Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Khaba posted:

So I've got a quick question for those who are quite far into the game/finished. I've been playing for about 60 hours now (according to in-game, but some of that has been sitting on a menu or something while I was doing other things) and I'm about to hit 16. I've been doing quests in Novigrad, mainly trying to clear up the quests that are at my recommended level or lower before moving on, though I keep seeming to accrue more and more quests that are below my level. That's fine, I'm enjoying them regardless of rewards, but where should I be?

It seems there's no specific linear progression, but should I have visited Skellige by now? Haven't touched it yet. Does it matter? I have to admit I'm really enjoying just doing the random quests with the nice little stories and whatnot. I've heard it's a huge game, but all the same I'm kind of worried that it'll just end on me sometime soon and I'll be disappointed.

Doesnt matter, you can go to skellige at level 5 if you want. Pretty sure there's poo poo tons of story content in skellige and beyond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Crappers posted:

Wholly poo poo that whole Witcher's drinking scene was so good. That was some legit buddy drinking poo poo and I laughed my rear end off. And whoever said Lambert went from being an rear end in a top hat to a likeable rear end in a top hat after that scene was completely right.

Question time: this has very likely been answered many times but this thread is too big. I'm assuming it will be made very clear when I reach the "point of no return" in regards to triggering some sort of end game quest?

I just started his questline and I'm curious why he's like, the only character with an incredibly American accent

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Khaba posted:

So I've got a quick question for those who are quite far into the game/finished. I've been playing for about 60 hours now (according to in-game, but some of that has been sitting on a menu or something while I was doing other things) and I'm about to hit 16. I've been doing quests in Novigrad, mainly trying to clear up the quests that are at my recommended level or lower before moving on, though I keep seeming to accrue more and more quests that are below my level. That's fine, I'm enjoying them regardless of rewards, but where should I be?

It seems there's no specific linear progression, but should I have visited Skellige by now? Haven't touched it yet. Does it matter? I have to admit I'm really enjoying just doing the random quests with the nice little stories and whatnot. I've heard it's a huge game, but all the same I'm kind of worried that it'll just end on me sometime soon and I'll be disappointed.
You are nowhere near the end of the game story wise.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Snuffman posted:

GWENT CHAT!

Gwent card question: I want to get a couple Thaler (Power 1 Spy), another of that 5(4?) power spy and another Siege Medic for my northern armies deck. Can I buy these cards somewhere or do I have to win them? I get the feeling "Spy" cards are only winnable. Using decoy with the medic and spies is so awesome. Seems to be the key to the Northern Armies deck.

EDIT: Ahhh...just answered my own question. Thaler card is on Skellege, there's only 1 spy card each and only 1 Siege Medic.

Is it just me or are monster decks fairly counterable as long as you have a cold/melee reducer card?

Also, what is up with that random rear end merchant in pondunk boat-town? His deck is packed full of heroes. Its like nothing I've ever seen! :aaa:

Can I buy heroes somewhere? Or do I have to win them? I have the autistic child left as a "master" challenge for Velen (havent left Velen yet, must. play. cards.).

Do the Gwent quests.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

MinibarMatchman posted:

I just started his questline and I'm curious why he's like, the only character with an incredibly American accent

All the wolf school witchers have american accents. Vesimir is a little mid-atlantic, but still clearly american.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

All the wolf school witchers have american accents. Vesimir is a little mid-atlantic, but still clearly american.

I haven't played any of the Witchers before this one so I'm assuming Kaer Mohren is essentially Alaska. I'm going to have to read on the Schools now because I don't know much beyond how Cat School is a bunch of assholes, if I recall Lambert's talk correctly.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

MinibarMatchman posted:

I haven't played any of the Witchers before this one so I'm assuming Kaer Mohren is essentially Alaska. I'm going to have to read on the Schools now because I don't know much beyond how Cat School is a bunch of assholes, if I recall Lambert's talk correctly.

Geralt mentions that the Cat and Viper schools basically turned into hired assassins.

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010

All the different locales in the game have their own distinct accents associated with them, which is something you miss out on if you play in anything other than EN.

Yea, as someone from N.Ireland, Skellige feels like uncanny valley for me, so many familiar accents. It's pretty cool.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Well, I'm no longer getting Gwent cards from random, previously unvisited vendors and inn keepers.

I have a couple of Gwent related quests left: Zoltan, that druid fellow in Skellige and the high stakes tourney.

Please tell me there's plenty more after that.

I hope the inevitable enhanced edition will add open Gwent tournaments or a Gwent horde mode.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Snuffman posted:

Is it just me or are monster decks fairly counterable as long as you have a cold/melee reducer card?

Can I buy heroes somewhere? Or do I have to win them? I have the autistic child left as a "master" challenge for Velen (havent left Velen yet, must. play. cards.).

Monster decks are heavily reliant on the front row so yeah, the freeze effect will cripple them if they don't have a way to remove it. Sometimes you can trick monster decks into playing all out in the first round too, wasting all of their horde cards and leaving themselves with nothing to win the next two rounds. Or wait for them to use the Eredin ability that applies war horn to the front row and then use Scorch to nuke a bunch of them all at once.

There's a handful of heroes you get at random from beating merchants but most of them are acquired through the various quests to play named characters, and you get a couple from a Zoltan side quest as well.

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011
Thanks for the answers, guys.

Glad to hear I have plenty of decisions to mess up, and by proxy, towns to accidentally curse/destroy.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Khaba posted:

It's totally okay and expected to be hilariously overpowered for the main quests. It's built into the design of the game: you will almost never hit a wall just progressing through one main quest to another, even on the hardest difficulty. So if you get bored of roaming around or you just want to find out what happens next you'll pretty much always be able to get back on the critical path with no hassle. The only thing you stand to lose is that it tends to suck a bit of the drama out of the last act if you aren't ever in any real danger, in which case you might want to consider notching up the difficulty level.

Also Novigrad owns just do everything in Novigrad.

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014

I got jaded on games not too long ago but this game does almost everything right.
Thanks for all the effort you and CDPR put into this.
And gently caress the whole lot of you for ruining the remnants of my social life.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
So, winning that horse race for Carver was pretty easy as the other horses didn't actually have anyone riding them. :haw:

Haven't read all of the new messages in this fast moving thread, so it might have been discussed already, but what's up with the House of Respite? I got inside wearing my Nilfgaardian clothes but there is nobody to talk to. Guess I'll have a reason to go there later?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Monster decks are heavily reliant on the front row so yeah, the freeze effect will cripple them if they don't have a way to remove it. Sometimes you can trick monster decks into playing all out in the first round too, wasting all of their horde cards and leaving themselves with nothing to win the next two rounds. Or wait for them to use the Eredin ability that applies war horn to the front row and then use Scorch to nuke a bunch of them all at once.

There's a handful of heroes you get at random from beating merchants but most of them are acquired through the various quests to play named characters, and you get a couple from a Zoltan side quest as well.

Sweet. Love me that Gwent. I spoiled myself, and the autistic kid will get me my first hero card. I'm assuming he won't be easy.

Need a Gwent iOS app STAT. MORE GWENT.

More Gwent chat:

What decks are y'all mostly using?

NovigradNilfgard looked powerful at first, with its tie-breaking but now that I've got my decoy/holding back cards/not dumping everything first round...Novigrad doesn't seem as good. My free card for winning seems way more powerful as Gwent is all about card advantage.

Monsters, as I said before seem way too weak against cold.

Scoiatel seems interesting. I like the whole pick which line the troops go in theme. Not enough cards to use it as a real deck, yet.

Northern Realms, with all its spies, seems like the best choice overall. :shrug:

EDIT: I still wouldn't mind Dice Poker, as much as its hated, popping up as or in DLC. Gwent is better, though.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 1, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Snuffman posted:

Sweet. Love me that Gwent. I spoiled myself, and the autistic kid will get me my first hero card. I'm assuming he won't be easy.

Need a Gwent iOS app STAT. MORE GWENT.

More Gwent chat:

What decks are y'all mostly using?

Novigrad looked powerful at first, with its tie-breaking but now that I've got my decoy/holding back cards/not dumping everything first round...Novigrad doesn't seem as good. My free card for winning seems way more powerful as Gwent is all about card advantage.

Monsters, as I said before seem way too weak against cold.

Scoiatel seems interesting. I like the whole pick which line the troops go in theme. Not enough cards to use it as a real deck, yet.

Northern Realms, with all its spies, seems like the best choice overall. :shrug:

I think Nilfgaard (stop saying Novigrad you sillyhead :)) has the same number of spies (four) as Northern Realms but they generally have higher attack values. And yeah, that +1 card ability is loving nice, as is siege Foltest.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Wrapped up the last main quest in Novigrad! I should probably move on to Skellige now but oh I just got this light-hearted sidequest "Cabaret" right afterwards, maybe I'll do that.

Oh Dandelion, you are so ridiculous. Sure I'll help you set up your cabaret buddy, chase your dreams, get with your girl. Ha ha we're acting out a robbery and racing horses this is great fun what the gently caress NO WHAT

And now I'm investigating a twisted serial killer haunting the streets of Novigrad. Jesus christ this game is just layers and layers of incredible all the way down.

I'm never getting to Skellige am I.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Gwent has a really cool thematic purpose as well, it seems. I mean it's obviously super meta and eventually just becomes another sideshow but I think its kind of the neat that the first Gwent match of note is a against a Nilfgaardian with a Nilfgaardian deck that seems completely overpowering to the lovely Temerian starter pack, and yet is eminently beatable with cleverness and a bit of luck. Winning that match is a fun way to be all "gently caress you" to all the smug Nilfgaardian nobles you've encountered so far if you're at all sentimental about Roche and the story of TW2.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

mcbexx posted:

Well, I'm no longer getting Gwent cards from random, previously unvisited vendors and inn keepers.

I have a couple of Gwent related quests left: Zoltan, that druid fellow in Skellige and the high stakes tourney.

Please tell me there's plenty more after that.

I hope the inevitable enhanced edition will add open Gwent tournaments or a Gwent horde mode.

When you stop getting Gwent cards from random merchants that means you've got all the cards that aren't found in specific places.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

I don't think much is ever said about the other schools in the franchise beyond cat was kinda psycho and no one is training new witchers.

The bits and pieces you find out about the witchers whose diagrams your collecting is the most insight we have about griffin and bear I think.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Crappers posted:

Wholly poo poo that whole Witcher's drinking scene was so good. That was some legit buddy drinking poo poo and I laughed my rear end off. And whoever said Lambert went from being an rear end in a top hat to a likeable rear end in a top hat after that scene was completely right.
The conversation Geralt has with Lambert a little earlier as they're sailing is when I started to warm to him.

G: "Fog's so thick, I can barely see the end of my nose."
L: "I had no idea you were so poetic."
G: "Oh but I am. Want to hear a limerick?"
L: "Sure."
G: "Lambert, Lambert, what a prick."
L: "Not bad."

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Snuffman posted:

GWENT CHAT!

Gwent card question: I want to get a couple Thaler (Power 1 Spy), another of that 5(4?) power spy and another Siege Medic for my northern armies deck. Can I buy these cards somewhere or do I have to win them? I get the feeling "Spy" cards are only winnable. Using decoy with the medic and spies is so awesome. Seems to be the key to the Northern Armies deck.

EDIT: Ahhh...just answered my own question. Thaler card is on Skellege, there's only 1 spy card each and only 1 Siege Medic.

Also, what is up with that random rear end merchant in pondunk boat-town? His deck is packed full of heroes. Its like nothing I've ever seen! :aaa:

GWENT SPOILER: if it's not a mission gwent game with some important player/a big quest but a simple game with a merchant, THE CARD YOU GAIN THE FIRST TIME YOU WIN IS RANDOMIZED. Didn't like the card you just gained? Reload.
Also yes fill your deck with antimelee weather cards if you play against a monster deck. Losing a round on purpose and getting the best cards back with decoys work well. Multiple "that dragon card" attacks thanks to decoy works too.
I am mostly using a northern kingdom with catapults, spies, heroes anti melee weather and decoy (for more spies) and the leader ability doubling the catapult damage. The Empire deck is nice once you have all the spies and the many "10" heroes, there are multiple "normal 10" ranged card you can double to 20 and medics too. My Scoia'tael is starting to becoming good but the monster deck requires you to have all the monsters card of the same types to be really effective. I hate those Vampire cards, mostly because they are all 4 except one so you can't burn them all at the same time and i really want to have them all in my deck.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 1, 2015

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hi guys!

I just wanted to drop by and say thanks to the folks who advised me (both here and in IRC) about this game. I didn't really know what to expect but I decided to take a chance on it. I've got it on the "Blood And Broken Bones" difficulty and was initially thrown by the learning curve (forgetting when to parry, or dodge, or roll, or use signs) and I died a fair few times.
One time that kinda pissed me off was when I decided to take on some wolves that were scaring people and a Nilf-asholio guard saw me and got pissed and killed me. I tried again, and when he aggro'ed on me I just ran like hell. So... I'm learning. I'm going to be reading a lot of tutorials online.

Everything you all have said to me about the voice acting and facial expressions is true. The game is very, very good-looking and I love the voice acting. The characters look fantastic, as does the country.

Unfortunately (not really) when I play RPGs I tend toward the hero/good guy persona, which is funny because when I helped that dwarf out I incidentally got a guy hanged. So I'm taking the G.R.R.M. approach, doing what I think is "right" and if someone gets hosed over, well I hope it's not me.

Anyway, it's funny walking around looking for people to talk to and getting insulted, spit at, and hissed at all the time. I'm not "taking it personally."

I played a fair bit last night and I'm still not very close to level 2, which is a bit of a bummer; but I'll deal with it. I do feel like the game is going to give me tons of hours of stuff to do and the combat, once I get more comfortable with it, seems to be mostly pretty satisfying.

Thanks folks, be seeing you when I inevitably get confused as hell and get stuck. I hope I can save often.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Is there a list and all the mini quests and where to find them? Online resources for this game seem scant still.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

GWENT SPOULER: if it's not a mission gwent game with some important player/a big quest but a simple game with a merchant, THE CARD YOU GAIN THE FIRST TIME YOU WIN IS RANDOMIZED. Didn't like the card you just gained? Reload.
Also yes fill your deck with antimelee weather cards if you play against a monster deck. Losing a round on purpose and getting the best cards back with decoys work well. Multiple "that dragon card" attacks thanks to decoy works too.
I am mostly using a northern kingdom with catapults, spies, heroes anti melee weather and decoy (for more spies) and the leader ability doubling the catapult damage. The Empire deck is nice once you have all the spies and the many "10" heroes, there are multiple "normal 10" ranged card you can double to 20 and medics too.

Oh yeah like I'm gonna reload a save and sit through Dandelion's narration again just to get a different card.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Triss "I would get tortured and risk my life to help my friends and you" Merigold vs. Yennifer "go get my stuff Geralt" of Vengerberg
what a choice
not

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
<3 <3 <3 Yennifer <3 <3 <3

People who prefer Triss are boring.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Toplowtech posted:

GWENT SPOULER: if it's not a mission gwent game with some important player/a big quest but a simple game with a merchant, THE CARD YOU GAIN THE FIRST TIME YOU WIN IS RANDOMIZED. Didn't like the card you just gained? Reload.

Hmm, so is it possible for me to get all the common cards by playing merchants alone? As in, unless I see a card I HAVE TO OWN, don't buy from merchants and Innkeeps?

Also, once I own the "all" of a common card (e.g Decoy), does it disappear from merchant stocks? I'm noticing everyone is selling Nilfguard cards now, which I've held off on buying cause I just got my Northern Realms deck sorted.

EDIT: Feel free to vaguely spoil me but I'm never going to be FORCED to use a particular deck, like in a tourney, am I?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

^^^i think it's just giving you a card randomly from a card list and it's made to be balanced if you play long enough. Also those merchants in cage you can free from the "person in danger" site go back to their village and you can play with most of them. Still haven't found where that Nilfgaard merchant went.
Also, no you aren't forced to use a specific deck at the big tournament. You just need a hero to enter and defeating other players there give you leader cards. The final game is relatively hard to win but far from impossible.

GrossMurpel posted:

Oh yeah like I'm gonna reload a save and sit through Dandelion's narration again just to get a different card.
You don't need to, really, but sometime the randomness can be pretty bad: my first three gained cards were all monsters card and i only was able to use a monster deck before getting out of Novigrad. Then i gained two catapults cards pretty soon after exiting the prologue area and it basically made gwent with the north kingdom leader super easy.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 1, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

Triss "I would get tortured and risk my life to help my friends and you" Merigold vs. Yennifer "go get my stuff Geralt" of Vengerberg
what a choice
not

Triss "I don't give a poo poo about Ciri and would rather side with the Lodge" Merigold vs Yennefer "immediately drop everything and flip off Philippa to go find Ciri" of Vengerberg.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
I've run into a problem where I had recipes for upgraded versions of some bombs (moon dust, dancing star) before I got the regular recipe, and when I got the regular version I apparently forgot the recipe for the upgraded ones. I'm not sure if I have to buy them again from a merchant because I haven't seen anyone selling those since.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

I've run into a problem where I had recipes for upgraded versions of some bombs (moon dust, dancing star) before I got the regular recipe, and when I got the regular version I apparently forgot the recipe for the upgraded ones. I'm not sure if I have to buy them again from a merchant because I haven't seen anyone selling those since.
The "potion recipes" chain of a specific potion disappear from the alchemy list after you make the higher potion you can possibly make because you won't need to make the potion again (since you will just refill it with alcohol). If you lose the potion for whatever reason, it will reappear and you can brew it again. If you gain a higher recipe it will suddenly reappear until you make the better potion.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 1, 2015

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

They are both pretty awesome, which is why the threesome thing was sad yet hilarious.

I laughed pretty hard though when you get back to Kaer Morhen for the first time and Vesemir is like "yeah Yen totally just threw a bed out of the window. I don't understand why."

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

recipes sometimes disappear, I don't think it's related to what order you got things in, it's a coincidence. I have the same bug, enhanced northern wind isn't in my list despite having it in my inventory, can't make enhanced white rafford's decoction after finally getting the nekker hearts, a couple others are missing.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Redheads man. Maybe it is you who are boring?

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Does the Witcher 3 ever resolve the dangling plot hook from Witcher 2?

Specifically, does anyone ever confront Yennefer over her apparent betrayal of the Lodge and northern kingdoms?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Levantine posted:

Redheads man. Maybe it is you who are boring?

triss never engages geralt in a pun-battle = super boring

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

This is a good point and I have to change my vote.

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010

I saw that dialogue choice and i was expecting her to just sigh and roll her eyes but was very amused when she joined in with gusto. It was a clever and subtle way to flesh out her character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I vote Rock Trolls as funniest character(s) of the year