Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before
I just cleared the single player campaign and my god the final boss is amazing.

Little Mac posted:

I'm only level 6 and everyone is so much more powerful than me. For a game that's seemingly tailored for casuals and kids, this game is going to die a quick death with both.

The only thing level does is unlock more weapons and higher star clothes, as far as I can see. And even though more stars means more ability slots, people still have to level up the clothes to get those abilities. v:shobon:v But yeah, Bubbler will stall the Kraken and protect you, otherwise you can swim away if you're not in a corner or caught off guard. The Kraken moves slowly compared to normal squid swimming, especially when it jumps (which it needs to do to actually splat an opponent).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
a real splatoon story:

"hmm, it's 7 pm already, maybe I should go to bed early so I can wake up and play more splatoon in the morning.

oh, nevermind, apparently it was actually 7 am"

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

And with my rank 20 firmly in hand, I can stop playing... until tomorrow, when I play single player.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The default splattershot junior+bubbler is legit one of the best weapons in the game, leveling is not really a balance issue.

also you level fast in this game

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Little Mac posted:

I'm only level 6 and everyone is so much more powerful than me. For a game that's seemingly tailored for casuals and kids, this game is going to die a quick death with both.

Had bad luck within 2 days of release, game dead

Relax and keep playing. It's not going to die and it's very fun for playing casually. It sounds like you just hit a rough patch.

Mr. Unlucky posted:

this looks like a fun original take on an old genre and I would like to try it but unfortunately the wii u is a barren hellscape that it not worth buying even years into it :(

what the gently caress nintendo why did you have to be such a special little snowflake with your console designs over and over

This is incredibly wrong. I spend 99% of my time on the PS4 but the Wii U is a great console without many gimmicks at all. The exclusives are all really good.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
But how am I going to win games with an underpowered weapon that's fine at killing, good at coverage, and has a super that makes me basically invincible?

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Drastic Actions posted:

And with my rank 20 firmly in hand, I can stop playing... until tomorrow, when I play single player.

I have been looking all over for someone with a letterman so Spyke can come and steal it off of them. Please tell me it's a real shirt and not an Amiibo shirt.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

pulp rag posted:

I have been looking all over for someone with a letterman so Spyke can come and steal it off of them. Please tell me it's a real shirt and not an Amiibo shirt.

it's not. i stole it off of someone today :getin:

it's three star too

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Is there any way I can use the Wii U Pro Controller to play instead of the Wii U Gamepad?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

cram me sideways posted:

Is there any way I can use the Wii U Pro Controller to play instead of the Wii U Gamepad?

Only for couch co-op. I really hope they patch in support. I would happily give up the gamepad map + jumping to a teammate for that but realistically they could let you jump on the tv somehow.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well
Wow, the English translation in the EU version is so boring compared to the US one. Disappointing, I'd much rather have the US translation.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

IronicDongz posted:

But how am I going to win games with an underpowered weapon that's fine at killing, good at coverage, and has a super that makes me basically invincible?

Yeah this. I moved away from it pretty quick because I'm an idiot, but a friend of mine is taking it as a personal challenge to use the Jr to level 20 and he's doing really well. The bubbler is really stupid and the Jr itself is good. Way better than lots of other random things you get along the way (in Turf War at least).

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

What is this "next available game" nonsense what the hell Nintendo

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Drastic Actions posted:

Nice hat.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Only just picked this up a few hours ago. God drat but this game is good. Mostly played singleplayer so far but I've put a couple multiplayer matches under my belt and it is really quite a lot of fun.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Crasical posted:

Nice hat.

What can I say, I know fashion. :tipshat:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Mr. Unlucky posted:

this looks like a fun original take on an old genre and I would like to try it but unfortunately the wii u is a barren hellscape that it not worth buying even years into it :(

what the gently caress nintendo why did you have to be such a special little snowflake with your console designs over and over

Wii U easily has the best lineup of this generation of consoles.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Spacebump posted:

Wii U easily has the best lineup of this generation of consoles.

Now to be fair that is partially because it has a lineup of games. That being said, it also does have a really good selection of exclusives out for it.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'd like to say I really enjoy splating other goons and God drat did I have some solid rounds tonight

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Only really annoying thing so far is getting killed through walls by people rrom japan. Doesn't happen all the time but maybe 1 out of 5 games.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

pulp rag posted:

I bought this and am in the process of leveling it up for abilities. I think it cost 2000 and the XP progression is gonna take forever.

Also, I've got some shoes with the faster in ink ability, and the two sub-skills are also both faster in ink. I'm not sure how useless they are compared to something with unique abilities.

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010
I can tell this game uses MiiVerse well because I cannot stop drawing stupid little MiiVerse posts. So I did a thing for SpaceDrake:

I'm actually starting to get the hang of drawing on the Gamepad, send help. :ohdear:

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
We should all be posting our outfits of the day. It's the best way to keep up with squid fashion.

I really wanted the red checked shirt ... but it clashes with most of the squid head colors!

(You can take a screenshot of yourself, post it to miiverse, and then pull the picture from miiverse.nintendo.net to post your own squid fashion.)

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Are there any shirts that change color with your hair? I have the Urchins baseball jersey which is black with color-changing pinstripes and it's really nice, but so far the only shirt I've seen that does this.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
I guess I'm missing something or I really hate fun because I am not seeing what you guys see in this game. I mean, it's fun, but not the kind of fun I couldn't find playing any other team-based shooter. I'm waiting for something to click. Waiting for me to go "Oh THAT'S why this is great. THAT'S why this is a unique experience I can't get elsewhere." I got it with Smash and Mario Kart, but not this one.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

cram me sideways posted:

I guess I'm missing something or I really hate fun because I am not seeing what you guys see in this game. I mean, it's fun, but not the kind of fun I couldn't find playing any other team-based shooter. I'm waiting for something to click. Waiting for me to go "Oh THAT'S why this is great. THAT'S why this is a unique experience I can't get elsewhere." I got it with Smash and Mario Kart, but not this one.

The movement is very cool, the game looks amazing, the mechanics are new and interesting, there's a huge variety in the types of weapons you can use, and the setting kicks rear end.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's like, when you shoot on the ground and it covers it in ink and that gives you weird options for attack and escape and you have these little back and forth battles with people around cover trying to get ink in good spots so you can approach well and they're trying to do the same

it's a really loving good game and the ink/squid system makes basically any fight really interesting

e:

buyable hairstyles when

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 1, 2015

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Bean posted:

We should all be posting our outfits of the day. It's the best way to keep up with squid fashion.

I really wanted the red checked shirt ... but it clashes with most of the squid head colors!

(You can take a screenshot of yourself, post it to miiverse, and then pull the picture from miiverse.nintendo.net to post your own squid fashion.)

Splatoon: You Look Like Squid

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Black Mage Knight posted:

Now to be fair that is partially because it has a lineup of games. That being said, it also does have a really good selection of exclusives out for it.

It also has the plus side of ONLY having 1 hd edition/remaster on it to the tune of Wind Waker which seeing as it was last on the gamecube actually made sense. 2 if you count Deus Ex I suppose.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Do abilities on gear stack? Like if I have ink saver (main) on two pieces of gear, do I get the benefit stacked?

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

It's like, when you shoot on the ground and it covers it in ink and that gives you weird options for attack and escape and you have these little back and forth battles with people around cover trying to get ink in good spots so you can approach well and they're trying to do the same

This is one of my favorite things, and I've started to find that in a lot of cases, if you're willing to swim a bit of their ink to get at them, It's quite often enough to tip the scales, because people just don't expect you to do it(and the detriment for landing in their ink isn't enough to offset having the initiative).

cram me sideways posted:

For me, the moment when I really got it was when I first really understood the movement system well enough to lay down some ink, swim-dodge a charge shot, swim straight up a wall and pop out of squid form at the top to splat the sniper. It's not just the motion, or the ink mechanic, but how seamlessly and quickly it all works together with some practice.

Zizi fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 1, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Wildtortilla posted:

Do abilities on gear stack? Like if I have ink saver (main) on two pieces of gear, do I get the benefit stacked?
Yes, but there is diminishing returns(according to the game, I don't think anyone knows how diminished yet).

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

Wildtortilla posted:

Yes, but there are diminishing returns.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Got to level 15, got the custom squelcher, was promptly disappointed because it felt super weak. I mean, I'm willing to chalk up me just being a bad, but whenever I use a low firing rate weapon I feel so ineffective. Not really in combat so much as because I can't spread ink nearly as fast which is really important. I haven't found a weapon that has really clicked with me yet either.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I didn't like the squelchers until I got the dual squelcher, which I like a lot.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

Yes, but there is diminishing returns(according to the game, I don't think anyone knows how diminished yet).
In the firing range there are dummies with 0, 1, 2, and 3 defense stickers on them, and if you shoot each of them and look at your damage numbers it seems like each extra ability is half as effective as the last.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Got to level 15, got the custom squelcher, was promptly disappointed because it felt super weak. I mean, I'm willing to chalk up me just being a bad, but whenever I use a low firing rate weapon I feel so ineffective. Not really in combat so much as because I can't spread ink nearly as fast which is really important. I haven't found a weapon that has really clicked with me yet either.

The single-shot weapons are not really balanced for getting points in the only game mode they have right now. I tried really hard to make the Blaster work but just 30 minutes with the Splattershot Jr. saw bigger returns than in the entire weekend. I'm guessing they'll either get tuned up or they'll shine in another game mode, but right now the only real objective is covering the map with paint and the weapons that put out the most paint invariably do the best.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So I set up the roller with kraken for online since my cousins and I are playing in turns and I figured that weapon would be easy enough for them to use. I get bummed how people will blame me over the team loss when they play, but when it was my turn it sorta super clicked for me. Playing defensively is so awesome and any time you get a legit kill with the roller is because you were a loving coward ambusher and it's awesome.

The last match we won by a ton because when they were bringing it back in the last seconds of the oil rig map, they were taking over the bottom bit, i swam over them and just dropped with the roller active to kill the guy there, remained in place and ran over a dude that superjumped and used the last ten seconds to undo all their hopes and dreams. :getin: k

This game's greatest feature is that too many of the weapons are fun in wholly different ways.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Reiley posted:

The single-shot weapons are not really balanced for getting points in the only game mode they have right now. I tried really hard to make the Blaster work but just 30 minutes with the Splattershot Jr. saw bigger returns than in the entire weekend. I'm guessing they'll either get tuned up or they'll shine in another game mode, but right now the only real objective is covering the map with paint and the weapons that put out the most paint invariably do the best.

Weapons that specialize in splatting may have a niche, even in Turf War, but only really once lobbies come out. Right now queueing with a Blaster is basically praying that your teammates are all using weapons designed for painting. Some classes in TF2 are pretty miserable at completing objectives (poor mobility, low HP, etc.) but still have uses on your team since keeping the opponent dead facilitates completing objectives. Thing is, you still need those people completing the actual objective and when you can't control that it's a gamble. It also stings less to know that you're sacrificing Your Precious Scorepoints if it's for the benefit of your friends who are all e-highfiving after winning thanks to your sick frags rather than some internet strangers.

Naturally this all assumes that you wanna be a pro-squid #1 powergamer but I mean we're discussing strategy so that's sorta the baseline here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Oh and the fact that some of the best weapons for painting are perfectly fine for splatting, but, well,

• Locked thread