Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Jose Oquendo posted:

If I get Hulu Plus or whatever the paid version is called, can I access EVERYTHING or do some things require a provider login?

Some stuff (Helix on the Syfy channel comes to mind) still requires a provider login regardless of whether or not you are paying for Hulu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jose Oquendo posted:

If I get Hulu Plus or whatever the paid version is called, can I access EVERYTHING or do some things require a provider login?

There's a decent amount of provider logins. I run into it a lot, and I hate it. Tends to be back seasons of current shows, though.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Jose Oquendo posted:

Some things are just flat out not available on non-desktop environments. Yes even when you pay up.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

blugu64 posted:

Some things are just flat out not available on non-desktop environments. Yes even when you pay up.

That I remember from a long time ago when Hulu Plus first became a thing.

I wanted to give Hulu another chance since they've added a lot of content that I do want. There's still too many 'gotchas' though.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
It's part of why I bought a TiVo and ditched Hulu. Sure I don't get quite everything OTA, but I get enough and I don't have to think about if I can record it. Plus I get local news.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jose Oquendo posted:

That I remember from a long time ago when Hulu Plus first became a thing.

I wanted to give Hulu another chance since they've added a lot of content that I do want. There's still too many 'gotchas' though.

Yeah, it's really odd. There's also no good way to tell what is unavailable with out a login/deskop/plus account or a bizarre combination of them until you try and it fails.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Pay for Hulu Plus, still get ads. Kewl.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gyshall posted:

I got over that a while ago. Yeah it stinks, but i just consider it an easy to use DVR for a lot of shows.

I don't think ads are going away anytime soon, no matter what service you use. Even HBO Go has trailers before it's shows.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Netflix is testing ads, goddamit.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Medullah posted:

I got over that a while ago. Yeah it stinks, but i just consider it an easy to use DVR for a lot of shows.

I don't think ads are going away anytime soon, no matter what service you use. Even HBO Go has trailers before it's shows.

DVR you can FF/RW at your leisure. Hulu you just have to fall back on the old standard of mute or leave the room.

Fox/FX/etc. inserted pre-roll ads for other shows on their networks for iTunes/xbox/etc. purchases a few years back too :(

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Gyshall posted:

Same with cable so I don't see this argument. And sometimes I do like seeing the same commercial over and over. It gives me time to figure out what the hell that Clorox bleach commercial means.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

jabro posted:

Same with cable so I don't see this argument. And sometimes I do like seeing the same commercial over and over. It gives me time to figure out what the hell that Clorox bleach commercial means.

It just worries me that they are targeted. I get depression medication, erectile dysfunction commercials, and car commercials.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Medullah posted:

It just worries me that they are targeted. I get depression medication, erectile dysfunction commercials, and car commercials.

Serious? If that commercial means what I think it means then that ratio hopefully goes the other way.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

AlmightyBob posted:

Netflix is testing ads, goddamit.

It's just for their own poo poo I think. I'm guessing they'll just do it at the start or end of something. Not the worst thing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's just for their own poo poo I think.

They haven't really said what it's for. It could be for their own stuff or it may be for an alternative pricing tier, we don't really know.

Nothing at all may come of it either.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

They haven't really said what it's for. It could be for their own stuff or it may be for an alternative pricing tier, we don't really know.

Nothing at all may come of it either.

They have, and it's just for their own shows.

http://mashable.com/2015/06/01/netf...urce=feedburner

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ah, Engadget has since amended it's article with that info since they originally posted it.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I finally got off my butt and endured the 45 minute wait with the cable company to have them reduce me down to a basic tv package. Halved my cable bill in the process, which is nice.

Is there any site or resource to see different options for streaming channels? I know a bunch are streaming-only-if-you-have-a-tv-subscription, but there are some which aren't, I think. I'm just not sure where to find those.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I use Bing Rewards and have not paid for Hulu in a year. I have also paid off Hulu until March 2017. It has been so worth it.

In regards to the ads, they have never bothered me as they go less than a minute (2 minutes has been the longest but that has only been once or twice) compared to 3 minutes on cable.

Before I had to wait until a show appeared on Netflix. Hulu has let me watch shows the day after and allowed me to watch Moone Boy.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I thought I'd be able to binge seasons with Hulu but I quiclky found out that episodes are only up for a "short" while. Really sucks when the last half of a season is up, but the rest of the episodes are missing.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I thought I'd be able to binge seasons with Hulu but I quiclky found out that episodes are only up for a "short" while. Really sucks when the last half of a season is up, but the rest of the episodes are missing.

Depends on the show. Some are up 5 weeks while others are for complete season. Most Fox shows are complete while CW, CBS, and ABC are 5 weeks. I don't watch NBC so no clue on those shows.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Pay for hulu for your conscience then use usenet/streaming addons to actually watch them.

I believe Thermopyle or one of our other resident cord cutting gurus subscribes to this model.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

My set up is still:

Mohu Leaf Antenna with amplifier.
Roku 3 with
  • Netflix
  • Hulu (paid for with Bing rewards)
  • Amazon Prime Student (thank you .edu that never expires)
  • Plex
  • WatchEPSN, HBOGo, Showtime Anytime courtesy of a relative with a cable company log-in and too much disposable income.

This may change when Google Fiber gets installed, as I think I may get their box again. Although the more I think about it, the less I really want it.

My one bitch is that the amplifier makes that high pitched noise of an old TV, but I'm getting old enough I won't be able to hear it soon, and I already usually don't notice it.

And yeah, usenet supplies Plex. Also, Plex can install a channel for NFL gamepass that works just fine, assuming you're outside the US or use adfreetime at the router level.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
This is probably a weird request, but can anyone recommend a service to use to catch a range of international programming? I have a subscription to DishWorld International (now Sling International) to watch soccer and like that I can randomly turn on a Bollywood music station or Chinese cooking show and whatnot. But I feel like their service has gotten pretty lovely since the Sling switchover and the resolution really sucks on what should be a good connection. Their desktop companion app is also terrible and crashes constantly which is weird because it just streams video.

Ideally this would have a Roku channel as well and at least some sports stuff.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I was against using the Xbox One but with their antenna tuner out for the US it's pretty sweet. One box that works a ton of channels + tv + plex.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

No Butt Stuff posted:

My one bitch is that the amplifier makes that high pitched noise of an old TV,

Can you still exchange it? That just makes me think it's a bad cap in the amp (or the power supply is crap in some way).

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Panty Saluter posted:

Can you still exchange it? That just makes me think it's a bad cap in the amp (or the power supply is crap in some way).

Nah, it's been a while. I remember reading the reviews and several people mentioned it.

I actually don't have it plugged in right now and I was getting all my locals last night, so I'll probably just fiddle with positioning and be fine.

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
The Magic Turkey Sandwich Box and I
If i wanted to watch and record ota hdtv through my pc, whats the easiest way to go about this? I have an antenna on its way, but should I be buying a pci card with a coax input, a small usb to coax adapter or one of the mediasonic converter box pvr? Ideally i would be able to record directly to the hard drive in my pc and not need to connect an external hd. What software is available to set up recording schedules?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

DarkSun6890 posted:

If i wanted to watch and record ota hdtv through my pc, whats the easiest way to go about this? I have an antenna on its way, but should I be buying a pci card with a coax input, a small usb to coax adapter or one of the mediasonic converter box pvr? Ideally i would be able to record directly to the hard drive in my pc and not need to connect an external hd. What software is available to set up recording schedules?

HDHomerun for your tuner and windows media center for the software.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Gozinbulx posted:

Pay for hulu for your conscience then use usenet/streaming addons to actually watch them.

I believe Thermopyle or one of our other resident cord cutting gurus subscribes to this model.

Last time I used usenet all the aggregate/db? sites were falling apart and I couldn't find anything since they would just get taken down before they had a chance of being up. I still pay for satellite, but I find that pirated stuff is better quality, which is loving hilarious.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Last time I used usenet all the aggregate/db? sites were falling apart and I couldn't find anything since they would just get taken down before they had a chance of being up. I still pay for satellite, but I find that pirated stuff is better quality, which is loving hilarious.

Hrm. . let's see. . . I can use your legal service and endure your un-skippable commercials or I can just download it, have it in better quality, and watch my 40 minute TV show in 40 goddamned minutes not an hour.

I would seriously pay extra for a streaming service that didn't feel the need to force adds on me.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Everything can be automated now. Ever since I automated my setup I haven't had anything fail, its probably been 3 years.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

kri kri posted:

Everything can be automated now. Ever since I automated my setup I haven't had anything fail, its probably been 3 years.

sabnzbd + sickbeard + couchpotato is all you need, like this person said I haven't changed my setup in forever and I barely have to touch it except for maybe add a show.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I have something not work right every once in awhile. Like, the last half of a season of Dancing with the Stars just wasn't out there in HD. Fortunately enough, I have several streaming services + cable to fill in the gaps on the like 2% of things that usenet/torrents fail me on.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Thermopyle posted:

I have something not work right every once in awhile. Like, the last half of a season of Dancing with the Stars just wasn't out there in HD. Fortunately enough, I have several streaming services + cable to fill in the gaps on the like 2% of things that usenet/torrents fail me on.

Poker, a must have for my wife, is so badly named that automatic tools almost never pick it up. And sometimes it's never there in the first place

But I think he was talking about indexing sites themselves falling apart

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Photex posted:

sabnzbd + sickbeard + couchpotato is all you need, like this person said I haven't changed my setup in forever and I barely have to touch it except for maybe add a show.

I'll have to give sickbeard and couchpotato another go, thanks.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I'll have to give sickbeard and couchpotato another go, thanks.

sorry to clarify you want Sickrage not sickbeard, sickbeard isn't being developed anymore.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Photex posted:

sorry to clarify you want Sickrage not sickbeard, sickbeard isn't being developed anymore.

Or sonarr and then not using couchpotato. Use an indexer that supports importing of your imdb list. Add to imdb wishlist anywhere, get movie when it hits.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I switched to Sonarr after Sickbeard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
can you import your Sickbeard stuff into sickrage/sonarr?