Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.
Who has two thumbs and poor impulse control? This guy!

Just grabbed a 360, very happy with the first impressions but it's only been an hour. I see what you're saying about the jankiness when it first lights up, but it feels fine after that first "wake up". I'm also pleasantly surprised by how quickly it picks up my natural wrist movement, so I'm not even tempted to try ambient mode right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
In case anybody missed it, Woot is selling refurbed LG G Watches (just the original, not the R) today for $80. Not a bad deal for what really amounts to a pretty decent watch. I picked one up earlier this week from a buddy that had upgraded and am really happy with it.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Following the recent update my watch vibrates every time my phone goes out of range. However this means it's also vibrating when I'm close to my phone but something is in the way and blocking the signal. This can cause it to connect and disconnect repeatedly making it buzz annoyingly.

Is there any way too stop this?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kakairo posted:

Who has two thumbs and poor impulse control? This guy!

Just grabbed a 360, very happy with the first impressions but it's only been an hour. I see what you're saying about the jankiness when it first lights up, but it feels fine after that first "wake up". I'm also pleasantly surprised by how quickly it picks up my natural wrist movement, so I'm not even tempted to try ambient mode right now.
In every day use it's a much better device with Ambient mode on, it lights up faster and is more glanceable. Anyway, glad you're happy with it. It's still a great looking device and the flat tyre isn't a thing that I ever notice.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

G-Prime posted:

In case anybody missed it, Woot is selling refurbed LG G Watches (just the original, not the R) today for $80. Not a bad deal for what really amounts to a pretty decent watch. I picked one up earlier this week from a buddy that had upgraded and am really happy with it.

I'm still really happy with my G Watch but $80 seems really, really high for a refurb this late in the game, there have been lower prices on new G watches weeks and weeks ago. For $80 for a refurb I'm going to wait for either the second gen or pick up a G Watch R next time it goes on a decent sale.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Three Olives posted:

I'm still really happy with my G Watch but $80 seems really, really high for a refurb this late in the game, there have been lower prices on new G watches weeks and weeks ago. For $80 for a refurb I'm going to wait for either the second gen or pick up a G Watch R next time it goes on a decent sale.

AT&T Wireless dropped the G Watch R to $99 today but of course the inventory available on the website sold out almost immediately.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Three Olives posted:

80 is a bit much this late, yes, but not awful for an entry level Wear device. I just snagged one for 50 from a coworker, personally. Wanted something to use to dip my toes in the water and see if it'd be worthwhile for me to buy one of the shiny new ones that's inevitably coming over the next couple months.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CaptainN posted:

Do you reckon we're likely to see new watch(es) announced during any of today's events?

I guess not. I thought it was a sure thing with all the price drops and being a year from the last one.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Rastor posted:

AT&T Wireless dropped the G Watch R to $99 today but of course the inventory available on the website sold out almost immediately.

God drat it! Hopefully I can pick up a refurb for $199-ish in the next month or so assuming that a really compelling next gen watch isn't announced between now and then. I would also probably settle for a Zen Watch at $150, maybe, I like it but another friend said she likes the LG G R but that she saw the Zen watch in person and thought it was ugly, I haven't seen it in person.

G-Prime posted:

80 is a bit much this late, yes, but not awful for an entry level Wear device. I just snagged one for 50 from a coworker, personally. Wanted something to use to dip my toes in the water and see if it'd be worthwhile for me to buy one of the shiny new ones that's inevitably coming over the next couple months.

Replace the band and nobody will say anything about it. My ex who works for a very high end fashion company who will be the first to make fun of whatever I am wearing said it looks fine or more, inoffensively bland. It's not a piece of jewelry but it is no more stylistically offensive then a Fitbit and we have all pretty much come to accept those.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 30, 2015

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Three Olives posted:

Replace the band and nobody will say anything about it. My ex who works for a very high end fashion company who will be the first to make fun of whatever I am wearing said it looks fine or more, inoffensively bland. It's not a piece of jewelry but it is no more stylistically offensive then a Fitbit and we have all pretty much come to accept those.

Already done. Got a nice black leather one on there now. Thinking about replacing with steel (haven't decided between mesh or traditional links, worried my armhair will get caught in the mesh too easily) so I can have something that breathes better.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Bought a steel bracelet moto 360...it isn't big enough to fit around my wrists. :saddowns: (No, I don't have fat arms).

edit: Just found the extra links. :saddowns: :saddowns:

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 31, 2015

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

Bought a steel bracelet moto 360...it isn't big enough to fit around my wrists. :saddowns: (No, I don't have fat arms).

Did you unhinge both of the butterfly clasps? I initially didn't do that and later figured it out.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 1, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Zenwatch 2 was announced I guess? Fall release

http://www.androidcentral.com/asus-announces-zenwatch-2-two-sizes-and-three-colors-optional-steel-band

Looks nice, still wish they could reduce those bezels.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Reverse Centaur posted:

Zenwatch 2 was announced I guess? Fall release

http://www.androidcentral.com/asus-announces-zenwatch-2-two-sizes-and-three-colors-optional-steel-band

Looks nice, still wish they could reduce those bezels.

Haha, an extended battery back for your smartwatch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxawWV5dEAA&t=90s

The haters are going to get a lot of Android mocking mileage out of that one.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So with Android Wear, if you loose your connection to your phone (walk too far away, etc.), will it still collect fitness data like steps and heart rate and then just feed them into Fit when it reconnects, or is it just not going to log anything until it can talk to the phone again?

Also, re: the option to download music to the watch, does that mean music is moved from your phone to the watch or will your pinned stuff simply be in two locations, the phone and the watch? What if you've got more music pinned than the watch has storage?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rastor posted:

The haters are going to get a lot of Android mocking mileage out of that one.

Glass houses and stones and such. Extended batteries already exist for the Apple Watch.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Glass houses and stones and such. Extended batteries already exist for the Apple Watch.

Not from Apple.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Endless Mike posted:

Not from Apple.

*SHRUG*, they did provide the means of powering the watch from the strap at least.

The point is, no one is smelling like roses except pebble when it comes to smart watch battery life.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

FEBURARY

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

That bezel

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Some buzz about the Tag Heuer Carrera Wearable 01:

http://www.wareable.com/android-wear/tag-heuer-carrera-wearable-01-ceo-reveals-name-of-first-luxury-smartwatch-1191

Interesting for the fact it is not using a Qualcomm processor and for the idea of a smartwatch with upgradeable innards.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

That bezel

It's OLED so the bezel shouldn't be a problem with a well designed watch face.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Three Olives posted:

It's OLED so the bezel shouldn't be a problem with a well designed watch face.

Except for the huge blank area all around the edges.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Except for the huge blank area all around the edges.

I'm the fool that thinks the G Watch is OK so...

The September launch time is interesting though if only because I think it means it is OK to pull the trigger on a sale of one of the better first gen watches because second gen is probably going to launch for winter 2015 so I'm down for a LG G R now when it goes on a really good sale.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Three Olives posted:

I'm the fool that thinks the G Watch is OK so...

The September launch time is interesting though if only because I think it means it is OK to pull the trigger on a sale of one of the better first gen watches because second gen is probably going to launch for winter 2015 so I'm down for a LG G R now when it goes on a really good sale.

There's still that 99 dollar ATT sale for the g watch r

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I still need to sell my GWR if you want a barely used one with a steel band at a reasonable price.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Reverse Centaur posted:

I still need to sell my GWR if you want a barely used one with a steel band at a reasonable price.

I might be interested as well, could you put it up on goonmart?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I just pulled the trigger on a 360 with some Amazon credit I'd saved up, so I fully expect the 2nd gen 360 to be announced today or tomorrow.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Nitrousoxide posted:

I might be interested as well, could you put it up on goonmart?

Apparently it's $99 with at&t, I can't compete with that. I could sell it to a fellow Canadian for at least $200 I think, it's not even out here yet.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

There's still that 99 dollar ATT sale for the g watch r

Reverse Centaur posted:

Apparently it's $99 with at&t, I can't compete with that. I could sell it to a fellow Canadian for at least $200 I think, it's not even out here yet.

Out of stock online and I've searched every zip code I can think of in the metro and two other metros where I could talk a friend into getting it for me so I don't think that price is actually valid.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 2, 2015

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I can't find it in any of my local at stores either.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
So what's my best option in terms of Android Wear devices if my priorities are price, functionality, aesthetics in that order? Or should I wait a bit (I have no idea what sort of events, etc are coming up in the near term)?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

vulturesrow posted:

So what's my best option in terms of Android Wear devices if my priorities are price, functionality, aesthetics in that order? Or should I wait a bit (I have no idea what sort of events, etc are coming up in the near term)?

If you absolutely must buy one right now a LG G Watch if you can find it for under $80 new, otherwise just wait one of the higher end first gen watches to go on a really good sale, that should be shortly.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

Tunga posted:

In every day use it's a much better device with Ambient mode on, it lights up faster and is more glanceable. Anyway, glad you're happy with it. It's still a great looking device and the flat tyre isn't a thing that I ever notice.

I tried a full-day test with ambient mode off and a full-day test with ambient mode on, and frankly I don't think it's worth the battery drain. I was playing with the watch much more on the non-ambient day, and managed 3 more hours of uptime. I've been thrilled with it otherwise.

Does anyone here use Tasker? I've been a long-time fan of their automation software (silencing my phone when I walk into my office, for example), and the AutoWear plugin seems pretty robust. I've created a simple app that displays my Target Cartwheel barcode on the watch when I walk into a Target, and one that displays my Starbucks Card when I walk into a Starbucks. Instead of using GPS, the apps search for the common WiFi SSIDs used. The barcode worked at Target and blew away the two employees that were standing there.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Kakairo posted:

I tried a full-day test with ambient mode off and a full-day test with ambient mode on, and frankly I don't think it's worth the battery drain. I was playing with the watch much more on the non-ambient day, and managed 3 more hours of uptime. I've been thrilled with it otherwise.

Does anyone here use Tasker? I've been a long-time fan of their automation software (silencing my phone when I walk into my office, for example), and the AutoWear plugin seems pretty robust. I've created a simple app that displays my Target Cartwheel barcode on the watch when I walk into a Target, and one that displays my Starbucks Card when I walk into a Starbucks. Instead of using GPS, the apps search for the common WiFi SSIDs used. The barcode worked at Target and blew away the two employees that were standing there.

I have my loyalty cards in google wallet and it does that automatically.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Kakairo posted:

Does anyone here use Tasker?
If you haven't seen it already.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

I have my loyalty cards in google wallet and it does that automatically.

Huh, that has never worked for me, and I've tried my last three phones. My REI card has never automatically popped up, and I actually used Wallet to generate the Starbucks barcode (the Starbucks app blocks screenshots) but haven't seen any popups. Do you know if it's based on WiFi or GPS? I just checked my settings and I have all the notifications on.

I do lurk that thread every once in a while, but thanks for reminding me. I plan on doing some more tinkering this weekend, if I come up with something good I'll share it there.

EDIT: Just did a little searching, there's an app called Stocard that does what my Tasker scripts were doing. I'll check it out, see if it works on my lunch break. It's based off GPS, though, so they have to have an up-to-date database to search. I think my solution, using the WiFi SSIDs, may be better because it requires no outside information. I may be overthinking things here.

Kakairo fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 3, 2015

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

Of course, Wallet works the first time I try it out after I complain about it. Still doesn't put the barcode on my wrist, though, and took twice as long to register. Stocard did nothing.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Apparently G Watch Rs are being "wound down," that is production has stopped. Strange decision by LG. Not sure if that makes mine more or less valuable.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...y-discontinued/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

Apparently G Watch Rs are being "wound down," that is production has stopped. Strange decision by LG. Not sure if that makes mine more or less valuable.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...y-discontinued/

Yeah, I'm sure your android device appreciated in value.