Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The only minor problem I could see with The Stone was that it ultimately didn't answer very much, but it was still an interesting one. I would guess that people who didn't like The Stone didn't enjoy Divine either, but that's okay. It's all okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
It was pretty interesting, but you better believe there were goons posting, "oh look, we're going even further back in time how much longer do we have to sit through this ughhhhh :rolleyes:" at every new page.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It happens in lots of places around here and other boards, a lot of goons legitimately cannot handle a slow pace or a diversion from whatever particular media they're interested in for even a minute without instantly losing their poo poo. It's pretty weird.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Yeah for some reason there's a lot of people who just want stories to bang out the ~*plot*~ rapid fire with no time for characterization, theatricality, considering or expanding on the themes or ugh, emotions.

Action sequences usually get a pass, except for sometimes, when they are bad or it has been decided that they are bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Just tell me who killed Laura Palmer already so I can stop watching this bullshit!

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I'm just glad the comic has confirmed what I figured had happened and people can stop complaining about the comic selling out the characters because they assumed that nothing can happen 'off-camera' and Anthony's control was some sort of magical mind control totality, but how could Kat just let Renard get taken away like that?!?

Now let's get back to arguing whether Anthony is a good person or not :unsmigghh:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lurdiak posted:

Just tell me who killed Laura Palmer already so I can stop watching this bullshit!

Maggie Simpson.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
No way this will backfire or end poorly. No way :colbert:

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Kat what the frickle-frackle bait-and-tackle tabernacle are you thinking

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Brightman posted:

No way this will backfire or end poorly. No way :colbert:

"What happened to your other hand?! And your right leg! And your left leg! And your epidermis!"
"Is it any of your business?"
". . ."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

As a reader it's an obvious Chekhov's gun, but honestly, the right to defend himself is pretty reasonable.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kat has had enough of being pushed around by shady characters.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

MikeJF posted:

As a reader it's an obvious Chekhov's gun, but honestly, the right to defend himself is pretty reasonable.

OH OH Speaking of Chekhov's gun!!!!

Jesus christ does he still have the Tooth in his mouth? :stare:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Tony arrives at dinner missing another hand.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
No idea what you folks are talking about. This is clearly a very reasonable precaution being taken for purely logical reasons that will have absolutely no negative repercussions in the future whatsoever.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

MikeJF posted:

I too think that telling the monster with multiple innocent bodies to his name and emotional problems related to obsessing over a crippled man's wife that he can do whatever he wants to that man in the name of 'protecting himself' is a totally reasonable response to the situation, and Kat is not at all crazy here.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
Because Kat totally sees Rey as a monster with multiple innocent bodies to his name and not a friend that has been helpful and protective of them for the past few years.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yes, and that makes her telling him to kill her best friend's dad if poo poo goes down so much better!

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
why aren't these children in this story perfect rational actors and furthermore

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Boogaleeboo posted:

Yes, and that makes her telling him to kill her best friend's dad if poo poo goes down so much better!

Keep in mind that Renard has built up a lot of good will based on his actions since then. Enough so that even Egalmore (who is very well acquainted with Renard's crimes and suffered personal losses just because of him) tolerates his company and spends time with him. It stands to reason that whether your opinion of him, that Kat trusts him a lot more than Anthony and just wants him to be safe in case Anthony decides to dissect or murder him. Or does whatever else Kat thinks he is going to do.

Given the comic, this is probably going to back fire in some way (probably not in anthony's death but maybe Renard hurts him and it causes Annie to break away from Kat or something) this is a pretty reasonable thing for Kat to do given the events of the comic as a whole.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

JuniperCake posted:

Given the comic, this is probably going to back fire in some way (probably not in anthony's death but maybe Renard hurts him and it causes Annie to break away from Kat or something) this is a pretty reasonable thing for Kat to do given the events of the comic as a whole.

It's reasonable in the sense it makes sense for the character and the plot, it's unreasonable in the sense she just told her pet monster he can kill someone.

Seagull posted:

why aren't these children in this story perfect rational actors and furthermore

I don't know what the heck you were doing at 14 [I think, what are they at now?], but I think most people grasped "Don't randomly setup people to be murdered' by then. That seems like a low bar for the stupidity of the teenage years to clear.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
And she only refrained from telling him to gently caress Anthony up because of a promise she made to Antimony. She's got a pretty good hate going.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Keep in mind Renard is currently feigning enslavement to someone he hates simply to protect Antimony. Think about if you were put in a similar situation, and forbidden from defending yourself if attacked. That would be disgusting. Y'all are over-reacting to Kat being smart and pragmatic and merciful by allowing her good friend to escape harm if it comes to that.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Boogaleeboo posted:

I too think that telling the monster with multiple innocent bodies to his name and emotional problems related to obsessing over a crippled man's wife that he can do whatever he wants to that man in the name of 'protecting himself' is a totally reasonable response to the situation, and Kat is not at all crazy here.

Two bodies, only one of which was premeditated.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I've always liked Reynard's justification of possessing Sivo - it wasn't as bad because he "bested him" in a fight. It's a pretty good way of showing that he's not evil or perfectly sympathetic, he has just some values alien to us.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

If Kat is that much concerned over Renard why not get him out of there? I thought this was a rescue mission? If she distrusts Anthony that much that she suspects he'll try to harm Renard then she's putting him in danger by using him as a spy.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I've always liked Reynard's justification of possessing Sivo - it wasn't as bad because he "bested him" in a fight. It's a pretty good way of showing that he's not evil or perfectly sympathetic, he has just some values alien to us.

Just some values alien to us, like it being ok to murder people sometimes. Killing someone in a duel is murder, and has been for a long time.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

YF-23 posted:

Just some values alien to us, like it being ok to murder people sometimes.

This is actually a perfectly common opinion.

e:

quote:

Killing someone in a duel is murder, and has been for a long time.

And like you yourself say here, "murder" is a chronally-bound cultural construction - this is characterisation, as it shows that Reynard comes from a different culture.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 1, 2015

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Did Kat say "kill him in the name of protecting yourself"? No, she said "IF he tries to hurt you, THEN the magically-enforced ban on hurting him is lifted".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You guys are pretty dumb if you think Renard would murder Annie's dad.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
"Do whatever it takes to defend yourself" isn't exactly the same as "it's okay to kill Anthony".

It could be as simple as kicking his butt and running off.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Just a bit of mauling, you guys.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Fangz posted:

"Do whatever it takes to defend yourself" isn't exactly the same as "it's okay to kill Anthony".

But at the same time it's ALSO not the same as just "you can defend yourself."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fangz posted:

And assuming the wording is important (and of course it is) he's even limited to the minimum butt kicking required. "Whatever it takes" is quite a restrictive phrase when taken literally.

Though it does leave open the opportunity for Tony murder if it was legitimately the only way to stop him from something like taking a harmless but painful skin sample, which a less dramatic phrasing might not.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Renard only has permission to act. Nothing precludes him just sitting there and taking it, if he chose to do so.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
What I do think this sets up is a test of character for Rey. Whether he has actually changed or not. I think he has.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Fangz posted:

What I do think this sets up is a test of character for Rey. Whether he has actually changed or not. I think he has.

And we've had a chapter to establish that Reynard will totally murder your rear end if necessary.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
This comic has like never ever gotten not picky about precise words used to tell renard what to do. Like ever.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Fangz posted:

"Do whatever it takes to defend yourself" isn't exactly the same as "it's okay to kill Anthony". It could be as simple as kicking his butt and running off.
It is okay to kill Anthony, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

And we've had a chapter to establish that Reynard will totally murder your rear end if necessary.

To stop someone from murdering an unknowing child.