Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Adiabatic, your thread remains one of the few reasons I venture out of TFR :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Terrible Robot posted:

:lol: You're awesome, this thread is awesome.

My sentiments as well.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
You guys are great.

MohawkSatan posted:

Adiabatic, your thread remains one of the few reasons I venture out of TFR :allears:

I'll have some TFR content for you sometime this week... :clint:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Adiabatic posted:

I'll have some TFR content for you sometime this week... :clint:

Please name the guns in the pictures when you post them so ignorants like me can learn.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Coredump posted:

Please name the guns in the pictures when you post them so ignorants like me can learn.
He calls it "Vera".

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

InitialDave posted:

He calls it "Vera".

That's the best compliment anyone's ever given me.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Adiabatic posted:

That's the best compliment anyone's ever given me.

You know what your next picture has to be now, right?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

You know what the chain of command is?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

Marry me.
I'm Canadian, its legal.
Although I don't swing that way, so, this may be a poor basis for a marriage.
On the bright side, we have all kinds of rusty shitheaps up here to entertain yourself with :P

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Man walks down the street wearin' a hat like that, people know he's not afraid of anything.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Its time for some thrillin' heroics

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Just booked my flight to Grand Rapids, MI for the 83rd running of the 24 hours of Le Mans!

If that sounds weird, it's because it is. I used to live up there, and all my friends were rally folk. We always got together for Le Mans and watched the entire thing, and I'll be damned if I don't keep that tradition alive despite being in Virginia.

Here's last year:

Awesome pictures to come.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Started "surveying" for the drainage trench. The idea is to french drain in front of the concrete slab:

then come around to the side of the garage:

and follow the concrete down:

Then end up here:

Plenty of slope for a good french drain. I hand-dug in the spot I knew the electrical conduit for the garage crossed, and it must be buried decently deep because I hit nothing:

Going to rent a trencher to dig the rest. Anywho, this is the projet du jour.

IS THAT YOU JOHN WAYNE?

IS THIS ME? :clint:

Henry Lever Action! Just picked it up from the broker today and I can't wait to shoot it.

Coredump posted:

This dude is a straight cowboy gun. Most of them come in silly plinker calibers like .22,. If you want to be a real cowboy, you get it chambered in a .44 Magnum. If you want to be a dumbass,you get it chambered in .45-70 Government.

Current hillbilly collection:

Left top: Ruger LCP 380 (.380 auto) It's super thin and light. Great for conceal carry.
Right top: 4" Astra .357 Magnum. Used to be my dad's backup when he was a pilot in the Marines.
Middle: your standard surplus AK-47. Shoots 7.62x39, and will shoot the dirtiest cold war bullshit ammo you give it.
Bottom: Henry Lever Action, chambered in .45-70 Government. The term "Elephant Gun" is nebulous, but you could call this rifle an entry-level one.

Left to right, key for scale: .380 auto, .357 Magnum, 7.62x39, .45-70 Government.

My carpet is nasty.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 3, 2015

smax
Nov 9, 2009

<--- Another TFR poster here.

Cool stuff. I've always wanted a Henry .22. Looks like a good start to a collection, now you just need more.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
You got TFR in my AI :love:

I miss the Box Threads in TFR, I really should spend more time there, I used to be more active over there but it's hard to stay enthusiastic about the sport when you can't afford to shoot for several years.

That Henry looks drat purdy, can't wait to see it in person.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Terrible Robot posted:

You got TFR in my AI :love:

Aye. Must start lurking in TFR because I want to get my conceal carry and have much deliberation ahead on which gun I want to start my eventual collection.

Thanks for posting the gear and specs! That lever-action looks so wicked fun.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I really need to get my license and a few things because the raccoons noticed I evicted my squirrel squatters and moved right in.

Glad you finally finished fixing the MJ, I should do the same to mine, it's still on jackstands. The parts are hanging out at my banjo compound for when you come up in a while.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Thanks y'all! At $1.50 a pop, I think I need to start reloading as a new hobby.

kastein posted:

The parts are hanging out at my banjo compound for when you come up in a while.

Sounds good bud. See ya NEFR weekend.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Adiabatic posted:

This dude is a straight cowboy gun. Most of them come in silly plinker calibers like .22,. If you want to be a real cowboy, you get it chambered in a .44 Magnum. If you want to be a dumbass the most attractive, manly gentleman in the room, you get it chambered in .45-70 Government.

Seriously sexy rifle, right there.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Adiabatic posted:

IS THIS ME? :clint:

Henry Lever Action! Just picked it up from the broker today and I can't wait to shoot it.

This dude is a straight cowboy gun. Most of them come in silly plinker calibers like .22,. If you want to be a real cowboy, you get it chambered in a .44 Magnum. If you want to be a dumbass,you get it chambered in .45-70 Government.

Left top: Ruger LCP 380 (.380 auto) It's super thin and light. Great for conceal carry.
Right top: 4" Astra .357 Magnum. Used to be my dad's backup when he was a pilot in the Marines.
Middle: your standard surplus AK-47. Shoots 7.62x39, and will shoot the dirtiest cold war bullshit ammo you give it.
Bottom: Henry Lever Action, chambered in .45-70 Government. The term "Elephant Gun" is nebulous, but you could call this rifle an entry-level one.

Left to right, key for scale: .380 auto, .357 Magnum, 7.62x39, .45-70 Government.

My carpet is nasty.

I love my Henry. They're fantastic rifles. Also feel my jealousy: I can't have 3 of the 4 guns you've got for various stupid reasons :canada:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

code:

Caliber              Muzzle Velocity      Muzzle Energy
    .380 Auto                1,000 ft/s           200 ft*lbf
    .357 Magnum              1,240 ft/s           539 ft*lbf
    .308 (7.62x39mm)         2,396 ft/s         1,555 ft*lbf
    .45-70 Gov't             2,275 ft/s         3,449 ft*lbf

I think I just bought a mortar?

VVVV to be fair, that chart is for the super old, super weak .45-70 that only went ~1300ft/s and weighed 405gr. The rounds I bought (with the specs in the code table) weigh 325gr and fire around 2,200ft/s. Still, you're putting a shitload of powder behind what amounts to a giant pistol round :getin:

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 3, 2015

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Hahahahaha, .45-70 is heavy and sloooowwww!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

.45-70 is gods own round and gently caress anyone who says otherwise. I want your exact cowboy rifle. My favorite caliber, my favorite gun style :)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Guns and garages: bringing AI, TFR and PI together in harmony.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Siochain posted:

.45-70 is gods own round and gently caress anyone who says otherwise.

Exactly. Also, reloading is easy and a way to save money shoot more.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

QuarkMartial posted:

Exactly. Also, reloading is easy and a way to save money shoot more.

Father in law owning a gun shop and reloading and selling to me slightly above his cost is the best way (saves me what I'd spend on a reloading setup).
Albeit all I mainly shoot nowadays is .22, .45, and my 7.5x55mm Swiss K-31.
Speaking of which, I really need to hit the range.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

If you want to be a dumbass,you get it chambered in .45-70 Government.

Haha this is awesome.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Adiabatic posted:

code:
     Caliber              Muzzle Velocity      Muzzle Energy
    .380 Auto                1,000 ft/s           200 ft*lbf
    .357 Magnum              1,240 ft/s           539 ft*lbf
    .308 (7.62x39mm)         2,396 ft/s         1,555 ft*lbf
    .45-70 Gov't             2,275 ft/s         3,449 ft*lbf

I think I just bought a mortar?

VVVV to be fair, that chart is for the super old, super weak .45-70 that only went ~1300ft/s and weighed 405gr. The rounds I bought (with the specs in the code table) weigh 325gr and fire around 2,200ft/s. Still, you're putting a shitload of powder behind what amounts to a giant pistol round :getin:

.45-70 isn't even a good pistol round compared to the high-power revolver rounds that are out nowadays. Plus, there's basically only two pistol designs that fire it.

Wait a few years and you just might be able to buy a .45-70 semi-auto pistol. I'm waiting on the RCMP to give me the go-ahead to make a prototype.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

Started "surveying" for the drainage trench. The idea is to french drain in front of the concrete slab:

Don't forget to call Miss Utility!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Don't forget to call Miss Utility!

Funny enough, I did last week and they came out two days ago. Gave me a report saying no utilities were in the way, and didn't mark poo poo for my personal underground lines like I wanted.

Thanks Miss Utility!

MohawkSatan posted:

.45-70 isn't even a good pistol round compared to the high-power revolver rounds that are out nowadays. Plus, there's basically only two pistol designs that fire it.

Pretty sure the only thing this gun is good for, aside from general rear end-hattery and sore shoulders, is grizzly bear defense.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 3, 2015

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

Pretty sure the only thing this gun is good for, aside from general rear end-hattery and sore shoulders, is grizzly bear defense.

It also fucks up cinder blocks, big blocks, basically any kind of block. And its infinitely more badass than the .50 deagle crew could ever be. Cowboy rounds for life y'all!
Its just a fun round to shoot, really. FIL has a .45-70 revolver with no brake. That thing is a loving hoot to shoot (its enough to set all 300lb of me on my rear end if I'm dumb).

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
My best friend used to have a 18" barrel Handi-rifle in .45-70. Now that this was fun :haw: You could drat near set the target on fire if you were close enough to it, it gave the M44 Mosin a run for its money on the muzzle-blast front.

I actually feel that .45-70 is a very soft shooting round for what it is, I never had any soreness after shooting it. Of course, I've put over 50 rounds through the previously mentioned M44 in short order and never had issues with soreness there either.

Maybe y'all need to get stronger shoulders :clint:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

:clint: Young fella, if yer lookin for trouble I’ll accommodate ya.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I'm your boysenberry.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Terrible Robot posted:

My best friend used to have a 18" barrel Handi-rifle in .45-70. Now that this was fun :haw: You could drat near set the target on fire if you were close enough to it, it gave the M44 Mosin a run for its money on the muzzle-blast front.

I actually feel that .45-70 is a very soft shooting round for what it is, I never had any soreness after shooting it. Of course, I've put over 50 rounds through the previously mentioned M44 in short order and never had issues with soreness there either.

.45-70 longbarrel revolver. In a rifle its fine, but holding that fucker hurt. I've honestly shot very few rifles that hurt, unless I was a retard and holdin them funny.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Siochain posted:

.45-70 is gods own round and gently caress anyone who says otherwise. I want your exact cowboy rifle. My favorite caliber, my favorite gun style :)

I have murdered the poo poo out of a deer with that same model of rifle in .45-70, and let me tell you, it does the job.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Adiabatic posted:

TFR knowledge.

Thanks for this. I found it fascinating for real.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Terrible Robot posted:

M44 recoil is grossly over exaggerated. My reaction to the first time I shot mine was, "That's it?"

As the great Choppa Reid says, "Harden the gently caress up." :clint:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Siochain posted:

FIL has a .45-70 revolver with no brake.

:stare:

Via wikipedia's .45-70 article... "Magnum Research BFR". Holds 3 rounds.

I'll give you three guesses as to what BFR stands for, but you'll only need one.

GOD. drat.

Coredump posted:

Thanks for this. I found it fascinating for real.

No problem! Ask questions if ya got em. I love :spergin: about things that go fast.

I recently read somewhere about an AR that's chambered in .458 Win Mag. Another caliber that needs to be in my life... Anyone have any experience with em?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The new leverevolution 45-70 round is loving tits.

if I could only own one rifle, a 1874 Sharps would be it. Its a heavy enough cartridge to do all north american game, and has some decent range for the round, especially with some practice.

edit: I'd take a .50-110 in a Sharps as well. But at 4 bucks a round.....

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 4, 2015