Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Air is lava! posted:

Legalizing pot is alright. But does anyone actually argue that crystal meth should be legal?

A large chunk of young people have been on Adderall for the past 10 or 20 years, and that is a more pure amphetamine than crystal meth. If anything, legalizing pure pharmaceutical uppers would destroy the meth industry because meth is awful and nasty. I doubt anyone would say "let's legalize crystal meth" they would just say "let's decriminalize crystal meth and legalize people buying uppers OTC without a scrip".

e: I mean to put things in perspective it makes no sense that you can legally buy a liter of vodka, which would kill you or make you incredibly dangerous/unstable if you drank it all at once, but you can't legally buy a single pill of Adderall, which would just make you more alert and focused for a couple hours.

precision fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

What a thread for this derail.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-25961063

"I want this, but more" is basically why no one takes pro-drug arguments seriously. Alcohol being bad is not an invitation to exacerbate the situation by legalizing more drugs.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Irish Joe is basically the Taint Reaper of TVIV

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I know one thing that I could never overdose on: JLD

Was she ever in something big, aside from Seinfeld?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Irish Joe posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-25961063

"I want this, but more" is basically why no one takes pro-drug arguments seriously. Alcohol being bad is not an invitation to exacerbate the situation by legalizing more drugs.

Freedom means freedom dude. I want choices when it comes to my inevitable overdose!

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

waitwhatno posted:

Not yet :smug:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

waitwhatno posted:

She had her own, mildly successful show, for a few years. Old Christine or something like that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
New Adventures of Old Christine was pretty successful, but I believe it gets slotted into the "mostly lovely workplace comedy" slot with things like Just Shoot Me. I'm not sure I've ever seen an episode, and yet I somehow also get the feeling I remember exactly what it was like.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

waitwhatno posted:

SNL count?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Holy poo poo, season 2 is so much better than the first. Its almost like a different show entirely. I felt like the cast clicked very early, but that first season feels almost airless compares to all the insanity that season 2 brought.

Bless this HBO Now, can't wait to continue binging!

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Narcissus1916 posted:

Holy poo poo, season 2 is so much better than the first. Its almost like a different show entirely. I felt like the cast clicked very early, but that first season feels almost airless compares to all the insanity that season 2 brought.
Yeah, for the first three seasons the show just got better and better each year and now it's is just firing on all cylinders. Wait 'till you get to Ryantology.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

Enough Said is a good movie.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think a regulated drug trade, taxed and over-watched by the government, would be the best solution. The government

Hey now, let's not interfere with free enterprise!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Illinois Smith posted:

Yeah, for the first three seasons the show just got better and better each year and now it's is just firing on all cylinders. Wait 'till you get to Ryantology.

I think season 3 is the peak. So far season 4 has been great, but just barely shy of the high water mark that was 3.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I think that the show has moved to be too much of a drama and not enough of a comedy. Making Selena president and then keeping her there was a mistake.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Cliff Racer posted:

I think that the show has moved to be too much of a drama and not enough of a comedy. Making Selena president and then keeping her there was a mistake.

Yeah, I think the "what would happen if Selena was actually president" pool turned out to be a little shallow. Season 3 was a peak because they got to set up situations like the Silicon Valley visit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"TV show about the President" never works. 1600 Penn was bad, Hail to the Chief was bad, Mr. President was really bad...

The only good one was That's My Bush, which I still miss. :(

e: the animated Bush comedy sucked too

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I take it you weren't a West Wing fan.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

The only good one was That's My Bush, which I still miss. :(

e: the animated Bush comedy sucked too

I forgot that Comedy Central got not one, but two(!), shows based on George Bush. Oh Bush era...

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Lycus posted:

I take it you weren't a West Wing fan.

remember that super cool post 9/11 episode

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Did the 8th episode air?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Yeah. Its on HBO Go if you missed it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hollllllllly poo poo Gary speaking for the president was hilarious.

Pretty sure this season ends with Ben or Kent in jail

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 1, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
gently caress yeah, they're really doing the TTOI Inquiry episode next week! And then the week after that is the election finale. I'm ridiculously excited.

PostNouveau posted:

Hollllllllly poo poo Gary speaking for the president was hilarious.
Yeah, Gary making Pierce the French ambassador is gonna be the tip of the iceberg made of poo poo they're about to crash into.

precision posted:

"TV show about the President" never works.
I mean, I agree that Season 3 was probably more enjoyable because campaigning gave the show a chance to drop the cast into a bunch of different situations and let us watch them react to it, but apart from that variety I think this season is pretty loving far from "doesn't work" status.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jun 1, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Tom freaking right the gently caress out was great. This is exactly what I wanted to see from him.

Also this next episodes has both frightening and hilarious implications if it's half as good as that episode of TTOI. Maybe this is how the ticket gets hosed with.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm still walking my way through veep, but shows about Presidents are generally pretty decent.

TV struggles with good campaign stories, though. Much as we laud Aaron Sorkin's West Wing, Barlett's re-election campaign is a fizzy fart of a storyline. The Jimmy Smits and Alan Alda variant in its latter years is decent, but not exactly memorable.

If Veep can land a campaign season, I'll be super happy. Just wrapping up season 2 now.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Illinois Smith posted:

gently caress yeah, they're really doing the TTOI Inquiry episode next week! And then the week after that is the election finale. I'm ridiculously excited.

Yup!

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
It's really cool how every single thing that happens in this show is compared to a different show, every week

this thread loving sucks and you all suck at posting about this show

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Illinois Smith posted:

Would now be a good time to mention that for the TTOI Inquiry episode the actors were just given general background information their characters would be aware of and general directions for where the scene was supposed to end up and then told to improvise the entire rest of the actual inquiry bits?

Because that happened. And it was loving glorious.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Kent: "It's like something out of a political cartoon."
Ben: "What'ya mean? Not-funny?"

Gonna miss this show (assuming it ends when Armando Iannucci leaves--if it doesn't, I may or may not continue watching; undecided), but looking forward to the Soviet Union project Iannucci is going to work on, The Death Of Stalin.

Also, not sure how anyone can accurately compare modern political satires like Iannucci's to anything else other than the man's own work. We've had some great stuff throughout history, but when it comes to realistic nuance and the realistic absurdity that is somewhat inherent in politics, I personally can't think of an apt comparison to other writers/producers/directors, etc. working today.

Feel free to commence y'er bitchin' about how I suck now.

Edit: Sam Richardson's performance as Richard Splett is a wonderful addition to the show, and I wish he'd been around longer than, like, what? A season and a half? Fantastic character.

Edit 2: Same goes for Laurie's Tom James. Even though I find the character to be fairly average for politicians of Iannucci's world (and arguably, the real world as well) of snakes, both competent and incompetent, Laurie is a fantastic addition, and his character added a unique personality to the show. That's one thing I like about Armando's work--even if all the politicians are, in essence, either an incompetent or vicious variety of poo poo-heel, they all seem like a different variety of lovely footwear. Well-written lovely boots.

"gently caress you, America." - President Selina Meyer

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 1, 2015

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Zombie Raptor posted:

Kent: "It's like something out of a political cartoon."
Ben: "What'ya mean? Not-funny?"

Gonna miss this show (assuming it ends when Armando Iannucci leaves--if it doesn't, I may or may not continue watching; undecided), but looking forward to the Soviet Union project Iannucci is going to work on, The Death Of Stalin.

Also, not sure how anyone can accurately compare modern political satires like Iannucci's to anything else other than the man's own work. We've had some great stuff throughout history, but when it comes to realistic nuance and the realistic absurdity that is somewhat inherent in politics, I personally can't think of an apt comparison to other writers/producers/directors, etc. working today.

Feel free to commence y'er bitchin' about how I suck now.

Edit: Sam Richardson's performance as Richard Splett is a wonderful addition to the show, and I wish he'd been around longer than, like, what? A season and a half? Fantastic character.

jw, are you going to decide before the episodes without him actually air?

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Fetus Tree posted:

jw, are you going to decide before the episodes without him actually air?

Provided they do air Iannucci-less episodes, nope. Gonna give it a chance. It's not at all impossible for them to pull it off well w/o him, I am just a big fan of his work.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Zombie Raptor posted:

Provided they do air Iannucci-less episodes, nope.
They've already announced there's gonna be a fifth season.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Illinois Smith posted:

They've already announced there's gonna be a fifth season.

I 'spose we'll see, then. I'm sorta bad with keeping up with series renewals, to be honest. Will we be able to sense his absence in a way that detracts from the show? If not, if it still feels like Veep, then awesome. Ya' know?

Edit: I just know how many show/film projects tend to fall apart when the main showrunner hands it off to others. It's not a guaranteed that the project will go to poo poo, but it's never exactly a surprise if/when it does.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 1, 2015

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The first season had a bunch of small errors about how legislation gets passed that bugged the hell out of the nerdy policy-side of my brain.

Veep nails the general culture of DC so drat well, though. I went to college at a preppy east coast university, and I knew so many Jonahs.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Narcissus1916 posted:

...so many Jonahs.

How many Richard Spletts are there? :allears:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Orange Devil posted:

Would now be a good time to mention that for the TTOI Inquiry episode the actors were just given general background information their characters would be aware of and general directions for where the scene was supposed to end up and then told to improvise the entire rest of the actual inquiry bits?

Because that happened. And it was loving glorious.

Wait seriously? Glenn's testimony is my favorite part of that show, and I can't imagine it being improvised.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Zombie Raptor posted:

He's going to do Russian politics, that's going to be loving amazing. End Veep today and get to work on that, will we finally get a moment that equals a Yes, Minister moment about various Soviet offices.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

mr.capps posted:

Wait seriously? Glenn's testimony is my favorite part of that show, and I can't imagine it being improvised.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-10-19/the-thick-of-it-cast-given-no-chance-to-prepare-for-goolding-inquiry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I can't imagine Ianucci leaving will destroy the show at all. He's set all the players up, it's now one of those ensemble casts where "the show writes itself". It would be impressive if someone managed to truly gently caress it up.

• Locked thread