Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Zephyrine posted:

Is the AMX40 immune to shells or what? I was sitting behind one in a medium tank just unleashing all I had and he just turned his turret around and ignored me.

To be fair, if he was in an AMX40 he as either tabbed out (after hitting R 3 times), blind drunk or pleading helplessly at his screen for you to end his suffering. So don't feel bad that he ignored you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

TracerM17 posted:

To be fair, if he was in an AMX40 he as either tabbed out (after hitting R 3 times), blind drunk or pleading helplessly at his screen for you to end his suffering. So don't feel bad that he ignored you.

As an auto aim exclusive driver I assumed the AMX40 was some super rare/expensive premium tank because I have never managed to land a single point worth of damage on one.

Why would I ever spend 64.000 XP on a larger gun when that's half the trip to the next Tier?

Do I get a discount on the next tier since that tank has that gun or?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Because you'll be using a SU-14-1 without the top gun then? And you use that gun on the next two tiers anyway, where it'll be harder to gring?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

mmkay posted:

Because you'll be using a SU-14-1 without the top gun then? And you use that gun on the next two tiers anyway, where it'll be harder to gring?

But if I buy the top gun then I have to earn another 64.000 xp before I can move up to the next tier. and that very same gun is the stock gun for the next tank anyway.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's what, twice the damage?

Also, real men get the S-51.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

In case anyone doubted our word.

Oh baby I'll bastard you any time you like.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Zephyrine posted:

But if I buy the top gun then I have to earn another 64.000 xp before I can move up to the next tier. and that very same gun is the stock gun for the next tank anyway.

???

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Zephyrine posted:

people like you are the reason i have to suffer having T29s with the 76mm on my team

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Uranium 235 posted:

people like you are the reason i have to suffer having T29s with the 76mm on my team

105mm M103s, derp Pattons, D-25T IS-4s, etc.

Please use all available resources to avoid making a fool of yourself, arti player. Right click on a module in the tech tree to see what other tanks can use that module.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
But everyone tells me I shouldn't use the top gun on the Crusader SP :ohdear:

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
As far as I know I'm the only one who'll say that :v:

For real though, I'd rather drop a smaller shell on the roof armor of tanks every <10 seconds than hit them in the side or front armor for about the same damage every ~25. Plus the better gun arc means I can drop shells on things behind cover easier. The shorter range is annoying, but the SP is mobile enough (don't even need to turn around!) to bug out if the enemy starts pushing through.

Basically the 4.5 inch is more fun for me to use, after having used both.

E: but get the 203mm holy poo poo why is this up for debate.

Steelion fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 1, 2015

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm honestly starting to believe this guys is trolling us.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Zephyrine posted:

Why would I ever spend 64.000 XP on a larger gun when that's half the trip to the next Tier?
There are a few rare instances where I think this is actually applicable. The VK45.02B has the Tier IX 10,5 cm Kw.K. L/68 gun that you can go out of your way to research if you haven't already gotten it off the Tiger II. It doesn't lead to anything and there's already the Tier X 12,8 cm Kw.K. 44 L/55 on your way to the Maus, so it's pretty much useless on it's own for the VK45.02B unless you had unlocked prior.

That said, you can go out of your way to unlock it once you have the Maus researched as you'll already have the Tier X gun so that if/when you decide to head for the E-100, the Tiger II will already have it ready to throw on and ease your grind a little.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

My clan let's people bring lovely tanks for strongholds since if we lose whatever next game (but only one or two poo poo tanks at a time). Some dude ground through the FV207 in strongholds - the amount of times he'd hit a tier eight directly for piddling damage was disgusting. Dude direct hit a loving IS-3 for 53 damage. How is that acceptable for a tier eight artillery with a thirty second reload?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Uranium 235 posted:

To be fair. To be really really fair I'm grinding through pubbie games with these crap guns so I can bring a T10 for clan stuff sooner.

But point taken. For some reason I assumed that the 203 was the gun that came with the next tank.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Zephyrine posted:

To be fair. To be really really fair I'm grinding through pubbie games with these crap guns so I can bring a T10 for clan stuff sooner.

But point taken. For some reason I assumed that the 203 was the gun that came with the next tank.
As was stated before, it's always a good idea to right-click inspect all the modules on a vehicle to see what carries over into other vehicles. It can definitely ease your suffering in the long run either later down the same line you're on, or down other tank lines you may go down in the future. Radios and Guns are well-known to carry over across multiple vehicles in various tiers of gameplay, so to have it down and out of the way when you buy another vehicle that uses said gun/radio is a godsend.

The 90mm off the S35 CA which carries up to the ARL V39 and the 90mm which runs from the M6 to the T29 are some prime examples of why you should always go out of your way for the bigger guns even if they're out of the way when you're grinding the next tank.

EDIT: Also, the Tier V 105mm on an M46 Patton looks like it would fun in a stupid kind of way.

RanKizama fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 1, 2015

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Hellsau posted:

My clan let's people bring lovely tanks for strongholds since if we lose whatever next game (but only one or two poo poo tanks at a time). Some dude ground through the FV207 in strongholds - the amount of times he'd hit a tier eight directly for piddling damage was disgusting. Dude direct hit a loving IS-3 for 53 damage. How is that acceptable for a tier eight artillery with a thirty second reload?

53 damage too much honestly.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Clan wars is vastly overrated and totes not fun.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Agrajag posted:

Clan wars is vastly overrated and totes not fun.
Do you think the new Global Map features will fix that? A lot of my clanmates seem to think so.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

BadLlama posted:

Agreed, arty should be taking 1/2 of the damage value it hits for on any given shot it lands successfully.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Zephyrine posted:

If you get to tier 10 and don't know how to play the game, you won't be any help. Learn the mechanics. Learn why people answer like they do. Keep asking questions.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

In case anyone doubted our word.

that's what my brain tells me whenever i have a 5 loss streak

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

BadLlama posted:

:agreed:

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Hellsau posted:

PBKAC usually doesn't bring too many poo poo tanks to strongholds, but ever since everyone got free SU-100Ys, there's been a trend of people trying to bring them to tier 6 SHs. I'm just going to rage quit from now on. It's not like they're the worst tank ever, but they don't fit in when everyone else is running Type 64s, T37s, and Cromwells. They also make it harder to win within 2 minutes, which defeats the purpose of running tier 6 SHs.

edit: also arty is the worst thing in strongholds

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 1, 2015

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Hellsau posted:

Christ even when I'm shooting my little 4.5 inch peashooter I can do more than that to an IS-3. And I can do it 3x as fast!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Steelion posted:

Christ even when I'm shooting my little 4.5 inch peashooter I can do more than that to an IS-3. And I can do it 3x as fast!

That would be because you hit high rather than just slamming the shell into the turret face. "French" artillery guns are just not useful.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

WayAbvPar posted:

If you get to tier 10 and don't know how to play the game, you won't be any help. Learn the mechanics. Learn why people answer like they do. Keep asking questions.

I do alright. I just need to learn more about all this paperwork that exists around the actual dropping of shells on enemy heads.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

demonR6 posted:

Agreed, arty should be taking 1/2 of the damage value it hits for on any given shot it lands successfully.

You don't even play anymore :v:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Zephyrine posted:

I do alright. I just need to learn more about all this paperwork that exists around the actual dropping of shells on enemy heads.

Kill yourself in game.

Also NA dudes, Nvidia Shadowplay contest gold went out. 1900 gold for posting a YouTube? Okay.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

subhelios posted:

You don't even play anymore :v:

You're right, best thing I ever did too next to setting up that meth lab in my neighbors basement.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Hellsau posted:

Kill yourself in game.

Also NA dudes, Nvidia Shadowplay contest gold went out. 1900 gold for posting a YouTube? Okay.

Does it have to be a tanks video? Or can I post my daughter chasing my cat around the house? :allears:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Failed Goomba Stomp

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I just had to proximity spot a Jagdtiger who then shot me straight in the face. :cripes:

TD-camo, man.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

R. Mute posted:

I just had to proximity spot a Jagdtiger who then shot me straight in the face. :cripes:

TD-camo, man.

I was driving my Obj 268 and mutually proxy-spotted an ISU-152 a couple days ago on Prokhorovka. I was just driving down the west side of the map cleaning up the last few tanks on their team, sixth sense went off, and there he was, 50m away.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BadLlama posted:

Failed Goomba Stomp

The counterplay between desires of gofast and muststomp is pretty brutal.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

BadLlama posted:

Failed Goomba Stomp

i hope you reported that idiot

-everyone who plays this game

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Just unlocked the top gun for the T-49. Is there any reason to carry HEAT (2nd ammo choice), or should I use HE and HE gold only? HEAT is so goddamned unreliable I reluctant to carry it.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Bring some. It's useful for those times when you know you can drive right up to the side of a distracted E-75 and blap him for 700 damage.

If you're looking for reliability, whoa boy are you in the wrong tank.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
I must be doing something right when the enemy team is bitching about me using gold and my team is bitching about I not being there to save their higher tier asses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Prav posted:

Bring some. It's useful for those times when you know you can drive right up to the side of a distracted E-75 and blap him for 700 damage.

If you're looking for reliability, whoa boy are you in the wrong tank.

If you want reliability I guess try the 90mm? Cippa used to run that I think.