Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

unpacked robinhood posted:

oh snap, I haven't read it in a while though

Me neither, it was a lot longer than I remembered. I started running out of facts about Denton, Texas to swap in for Reform, Alabama and just started making poo poo up by the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This is magical. I personally did a complete 180 on this Kickstarter. A few hours ago, I absolutely tore into his The Joe airfreshener pictures and then I gradually became entranced, curious, filled with nostalgia and warm fuzzy feelings for this Texan Kindness Man's humble project.

I think what we've all discovered is that it's representative of something much greater.

He's not a goon. Nobody here knows the airfreshener guy. Heck, I don't even know if he has yet heard the name "Somethingawful." I suppose that is part of the beauty of this.

We haven't talked too much about the city where this Kickstarter is from, but I think that's part of the story: Denton, Texas. Named apparently after a pioneer/Texas militia captain. Population: 113,383. Three universities. 21.2% Latino/Hispanic. It has an annual State Fair And Rodeo, an Arts And Jazz festival and a music festival. Everyone affectionately calls it Little D.

It's like a place we all picture in our minds when we think of proverbial college town America. Heck, if you walk down main street there are Starbucks and Apple stores down the entire stretch of the road. But this place has lost a fifth of its topless bars in 10 years. Hunting season, already unpopular, has dropped to 25% of its former attendance in the last decade. Exactly a year ago, a liberal election wrecked the place. It decimated the titty bar (now a Whole Foods) that is right next to where The Joe will be handing out airfresheners. I tell you all of this just to make a round-about point: A humble kindness airfreshener, of all the things in the world, could help this city. It could affect real change.

Personalized airfreshners are unpretentious. They're also universal, a sort of basic politeness currency. And they're scented time machines. They bring us back to child-like states of glee and energy. If you smell a free airfreshner, you get to travel back to an age when you thought that anything was possible, you could do anything, you could become anyone.

Denton, Texas could probably use a few airfreshner-shaped time machines.

You have successfully convinced me, with these words, to hate The Joe. I now hate The Joe very much.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

This is magical. I personally did a complete 180 on this Kickstarter. A few hours ago, I absolutely tore into his The Joe airfreshener pictures and then I gradually became entranced, curious, filled with nostalgia and warm fuzzy feelings for this Texan Kindness Man's humble project.

I think what we've all discovered is that it's representative of something much greater.

He's not a goon. Nobody here knows the airfreshener guy. Heck, I don't even know if he has yet heard the name "Somethingawful." I suppose that is part of the beauty of this.

We haven't talked too much about the city where this Kickstarter is from, but I think that's part of the story: Denton, Texas. Named apparently after a pioneer/Texas militia captain. Population: 113,383. Three universities. 21.2% Latino/Hispanic. It has an annual State Fair And Rodeo, an Arts And Jazz festival and a music festival. Everyone affectionately calls it Little D.

It's like a place we all picture in our minds when we think of proverbial college town America. Heck, if you walk down main street there are Starbucks and Apple stores down the entire stretch of the road. But this place has lost a fifth of its topless bars in 10 years. Hunting season, already unpopular, has dropped to 25% of its former attendance in the last decade. Exactly a year ago, a liberal election wrecked the place. It decimated the titty bar (now a Whole Foods) that is right next to where The Joe will be handing out airfresheners. I tell you all of this just to make a round-about point: A humble kindness airfreshener, of all the things in the world, could help this city. It could affect real change.

Personalized airfreshners are unpretentious. They're also universal, a sort of basic politeness currency. And they're scented time machines. They bring us back to child-like states of glee and energy. If you smell a free airfreshner, you get to travel back to an age when you thought that anything was possible, you could do anything, you could become anyone.

Reading this struck a chord with me, and I'm motivated now, more than ever, to personally hunt down one of The Joe's backers so I can brutally murder them and unpledge their money

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:

Meatwave posted:

I'm inclined to like The Joe because I think it's hilarious that goons are so jaded that they can demonize someone for giving away food to cancer patients.

Maybe he's deserving of being demonized, but in a thread filled with overpriced schlock and scams, the kneejerk reaction of "gently caress this guy in particular" is funny.

If you're doing charity work to advertise yourself that's not really charity, is it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Those metal cubes/spheres/whatever just remind me of pet rocks. Is that back now? Can I make a Kickstarter for it?

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:

GrandpaPants posted:

Those metal cubes/spheres/whatever just remind me of pet rocks. Is that back now? Can I make a Kickstarter for it?

One almost succeeded. It does have another magical word in it.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I found out why that inanimate metal cube scam was called Cubit, a better product called Cubit is also on Kickstarter. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1762626887/cubit-the-make-anything-platform?ref=nav_search

Now for an old Kickstarter failure, PickParking, from a company called Cubit. http://www.pickparking.com/ They only got $11,000 out of $140,000, not realizing only rich people own private parking spots in places that could actually use this product and rich people don't share and prefer to kill the poor. The entire company has vanished as all communication stopped last year in August and their website still points to their failed kickstarter campaign.

Therion posted:

One almost succeeded. It does have another magical word in it.

Whenever you see a campaign with such a low funding amount it means the creator wants to run the project without any risk at all. Perfect for libertarians that don't want to take responsibility for their disgusting ideas.

Yaos has a new favorite as of 15:44 on Jun 1, 2015

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Don't you lie to us. We all know Denton is just one big TV Studio, and the Mecca of America.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

He gazed up at the enormous facebook profile picture. Years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the shadow of his personalized air freshener that hung from his rearview mirror, stitched with the simple phrase - #TheJoe. Oh cruel, needless misunderstanding! Oh stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two pizza giveaway-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself.

He loved The Joe.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Therion posted:

If you're doing charity work to advertise yourself that's not really charity, is it.

This is like what literally 75% of charity work is.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

The other 25% is the tax breaks.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Meatwave posted:

I'm inclined to like The Joe because I think it's hilarious that goons are so jaded that they can demonize someone for giving away food to cancer patients.

Maybe he's deserving of being demonized, but in a thread filled with overpriced schlock and scams, the kneejerk reaction of "gently caress this guy in particular" is funny.

If

quote:

The·Joe [thee-joh] -noun-1) inspiring awe: an awesome person.2) showing or characterized by awe.Origin: 1993 Austin, TX

doesn't make you hate this guy I don't know what to tell you :colbert:

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Remember that guy who spent way too much money remodeling his apartment with a Star Trek theme? These guys want to buy the place so that it might be preserved, but haven't offered any detailed explanation as to what they plan on doing if they should actually get it:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1200264707/buy-a-star-trek-replica-apartment?ref=category

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Cockmaster posted:

Remember that guy who spent way too much money remodeling his apartment with a Star Trek theme? These guys want to buy the place so that it might be preserved, but haven't offered any detailed explanation as to what they plan on doing if they should actually get it:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1200264707/buy-a-star-trek-replica-apartment?ref=category

Turn it into a nerd hotel by the looks of it. But :wtc: $120 to go inside for 30 minutes. By yourself, and only the member(?) is allowed to take pictures.

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

The General posted:

Turn it into a nerd hotel by the looks of it. But :wtc: $120 to go inside for 30 minutes. By yourself, and only the member(?) is allowed to take pictures.

they dont even help you take the photos... for $240/hr you'd think they'd get someone to stand there with you

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
400$ is a bit steep to stay in a badly kept room in Leicestershire, England

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Nagato posted:

they dont even help you take the photos... for $240/hr you'd think they'd get someone to stand there with you

for $240/hr you can have a person stand there if you want, or you can probably find somebody on Craigslist willing to do a lot more for that kind of money.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012
I was catching up on this thread, it was nice because I could see what happened to some of the kickstarters posted here.
I only found one big recent failure not already posted.
CST-01, they got a bit over a million bucks to make a watch and hosed it all up.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1655017763/cst-01-the-worlds-thinnest-watch/posts/1221663
"Our manufacturing partner has estimated they’ll need an additional $1.2M from us for them to fulfill our orders. "

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Putting the wear and where into vaporware.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

ianmacdo posted:

I was catching up on this thread, it was nice because I could see what happened to some of the kickstarters posted here.
CST-01, they got a bit over a million bucks to make a watch and hosed it all up.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1655017763/cst-01-the-worlds-thinnest-watch/posts/1221663
"Our manufacturing partner has estimated they’ll need an additional $1.2M from us for them to fulfill our orders. "

J.R."Bob" Dobbs on your circuit board. The best possible way to tell your backers that they've been fleeced.

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

Cockmaster posted:

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlrNKl4n8HIhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlrNKl4n8HIFagagagsssgs G S G Sg Sgsgsgs

Copy-pasting is hard!

Dr. Snuggles
Dec 3, 2012

Tbh some of us (Pick) use this website more than others and I feel that I am unfairly subsidizing picks posting. Unless some kind of fee by post usage is enabled were basically instituting a forced welfare state of posting.
all the comments are asking for refunds as if they're an established company that cares. lol.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

ianmacdo posted:

I like how these scam artists were scammed by other scam artists. The circle of scamming.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Aferisan posted:

all the comments are asking for refunds as if they're an established company that cares. lol.

My favourite is everybody going "YOU LEGALLY HAVE TO GIVE US REFUNDS!" :laffo:

No, I don't think they do. From the looks of it, they reasonably tried to deliver, but lacked the business acumen to do so.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I think it was mentioned earlier but some nozzle is selling cheap Chinese products and rebranding them for indiegogo

http://www.crowdfundinsider.com/2015/05/68552-scampaign-alert-beware-of-crowdfunders-re-labeling-already-made-products/

funniest part: dude running it has been deleting naysayers left and right and threatened the guy who posted the original alert on reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/shittykickstarters/comments/37wmfa/looks_like_the_wallet_drone_creator_is_planning/

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Alan Smithee posted:

I think it was mentioned earlier but some nozzle is selling cheap Chinese products and rebranding them for indiegogo

http://www.crowdfundinsider.com/2015/05/68552-scampaign-alert-beware-of-crowdfunders-re-labeling-already-made-products/

funniest part: dude running it has been deleting naysayers left and right and threatened the guy who posted the original alert on reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/shittykickstarters/comments/37wmfa/looks_like_the_wallet_drone_creator_is_planning/

This is how a lot of people I know make money on sites like eBay. Alibaba that poo poo and mark it up.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I heard a rumor that Etsy used to stock actual bullshit crafts before becoming another arm of alt.criminally-high-markups.steampunkbullshit but I never figured out how to log into BBSes.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I heard a rumor that Etsy used to stock actual bullshit crafts before becoming another arm of alt.criminally-high-markups.steampunkbullshit but I never figured out how to log into BBSes.

Remember when somebody spent like half a decade selling "hand made" jewelery that was just baubles from Hobby Lobby glued onto chains and sold at huge markup?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Sleeveless posted:

Remember when somebody spent like half a decade selling "hand made" jewelery that was just baubles from Hobby Lobby glued onto chains and sold at huge markup?

If by "someone" you mean "most of Etsy" then yes, yes I do.

(I was going to link the original Regretsy octopus post here but then I found out the Regretsy archives no longer exist. :qq:)

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

dijon du jour posted:

If by "someone" you mean "most of Etsy" then yes, yes I do.

(I was going to link the original Regretsy octopus post here but then I found out the Regretsy archives no longer exist. :qq:)
There is a download at least: http://archiveteam.org/index.php?title=Regretsy

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
"What kind of backer reward would be appropriate for those who sponsor my Blender classes?" asked Mark to himself while he stuffed his face with another piece of ostrich hickory smoked jerky.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

quote:

Challenges include finding an appropriate facility in a high traffic strip mall, locating good instructors, and IT professional.

So Mark here is an ideas man, not even coming up with the money or the teaching himself. I figured he was the instructor and I thought that was nice, a guy trying to start a business passing on his knowledge. But he doesn't know poo poo, and he's apparently just some jerky vendor trying to rip off idiots.

fake edit: he's a soccer coach with 29 years experience. :confused:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
3d modelling, animation, AND autonomous robotics

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

According to his Kickstarter profile, guy lives in Sarasota, which happens to be home to one of the biggest and best computer animation schools in America.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Autechresaint posted:

According to his Kickstarter profile, guy lives in Sarasota, which happens to be home to one of the biggest and best computer animation schools in America.

Is it also Jerky Capital USA?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Autechresaint posted:

I see. The man got so much funding he went back in time and built the school in the past! This Kickstarter is going places.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Need students to teach how to model trains

plenty of imitation crab meat so take some after class

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
pheasant jerky? The phrase "you will receive five RANDOM pieces of jerky" makes it sound like he's just scooping up whatever is on his counter, which is probably true, but could probably be phrased better.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Already making its own rounds but maestro filmmaker Uwe Boll is real mad that people stopped giving him money for bad movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT1J65KHX8E

poo poo I didnt know he had a kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2063316815/rampage-3-no-mercy

and now I wish I donated a dollar so I could call him a pissbaby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Alan Smithee posted:

Already making its own rounds but maestro filmmaker Uwe Boll is real mad that people stopped giving him money for bad movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT1J65KHX8E

poo poo I didnt know he had a kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2063316815/rampage-3-no-mercy

and now I wish I donated a dollar so I could call him a pissbaby

I only watched the first film and it was marginally okay and surprisingly good for an Uwe Boll film. I had no idea there was a sequel, mainly because there was no imaginable reason for one. But apparently the sequel has the same score of 63 on imdb as the first movie, so who knows, maybe Uwe was onto something there. His only sin was that he hated video games.