Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

I was hunting a Vegas line on this thing crashing when it dipped just after pulling up its gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Navy F/A-18E Super Hornet lands on aircraft carrier in rough seas with zero visibility

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

:catstare: that's loving impossible.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

:stonkhat:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
It looks like once he saw the island emerge from the fog he dove for the deck

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Scratch Monkey posted:

It looks like once he saw the island emerge from the fog he dove for the deck

That's pretty normal, from what I understand. Your landing gear is absorbing a lot of energy that would otherwise be forward inertia. You drop, converting some into downward inertia, and the gear bleeds it off.

He was obviously flying by the instruments.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Godholio posted:

That's pretty normal, from what I understand. Your landing gear is absorbing a lot of energy that would otherwise be forward inertia. You drop, converting some into downward inertia, and the gear bleeds it off.

Not really, you're targeting a stable (and aggressive) glideslope in order to precisely hit the landing area. I mean, yes, the landing gear is technically absorbing some of what would otherwise be forward momentum, but it's not like that's contributing to slowing you down much. Your vertical speed on touchdown is still only a small fraction of your overall velocity, and the cables and arresting engines are absorbing way more energy than your plane can.

One thing you absolutely don't do is dump the nose or cut power to try and drop it on the deck. Best case, it'll screw up your hook angle and you'll miss the wires. Worst case you fly it into the back of the boat, or you don't have enough power on for a bolter and drop it off the far end (keeping in mind that since jet engines take a few seconds to spool up, you're supposed to be hitting the deck with the throttles pushed up to max).

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Dumping the nose in any modern aircraft is asking for a disaster. Nose gears are fragile.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Nuclear Tourist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N3MNTT2hkc

Hezbollah laying the smackdown on ISIS with Humvees, M113's and an export Abrams.

How the gently caress did Hezbollah get a M1?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Chiwie posted:

They probably found it abandoned on the side of the road after the Iraqi army retreated

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
edit: or that ^^^

Jordan maybe?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Chiwie posted:

Kata'ib Hezbollah. Not Hezbollah Hezbollah.

But the difference between the Iraqi army and Shia militias is very, very thin.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Chiwie posted:

doubt thats a hezbollah tank, probably iraqi army in support of the militia since its flying iraq flags

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

Dumping the nose in any modern aircraft is asking for a disaster. Nose gears are fragile.

I don't know what you're

Oh.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Jordan maybe?

Jordan currently uses the Challenger I and M60A3. Right now they're undergoing a refit program to replace the Challenger turrets with a low-profile M60A2 "Starship Patton" turret while the M60A3s are being upgraded with M60-2000/Sabra style stuff that include 120mm guns and shoot-on-the-move.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Gold.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I'm trying to imagine an F-35 with this painted on it...

...And also an officer with a clipboard standing next to it, hyperventilating.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
That's the best nose art I've ever seen in my life.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
should have been buster hymen and the penetrators, that guy really whiffed the joke there

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

:stonklol: that's loving neat.

What's the flashing R-in-a-box on the right? Radar altimeter? Sink rate? I'm guessing the former...?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
"Ruh Roh"
______/

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Duke Chin posted:

:stonklol: that's loving neat.

What's the flashing R-in-a-box on the right? Radar altimeter? Sink rate? I'm guessing the former...?

Altimeter (in feet,) in the box, with an indicator for altimeter source, in this case, radar altimeter. Above it is the vertical speed, in feet/min.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

MrYenko posted:

Altimeter (in feet,) in the box, with an indicator for altimeter source, in this case, radar altimeter. Above it is the vertical speed, in feet/min.

That's what I thought, thx - I love how it's like a casual jaunt from 200 to 110-100 then OKAY DOWN WE GO

E: vvvvvvv :doh: derp.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 2, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Duke Chin posted:

That's what I thought, thx - I love how it's like a casual jaunt from 200 to 110-100 then OKAY DOWN WE GO

I'm not sure, but I read the jump from 100-30 as the plane flying over the edge of the carrier, and now the thing directly below the plane is much closer.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

bitcoin bastard posted:

I'm not sure, but I read the jump from 100-30 as the plane flying over the edge of the carrier, and now the thing directly below the plane is much closer.

This is correct. He's on a steady glideslope, the flight deck is about 60 feet above the water.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Can somebody tell me what that jumble of icons at the bottom the hud mean?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Those bottom-most notches are the bank scale + pointer, the circle with the upside-down T coming out of it is the velocity/flight path vector, and the constantly adjusting lines and pointer thingy is def some kind of landing/angle of attack related gizmo but I don't recognize it.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
:nws:http://i.imgur.com/YGbmU7j.png

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 2, 2015

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
"This is a desert," they said. "They'll melt in your pack," they said. Bitches ain't getting any of my marshmallows now.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That must smell wonderful.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
The literally and completely undeniable fact that keeping Saddam in power was retrospectively the best option is hilarious beyond all comparison.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
I should have known when my platoon sergeants pre-deployment briefing was basically the mission is b******* just make sure your buddies come home that this may not be the best war to fight.

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011

Not what I had in mind when he asked me if I wanted to help him roast some nuts.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 2, 2015

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

That's what happens when you mix pop rocks and coke

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

http://news.sky.com/story/1494560/british-tank-flattens-learner-drivers-car

quote:

A learner driver had a lucky escape after the front of her car was flattened by a British tank in Germany.

Police said the 18-year-old woman pulled out in front of a column of UK military vehicles in the town of Augustdorf, Lippe, on Monday. The driver of the first tank, a 24-year-old British serviceman, was unable to stop in time. His Challenger 2 tank rolled over the Toyota hatchback's bonnet, completely crushing it under its 62-tonne weight. Officers in Lippe released pictures of the crash, and said the teenage driver emerged from the wreckage unscathed.

They said the damage to her car was around 12,000 euros. There was no damage to the tank.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

There was no damage to the tank.

This makes me smile.

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
What are those things strapped to the front of the tank that look like 55-gallon drums?

please tell me its this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

terrez posted:

What are those things strapped to the front of the tank that look like 55-gallon drums?

please tell me its this

Fuel drums, and that's the back of the tank.

• Locked thread