Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

It is from Theros block (I think JIN?) and was a tolerable role-filler in draft then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

It is from Theros block (I think JIN?) and was a tolerable role-filler in draft then.

Yeah makes sense to me. Okay thing on which to pile bestows or maybe just the guy you have around to deal 2 damage a turn with evasion and threaten x/2s on the defense.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

That card will go great in my mediocre draft reprints tiny leaders deck

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

there's pretty much always an archetype that wants a 2 power flyer for 3, unless there's like a common pinger or they reprint concordia pegasus or something that guy is fine.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I give up on guessing whether or not these "slips" are intentional or not, I'm just going to enjoy that they happen before almost every set.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

honestly the only interesting thing about the eagle spoiler(if it's real) is that the collector number is 275/272 so it's probably in the gideon theme deck.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

honestly the only interesting thing about the eagle spoiler(if it's real) is that the collector number is 275/272 so it's probably in the gideon theme deck.

Oh I didn't even notice that. Maybe this is one of those learn to play deck things where it's not in the set, but it's going to be Standard legal anyway.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

HotBobaloo posted:

Anyone have any opinions on U/R Twin vs. Grixis Twin? Have the cards for both, but not sure which to build.
Which format? I like grixis in legacy because Cabal Therapy is fun times.

whydirt posted:

The thing a lot of people who try to ape Hunter Thompson seem to not realize is that he wrote straight journalism stories for years before developing his trademark gonzo style and persona. CML's writing reads like someone who wants to break away from rules and traditions of writing without actually understanding them.
The point of gonzo was that being objective was being a liar. Nixon could never be accurately described from a "both sides are valid" perspective. It doesn't mean journalism done on drugs, that was HST interjecting himself into the story as gonzo does.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Which format? I like grixis in legacy because Cabal Therapy is fun times.

The point of gonzo was that being objective was being a liar. Nixon could never be accurately described from a "both sides are valid" perspective. It doesn't mean journalism done on drugs, that was HST interjecting himself into the story as gonzo does.

Twin isn't a thing in Legacy so I'm sure he means Modern. Grixis Twin is a thing in Modern now.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Pascal Maynard oepend a pack 2 Foil Goyf in his top 8 draft when he's in R/W double strike.

He took it.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
So, here's the situation:

It's the top 8 of a Grand Prix, and you're drafting an aggressive R/W deck. You open your second pack, and there are two cards that pique your interest:

Burst Lightning
Foil Tarmogoyf.

What do you do?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Rare drafting in the Top 8 of a GP.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Pascal Maynard oepend a pack 2 Foil Goyf in his top 8 draft when he's in R/W double strike.

He took it.

Good. It was the smart pick.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Keep in mind that the winner of the GP only gets $4000.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Niton posted:

So, here's the situation:

It's the top 8 of a Grand Prix, and you're drafting an aggressive R/W deck. You open your second pack, and there are two cards that pique your interest:

Burst Lightning
Foil Tarmogoyf.

What do you do?

Foil Goyf every time and smile for the camera if it's there.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I love how the chat is convinced RW Equipment is awful because, of course, LSV said so.

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug
Doesn't the GP stamp make it Heavily Played though?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Boco_T posted:

And the top8 stamp makes it THE foil goyf.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

pctD posted:

Doesn't the GP stamp make it Heavily Played though?

For a normal card, yeah. For that Goyf? It's one of a kind, with a ridiculous story attached. It's one of the most unique cards ever pulled from a booster. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see it get valued at 4 digits, even if Pascal never sells it.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Boco_T posted:

Compared to $1000 for 5-8. If you get $300 for your foil goyf, that's 30% more prize money, and probably close to 50% once you consider taxes :v:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Snap take the Goyf. Trade it for a MMA foil to finish my playset.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Definitely take the goyf, anyone who says different doesn't work for a living

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Twin isn't a thing in Legacy so I'm sure he means Modern. Grixis Twin is a thing in Modern now.
Whoops. My brain said delver. What you say is true.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The only people who are saying it was a bad take are Huey and Owen on Twitter, lmao.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Boco_T posted:

The only people who are saying it was a bad take are Huey and Owen on Twitter, lmao.

I've only seen the one tweet from Owen but isn't he joking?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Pascal Maynard just died to Burst Lightning game 1

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I honestly can't think of a reason to give him the benefit of the doubt in a situation where people might have dumb opinions about "proper" main event conduct

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AgentSythe posted:

Pascal Maynard just died to Burst Lightning game 1

All he needs to do is beat down with the foil Goyf he clearly just splashed for and the cycle will be complete.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

All he needs to do is beat down with the foil Goyf he clearly just splashed for and the cycle will be complete.

I've been talking to myself about Naya Doublestrike Equipment all week

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

BJPaskoff posted:

Oh I didn't even notice that. Maybe this is one of those learn to play deck things where it's not in the set, but it's going to be Standard legal anyway.

The fact that it has reminder text for flying and vigilance makes me think that this is what it is.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Angry Grimace posted:

I love how the chat is convinced RW Equipment is awful because, of course, LSV said so.

I don't think I've heard this before, could you elaborate

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

Sure. You see, *farting noise, forever*

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

rabidsquid posted:

He said it was "difficult to put together" or something similar on LR when they did the review. He also apparently noted at some point that when he says X is good and don't draft Y that X is attempted by too many ppl and that Y becomes more open and usually for the better.

It sounds true and It's like ppl forget that he is lsv and can kick a pile of draft leavings through some gravel and come out with something that will beat your FNM deck more often than not.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

PleasantDirge posted:

He said it was "difficult to put together" or something similar on LR when they did the review. He also apparently noted at some point that when he says X is good and don't draft Y that X is attempted by too many ppl and that Y becomes more open and usually for the better.

It sounds true and It's like ppl forget that he is lsv and can kick a pile of draft leavings through some gravel and come out with something that will beat your FNM deck more often than not.

I just found it funny that the chat actually cited that specific reason after this thread suggested that was why people hate the archetype.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

The only better story than picking a foil Tarmogoyf in top 8 would be getting passed a foil Tarmogoyf in top 8.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Taking a foil Goyf is guaranteeing at least a 10% boost to your prize winnings in exchange for 1 draft pick. Smart move.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I didn't even realize the prize pool at a ridiculously huge tournament was so tiny. Yeah, I'd take the drat Goyf too.

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's the only thing that makes sense since both of those comments are way over the top for rare drafting that card.

Also, tomorrow Maro's article is supposedly going to either explain or reference the overhaul to evergreen mechanics (I guess starting with Origins?)

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 1, 2015

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, MM15 drafting on MODO has to be to date my worst decision yet. All your cards are worth poo poo and god forbid you draft UG because the client will take a million loving years to go through your graft triggers any time anyone resolves a creature. I haven't accidentally given an opponent a +1/+1 counter yet!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Auto-yields are your friend when playing anything trigger-happy on modo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Four Score posted:

Okay, MM15 drafting on MODO has to be to date my worst decision yet. All your cards are worth poo poo and god forbid you draft UG because the client will take a million loving years to go through your graft triggers any time anyone resolves a creature. I haven't accidentally given an opponent a +1/+1 counter yet!

On the plus side, I bought 2 Iona, 2 Elesh, and one of each of the Eldrazi Titans for like $13.

• Locked thread