL-land

-Mario & Sonic Rio 2016 Olympics (Wii U/3DS); golf is exclusive to 3DS, rugby is exclusive to Wii U. More info "soon"

-Splatoon update #1: new weapon, map and ranked battle mode out today

-Art Academy: Home Studio (Wii U), out June 25 in NA, available for pre-purchase now

-Project Treasure (Wii U), more nothing

-Little Battle Xperience (3DS), Level-5 robot customisation/battle game, out August 21 in NA, "later this year" in PAL-land

-Puzzle & Dragons SMB actually has 16 worlds! Tons of postgame content to be unlocked weekly.

-Bravely Second: End Layer (3DS) out in both regions next year

-E3 plans: they'll be talking about games for Wii U/3DS that are due out this year or in early 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 1, 2015