Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Kyte posted:

I'd assume disabling Steam Workshop would disable autoupdates. Disabling mods is done with the --disableMods switch, anyways.

But C:S doesn't handle the updates, Steam does through its update system. Passing `-noWorkshop` makes me think it wouldn't load Workshop mods. I'm not at my PC to play with it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Just a hunch, but try setting your configurations to default or wiping your config files (should be in Users/AppData/Local/Colossal Order/...). Also you might as well check behind the Workshop and make sure the mod was actually removed in its entirety, and try local file verification if that doesn't stick.

It was a good idea, but no luck unfortunately. Already tried verifying several times.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If this works it's going to change everything. He's just using the sc4 themes as placeholders but it sounds like he wants to make it so you can use euro buildings or vanilla buildings plus sort custom assets into themes.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Baronjutter posted:

If this works it's going to change everything. He's just using the sc4 themes as placeholders but it sounds like he wants to make it so you can use euro buildings or vanilla buildings plus sort custom assets into themes.

I can imagine the load times being a bit crazy if it works. Or would it significantly increase RAM usage having two sets of buildings loaded?

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

ToastyPotato posted:

I can imagine the load times being a bit crazy if it works. Or would it significantly increase RAM usage having two sets of buildings loaded?
The base game handles this with different industrial zones just fine, so I doubt that it'd have much impact.

Shanakin posted:

It was a good idea, but no luck unfortunately. Already tried verifying several times.
:smith: drat. If your drivers 'n all are updated, try running with the "-noWorkshop" argument. Else it's full wipe and reinstall or pray for a fix in the next patch/hotfix.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 31, 2015

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Kraven Moorhed posted:

The base game handles this with different industrial zones just fine, so I doubt that it'd have much impact.

The specialized industrial zones have a much smaller range of unique buildings. I would expect loading all the vanilla buildings plus all the Euro buildings at the same time to use a substantial amount of additional RAM. If you have enough physical RAM (or maybe specifically VRAM?) to handle that, though, my best guess is that it wouldn't have any major performance impacts.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I've been able to get by with 3-400 unique buildings without any serious problems using only 8 gigs of ram. I think that allowing for the development of the game's original set of high density buildings in the European tile set and vice versa shouldn't be much of an issue.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It kind of just depends on how the game loads the buildings :shrug: It might be fine just having a Euro theme but people are probably going to have to be careful once there's like 5 themes each with tons of buildings in them. I kind of doubt the game has to load all potential buildings into the RAM like that (considering I have 4gb on this PC and it runs like butter) but only the devs know how it works I guess.

Either way, I fully support themes by district.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

It kind of just depends on how the game loads the buildings :shrug: It might be fine just having a Euro theme but people are probably going to have to be careful once there's like 5 themes each with tons of buildings in them. I kind of doubt the game has to load all potential buildings into the RAM like that (considering I have 4gb on this PC and it runs like butter) but only the devs know how it works I guess.

Either way, I fully support themes by district.

The devs themselves have said that this was never planned by them. They had no intentions of bridging the two styles in the base game. They may end up with a massive free project with hours and hours of QA done for them when it's all said and done.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mods/assets are loving weird. I downloaded some of those "brushes" for concrete and farms and such and my game wouldn't load. So I delete them and the game would load. I subribed to a few one and a time until I got to the 4x4 tiled brush and that was doing it. I can download almost every brush from the mega-pack except that one. Why? gently caress you that's why.

Anyone use these? Even with nopillars mod they're a pain to place and constantly don't fit or try to demolish each other. And placing them in water-view mode is extremely stupid. There's got to be a way to get them freely-placeable and not in water mode.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

My mod panel is now completely blank and nothing I do will make them show up. Interesting.

Baronjutter posted:

Anyone use these? Even with nopillars mod they're a pain to place and constantly don't fit or try to demolish each other. And placing them in water-view mode is extremely stupid. There's got to be a way to get them freely-placeable and not in water mode.

I'm using them.

It's a pain, yeah, I'd like it if the guy who made the brushes implemented them as freely placed parks. Right now I'm pretty sure it's not even worth it.

e: My plan to create a Vienna-esque ringstrasse and public squares is coming along fairly well.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 1, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm trying to make some soviet style apartment suburbs. With the building picker tool and the level control mod I can copy paste buildings then lock them. I have to "farm" them first to assemble a pallet of buildings to work from which can be a little bit of a chore but it works. There's a russian dude on the workshop who makes a lot of these sort of buildings.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

love this river valley map.

powatan valley master race

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
I'd like to see building styles automatically change with architectural fashions as your city gets older, rather than each blob of green being exactly the same. Demolished buildings should be replaced with the newer stuff.

Also:
mixed-use zones
one-lane roads
cycle lanes
parallel roading merging
real roundabouts
people to actually use passenger rail
dual carriageways, halfway between a highway and an off-ramp
highways that go in both directions
curved roads not loving up the zoning squares
being able to place buildings and put the road in afterwards
different types of two-lane roads, a narrow residential one and a wider, faster main road
steps on pedestrian walkways
trams
junction priorities so there aren't lights/give ways everywhere there shouldn't be
factories not putting pollution everywhere so you can have factories at the end of a street of houses like in the olden days
bus lanes
parking being more than a cosmetic
free public transport actually making more people use it
swimming pools, gyms etc
parks and farms being a zone rather than a building
MONORAILS

I guess I really want C:S II

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

For anyone else having issues with their mod panel being blank, subscribing to a mod while the panel is open, closing the panel, and then reopening temporarily fixes the issue.

Baronjutter posted:

I'm trying to make some soviet style apartment suburbs. With the building picker tool and the level control mod I can copy paste buildings then lock them. I have to "farm" them first to assemble a pallet of buildings to work from which can be a little bit of a chore but it works. There's a russian dude on the workshop who makes a lot of these sort of buildings.

Needs more weird greenspace, imo.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Fish Fry Andy posted:

My mod panel is now completely blank and nothing I do will make them show up. Interesting.

Got the same issue. Haven't found a solution yet but do post if you find one.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Shanakin posted:

Got the same issue. Haven't found a solution yet but do post if you find one.

Uh.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

For anyone else having issues with their mod panel being blank, subscribing to a mod while the panel is open, closing the panel, and then reopening temporarily fixes the issue.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So yeah, this game has gotten me obsessed with traffic patterns. I'm now entirely too addicted to ensuring that traffic is flowing smoothly, which is problematic for one particular reason: I SUCK AT TRAFFIC FLOW.

Still, I like roundabouts. They are pretty.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Gonkish posted:

So yeah, this game has gotten me obsessed with traffic patterns. I'm now entirely too addicted to ensuring that traffic is flowing smoothly, which is problematic for one particular reason: I SUCK AT TRAFFIC FLOW.

Still, I like roundabouts. They are pretty.

Roundabouts can be useful in the right places. Highway roundabouts in high traffic areas, ramp roundabouts in low traffic areas. Two-lane road roundabouts in middle-traffic areas.

I've been using this on a low-density city:

Works pretty well but I had to get rid of all roundabouts in the high-density commercial area on the left because they just deadlocked. In the high density commercial, I had all the traffic going into and out of the middle route to the big roundabout until I replaced the normal road with a ramp only going south. Traffic going out of the commercial area back to the big roundabout now has to go either left or right. Splitting traffic up like this normally works better than letting them all go through the easiest route.

Connecting roads to the highway roundabouts with ramps works better for some reason because the traffic just keeps driving instead of stopping.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Zoning in high-density residential one square at a time lets you put together some nice old-style tenement apartment slums.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Those would be gentrified so fast.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

Those would be gentrified so fast.

All you need is a Trader Joe's ploppable to seal the deal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looks a bit like the town near me, only the streets run the other way. And it is actually a fairly low-rent part of town, somewhat oddly, despite being very accessible to one of the nicest seafronts in the area and with a spectacular clifftop view at the end of the road.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Redditor discovers lines of code referring to Subcultures, such as hippies, rednecs and gangstas. New DLC coming?

http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/382ujf/subculture_dlc_hint/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Considering it's tied to districts I'm going to guess it's less of a game mechanic and more of a visual thing.. maybe like the high tech housing policy?

It would be cooler if it's a precursor to making crime an actual problem though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Managing different sub populations seems like a pretty simple way to add some engagement in your neighborhood building so I hope its not just widget or theme related.

Side conversation does high tech housing policy actually add widgets? I thought level 5 residential just came with the widgets because they weren't sure how to make a top tier aesthetic that wasn't house of the future.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pretty sure high tech housing adds solar panels and things, at least in the low density.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm almost certain all it does is give a little boost to land value satisfaction. The solar panels gimmick is just a thing buildings get more and more of as they level up. For the euro set it's about the only change buildings have as they level.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Solar panels is actually an education thing, they ripped that from SC2013.

But high tech housing can let you skip the education requirement and get solar panels right away.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A hippy district would be pretty far out man.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Poil posted:

It's only a proper hippie district if it is founded on occupied land that belongs to the military! Don't ruin my immersion CO, tia!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Poil posted:

We've already got the Recreational Use policy!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

As long as it isn't like "City Life" where people from slightly different cultures and classes need to be strictly segregated or they start literal class/culture wars against each other.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Looks a bit like the town near me, only the streets run the other way. And it is actually a fairly low-rent part of town, somewhat oddly, despite being very accessible to one of the nicest seafronts in the area and with a spectacular clifftop view at the end of the road.

This is actually something that bothers me a bit -- I wish certain areas of the map were marked "scenic" and had an additional bonus to land value and lesiure. It could be a resource like oil/fertile plains that just adds value instead.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah the land value mechanic is totally non-intuitive and adds nothing to the game. If they got rid of it entirely the game wouldn't suffer at all, then one day replace it with something that makes sense and is interesting.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

Redditor discovers lines of code referring to Subcultures, such as hippies, rednecs and gangstas. New DLC coming?

http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/382ujf/subculture_dlc_hint/

Initial caveat: I know it's just rumors, this is all speculation and extrapolation. With that said...

The example subcultures from that post don't give me a lot of hope for a great game addition. How do you build a system around what are practically stereotypes that isn't stupidly cartoonish or caricatured in a borderline-offensive way? Like, what does the "gangsta" subculture want, low value and high crime? Lots of basketball courts? Do the hippies drive around in tie-dyed Mystery Machines and only live in areas with legal weed? Do rednecks demand run-down trailers in an agricultural district? Even if they manage not to do anything gross, I don't really want a bunch of visually exaggerated neighborhood theme parks.

I think divisions that cut across what we tend to think of as "subcultures" - which are often tied up in race, ethnicity, and heavy social issues in ways that seem at best difficult to address in a city sim game if not outright ill-advised - would be more interesting for gameplay while also posing much less danger of being done hamfistedly. So use broader categories like economic class and general political leaning, and give existing demographic factors like age and education more impact. Provide more ability to interact with them, too.

For example, wealthy conservative retired seniors would want districts that are mostly quiet low-density residential with parks, plenty of medical coverage, and no legalized drugs. Young liberal poor working people would want a district with low-to-mid land values, high-density residential, lots of commercial and office zoning, legal weed, and a mandatory recycling policy. Add some new policies like paratransit services for the older folks, relaxed liquor licensing to create night spots for younger people, blanket speed limit reductions to appeal to families, and so on to give more ways to cater to specific groups outside of simple infrastructure and zoning choices.

That would give you mechanical depth without reducing competing social priorities to flat stereotypes, and you would still get emergent neighborhood character without resorting to "every business in this district is a coffee shop" or "this part of town is constantly obscured by a haze of pot smoke" or "all the houses here have Rebel flags." Not to say that kind of outlandish presentation is objectively wrong, but it's not appealing to me, and it seems more likely to stir up poo poo for whatever that's worth.

VVV It was linked a few posts up and was the main topic of conversation, so I didn't think I needed to link it again! Edited it in anyway just in case....

Supraluminal fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 1, 2015

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah the land value mechanic is totally non-intuitive and adds nothing to the game. If they got rid of it entirely the game wouldn't suffer at all, then one day replace it with something that makes sense and is interesting.

I agree entirely, right now it mostly seems to be a "is this area dense and also has it been here for a while." This is a good example off reddit of somewhere with low land values where they should actually be astronomical:

Supraluminal posted:

Initial caveat: I know it's just rumors, this is all speculation and extrapolation. With that said...

I was confused by this, but for anyone else who is interested, here's the link.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Either way I hope someone mods in a goon subculture.

JerikTelorian posted:

I agree entirely, right now it mostly seems to be a "is this area dense and also has it been here for a while." This is a good example off reddit of somewhere with low land values where they should actually be astronomical:
Yeah, I've tried to build high value areas but it doesn't work as expected at all. Instead you need a lot of flat land to hide everything behind service buildings.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Supraluminal posted:

Yeah this was the main focus of "City Life" the game that came before Cities XL. It entirely focused around a few types of cultures with different needs but they also HATE each other.

The red lines show groups who do not want to be near each other and will actually erupt into violence if in the same neighbourhood. It was all stupid stereotypes and turned the game into a silly geographic puzzle game where you'd build a city that had all the classes of people but had them nicely segregated. You couldn't just build one class of people because you'd need blue collars to be police and fire and run garbage trucks and you'd need fringes to work retail and coffee shops and all that. This just meant that the already limited selection of buildings was made worse by them never mixing, you'd have all the suburban-house blue collar buildings in one zone, all the low-density fringe row-houses in another zone, all the stark business like Suit towers in one spot, and so on.

I really really hope they don't try to do anything close to what City Life tried to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:psyduck:

Whoever thought a game that promotes segregation to such a degree would be a good idea?