Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hihohe posted:

Hah if you fight the final boss again all the dialogue is changed so its like he escaped whered did he get another machine :iiam:

I'm gonna kill the final boss a few more times just to hear that final section music again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Thoughts on the final boss
The final boss was so good because it was essentially a standard level disguised as a boss fight. All of the bosses are "remember the pattern, add more stuff, speed up the pattern" but also the fact that unlike all the other bosses it was ALSO a platforming level. The last bit of it on the really narrow platform was just cruel but so so good.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
I am now part of the "beat the final boss" club and everyone is right -- it was amazing and epic and all of those adjectives that sound like exaggerations normally but in this case are 100% on the mark (and maybe even inadequate, actually).

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Supercar Gautier posted:

Continued interest is the exact reason they're doing it.

Some people (including reviewers!) have assumed the maps aren't all done yet and they rushed the game out early, but that's obviously not true; two of the new maps are visibly finished in single-player, and a third drops tonight. It's purely a design choice.

Yeah, there's no way they're completing content a few days after launch. It's totally already all done.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Cyron posted:

I Got a question about amiibo's, how useful is the amiibo for splatoon? like it not having one game breaking or can I live without one?

You can live without one. That said, the Squid Amiibo comes with Squid Beat, an unlockable rhythm game that also doubles as a way to listen to the music without any battling or fooling around or whatever which is really nice for the peeps who want to listen to the game's music. (And it's not even that hard to get given all the missions pertaining to unlocking this minigame are Kraken TTs... though you will need to clear the 4th world.)

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I keep getting paired with people who think the way to win Arowana Mall is to hang back and meticulously ink the starting area while the other team takes total control of the middle.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Keiya posted:

I keep getting paired with people who think the way to win Arowana Mall is to hang back and meticulously ink the starting area while the other team takes total control of the middle.

Uninked ground chargers your special quicker.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
^^^^

Yeah, but you can do it as you go. Not hang back and let them take the middle.

Keiya posted:

Especially if they are not rollers and they try this poo poo. :argh:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Thoughts on the final boss
The final boss was so good because it was essentially a standard level disguised as a boss fight. All of the bosses are "remember the pattern, add more stuff, speed up the pattern" but also the fact that unlike all the other bosses it was ALSO a platforming level. The last bit of it on the really narrow platform was just cruel but so so good.

You don't have to stand on the narrow platforms for the last part. He will still attack you from a distance.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Keiya posted:

I still think one major change they ought to make is to ink a portion of your home base by default at the start of the game.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Mill Village posted:

You don't have to stand on the narrow platforms for the last part. He will still attack you from a distance.

I just stayed to one side, and straifed to the opposite side each time he killer wailed. I guess I could have done it the otherway but I AINT afraid of his wasabi beats

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Drastic Actions posted:

^^^^

Yeah, but you can do it as you go. Not hang back and let them take the middle.

Especially if they are not rollers and they try this poo poo. :argh:

Ughhhh I hate it when I've got a roller and non-rollers are trying do to the starting area. It's like, dudes, I GOT THIS. GO AWAY

dragon enthusiast posted:

I still think one major change they ought to make is to ink a portion of your home base by default at the start of the game.

No way, I love that these are easy points and that some people straight out ignore inking that part of the map. It's enough to win a really close match.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Infinitum posted:

I'm gonna kill the final boss a few more times just to hear that final section music again

Are the vocals in Splatoon like the pseudo-Swedish in Magicka, where there's random (in this case Japanese) words mixed in so it's not just complete gibberish?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhOXo9w9jGM

Donnerberg posted:

Are the vocals in Splatoon like the pseudo-Swedish in Magicka, where there's random (in this case Japanese) words mixed in so it's not just complete gibberish?

I'd assume so.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

New video showing off Ranked Play/King of the Hill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uMi_eD6Ng4

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

oopsie rock posted:

No way, I love that these are easy points and that some people straight out ignore inking that part of the map. It's enough to win a really close match.

I'd rather players go out and start working on contestable ground rather than standing around shaking their dicks in the corner

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

oopsie rock posted:

Yeah one of the first games I played my team lost Saltspray Rig by 0.1% and I noticed at the end that none of us had painted the platform you start on

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Infinitum posted:

New video showing off Ranked Play/King of the Hill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uMi_eD6Ng4

This looks fun as hell. Its going to create focus points which is what turf war is lacking.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

I'd rather players go out and start working on contestable ground rather than standing around shaking their dicks in the corner

I've won matches because people completely ignore an entire path from their base so thanks for making it easier I guess!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

kojicolnair posted:

I've won matches because people completely ignore an entire path from their base so thanks for making it easier I guess!

Well I mean, if the base and some immediate area started out pre-painted this wouldn't be a issue anymore.

Also from that splat zone video, looks like the weird counter under your score is extra hold time until your clock actually starts counting down? What causes the number to be what it is?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

kojicolnair posted:

As a roller, what I usually do is make a direct path to the middle of the field. Usually that's enough to build up the special meter. Then, if/when I die and get reset, I go back and get those other areas, since I need to build up the special meter again. Problem solved! :v:

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

As a roller, what I usually do is make a direct path to the middle of the field. Usually that's enough to build up the special meter. Then, if/when I die and get reset, I go back and get those other areas, since I need to build up the special meter again. Problem solved! :v:

I've had a huge problem as a roller with people following me too closely. Like screw off and let me paint in peace, I don't need you to babysit me while spraying the walls or whatever.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
It's not that inking the start is bad, but when three people are doing that while the other team takes control of the map and inks back at their leisure, it's kind of a pain.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Well I mean, if the base and some immediate area started out pre-painted this wouldn't be a issue anymore.

Also from that splat zone video, looks like the weird counter under your score is extra hold time until your clock actually starts counting down? What causes the number to be what it is?

From what I can tell, for whichever team controls a majority of the zone, their counter begins to go down. Whoever gets to zero first, wins.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Theoretically you and your teammates are going to get splatted at some point, so there will be opportunities to cover those missed spots at the base later. At the very start, racing out to claim and hold key points can be pretty valuable.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Splatzones was explained in some direct or something I saw a while ago its basically this:

1. You control the zone your timer goes down.
2. You lose control, it stops.
3. The opponent gets FULL control you get a penalty counter. The penalty counter isn't counted against you if the match goes to time, but when you regain control of the zone, it takes down first before your nonpenalty one ticks down. The lower your regular counter, the higher the penalty.

Who ever gets to zero or has the least time on their regular timer at the end of the round wins. I think it is also 5 minute matches instead of 3, but I could be making that up.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I know this isn't really the place to ask, but I've been waiting about an hour at the installation screen with no real sign of progress. All I see is the bedroom with the splatoon logo and the same drum riff again and again. Is this the normal installation time or did my game mess up royally?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Keiya posted:

It's not that inking the start is bad, but when three people are doing that while the other team takes control of the map and inks back at their leisure, it's kind of a pain.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Theoretically you and your teammates are going to get splatted at some point, so there will be opportunities to cover those missed spots at the base later. At the very start, racing out to claim and hold key points can be pretty valuable.

I said awhile back I think the ideal strat is 3 guys with blasters (or 1 charger) holding the middle ASAP and pushing into enemy territory to put them on the defensive while you have one roller guy running around painting all the territory behind the front.

Problem is with random matches you can't be that co-ordinated. For pre-made games I think that'll be the best opening strategy, although with pre-mades and co-ordination they might be smart enough to try to split up and push into your territory rather than get bottled up.

Dr. Hurt posted:

I know this isn't really the place to ask, but I've been waiting about an hour at the installation screen with no real sign of progress. All I see is the bedroom with the splatoon logo and the same drum riff again and again. Is this the normal installation time or did my game mess up royally?

I don't even remember an installation. Something's hosed :ohdear:

Pressing L and R does nothing, right?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Dr. Hurt posted:

That's not an installation screen, that's the load screen, and if you've reached it then the game is already installed (unless you have a physical copy in which case there is no installation process at all). It should be safe to shut off the system and try again. Contact Nintendo if things keep going wrong.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 1, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dr. Hurt posted:

That sounds like a fubar

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

That's not an installation screen, that's the load screen, and if you've reached it then the game is already installed (unless you have a physical copy in which case there is no installation process at all). It should be safe to shut off the system and try again. Contact Nintendo if things keep going wrong.

Restarted and it is still stuck at this screen. I'm going to play around with it a little bit then contact Nintendo. Thanks for the quick response folks.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

kojicolnair posted:

I've had a huge problem as a roller with people following me too closely. Like screw off and let me paint in peace, I don't need you to babysit me while spraying the walls or whatever.

How do you think I got to rank 20? :smug:

Edit: Besides having the game two days in advance.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 1, 2015

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dr. Hurt posted:

Restarted and it is still stuck at this screen. I'm going to play around with it a little bit then contact Nintendo. Thanks for the quick response folks.

If it's the download version, I'd just delete it and reinstall. It's like 2Gb

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Infinitum posted:

If it's the download version, I'd just delete it and reinstall. It's like 2Gb

The sad thing is, its the disc version.

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Splatzones was explained in some direct or something I saw a while ago its basically this:

1. You control the zone your timer goes down.
2. You lose control, it stops.
3. The opponent gets FULL control you get a penalty counter. The penalty counter isn't counted against you if the match goes to time, but when you regain control of the zone, it takes down first before your nonpenalty one ticks down. The lower your regular counter, the higher the penalty.

Who ever gets to zero or has the least time on their regular timer at the end of the round wins. I think it is also 5 minute matches instead of 3, but I could be making that up.

In the video, it looks like the penalty is actually the maximum number of seconds you held control without interruption. The Green team has control from 100 to 98, then 98 to 93. Purple takes control, and Green has a +6 (98 to 93) because of it. Purple then has control from 100 to 62, then 62 to 50. Green regains control and Purple gets a +39 (for the 100 to 62). So you'd get a smaller penalty if you kept gaining control for 5 seconds, then letting it go neutral, then gaining control again, rather than holding it for 30 seconds straight. Seems likes it's designed to be a comeback mechanic so the game isn't over if you let the other team take off a huge chunk of time at the beginning.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Dr. Hurt posted:

Sounds like a janky install, delete and redownload

e:f,b

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Supercar Gautier posted:

Yeah, it's nice to have some easy areas to clean up to top off a special meter after dying at full. Kraken's easy enough to start anywhere, but Ink strike needs time to pause and place it.

But I need those points. For new hats.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Zaphod42 posted:

They still haven't said anything about what "rainmaker" game mode will be about, right?

Only that it involves a giant, golden, fish-shaped gun. I'm guessing it's some sort of team-based Juggernaut-style mode where both sides fight over a gun that can cover huge swaths of ground very quickly, but is dropped when you're splatted.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Coming up into the middle of the mall 10s later than everyone else with your special ready while they have spent theirs already or are trying to come down the hill to you I find is way more effective. Only need 50.1%. Better to make sure your side is done imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Silentman0 posted:

Only that it involves a giant, golden, fish-shaped gun. I'm guessing it's some sort of team-based Juggernaut-style mode where both sides fight over a gun that can cover huge swaths of ground very quickly, but is dropped when you're splatted.

No wait to tell.

My best guess is the rainmaker is you do X Y Z or whatever and you unlock the rainmaker to do automatic inkstrikes like in the inkstrike single player levels.

• Locked thread