Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Magni posted:

So I just fought the Woodland Spirit at the recommended level for the quest. And holy poo poo do Ancient Leshens not gently caress around. :stare:

Love the model though. And the whole "disappear behind one tree, reappear behind another' was pretty badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

I assume most people will already know this but there's a merchant in Novigrad who sells seashells and shells in multiples, both of which can be dismantled into pearls which sell for a large amount.

Dont forget the enterprising bums that sell broken bottles by the hundred.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I'm actually intentionally looking for merchants and smiths to play gwent with now so I can get all of the random cards, I'm still missing Villentretenmerth, Zoltan, and Philippa but apparently there's a million low power elves and monsters that it's gonna give me first. It's starting to get hard to remember who I've already been to.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

do you ever find out where gwent cards come from?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
god drat eye for an eye quest has been bugged and now im at the point where i need to do it really to progress

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Level 2 quests? Really? Why put a quest that is so below your level that far in the game? can you even bee line for that quest after leaving White Orchard?

You can go to Novigrad and Skellige as soon as you get out of White Orchard.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Big spoiler for the end of Triss's Novigrad arc:

Ahahahahaha. A plot to assassinate a king is a SIDE quest? Witcher 3 really just never stops delivering.

I am absolutely loving Djikstra's character. He's extremely well written.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Toadsmash posted:

I am absolutely loving Djikstra's character. He's extremely well written.

Seconded on that guy. I didnt even remember the fucker from previous games, and he's well written enough that I felt guilty about that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

Seconded on that guy. I didnt even remember the fucker from previous games, and he's well written enough that I felt guilty about that.

That's because he isn't in them. He's from the books.

He's really good in this game, I agree. Except for the part at the very end of his quest line where he betrays Roche and Thaler and tries to have them killed. That part seemed poorly justified to me, though his line about always being cast as a halberdier in the play was funny.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Eonwe posted:

god drat eye for an eye quest has been bugged and now im at the point where i need to do it really to progress

Supposedly that's being fixed in the upcoming patch.

sixteenstraws
May 7, 2009

slave to a label but I own my masters

Pellisworth posted:

The choice on what to do with the spirit also (Baron ending spoilers): determines the final outcome of the Baron quest which you wouldn't know unless you've spoiled yourself or played past that part. So I'm pretty sure it's something like

-Tree spirit freed
-Orphans teleported to school in Novigrad
-Village destroyed
-Anna dead, Bloody Baron hangs himself

vs.

-Tree spirit killed
-Orphans eaten
-Village spared
-Crones destroy Anna's mind, Baron takes her to find a healer

Of those, saving the orphans is the only outcome that isn't morally ambiguous.

this is probably a bug but I freed the spirit before talking to the crones (not knowing they were related) and both Anna and the kids survived.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sixteenstraws posted:

this is probably a bug but I freed the spirit before talking to the crones (not knowing they were related) and both Anna and the kids survived.

Oh wow, that's really cool if it's intended and not a bug like you say.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I think that's the only way to do both, as the Crones can't punish Geralt/Anna for disobeying them about the spirit when they hadn't even told Geralt what to do yet. I mean they could because they're assholes, but it appears that they don't.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

He's really good in this game, I agree. Except for the part at the very end of his quest line where he betrays Roche and Thaler and tries to have them killed. That part seemed poorly justified to me, though his line about always being cast as a halberdier in the play was funny.

gently caress, they meshed him in smoothly so I assumed he was a previous game :( And yeah, seconded again on the spoiler. Didnt seem like the kind of thing he'd risk, being familiar with the party in question.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Manatee Cannon posted:

I have no idea why he thought Geralt would have been okay with that, or that he really had the ability to kill Geralt with that lovely ambush, either. Given that Roche had just saved Geralt's life in the scene before that and saves him in Witcher 2 even if Geralt betrays him and sides with Iorveth, I don't know what kind of monster the player would have to be to choose not to stick up for Roche.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

gently caress, they meshed him in smoothly so I assumed he was a previous game :( And yeah, seconded again on the spoiler. Didnt seem like the kind of thing he'd risk, being familiar with the party in question.

Most of the characters from the games are straight out of the books. And a lot of them that aren't have book parallels (for example Roche is Temerian Djikstra and Iorveth is the Squirrel commander whose name I forget, right down to the scar). They do a good job with them. Hell, people like Triss and Djikstra are both way more likable in the games than they ever were in the novels.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I have no idea why he thought Geralt would have been okay with that, or that he really had the ability to kill Geralt with that lovely ambush, either. Given that Roche had just saved Geralt's life in the scene before that and saves him in Witcher 2 even if Geralt betrays him and sides with Iorveth, I don't know what kind of monster the player would have to be to choose not to stick up for Roche.

It makes even less sense if you read the books because Djikstra tried to detain Geralt once and he beat the poo poo out of all the guards and broke Djikstra's leg (this is where the limp comes from). He's relying on the whole Witcher neutrality, but after you've become a willing accomplice in regicide I don't know why he'd think you'd still be neutral in this matter. His position isn't really in character at all and doesn't make any sense besides. Why wouldn't he try and get Roche and Temaria's support for this? If Roche was willing to put Temaria under Nilfgaard, surely he'd be willing to work with someone he already knew and relied on like Djikstra. That was a bad scene.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 1, 2015

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Dandywalken posted:

What choice was there? Radovid had to die to save Redania from itself, but without him the kingdom was toothless. Thaler/Roche's outcome was acceptable for Temeria, but Redania ceased to be and the remaining Redanians would be either booted off the reservation or hung from lampposts. Djikstra uncharacteristically played the stage for drama at the end because he knew what a long shot it was, potentially going up against Geralt. He was, though, as he said, a patriot.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Quoting this to see if I can get an answer:

PureRok posted:

Toplowtech posted:

Endgame/Ending spoiler: you can get a triss+yen threesome offer if you told them both you loved them (it's actually a trap and they both dump you if you accept) and you end the game alone with Dandelion, like if you didn't romance them

If you said you love them both earlier, can you pick one later and save it, or do I have really have to reload 10 hours back and tell Yennifer I don't care about her all the way back in The Last Wish?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Verranicus posted:

You can go to Novigrad and Skellige as soon as you get out of White Orchard.

I almost went there right away when I saw a huge city on my map, but like pretty much everyone else, you get preoccupied with a bagizzlion other things. I suppose they kept one or two lower level quests around for those who just aren't deterred.

Also, god drat does this game look good. The lighting and shadows are good poo poo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

PureRok posted:

Quoting this to see if I can get an answer:

If you said you love them both earlier, can you pick one later and save it, or do I have really have to reload 10 hours back and tell Yennifer I don't care about her all the way back in The Last Wish?

Better reload that save

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Hell, people like Triss and Djikstra are both way more likable in the games than they ever were in the novels.

On the other hand, Yen seems to remain a terrible person.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Ragingsheep posted:

I've said it before, I'll say it again, she becomes significantly more likeable from Skellige onwards.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Manatee Cannon posted:

Better reload that save

Or don't... live with it like I did in spite of not liking the decision and then get to watch one of the funniest scenes in the game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ragingsheep posted:

Yennefer is good in everything but Sword of Destiny though?

Literally everything she does after that book, in both the novels and this game, is to help Geralt and/or Ciri. She's actually far more consistently altruistic and willing to sacrifice herself for the good of her loved ones than Triss. She's a bitch but she's always characterized as a good person.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 1, 2015

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I should have spent more time building my deck before doing the high stakes tournament. Match two is crushing my spirits :(

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Well god drat. I just used my last Ekkimara hide for a potion I didn't need and saved before I noticed it.

Has no source of ekkimara hide been found still? It's kinda poo poo if you can't make all the potions and their upgrades.

Edit: What's the deal with that Brothel by the big Nilfgaard army camp? There's something mentioned about sneaking into it with a uniform. Future DLC hook?

Edit 2: Hey Roche remember in the Witcher 2 when (end spoiler)we said we'd never talk about killing Hensalt again!? Why are random temerian guerillas bringing it up!!! :argh:

Sankis fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 1, 2015

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Sankis posted:

Well god drat. I just used my last Ekkimara hide for a potion I didn't need and saved before I noticed it.

Has no source of ekkimara hide been found still? It's kinda poo poo if you can't make all the potions and their upgrades.

Edit: What's the deal with that Brothel by the big Nilfgaard army camp? There's something mentioned about sneaking into it with a uniform. Future DLC hook?

Edit 2: Hey Roche remember in the Witcher 2 when (end spoiler)we said we'd never talk about killing Hensalt again!? Why are random temerian guerillas bringing it up!!! :argh:

You can get into the House of Respite with the fancy Nilfgaardian clothes you have to wear in the intro and/or the party you go to with Triss. Pretty sure the tailor in Novigrad restocks them if you got rid of them somewhere along the line.

That area is so weird. You never have any incentive to go there, but it's all around level 12 content. I didn't wander over there until I was clearing up question marks at like level 31.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Just finished with what I assume is a good ending even with the "threesome".

I have no qualms whatsoever and ended far better than Mass Effect 3 ever did.

GOTY.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Ragingsheep posted:

So she's perfect for Geralt, professional curmudgeon

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sankis posted:

Yeah these have been a really limiting factor for a lot of people in their crafting. I guess there's always adding them via console commands if you're on PC. I keep dismembering all the ploughing Nekker Warriors and destroying their hearts, apparently.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I wish named, unique weapons had better stats.

"Geralt here is the ancient, mythical sword that has been in my family for generations"

*sword is worse than mine, vendors it*

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Schlesische posted:

I've said it before, I'll say it again, she becomes significantly more likeable from Skellige onwards.

For me, it was kind of hard to establish her character over Triss, especially if you've played all three games. If you read the books, I imagine it'd be a bit different. Or if this is the first Witcher game you've played.

I guess I just liked her quest and storyline more than Yen's. Probably since burning hordes of Witchhunters to death with Igni and then throwing Dancing Star along with Dragon's Dream into them never got old.

Sankis posted:

I wish named, unique weapons had better stats.

"Geralt here is the ancient, mythical sword that has been in my family for generations"

*sword is worse than mine, vendors it*

This has always been a problem in RPGs. Especially if you have weapons you can craft. And both the Master Armorer and Master Weaponsmith (especially the Master Weaponsmith). Really? Your sword that will 'Cut the Gods' is a legendary blade of the bits.. Seriously dude? You can give me something better than that.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 1, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I finished up! I didn't really do treasure hunts and there's still post game question marking to do, but I finished all contracts and secondary quests except Collect Em All and some miniquests I almost certainly missed (apparently there's a riddle troll?).

Fantastic game, got the season pass, and even got exactly the results I was hoping for in the ending. Nilfgaard wins, Skellige prospers under Cerys, Temeria gets autonomy, Ciri becomes heir apparent, Charles Dance cleans house, and Yen drags Geralt into retirement. Only thing I would change is avoiding the baron stringing himself up, which I assume is why I didn't get anything for Velen.

There's some other loose ends, things I assume are dlc, alternate paths, or just poo poo I missed. Who is the king of beggars working with (I assumed Nilfgaard)? What happened to the last crone? Little things like that.

It's not perfect, but the flaws are mostly minor and ignorable. Not going to try 1 again and don't have anything 2 works on, but I think I might get back into the books, I only ever read Last Wish and Blood of Elves.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Dapper Dan posted:

For me, it was kind of hard to establish her character over Triss, especially if you've played all three games. If you read the books, I imagine it'd be a bit different. Or if this is the first Witcher game you've played.

I guess I just liked her quest and storyline more than Yen's. Probably since burning hordes of Witchhunters to death with Igni and then throwing Dancing Star along with Dragon's Dream into them never got old.

I disagree about the Yen/Triss thing but gently caress yea man burning witch hunters never got old. The minute I found out they like killing people by burning them at the stake I got my Igni and Dragon's Dream ready.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Memento posted:

Yeah these have been a really limiting factor for a lot of people in their crafting. I guess there's always adding them via console commands if you're on PC. I keep dismembering all the ploughing Nekker Warriors and destroying their hearts, apparently.

I'm hoping enough people whine about it on their forums that they patch in a vendor for these rare ingredients like they did in 2 and that they cost a lot of gold to buy. I'm kicking myself that I didn't didn't pick up nekker hearts when I destroyed their nests because I had no drat idea they were so loving rare at the time. I was drowning in them in 2 so figured I'd find plenty here too later on.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I disagree about the Yen/Triss thing but gently caress yea man burning witch hunters never got old. The minute I found out they like killing people by burning them at the stake I got my Igni and Dragon's Dream ready.

The Yen/Triss thing is mostly a personal preference and there obviously isn't a 'right' answer, just how it felt to me.

But yeah, give me DLC with more Witch hunters that I can burn. I felt kind of bad chopping them up with swords. Just isn't the same!

Helith posted:

I'm hoping enough people whine about it on their forums that they patch in a vendor for these rare ingredients like they did in 2 and that they cost a lot of gold to buy. I'm kicking myself that I didn't didn't pick up nekker hearts when I destroyed their nests because I had no drat idea they were so loving rare at the time. I was drowning in them in 2 so figured I'd find plenty here too later on.

For anyone having trouble with Nekker's hearts, there is somewhere in Velen that has three Nekker's lairs as question marks close to each other. I had this problem with loving Ekkimaras. There are like two in the entire drat game and more than two recipes require them.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 1, 2015

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Memento posted:

I keep dismembering all the ploughing Nekker Warriors and destroying their hearts, apparently.

I've had it with those drat Nekker hearts.
After 91 hours I was still 4 hearts short for the enhanced Raffards potion.

Next Nekker nest I came across, I abused the infinite item spawn bug (take all but one item from a blown up monster nest), cancel, open again and it's full of loot again.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Dapper Dan posted:

For anyone having trouble with Nekker's hearts, there is somewhere in Velen that has three Nekker's lairs as question marks close to each other. I had this problem with loving Ekkimaras. There are like two in the entire drat game and more than two recipes require them.

It's the burned fields north of the Nilfgaardian camp, east of the bog in Velen. There are like 5 nekker nests there, they all drop hearts after you blow them up.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Dapper Dan posted:

This has always been a problem in RPGs. Especially if you have weapons you can craft. And both the Master Armorer and Master Weaponsmith (especially the Master Weaponsmith). Really? Your sword that will 'Cut the Gods' is a legendary blade of the bits.. Seriously dude? You can give me something better than that.
IMO the game should not have levelling gear at all. It should be a purely skill-driven game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rodyle posted:

I finished up! I didn't really do treasure hunts and there's still post game question marking to do, but I finished all contracts and secondary quests except Collect Em All and some miniquests I almost certainly missed (apparently there's a riddle troll?).

Fantastic game, got the season pass, and even got exactly the results I was hoping for in the ending. Nilfgaard wins, Skellige prospers under Cerys, Temeria gets autonomy, Ciri becomes heir apparent, Charles Dance cleans house, and Yen drags Geralt into retirement. Only thing I would change is avoiding the baron stringing himself up, which I assume is why I didn't get anything for Velen.

There's some other loose ends, things I assume are dlc, alternate paths, or just poo poo I missed. Who is the king of beggars working with (I assumed Nilfgaard)? What happened to the last crone? Little things like that.

It's not perfect, but the flaws are mostly minor and ignorable. Not going to try 1 again and don't have anything 2 works on, but I think I might get back into the books, I only ever read Last Wish and Blood of Elves.

You get some closure on the final crone on the worst ending. It's heartbreaking.