Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It won't because that will be BBB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Pretty certain Shirobako will stand astride this year's rankings like the colossus.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I just assumed that Jojo and Fate will top the lists again, but I'll be very sad if Shirobako isn't number one.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like Fate a whole lot but it will have to blow my mind in the last few episodes for me to put it at #1.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

What number it is on your list doesn't matter, just that it's on there. So yeah actually it probably will be Fate and Jojo.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper posted:

Least consequential anime news yet! The OP will be done by Minmi, the woman who sings the Samurai Champloo ending theme.

I'll take my early victories where I can find them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSFy4Db1RQ4

The opening without vocals. Full release is the 22nd of July, a couple weeks after the show begins airing.

Terper fucked around with this message at 09:49 on May 25, 2015

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I hope the air horns end up in the OP

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Terper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSFy4Db1RQ4

The opening without vocals. Full release is the 22nd of July, a couple weeks after the show begins airing.

Man I kept waiting for the tempo to kick up, but it just sounds like boring elevator music.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

So turns out it might be the ED, not the OP. Whatever.

Here's chapter 80!

Good for you, Aizawa. :unsmith: That was a phenomenal confession.

Terper fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jun 1, 2015

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Yaaaaaaaaaay

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

This series is just fantastic. :allears:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not sure that's how it's supposed to work but I'll take it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
That was both :black101: and :kimchi: as hell. You go, Aizawa, you go girl! Seriously, if you're gonna confess, that's the way to do it! Especially when it comes to ice cream eyes for everyone.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I am actually really proud of Kuromine. He actually picked up on the hints and went after her after she chickened out the first time. Not every harem/romance comedy protagonist would do that! Good man, Kuromine. :)

Ahh, I can't really decide who to root for! I like all the potential couples, they're all cute+dumb!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Terper posted:

So turns out it might be the ED, not the OP. Whatever.

Here's chapter 80!

Good for you, Aizawa. :unsmith: That was a phenomenal confession.

Link's dead

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Still works for me.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Link's not dead for me. I read it a second time to make sure. :3:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
:cheer: You go, girl!

Although, I think Kuromine was going to reject her... And she totally took him off guard with that kiss.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Must've been a hiccup, it works now.

:3::3::3:

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

RadicalR posted:

:cheer: You go, girl!

Although, I think Kuromine was going to reject her... And she totally took him off guard with that kiss.

From the sound of his dialogue, it seems that way for sure. He sure didn't get the chance though. I was really worried they were just going to cut off the confession... as harem manga usually do. It was a really great twist for things to turn out this way, even if kuromine still doesn't need to give a reply.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
That was great. Where does Aizawa keep all those ice cream cones? :kimchi:

DrSunshine posted:

I am actually really proud of Kuromine. He actually picked up on the hints and went after her after she chickened out the first time. Not every harem/romance comedy protagonist would do that! Good man, Kuromine. :)

Ahh, I can't really decide who to root for! I like all the potential couples, they're all cute+dumb!

Yeah, that was really brave and cool of him. Harem protagonists often freeze up in situations like that so it was really nice to see Kuromine do what needed to be done to help Aizawa. :3:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
That was fantastic! Eye screams for all! :3:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
That chapter was great.

I love that Kuromine figured out that Aizawa was into him and, even though he was going to reject her, gave her a chance to say her peace since that'd be easier for her than never saying it and keeping it bottled up. It's pretty rare for a harem protagonist to not have his head eternally up his own rear end.

Also, I love the acknowledgement of the eye scream joke.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Honestly, I don't think this can really be called a harem manga- it's a romantic comedy with more than one female protagonist, that's all. That being said, I really do wish there's happiness on the cards for Aizawa- she's just too nice for all the poo poo she goes through.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's totally a harem dude

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Like 90% of harem animes are also romcoms, they are not mutually exclusive

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really like Asahi's small monologue about how hard it was to reject Mikan and knowing the pain of being rejected himself, but still believing that he should hear Aizawa out cause he realizes she's in love with him and that she deserves the chance to confess and move on with her life. Most harem protagonists wouldn't do any of that either due to denseness, unwillingness to hurt the girl's feelings, or the writer's inability to do anything meaningful (which leads to the former 2 options). Asahi is a really great harem protagonist. Perhaps the only great one.

Please be happy Aizawa.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Manga of the Year

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Covok posted:

That chapter was great.

I love that Kuromine figured out that Aizawa was into him and, even though he was going to reject her, gave her a chance to say her peace since that'd be easier for her than never saying it and keeping it bottled up. It's pretty rare for a harem protagonist to not have his head eternally up his own rear end.

Also, I love the acknowledgement of the eye scream joke.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I really like Asahi's small monologue about how hard it was to reject Mikan and knowing the pain of being rejected himself, but still believing that he should hear Aizawa out cause he realizes she's in love with him and that she deserves the chance to confess and move on with her life. Most harem protagonists wouldn't do any of that either due to denseness, unwillingness to hurt the girl's feelings, or the writer's inability to do anything meaningful (which leads to the former 2 options). Asahi is a really great harem protagonist. Perhaps the only great one.

Please be happy Aizawa.

I agree with both of you, and I think that it's what sets both our protagonist and the writer apart from the chaff.
The fact that he understands both sides of rejecting someone and having been rejected himself, understands what she's feeling and is actually able to put 2 and 2 together, but most importantly, feels that it's necessary to allow her to say her bit and also important to reject her so that she can move on. That his own harsh rejection was above all what allowed him to move on, rather than becoming some dense, spineless twerp who can't decide on which girl to go for. Our characters are cute + dumb, not brainless pretty people.

Also, old talk, but who wants to bet, considering how hard she works, that Charismatic Pervert 2 is the teacher?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cake Attack posted:

it's totally a harem dude

A harem of three characters? What a weak-rear end harem. Just because the cast is primarily female and there's romance doesn't mean that it's necessarily a harem. There's like 10 girls and 2 of them are actually seriously going for asahi, with a third Cobra Commandering it up in the background.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 2, 2015

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

A harem of three characters? What a weak-rear end harem. Just because the cast is primarily female and there's romance doesn't mean that it's necessarily a harem. There's like 10 girls and 2 of them are actually seriously going for asahi, with a third Cobra Commandering it up in the background.
Mikan is pretty serious about it, and three is enough to qualify it as harem. That does not mean it isn't good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Mikan is the cobra commander I was talking about.

She may be serious, but she's the most bungling of the lot by an order of magnitude at this point.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Captain Invictus posted:

Into Asahi:
Vampire
Alien
Misfortune God
Werewolf (?)

Would Sleep With Asahi:
Misfortune God
Werewolf
Charismatic Pervert (?)

No Attraction to Asahi:
Demon
Angel
Vampire Mom
Time Traveler
Magical Teacher

Am I missing any? Also remember when Tenchi Muyo was considered a harem? Now the love triangle trope is so standard that it requires at least five girls, one relative, a teacher, and an animal to qualify as a harem series.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

by this logic Love Hina isn't even a harem

like drat, I'm not trying to own the manga or anything, i really like it, it's just obviously a harem

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
Werewolf isn't into him, she just likes teasing him because he freaks out at the smallest stuff. This is definitely a harem manga, but its surprisingly not terrible like 99.9% of the rest.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Some years ago, I recall a hardened ADTRW harem veteran arguing that a true harem required the protagonist to be living with the haremettes, Tenchi Muyo-/Love Hina-style.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Mikan is the cobra commander I was talking about.

She may be serious, but she's the most bungling of the lot by an order of magnitude at this point.
I'm fully aware that Mikan is who you were talking about and I'm saying that trying to pretend she doesn't count is silly. There is no need to make excuses as to why it's not technically harem. We are all here, reading this cute + dumb harem manga with you.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Funny thing, just the insinuation of "harem" is enough to turn a lot of people off from a series, enough to not even give it a chance. Many folks I've recommended it to see the cast and immediately discount it because of the negative connotations of the genre. It's why I don't consider it one, because it's better than that. But hey, think what you will.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
If the obvious main-character relationship is enforced by the end, is it still a harem? Not trying to defend anything here, just curious. I thought harem implied a lack of resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

The principal is the yandere option. :ssh:

e: Totally a harem.

e2:

Soylentbits posted:

Magical Teacher

:lol: This owns.

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 2, 2015

• Locked thread