Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Harry Lime posted:

Who in the gently caress thought a RAID 5 array of 10 1TB SATA 7.2K drives was a good idea. The array is now 43 hours into the rebuild and it's only 70% done. Bonus points, this array is split into 5 logical drives, one of which is C:\... Bonus points round 2, it's their backup media server which also houses the backup software config db. :psyboom:
Can you change the rebuild priority on the controller? Usually they default to run at background priority, and if the controller's busy doing system IO the rebuild will get basically ignored. You may lose a bit of performance on the front end while it rebuilds but... it will rebuild faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

evol262 posted:

That means you got shared storage and you're gonna re-use this servers to make stuff highly available, right? Not just virtualizing it on the new one?

Nope, although I have had storage on my mind. We're going to put another copy of Server 2012 on the existing server and keep it as a failover/backup for the main to get some actual disaster recovery going.

Currently we have on/offsite backups but no hardware replacement on hand, there's all sorts of options but of course it all boils down to being cheap. Fortunately this one has finally blown up in their face and leaves them no choice but to pay up.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Short timer syndrome is awesome.

:11tea: "Hey, we need you to run a change tonight."

:eng101: "No."

Apparently our director has some kind of emergency meeting today, and needs to meet with all of us on Monday about "Someting."

I'm guessing it has something to do with about 8 people (myself included) giving notice this week.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

Ursine Asylum posted:

But how will everyone appreciate my $(pop culture quote) notification sound if it's on silent? :(

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

nitrogen posted:

I'm guessing it has something to do with about 8 people (myself included) giving notice this week.

I may have missed it, but I'm gonna want some dirt on that. 8 people bugging out at once has to mean some outright dysfunctional institutional processes.

EDIT: OK, pulled a stalker on you in this thread and see "outsourcing" happened. But still for 8 people to give notice in the same week... was there some kind of tipping point that was reached, or was everyone's shield breached about the same time?

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 29, 2015

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

nitrogen posted:

Short timer syndrome is awesome.

:11tea: "Hey, we need you to run a change tonight."

:eng101: "No."

Apparently our director has some kind of emergency meeting today, and needs to meet with all of us on Monday about "Someting."

Yeah that sounds awesome. I always hope for an evil boss/company to get their comeuppance and it almost never happens! Well except for that time Sickening got 10K for like 15 minutes work. That was a feel good story of the decade.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Well except for that time Sickening got 10K for like 15 minutes work. That was a feel good story of the decade.
I never heard that one. Which thread was it in?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

flosofl posted:

I may have missed it, but I'm gonna want some dirt on that. 8 people bugging out at once has to mean some outright dysfunctional institutional processes.

EDIT: OK, pulled a stalker on you in this thread and see "outsourcing" happened. But still for 8 people to give notice in the same week... was there some kind of tipping point that was reached, or was everyone's shield breached about the same time?

A little bit of everything. I gave notice myself on Wednesday. My other sr. level coworher gave his notice 2 weeks ago and his last day is today, and I counted him in that 8. 2 of our virtualization people are leaving as a team to go to consult for vmware. One guy on the windows team gave notice last Friday and his last day will be teh same as mine, but doesn't have another job lined up. 3 more people on the storage team gave notice today after their move to another team was denied due to the fact they were "needed" to train the outsourcers. They are starting theur own consulting company, or so I heard.

Basically, the tl;dr is that we got a new vp last year who destroyed her last company, and was apparently hired to somehow do the exact opposite to our department. Her ideas to "save" us (we were gartner magic quadrant leaders 2 years ago, and went to "challengers" last year due to all this meddling) was:

1) outsource all these expensive local people that have various clearances required by our many customers to pepole in India that are unable to get those clearances.
2) Start RIF's with as little explanation as to what's going on.
3) Do absolutely nothing to quash any rumors
4) spend nearly a billion dollars on a replacement cloud product that requires 48 hours of downtime to upgrade vs the "old, legacy" ones we built before we were acquired that never really needed any?
etc etc...

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Yeah that sounds awesome. I always hope for an evil boss/company to get their comeuppance and it almost never happens! Well except for that time Sickening got 10K for like 15 minutes work. That was a feel good story of the decade.

Do tell.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

nitrogen posted:

A little bit of everything. I gave notice myself on Wednesday. My other sr. level coworher gave his notice 2 weeks ago and his last day is today, and I counted him in that 8. 2 of our virtualization people are leaving as a team to go to consult for vmware. One guy on the windows team gave notice last Friday and his last day will be teh same as mine, but doesn't have another job lined up. 3 more people on the storage team gave notice today after their move to another team was denied due to the fact they were "needed" to train the outsourcers. They are starting theur own consulting company, or so I heard.

Basically, the tl;dr is that we got a new vp last year who destroyed her last company, and was apparently hired to somehow do the exact opposite to our department. Her ideas to "save" us (we were gartner magic quadrant leaders 2 years ago, and went to "challengers" last year due to all this meddling) was:

1) outsource all these expensive local people that have various clearances required by our many customers to pepole in India that are unable to get those clearances.
4) spend nearly a billion dollars on a replacement cloud product that requires 48 hours of downtime to upgrade vs the "old, legacy" ones we built before we were acquired that never really needed any?
etc etc...

God drat. I've also had a front row seat to the movie "The Company That Ate Itself" thank's to hiring a C-level with a reputation of short term savings at the cost of long-term survivability. I always wonder how do these poo poo-house architects keep getting jobs? Well, I actually know, it just never makes sense to me.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
He blew me, and it was more like 8 minutes.

Too soon?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571852&pagenumber=118&perpage=40#post427114734 [h/t Evol262 who found the post]

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

It definitely wasn't the feel good story of the decade but it was a high point in the roller coaster that was my previous employment.

Beaten by the link... too fast arg.

There was a debate about buying a boat and i let goons talk me out of it and we planned to take a vacation to Europe instead. After taxes though it seemed all the money went towards a baby so whomp whomp.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571852&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=119#post427121954

Way better summary.

Nice hourly rate there. I can't imagine how he must have sputtered when your quote went from 1500 -> close to 10k.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 29, 2015

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Sickening posted:

It definitely wasn't the feel good story of the decade but it was a high point in the roller coaster that was my previous employment.

Beaten by the link... too fast arg.

There was a debate about buying a boat and i let goons talk me out of it and we planned to take a vacation to Europe instead. After taxes though it seemed all the money went towards a baby so whomp whomp.

Man, I just want to say, as someone who follows this thread purely for the schadenfreude and good stories (hell, I don't understand 95% of the tech talk, I don't need to know what a nat entry is) , that's a really satisfying read. Being better prepared/able to offer more to your child/hell, this making having a kid financially possible/responsible is really drat good. Still though, as a European I can really recommend a trip across the ocean, but that might best be saved for when your kid can appreciate it.

A kid or a trip to Europe would've been better than buying a boat, though, I agree with your better half. What were you thinking? Boats are for people who already have more than enough money to spend on their kids and trips to Europe and stuff.

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

Aunt Beth posted:

Can you change the rebuild priority on the controller? Usually they default to run at background priority, and if the controller's busy doing system IO the rebuild will get basically ignored. You may lose a bit of performance on the front end while it rebuilds but... it will rebuild faster.

Something I'll keep in mind next time since the rebuild finished in a lightning quick 56 hours. Since last posting about it I've learned more fun facts about this server including that no less than a month ago two drives were in predictive failure. Oh and that the server is is out of warranty and not under the third party service contract with all the other servers the client has. The first time the third party replaced the drives as time and materials pretty much as a favor. This go around it was only because the failed drive was one of the ones they replaced last month. Its pretty much a bomb waiting to go off that will take all the client's backups with it.
:shepicide:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Robert Half. Bunch of crooks. Avoid them.

Coworker is looking for a new job. Apparently he applied for something with Robert Half.

I get a call from one of their folks.
:cry: "Hey, do you have $COWORKER that works for you?"
:eng101: "Uh, these kinds of calls really need to go to HR, here's the number..."
:cry: "Oh, no. I just wanted to let you know that according to him, he's making $SALARY. I also wanted to let you know that I have engineers available that will do his job for ($SALARY*.60) if you're interested.
:eng101: "gently caress you, I hope you get raped by a balrog. If you ever call here again, I'll go looking for one."
:cry: *sputters line clicks*

tl;dr: Robert Half will use job listings and salary info they receive to call your current place of employment to try and replace you cheaper.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

nitrogen posted:

Coworker is looking for a new job. Apparently he applied for something with Robert Half.

:eng101: "Uh, these kinds of calls really need to go to HR, here's the number..."
:cry: "Oh, no. I just wanted to let you know that according to him, he's making $SALARY. I also wanted to let you know that I have engineers available that will do his job for ($SALARY*.60) if you're interested.
:eng101: "gently caress you, I hope you get raped by a balrog. If you ever call here again, I'll go looking for one."

tl;dr: Robert Half will use job listings and salary info they receive to call your current place of employment to try and replace you cheaper.

When I used them a bunch of years ago, they asked me for my references then called them all immediately to see if more work was available, saying that I had recommended they do so. gently caress Robert Half.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

nitrogen posted:

That's appalling. Though what's worse is that presumably it must work sometimes.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

That's why don't give out references until after the interview.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

That's why don't give out references until after the interview.

Yeah, I certainly learned my lesson.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

nitrogen posted:

This is really bizarre. I've used them, as well as many of my friends, and we've all had nothing but good experiences. I'm in the NJ/NYC area, so maybe other locations are worse?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

This is really bizarre. I've used them, as well as many of my friends, and we've all had nothing but good experiences. I'm in the NJ/NYC area, so maybe other locations are worse?

Maybe y'all were the underpaid half.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

They may have a franchise thing going where each office is a world unto itself, and some of them are clearly lovely worlds full of assholes.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Worked over the weekend to finish a site for my brothers company, first thing this morning wasn't a "Good morning or thank you" it was "THESE ROLLOVERS DON'T WORK BLARGH."

Hey man, gently caress off, I forgot to add TWO LINES OF CODE. A simple good morning would have been nice before saying "Hey, there's a tiny problem."

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MJBuddy posted:

Maybe y'all were the underpaid half.

Dunno, about them, but I'm easily paid what I'm worth in this market. When I first met with RH, two jobs ago and told them my salary, the guy straight up laughed at me, and said "wow, I can double that, no problem" and he did. Then the next job I went to it went up another 25%. I'm really happy with them.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

nitrogen posted:

Had a recruiter call me "to find out a little more about" me and wanted references right off the bat - told him that if he called them and tried to solicit work from them that I would find him and make him regret the moment he came out of his mamma's womb. He hung up when I asked him if he still wanted them.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

nitrogen posted:

I've had nothing but awful experiences with the local branch (SF Bay Area), up to and including feeling like the (female, slightly ditzy) recruiter thought I could be manipulated with food, flirting, and etc.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Food?

What was the name of that recruiter? :slurp:

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

If you're in NYC, consider using Kforce. Fantastic experience with them throughout the entire interview and hiring process, landed a position in the city with their help.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

sfwarlock posted:

I've had nothing but awful experiences with the local branch (SF Bay Area), up to and including feeling like the (female, slightly ditzy) recruiter thought I could be manipulated with food, flirting, and etc.

I always have to take it with a grain of salt when I see "manipulated" in these threads, because I can never tell if it's "actual schmoozing" or "being social".

I had a couple lunches out with my last recruiter, both before and after he got me my current job. (Realistically, though, why would you say no to a good 'business lunch' in the Bay on the company dollar?)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

sfwarlock posted:

There is such a thing as a free lunch, just don't sign anything. I really wish the rejection hotline or outsource-a-friend were still up, because those are really great to give to recruiters.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tailored Sauce posted:

If you're in NYC, consider using Kforce. Fantastic experience with them throughout the entire interview and hiring process, landed a position in the city with their help.

Cool. I'm not looking for a job at the moment, but I'll call them. Can I namedrop you to get you a referral bonus or something? If so, PM me.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

nitrogen posted:

etc etc...

My CFO is a consultant from a firm specializing in "turnarounds and preparing companies for buyout." His previous work was consulting at several logistics companies in Africa and some parts of Canada. The number of companies that were purchased or merged was very much non-zero.

Given how many more people we've hired strictly to service our one major produce-company client, I think he's trying to set us up to be bought out by them. Which, given that they have a big-rear end internal IT department, probably means I'd be gone.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
Trying to hire people really sucks, quite frankly. You don't know what you're in for, and about half the time it is some moron who has no idea what he's doing. The other half of the time it is one of those guys who works too hard/fast & doesn't really get the whole 'desk job' thing.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

A3th3r posted:

Trying to hire people really sucks, quite frankly. You don't know what you're in for, and about half the time it is some moron who has no idea what he's doing. The other half of the time it is one of those guys who works too hard/fast & doesn't really get the whole 'desk job' thing.

I'm both, I get one small project that is supposed to be 2-3 weeks work every 1/2 year then I work crazy on it because *wow* actual work and can be interesting. I have no idea what I'm doing and that kind of makes it interesting.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

nitrogen posted:

So.. what was the meeting about. :allears:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Crowley posted:

So.. what was the meeting about. :allears:

Nitrogen's inexcusably loud gas passing

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Basically, summed up:

"OH! We were NEVER planning on having INDIA replace everyone!! I don't know where you got THAT idea. Oh, from managers who told you that? That's odd. Don't pay attention to the rumor mill."

"Please don't leave, we can't handle losing all the sr. level people who know how everything works!"

"The RIF's SHOULD be done after September, but I can't promise that."

"Oh, you all are important to the company! Very important! Wait, raises or a bonus for putting up with all this poo poo? No, I dont think so."

"People who are leaving are hurting the company, dont be one of those people. Things will get better, but no specific promises."

EDIT:

Volmarias posted:

Nitrogen's inexcusably loud gas passing

This has been a known thing since 3 months after I started, no putting a cork in it now.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

nitrogen posted:

Basically, summed up:

"OH! We were NEVER planning on having INDIA replace everyone!! I don't know where you got THAT idea. Oh, from managers who told you that? That's odd. Don't pay attention to the rumor mill."

"Please don't leave, we can't handle losing all the sr. level people who know how everything works!"

"The RIF's SHOULD be done after September, but I can't promise that."

"Oh, you all are important to the company! Very important! Wait, raises or a bonus for putting up with all this poo poo? No, I dont think so."

"People who are leaving are hurting the company, dont be one of those people. Things will get better, but no specific promises."

So a total of 0 people that were quitting are now going to stay because of these wonderful bonuses you're going to get, right?