Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
I'm not a Magic the Gathering nerd so gwent does my head in. Like even the force selection process. Is there a guide to how you play this poo poo anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

my new dog posted:

i just want everyone to be happy and alive

I have some bad news for you regarding the tendency for people to remain happy and alive in The Witcher universe.

They don't.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Never gonna feel bad about siding against child eaters and their peasant worshippers.

Yep. I'm not interested in taking up the cause of someone that wears human ears on a string around their neck.

edit:

Execu-speak posted:

I'm not a Magic the Gathering nerd so gwent does my head in. Like even the force selection process. Is there a guide to how you play this poo poo anywhere?

Solartide is a goon with terrible opinions regarding slavery, but had a useful-to-me write up of how to get into the game earlier in the thread.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...
More crones talk:

Broken Cog posted:

The peasants definitely know, or at least suspect, what happens to the kids they send off, which is why they are so defensive about it if you confront them about it. Also, the spirit isn't actually lying about saving the children

So what happens to the non-orphan kids of Downwarren? Either way you go, kids gon' die.

Lol at goons not knowing the difference between understanding and condoning.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Psiharis posted:

More crones talk:

So what happens to the non-orphan kids of Downwarren? Either way you go, kids gon' die.

Crones chat~

I assume that they aren't completely lost, the witch hunters and baron's men do find the village after the events. It's pretty likely that someone did something about all the newly orphaned kids.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Psiharis posted:

More crones talk:

The choice on what to do with the spirit also (Baron ending spoilers): determines the final outcome of the Baron quest which you wouldn't know unless you've spoiled yourself or played past that part. So I'm pretty sure it's something like

-Tree spirit freed
-Orphans teleported to school in Novigrad
-Village destroyed
-Anna dead, Bloody Baron hangs himself

vs.

-Tree spirit killed
-Orphans eaten
-Village spared
-Crones destroy Anna's mind, Baron takes her to find a healer

Of those, saving the orphans is the only outcome that isn't morally ambiguous.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
To be fair, the main reason I sided with the spirit was because I was hoping it would help me against the Crones. It really is pretty strange that it doesn't show up again.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

New Nvidia driver that's supposed to fix the issue with Kepler Series cards (600, 700, and some 800M) is out:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/85823/en-us

e. Remember to do a "clean installation" to be on the safe side of things.

Archimago fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 1, 2015

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm actually rather upset I never got to go in on the Crones. I was thinking maybe when You go back with the Baron but nope!

In other news. I'm finally done with Novigrad I think and holy poo poo is it worse off than when I showed up. I caused a loving bloodbath everywhere I went and wow.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Execu-speak posted:

There are some youtube videos on how to play it.

The setup is actually simple : You'll be dealt 10 cards at the start (out of the deck you chose) to go 2-3 rounds with (first to two victories wins.) You win a round by laying down more points on your side of the board, which is what the numbers on cards are for. Because your cards in hand are limited, there's a passing on the round ability... so you can end a round without wasting more cards.

Every special rule besides is written right on the cards, but of course they add a lot more to the game.

Spiky Ooze fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 1, 2015

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Back into it. Just got to my first big city:

http://www.twitch.tv/dork_rex

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Execu-speak posted:

In terms of actual card breakdown, generally you want to keep the deck reasonably small; try to stick to the minimum number of unit cards in your deck or 1-3 cards above that to start with, replacing lower values (like Poor loving Infantry or the 1 point siege that buffs other siege) with higher value units as you collect more cards. Priority for special cards should be Decoys (max) > Horns (2) > Scorch (max) >Weather (1-2 depending on opponent). Spies and Medics should always be in your deck regardless of actual unit strength. Villantremeth too (or whatever his name is, the neutral 7-strength dragon) when you get him for his unique Scorch ability. Generally you want to increase unit cards past that soft limit if what you're adding is a strength-10 hero card or a hero card with a unique effect (like yennefer being a medic or dandelion being a front-line horn)

It's often better to think more macro and broad-scope with gwent then a more narrow focus of card breakdown. Mostly because you can never know how your active deck is going to come together until you actually start playing. You need to get accustomed to the idea of playing to lose one of the matches by having your opponent commit more resources then you, or blow their more rare card abilities when it matters less. The biggest advantage you can hold in gwent is a simple numerical deck advantage; if you have 8 cards in your deck and your opponent has 6, you're probably in a good position. To that end, spies are really important to use, especially on a turn you intend to lose. Don't forget that if your opponent plays a spy, you can claim it off your side of the deck with a decoy card, or use it on the next turn with a medic unit. Your opponent can, of course, do the same to you.

When I do a match I open with all my spies early, then start playing my 4 or 5 strength cards while my opponent lays his down on the table. After a ~4 cards, take a look at what's been played and try to think about how the rest of that match is going to hash out. Questions you may want to consider are:

-Has my opponent played a spy that's now on my end? Have they used a weather effect, or scorch?
-Am I playing against a monster or scoia'tel deck and have they used their Muster units for the massive number advantage?
-What special cards do I have? Do I have a scorch that will remove enough points from their side? How about a front-line winter weather to neuter the spies I played on their side and their front line?
-Are there spies played to my side that I can decoy into my deck, and then play onto their side to get more cards while forcing them to play cards of their own?
-If there are no spies, should I push more unit cards out now or start decoying my best units back into my hand for the next round?

Decide how big of a bloodbath you want, or if you even want one at all. Then play the first round to a loss or a win. If it's a win then you're in good shape; if you have a card advantage (and as northern kingdoms, you should) then you can try to force them to blow all their cards on the second round and keep a single unit to take the third round (or win outright in two, if the cards let you). If you lost, then you play the second round for keeps and hope you bled them enough in the first round to ultimately prevail with what you have left. Not every deck is going to be a winner and sometimes you want to tailor your deck to who you're playing if they're giving you trouble.

It takes a bit of practice to get a sense of the big picture for any given match. Your starter deck is totally capable of winning in Velen and Novigrad, and you can buy cards to flesh it out from any innkeeper. Just keep playing and you'll get better.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Execu-speak posted:

Early game deck building: bigger numbers = good.

From your deck, each player draws 10 cards, then take turns putting one card on the table until both players pass. Whoever has the biggest numbers at that point wins the round, with each game being best of 3. Cards with the IngSoc logo double their numbers if there's more than one on the table, cards with the + sign make all cards in that row slightly better, cards with a heart let you play a card that was "killed" by being used in earlier round and cards with an eye symbol lets you draw extra cards when you play them at the cost of adding to enemy numbers instead of yours(these are super useful because the extra stuff you get to play being more powerful than the spy itself). There's also the Decoy card, which you can play on any card on your side of the board and take it back into your hand. This includes enemy spies, which you can then play back at your opponent and get extra cards yourself(always Decoy all incoming spies).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I'm actually rather upset I never got to go in on the Crones. I was thinking maybe when You go back with the Baron but nope!

In other news. I'm finally done with Novigrad I think and holy poo poo is it worse off than when I showed up. I caused a loving bloodbath everywhere I went and wow.

Most of the choice in the Witcher world boils down to whom gets hosed over.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
My fun story is trying to locate the wreck of a ship that is supposed to have treasure on it, only to fire crossbow bolts for a solid 10 minutes straight at infinite respawning Drowners. The surface of the bay was thick with bodies :black101:

Also had the lower half of a Shady Person, those fully robed NPCs in Novigrad, load in, so it looked like just a set of legs and a skirt, and I thought to myself "Is this how Geralt sees women in his world?"

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm trying to hunt down the elf witht he mask in the cave and I ran out of healing items and I have 1 hp and have to fight a giant golem. wtf how do I restore health, is my game hosed?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I'm trying to hunt down the elf witht he mask in the cave and I ran out of healing items and I have 1 hp and have to fight a giant golem. wtf how do I restore health, is my game hosed?

use quen and dodge if you can't meditate and restore your swallow potions

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Meditate?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Super late game spoilers

You do. Ciri gets to fight them and kills two but the third escapes. The bestiary spoils that you fight them because they have weaknesses in it.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
What fun. Trying to fight a big earth elemental named Therezene or whatever. The fight is easy, but the thing has a billion hitpoints and I'm not about to sit here for 45 minutes whittling away at this thing with my sword at 1%.

Damage sponges: Excellent Quest Design.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Meditating doesnt heal and I dont have Swallow

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

What fun. Trying to fight a big earth elemental named Therezene or whatever. The fight is easy, but the thing has a billion hitpoints and I'm not about to sit here for 45 minutes whittling away at this thing with my sword at 1%.

Damage sponges: Excellent Quest Design.

Maybe come back with not poo poo gear/not being underleveled because I did average damage to it and it died easily as any other enemy

edit: also use elementa oil and thunderbolt

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 1, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Use Quen. Golem hits hard but is super slow, so it's more than manageable to beat without taking a hit.

Later parts of the cave is gonna be a problem though, you really should have a swallow potion. I think it should be possible to get back outside though, even if you have to backtrack a bit.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Mr. Unlucky posted:

this game seems to be well made and I kind of want to play it but its just loving embarrassing. like all the people who grew up playing with toys just never stopped doing that and theyre all manchildren now so the new toys that come out need gritty lone wolf protagonists you can live vicariously through and awkward sex scenes that are barely a step above mashing two dolls together and saying NOW KISS!

you can probably rest easy knowing most people who care about that sort of thing think madden and the witcher 3 and all other video games are equal levels of embarrassing children toys

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007
I'm getting really good at killing flying enemies like wyverns and cockatrices. The Shrieker was a motherfucker when I fought it, but these days I'm just killing level 20 fliers in a minute or two.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

edit:nm

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Archimago posted:

New Nvidia driver that's supposed to fix the issue with Kepler Series cards (600, 700, and some 800M) is out:

What issue are we talking about?

Airfoil fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 1, 2015

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ok, the Islands loving RULE!

I'm being treated with some proper god drat respect. I also beat the poo poo out of a Jarl and drank with him to establish my dominance right off. This place owns. I am a God here. All hail Geralt.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fonzarelli posted:

yeah i literally failed the same mission tonight. I wanted to go back to the dwarf and talk to him but there wasn't any mission location marker on the map so I just continued.

It's because Cleaver and Djikstra's methods of dealing with the situation are mutually exclusive. If you did Djikstra's quest you asked around and bluffed your way into a few establishments and found Whoreson Jr. If you did Cleaver's quest you ran around the city kicking in doors and killing everybody you found inside.

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011
One little gripe I have with the game is that there's not that much variety in the NPC models. It's almost like the voice actors in Fallout but with faces. Like the Novigrad fist fighting tournament. I'm pretty sure 2 of the 3 bookies were the exact same character model, just with different voices.

Did I missed a setting somewhere?

Also, with the Gangs of Novigrad quest, you can do half the quest Cleaver's way and he'll pay you half the reward. You won't fail it then.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Airfoil posted:

What issue are we talking about?

General substandard performance in Witcher 3 / other games.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
PC modders mod a pack of smokes rolled up in the cat armor sleeves and you will make me buy a new graphics card and this game on the PC tia.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Meditating doesn't heal on higher difficulties, but it does on normal and below (or whatever normal is called). If you're at the point where you're worried your game might be hosed, drop the difficulty down, meditate to heal back to full, then ratchet it back up.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Meditating doesn't heal on higher difficulties, but it does on normal and below (or whatever normal is called). If you're at the point where you're worried your game might be hosed, drop the difficulty down, meditate to heal back to full, then ratchet it back up.

But...but...think of the cheevos.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Or run off like a wuss and level up some more. Or reload a save from earlier.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
If I don't want to play Gwent, will I lose out on valuable items/quests/story/etc.? Is this like a Triple Triad scenario or is it completely a side thing? It doesn't seem like very much fun to me and I'd rather not lose dozens of hours on it if I don't have to.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

OSheaman posted:

If I don't want to play Gwent, will I lose out on valuable items/quests/story/etc.? Is this like a Triple Triad scenario or is it completely a side thing? It doesn't seem like very much fun to me and I'd rather not lose dozens of hours on it if I don't have to.

You will miss out on Gwent cards if you don't play Gwent. Also the funny faces NPCs make when you ask them if they want to play.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I can't even imagine what the game would be like if I'd never made a Swallow potion. Especially since there's a prologue zone sidequest that teaches you to do it. But work with what you've got, I guess. You start with the recipe and when you make the potion once you're basically set for life, so you'll want to do it.

Also Quen completely negates any damage from one attack while it's active with so it's great against lone monsters that frontload their damage in big single shots. It doesn't help if you've let yourself get surrounded by three separate packs of wolves comboing you to death but there's other signs for that kind of situation. And golems have a combo attack but it's simple to roll away from and is basically the rockdude equivalent of making a windmill with your arms and walking forward.

Things might be tough since you're already in an awkward position, but in higher difficulties (where Meditate isn't a free heal) the game expects you to be prepared with alchemy stuff and how to get the most out of your signs. No matter what build you go with, you're always going to have to use all the tools at your disposal, specific builds just make one or more of those tools even better than they already are. And they already start off pretty vital with the exception being base-level oils.

Like some other goons recommended, you can drop the difficulty down to something you're more comfortable with, backtrack out if you can, or maybe reload from an earlier save and look around for ways to prepare for what's honestly a pretty long and grueling dungeon. Possibly the first serious dungeon in the game. There's a lot of equally rough stuff after the golem, even more if you go to optional branches of the dungeon for loot, so if you're already at your limit you might need to go back and get your preparations in order.

If you haven't been to Oxenfurt yet, you might want to check the place out. It's the town on the island on the east side of Velen on the map, a short ride from Hanged Man's Tree. You need a transit pass (which takes some sidequesting) to get past the bridge, but you can easily swim across the river without a visa and check out the fast-travel signposts there. There's Journeyman-level crafters, an inn, a barber, a message board, and just to the northeast of town in a little hut with a fence you can see on the map is an herbalist who sells alchemical ingredients and the recipes for a lot of grenades and potions.

I was lucky enough to have done a lot of exploring and dicking around before starting up the real plot quests in Velen so I was in a pretty good place, supply-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Did anyone else meet a wyvern near the harpy nest when getting Johnny's voice back? I didn't meet one on my previous time through, but now there's a low level hellbeast there. It was a chump.