Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

that doesn't contradict what he said

basically right now microsoft is switching to a policy of, essentially, "every computer must have either a pro or home windows license of its own, but we don't really care what actual core windows version anymore"

maybe this means someone with physical non-oem copies of windows 7 (an equal number of copies for the number of computers the person owns) will never have to pay for windows again? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Everything runs in a window

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

univbee posted:

that doesn't contradict what he said

basically right now microsoft is switching to a policy of, essentially, "every computer must have either a pro or home windows license of its own, but we don't really care what actual core windows version anymore"

maybe this means someone with physical non-oem copies of windows 7 (an equal number of copies for the number of computers the person owns) will never have to pay for windows again? :shrug:

yeah I know, my point of posting that though it makes it a little suspect regarding the expectation for MS to grant amnesty to pirates (or provide an extremely cheap upgrade) - after all personal OEM builders are the ones most likely to be adept enough to just pirate a copy of Win7 then upgrade that for $10 instead of paying $100 for a copy

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

anthonypants posted:

Everything runs in a window
after 20 years, it's about drat time

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lol $149 for an os

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Stymie posted:

i've had this happen before, it's showing the login menu on a different screen

i'm developed a habit of hitting win+↔ whenever a window doesn't show up just to check for this poo poo

sometimes windows will apply multiscreen settings to dialog boxes and not the parent program, so occasionally applications will stop accepting input because there's a modal on another screen

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Snapchat A Titty posted:

those icons look like what youd scroll past while looking at kaleidoscope themes in 1998
i object, kaleidoscope themes were way cooler

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Stymie posted:

i've had this happen before, it's showing the login menu on a different screen

since i only have one screen how do i change this

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

try holding win and hitting either left or right to see if you can shift the login screen back to the main screen

or, try pressing win+p to bring up the connected monitor options and set it to 'pc screen only' or equivalent

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

lol $149 for an os

lol windows 7 is never going to die and it will still be the most used windows 10 years from now

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol uninstalled office 2013 and put on the 2016 preview, outlook was missing with just an old icon. look in add/remove programs, it says outlook is installed as part of the office package. click on the 2013 icon on whim, 2016 launched. good jorb.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

this thread is as good a place as any to keep this from getting lost
code:
#Requires -RunAsAdministrator

$crap = "Microsoft.3DBuilder", "Microsoft.BingFinance", "Microsoft.BingNews", "Microsoft.BingSports",
        "Microsoft.BingWeather", "Microsoft.Getstarted", "Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollectionPreview",
        "Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection", "Microsoft.Office.OneNote", "Microsoft.People", "Microsoft.Reader",
        "Microsoft.Windows.Photos", "Microsoft.WindowsAlarms", "Microsoft.WindowsCalculator", "Microsoft.WindowsCamera",
        "microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps", "Microsoft.WindowsMaps", "Microsoft.WindowsReadingList",
        "Microsoft.WindowsScan", "Microsoft.WindowsSoundRecorder", "Microsoft.XboxApp", "Microsoft.ZuneMusic",
        "Microsoft.ZuneVideo"

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Where {$crap -Contains $_.Name} | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Where {$crap -Contains $_.DisplayName} | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What are the preorder bonuses for windows 10

pseudorandom name posted:

code:
$crabbiestCJever = 
        "Microsoft.BingWeather",
        "Microsoft.Office.OneNote",
        "Microsoft.WindowsAlarms",
        "Microsoft.WindowsCalculator",
        "Microsoft.WindowsMaps", 
        "Microsoft.WindowsSoundRecorder"

lmao why even remove those

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
oh my god this guy still exists http://www.gofundme.com/blackviper-com?utm_medium=wdgt

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

A Yolo Wizard posted:

What are the preorder bonuses for windows 10

lmao why even remove those

i think that's the full screen metro calculator not the regular windows calculator fwiw

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Blue Train posted:

i think that's the full screen metro calculator not the regular windows calculator fwiw

yes im aware those are all windows 8/8.1/10 apps and not the win32 applications

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

holy loving poo poo lmao

i wanted to quote highlights but really just read the whole thing. guy has pissed away thousands of dollars on hosting his "windows optimization" site, and despite being relatively well known and getting decent traffic he has barely attempted to monetize the drat thing, and even continued to pour money into it while unemployed or working poo poo jobs

pram
Jun 10, 2001

quote:

In order for me to have legal access to all Microsoft OS's for me to do my testing, an MSDN subscription costs ~$700 a year.

quote:

I have paid my hosting provider a sum of $105 a month/$1260 a year to keep the domain up and running with high up time and massive bandwidth availability.

he sounds retarded

quote:

In October 2014, I decided to purchase an SSL certificate to allow website visitors to login using the verified and secure method of HTTPS. The certificate is $400 a year.

$400 ssl cert?? lmfao windows janitors are dumb as hell

pram
Jun 10, 2001
imagine his hosting company selling this rube a $400 ssl certificate. lmao.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

too busy optimizing Windows to optimize his Internets, a buffoon.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

$400 better be a wildcard at least

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it isnt. its a shared cert. for more information please see this post:

pram posted:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

pram posted:

and this is how he optimizes windows to handle ssl

code:
Starting Nmap 6.47 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2015-05-31 15:44 MDT
Nmap scan report for www.blackviper.com (192.232.230.194)
Host is up (0.043s latency).
rDNS record for 192.232.230.194: clm.clmsmediapublishing.com
PORT    STATE SERVICE
443/tcp open  https
| ssl-enum-ciphers: 
|   SSLv3: 
|     ciphers: 
|       TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA - strong
|       TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA - strong
|       TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA - strong
|       TLS_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA - strong
|       TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA - strong
|       TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA - strong
|       TLS_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_MD5 - strong
|       TLS_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_SHA - strong
|     compressors: 
|       NULL
|   TLSv1.0: 
|     ciphers: 
|     compressors: 
|       NULL
|_  least strength: strong
yea, that's right - RC4 on SSLv3, y'all. at least there's not export ciphers in there.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

disable COM+ Event System service to save 100kb of RAM

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

pram posted:

won't the EFF give you an SSL certificate for free? lmao

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Sniep posted:

yea, that's right - RC4 on SSLv3, y'all. at least there's not export ciphers in there.

Also, I thought TLS 1.0 was in the bad list, so why is nmap listing it as strong?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Sniep posted:

and this is how he optimizes windows to handle ssl

code:
Starting Nmap 6.47 ( [url]http://nmap.org[/url] ) at 2015-05-31 15:44 MDT
Nmap scan report for [url]www.blackviper.com[/url] (192.232.230.194)
Host is up (0.043s latency).
rDNS record for 192.232.230.194: clm.clmsmediapublishing.com
PORT    STATE SERVICE
443/tcp open  https
| ssl-enum-ciphers: 
|   SSLv3: 
|     ciphers: 
|     compressors: 
|       NULL
|   TLSv1.0: 
|     ciphers: 
|     compressors: 
|       NULL
|_  least strength: strong

lmbo 3des over aes

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

MrMoo posted:

Also, I thought TLS 1.0 was in the bad list, so why is nmap listing it as strong?

TLS 1 is still fine but the low hanging fruit, SSL3 was broken earlier this year. everything should be supporting 1.2 now so you don't get caught with your pants down when its time to drop 1.0

e: I take that back, PCI is saying no TLS1.0 now

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 31, 2015

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

holding out for TLS 2

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

MrMoo posted:

so why is nmap listing it as strong?

don't trust any of that guy's valuations of what's "strong" or not, it's just a random nmap script that happens to be really handy but dont take the editorial content at face value which is from years ago

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lmbo 3des over aes

oh also that dumb script doesnt order them by server preference it's just hammering to test them in a list and shows which ones hit. it's real hacky and i hope hte guy improves it

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
welp,

this just started showing up on my win 7 machine today

I assume it was from the update that was discussed a while back. it showed up as a taskbar icon

the end is nigh

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

TerminalRaptor posted:

welp,

this just started showing up on my win 7 machine today

I assume it was from the update that was discussed a while back. it showed up as a taskbar icon

the end is nigh

Can't wait!! :woop:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
i wonder how pissed off people will be when they find out they can't downgrade back to 7 or xp. at that point you just go out and buy a mac

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
is windows 10 the touchscreen thing that isn't backwards compatible with 7/8?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If you honestly explicitly chose (or i guess like to click things without thinking during setup) to have Microsoft automatically install non essential updates on either windows 7 or 8 you probably are the target audience for being informed about windows 10.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

please don't make fun of non-technical women and children

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i didn't install any optional updates and it showed up for me too. it's KB2999226 which is marked important and has no knowledge base page? loving microsoft

e: okay, it's KB3035583, "additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications". uninstall that, crisis averted. or just kill GWX.exe

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 1, 2015

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MrMoo posted:

you're asking about tls 1.0 instead of "TLS_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_MD5 - strong"

A Yolo Wizard posted:

If you honestly explicitly chose (or i guess like to click things without thinking during setup) to have Microsoft automatically install non essential updates on either windows 7 or 8 you probably are the target audience for being informed about windows 10.
also this, lol if you installed that windows update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

i didn't install any optional updates and it showed up for me too. it's KB2999226 which is marked important and has no knowledge base page? loving microsoft

e: okay, it's KB3035583, "additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications". uninstall that, crisis averted. or just kill GWX.exe

KB3035583 is listed as recommended, and will only automatically download and install if "give me recommended updates" was chosen during the initial windows 7 setup (you can turn it off under change settings under windows update)

• Locked thread