Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
What kind of name is Blueboy Lugos? His father really earned his name.

I just love how some quests can escalate.
It started out as a simple kill-the-wraith quest. Then some drunkards shanked the quest giver and I was sent to viking prison for blowing them up with grapeshot. But all is well, I ended the day by going on a vision quest with Blueboy Lugos!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

His is called Blueboy because as a child he always used to be covered in bruises from getting into fights with his mates and/or getting the poo poo beaten out of him by his dad.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Popelmon posted:

What kind of name is Blueboy Lugos? His father really earned his name.

I just love how some quests can escalate.
It started out as a simple kill-the-wraith quest. Then some drunkards shanked the quest giver and I was sent to viking prison for blowing them up with grapeshot. But all is well, I ended the day by going on a vision quest with Blueboy Lugos!

I came across Blueboy earlier and helped him on the spot. His dad let me outta jail immediately.

Also, asking Lugo Sr. about his name is great. :allears:

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Broose posted:

Did anyone else meet a wyvern near the harpy nest when getting Johnny's voice back? I didn't meet one on my previous time through, but now there's a low level hellbeast there. It was a chump.

Yeah, it scared the gently caress out of me then died like a bitch.

I just made the hardest ever quick choice I've had to do.

Ceryes/baby spoilers I threw a baby in the over I am the devil. Logically I knew it wouldn't die somehow since you can't actually do the thing, but the spur of the moment cutscene surprised me and I almost didn't do it.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Ceryes/baby spoilers I threw a baby in the over I am the devil. Logically I knew it wouldn't die somehow since you can't actually do the thing, but the spur of the moment cutscene surprised me and I almost didn't do it.

I didn't even hesitate, that was the choice I've always wanted to make.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In regards to the Crones the spirit at least seemed like it acted without malice. It killed people but in the indifferent way that nature kills people (destroying Downwarren being the exception.) While the Crones were actively cruel.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I neglected doing any gwent and I'm level 16 now and I kinda want to. Will I be able to go back to like southern velen and fight weak guys to build up my deck?

I had to do some gwent for a main quest in Novigrad and I couldn't win, so I just started a fight and killed everybody and continued the quest that way instead.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

how to win at gwent:
1. buy spy cards at shops. as many as you can.
2. play all the spy cards in round one so the computer burns his hand down to like 2 cards and you have like 20
3. win the next two rounds

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

OSheaman posted:

If I don't want to play Gwent, will I lose out on valuable items/quests/story/etc.? Is this like a Triple Triad scenario or is it completely a side thing? It doesn't seem like very much fun to me and I'd rather not lose dozens of hours on it if I don't have to.

I haven't finished the game yet, but you will miss out on high stakes gwent and the quest related to it. Which involves winning like 9000 novigradi crowns (I think? It's a lot of gold anyways,) going on a crime investigation adventure, punching out a half-elf, and sexing a woman.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I assume most people will already know this but there's a merchant in Novigrad who sells seashells and shells in multiples, both of which can be dismantled into pearls which sell for a large amount.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i missed hanged mans venom somehow. is there a guaranteed location for the recipe?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I think this game sort of sucks to be quite honest

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

I assume most people will already know this but there's a merchant in Novigrad who sells seashells and shells in multiples, both of which can be dismantled into pearls which sell for a large amount.

Got a screenshot?

What level is Enchanced Feline Armor?

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

:frogout:

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Yeah, it scared the gently caress out of me then died like a bitch.

It's funny how the ghost leaves you because you lol tricked it, but in fact you still murdered several of the father's guards... the ghost should have been like "nice try, you're mine now fucker"

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Fonzarelli posted:

I neglected doing any gwent and I'm level 16 now and I kinda want to. Will I be able to go back to like southern velen and fight weak guys to build up my deck?

I had to do some gwent for a main quest in Novigrad and I couldn't win, so I just started a fight and killed everybody and continued the quest that way instead.

I'm pretty sure gwent just cheats and the people you play are always at your deck level.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Going for a strong opening round, getting a pass from the computer, and then playing spies in the second round where the computer can't pass is also a good way to win.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Vehementi posted:

It's funny how the ghost leaves you because you lol tricked it, but in fact you still murdered several of the father's guards... the ghost should have been like "nice try, you're mine now fucker"

My favorite part of that was before he draws his sword Geralt cast Quen. It's great how characters are so not retarded in cutscenes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Vehementi posted:

I'm pretty sure gwent just cheats and the people you play are always at your deck level.

The random inkeep I beat 100 to 20 doesn't agree.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vehementi posted:

That's the one thing in that mission that made zero sense plot wise, it was completely unnecessary.

Edit - Think I'm gonna do another playthrough but go for the good ending and opposite outcomes I had made previously, except for helping the Trolls when you have the opportunity to. They're the best :allears:.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Vehementi posted:

Everybody has all of these level 10 cards and stuff and I just don't have anything close to that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

good luck and have fun out there

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Unfunny Poster posted:

That's the one thing in that mission that made zero sense plot wise, it was completely unnecessary.

Not really, you have to feel real guilt for it to latch onto you. Geralt felt guilt for "killing" the baby, but not for guards #3,481-3,484 that he happened to kill after they attacked him first. Also there are times when you can kill an enemy but they come back to life for the cutscene afterwards so they might not be dead by the story's logic.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Got a screenshot?

Nope, but hes near the marker to Hierarch square, has an orange hat with a feather on it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Watching GOT tonight, my friend announced "It's the Witcher! You are hosed Jon Snow!" :haw:

...it did really look like a withered raisin Geralt though. It even wore his kind of armor. :stare:

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

turtlecrunch posted:

Watching GOT tonight, my friend announced "It's the Witcher! You are hosed Jon Snow!" :haw:

...it did really look like a withered raisin Geralt though. It even wore his kind of armor. :stare:

You can find the blueprint for Jon Snow's sword in the game, I think it's in Skellige.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So I just fought the Woodland Spirit at the recommended level for the quest. And holy poo poo do Ancient Leshens not gently caress around. :stare:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Calaveron posted:

PC modders mod a pack of smokes rolled up in the cat armor sleeves and you will make me buy a new graphics card and this game on the PC tia.

Yeah I was so stoked to get to level 14 and use the cat gear so I could be an awesome ninja assassinwife-beating greaser.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Jesus christ. I'm like 30 hours plus in.. I JUST got to Novigrad. There are level 2 quests here, and scrub fuckers who destroy my no-longer-awesome Gwent deck.

I ran into my first quest that used gwent and that was pretty awesome.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Memento posted:

Yeah I was so stoked to get to level 14 and use the cat gear so I could be an awesome ninja assassinwife-beating greaser.

When you upgrade it the chestpiece turns into a tactical turtleneck. :parrot:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

You can find the blueprint for Jon Snow's sword in the game, I think it's in Skellige.

Nice, I'll make that my project when I get there.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Where can you get more spy cards? I've got 1 each of Siggy and Prince Stennis but can I get more?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ragingsheep posted:

Where can you get more spy cards? I've got 1 each of Siggy and Prince Stennis but can I get more?
Yeah, I really want Thaler around too.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

Philthy posted:

Jesus christ. I'm like 30 hours plus in.. I JUST got to Novigrad. There are level 2 quests here, and scrub fuckers who destroy my no-longer-awesome Gwent deck.

I ran into my first quest that used gwent and that was pretty awesome.

Level 2 quests? Really? Why put a quest that is so below your level that far in the game? can you even bee line for that quest after leaving White Orchard?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, I really want Thaler around too.

Thaler and the Mysterious Elf are in Skellige, the former from an inkeep and the latter as part of the Skellige Gwent chain. Nilfgaard's spies are all random drops that you can get anywhere by just beating up everyone you meet at card games. The ridiculous Nilfgaard ability that lets you put a card in your hand from the enemy graveyard is won as part of the Gwent Tournament, and Northern Realms is still perfectly competitive with Nilfgaard until that's an option.

Arglebargle III posted:

Going for a strong opening round, getting a pass from the computer, and then playing spies in the second round where the computer can't pass is also a good way to win.

Best 'tactic;: spend your entire opening round throwing high-value Nilfgaard spies at the enemy and decoying their own spies back to them. Eventually the computer decides that Skellen and friends have it in the bag and passes, then you drop frost + some random 10 strength card and win the first round while still having like twice as many cards in hand as the computer.

I also enjoy the matches where you spend the first two turns trading spies and passing with each other and then both players go into the third round with 11+ cards in hand.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Some of the level recommendations are super hosed up. The Skellige lead-in quest is like lv16 but the quests immediately after are a lower level and there are far lower-level quests available in Skellige proper despite the fact that the game is suggesting you ought to be lv16 to go there (which isn't even remotely true).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nakar posted:

Some of the level recommendations are super hosed up. The Skellige lead-in quest is like lv16 but the quests immediately after are a lower level and there are far lower-level quests available in Skellige proper despite the fact that the game is suggesting you ought to be lv16 to go there (which isn't even remotely true).

I think with the Skellige one in particular it's because the islands are in general a much higher level than Velen or Novigrad. If you go in at about the minimum level requirement for the Skellige quest to be green, you'd be around level 12 and thus on par with the lowest level stuff available on the islands.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Man I just got to novigrad and I can't believe I only just figured out that holding attack on horseback initiates a slow mo mode and that secondary quen shoots down arrows.

Also I'm kind of disappointed in myself for switching off death march during the mission (early Velen story) to chase Ciri to the elven mage's hideout with Keira since I mostly kick everything's rear end now that I'm not 5+ levels below everything anymore.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

DoctorStrangelove posted:

And there's a derelict castle on a Skellige Island that has sky cells and in one of them is a dead dwarf that looks suspiciously like Tyrion Lannister!

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

Magni posted:

So I just fought the Woodland Spirit at the recommended level for the quest. And holy poo poo do Ancient Leshens not gently caress around. :stare:

I had trouble with that too. I buggered off, fought a normal one for a separate thing, gained a level somewhere along the way and came back and ruined his poo poo. It's those loving birds mostly. Use Quen liberally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

gently caress's sake. I can't beat this first guy in the Passiflora tournament. He seems to have every single spy and every single way to resummon them.