Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Somehow whilst watching pop-sci vids on the nottingham science youtube channels, I stumbled across this humdinger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEuP646ML34

Its got it all, from a college humor vid cited as evidence, to alex jones hyperventilating about interdimensional demons, grey aliens mumbling about KILL HUMANs, getting freaked out about mpeg artifacts actually being proof of reptiles, backward masking, ancient aliens, and so on and so on. I only got 1/4 of the way before my brain started to ache from the stupid.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Captain Carl the Chemtrail Pilot is a true American hero :patriot:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So I went on a guy retreat this weekend, and two (otherwise really smart) guys insisted that 9/11 was a controlled demolition, saying that it wouldn't fall that way if it wasn't, and something something free fall. Another man present said his brother was a construction engineer and had worked on the WTC, and that it really, really wasn't a demolition, but they stuck to their guns.

What's this crap about about free fall velocity? Doesn't everything fall at the same speed relative to it's size? I was way too tired and cranky to stick around and listen to the explanation, but I'm thinking this thread knows what they're talking about?

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Tias posted:

So I went on a guy retreat this weekend, and two (otherwise really smart) guys insisted that 9/11 was a controlled demolition, saying that it wouldn't fall that way if it wasn't, and something something free fall. Another man present said his brother was a construction engineer and had worked on the WTC, and that it really, really wasn't a demolition, but they stuck to their guns.

What's this crap about about free fall velocity? Doesn't everything fall at the same speed relative to it's size? I was way too tired and cranky to stick around and listen to the explanation, but I'm thinking this thread knows what they're talking about?

Everything falls at the same speed, period, without resistance. It's nonsense, but I think their point is that the building fell at the speed it would with no resistance, like the building wasn't collapsing on itself, but just straight falling without being slowed by the building beneath it.

Which is of course loving crazy coo coo nonsense.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

They also don't want to talk to demolition experts, who all say that it was obviously not a controlled demolition. I remember some celebrity saying that the first thing they thought when the first tower collapsed was, "Didn't that look just like when they take old buildings down?" I wanted to yell at the TV, "No chucklefuck, it really doesn't look anything like that."

Goon
Apr 22, 2006

Tias posted:

Once the upper floors of the towers were in motion, they crushed each floor beneath in quick succession, building up a mass of rubble and falling structure to which each remaining floor provided almost no resistance. So while they don't actually fall at free fall speeds, it is close.

There's also building 7, which for a brief period does have free fall acceleration. It then slows down.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tias posted:

the idea is that if the wtc collapsed naturally instead of controlled, it would have collapsed more slowly because the building underneath the point of failure would have resisted the collapse. so 'free fall speed' is the argument that the speed of the collapse is indicative of a controlled demolition

weirdly enough the argument is correct, there is a difference between a controlled demolition and a natural demolition where the natural demolition would collapse slightly more slowly. what the conspiracy theorists get wrong is that the towers obviously did not collapse at free fall speed - if you look at the debris being ejected from the towers while they collapsed, you'll see stuff falling faster than the travelling point of collapse. the free fall argument itself is an unsupported assertion, if you press the claimant to prove it they'll tell you about a really interesting and enlightening series of youtube videos that you really should watch to open your eyes, etc.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I remember some celebrity saying that the first thing they thought when the first tower collapsed was, "Didn't that look just like when they take old buildings down?"

this is the part that's funniest to me. "hey, this building collapse looks suspiciously like another building i saw collapse. something's fishy here..." like they expected it to fall over like a tree or something

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Popular Thug Drink posted:

this is the part that's funniest to me. "hey, this building collapse looks suspiciously like another building i saw collapse. something's fishy here..." like they expected it to fall over like a tree or something

This is exactly what people expected. People have huge misunderstandings about physics, and these truther idiots should be Exhibit A in the case against Michael Bay and Jerry Bruckheimer during their trials for crimes against humanity. Just think for a moment how many movies depict vehicles hopping cleanly from one platform to another when in reality most vehicles would end up breaking an axle or nose-diving nearly straight down due to the front-heavy nature of modern vehicles.

The approach to large buildings being destroyed in media is much the same because it turns out, when you actually apply physics properly, the result ends up looking really underwhelming and unexciting. So they juice the physics to get the visuals they want, and a percentage of the public is then incredulous when confronted with the reality of something like 9/11, the moon landing, or the JFK assassination.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 1, 2015

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
As long as we all agree that the Jews who control Hollywood do a poor job of depicting disasters like 9/11, I think that even the most conspiratorially minded person will agree with you.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yeah, not one of the individuals who jumped from the towers hit an awning and survived

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ErIog posted:

This is exactly what people expected. People have huge misunderstandings about physics, and these truther idiots should be Exhibit A in the case against Michael Bay and Jerry Bruckheimer during their trials for crimes against humanity. Just think for a moment how many movies depict vehicles hopping cleanly from one platform to another when in reality most vehicles would end up breaking an axle or nose-diving nearly straight down due to the front-heavy nature of modern vehicles.

The approach to large buildings being destroyed in media is much the same because it turns out, when you actually apply physics properly, the result ends up looking really underwhelming and unexciting. So they juice the physics to get the visuals they want, and a percentage of the public is then incredulous when confronted with the reality of something like 9/11, the moon landing, or the JFK assassination.

A lot of the problems also come from the completely and total failure of most people to understand things like "poo poo behaves different at a scale that large." The buildings were made of steel and concrete and yes those are very strong materials but when you pile that much of it that tall it actually kind of sucks. It's fine for day to day use but as soon as you smash a plane into it bad poo poo starts to happen. You don't need to melt steel into a puddle or concrete into slag to gently caress it up enough to knock the building over.

Granted people also often seem to think (speaking of movies) that your average car is a rolling bomb ready to explode at the slightest provocation. Unless you drive a Ford Pinto it's pretty unlikely your car is going to explode like they do in the movies. But then movies gently caress up the perceptions people have about all sorts of things.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
But didn't the planes exploding melt or at least weaken some of the steel enough for it to give? That seems likely, though I just read articles about steel so what do I know?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Popular Thug Drink posted:

yeah, not one of the individuals who jumped from the towers hit an awning and survived

The Jewminati hired operatives to remove all the umbrellas from the WTC complex just weeks before 9/11 so that nobody was able to Mary Poppins their way down. Check out this YouTube video THEY* don't want you to see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BHoDW9f7vY Relevant bit is 2 minutes in.

*Shadowy figures who shall not be named.

Tias posted:

But didn't the planes exploding melt or at least weaken some of the steel enough for it to give? That seems likely, though I just read articles about steel so what do I know?

Yeah, that's what happened. It seems reasonable to those of us with a decent understanding of reality. However, to a lot of people who do not have that same grasp on reality it seems suspect.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 1, 2015

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Tias posted:

Popular Mechanics posted:

Jet fuel burns at 800° to 1500°F, not hot enough to melt steel (2750°F). However, experts agree that for the towers to collapse, their steel frames didn't need to melt, they just had to lose some of their structural strength—and that required exposure to much less heat. "I have never seen melted steel in a building fire," says retired New York deputy fire chief Vincent Dunn, author of The Collapse Of Burning Buildings: A Guide To Fireground Safety. "But I've seen a lot of twisted, warped, bent and sagging steel. What happens is that the steel tries to expand at both ends, but when it can no longer expand, it sags and the surrounding concrete cracks."

"Steel loses about 50 percent of its strength at 1100°F," notes senior engineer Farid Alfawak-hiri of the American Institute of Steel Construction. "And at 1800° it is probably at less than 10 percent." NIST also believes that a great deal of the spray-on fireproofing insulation was likely knocked off the steel beams that were in the path of the crashing jets, leaving the metal more vulnerable to the heat.

But jet fuel wasn't the only thing burning, notes Forman Williams, a professor of engineering at the University of California, San Diego, and one of seven structural engineers and fire experts that PM consulted. He says that while the jet fuel was the catalyst for the WTC fires, the resulting inferno was intensified by the combustible material inside the buildings, including rugs, curtains, furniture and paper. NIST reports that pockets of fire hit 1832°F.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tias posted:

As was already mentioned steel gets weak long before it melts. The other thing is that goddamned planes hit the buildings and that can significantly affect the structural integrity of the steel. Buildings that large are build to distribute the stress of "being a large building" in pretty specific ways. Normal use and existence will never, ever push a building beyond its limits. However a high speed collision with a plane can knock it off kilter enough to seriously mess it up. Not only was the steel hotter than normal use but it's also entirely possible that the steel beams (or enough of them at least) were not where they should have been for the stress to distribute properly. Once again steel is very strong but not "one beam will hold up one of the world's tallest buildings forever" strong.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

NIST is the government though so :smugbert:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
9/11 conspiracies are going to even more entertaining in like forty years. So many videos have been made about it in a relatively short period of time, it'd be fascinating to see all of that content as a student a few decades from now.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tias posted:

That's exactly right and exactly the point. When a Truther says that jet fuel cannot burn hot enough to melt steel beams, they're (deliberately) forgetting the part where you don't need to literally melt steel in order to weaken metal.

How many of these people have been exposed to the stereotype of the old-timey blacksmith hammering a piece of hot, but not molten, metal, in order to shape it into a horseshoe?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sir Tonk posted:

9/11 conspiracies are going to even more entertaining in like forty years. So many videos have been made about it in a relatively short period of time, it'd be fascinating to see all of that content as a student a few decades from now.

It's going to be the Kennedy stuff except without Fidel Castro behind it.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

It's going to be the Kennedy stuff except without Fidel Castro behind it.

I'm sure there are 9/11 conspiracies that involve Castro.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's exactly right and exactly the point. When a Truther says that jet fuel cannot burn hot enough to melt steel beams, they're (deliberately) forgetting the part where you don't need to literally melt steel in order to weaken metal.

How many of these people have been exposed to the stereotype of the old-timey blacksmith hammering a piece of hot, but not molten, metal, in order to shape it into a horseshoe?

They aren't interested in actually testing their theories, that's why Jones and his ilk are so cultish. They spend all their time demonizing any and all counter arguments and it just rubs off on the followers.

It's been fun to watch how the conspiracies have evolved since Loose Change came out, though. Bunch of Bush haters jumped on, if only because it implicated him in something, but have fallen off over time. There's alot of people still into it, but not enough to really matter and if Charlie Sheen's media explosion didn't help them, then nothing short of another Oliver Stone film will change general public opinion.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

nothing short of another Oliver Stone film will change general public opinion.

Christmas time's a-comin'!

Apparently they were shooting near where I work and the more conspiracy-minded of my colleagues went over to check it out.

snorch fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 3, 2015

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Sir Tonk posted:

They aren't interested in actually testing their theories, that's why Jones and his ilk are so cultish. They spend all their time demonizing any and all counter arguments and it just rubs off on the followers.

The whole "it's obvious a single glance" mindset really does keep you from TRUELY investigating the claims; this coming from a former Alex Jones follower.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I guess this is the best place for this:

Several members of the US Congress have joined calls for the release of classified pages from an intelligence report into the September 11, 2001, attacks on the US.

The politicians argue that the 28 pages of classified text refers to allegations that Saudi Arabia's officials were involved in helping to finance the attacks.

Former Florida Senator Bob Graham, who co-chaired the 2002 House-Senate Joint Inquiry, the first official investigation into 9/11, joined current congressional members on Tuesday as they publicly called for the release of the classified material.

Graham told Al Jazeera that the US public would be "outraged" if they knew the truth.
"If the American people knew the full truth, I believe there would be an outrage that a country which alleges to be such an ally of ours has engaged in so many actions that have been so extremely negative towards the United States," Graham said, referring to Saudi Arabia.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/06/politicians-call-release-secret-911-report-150603035342175.html

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I actually wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be the case.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

JFairfax posted:

Several members of the US Congress have joined calls for the release of classified pages from an intelligence report into the September 11, 2001, attacks on the US.

The politicians argue that the 28 pages of classified text refers to allegations that Saudi Arabia's officials were involved in helping to finance the attacks.

Former Florida Senator Bob Graham, who co-chaired the 2002 House-Senate Joint Inquiry, the first official investigation into 9/11, joined current congressional members on Tuesday as they publicly called for the release of the classified material.

Graham told Al Jazeera that the US public would be "outraged" if they knew the truth.
"If the American people knew the full truth, I believe there would be an outrage that a country which alleges to be such an ally of ours has engaged in so many actions that have been so extremely negative towards the United States," Graham said, referring to Saudi Arabia.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/06/politicians-call-release-secret-911-report-150603035342175.html

Yeah, that's not really all that conspiracy minded. A decent chunk of the 9/11 attackers were from Saudi Arabia, and since they are nominally US allies it would make sense that the government has tried to whitewash Saudi Arabia's involvement.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Following the money and motives with comprehensive investigation is how you uncover real conspiracies. Instead of just you know watching curated slomo rewinds of CNN footage highlighted with arrows set to ominous techno on Facebook.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
People are going to be outraged all right - they're just not going to be outraged in the "oh so it really was an inside job!" sense that they're all expecting to be.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
If the US drops Saudi Arabia like a hot potato that's a good thing. Therefore, it probably won't happen.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm not saying it was a great documentary or anything, but like at least half of Fahrenheit 911 was about the Saudi connections to both the WTC attack and to the Bush family, and that came out 11 years ago. It's no big secret.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
thats not really a conspiracy, anyone who was paying attention at the time knew that the 9/11 hijackers were saudi nationals influenced by the saudi state support of wahabism and that nothing would be done about it since the us and the sauds are tight

like a conspiracy theory isn't just pointing out that governments lie and collude, it's when you try to hide that natural action behind like alien autopsies and false flags and poo poo. if it's right out in the open and pointedly ignored it's not a conspiracy, it's a simple fact of geopolitics

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
here's another crazy conspiracy - the russian government is actively supporting the donetsk rebels, despite putin himself saying that they are not supporting the rebels

[img-mindblown]

cloven hoof
Mar 17, 2009

JFairfax posted:

I came here to see discussion on this. It's available for senators to read, they can't take notes. When will it be released to the public?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So, it looks like any time you see US Military forces on US Soil its JADE HELM THEY'RE COMING FOR YOUR GUNS AND REASSIGN AS YOUR GENDERS!!! There's a bunch of videos and pictures popping up that show a convoy of US trucks with titles like "Jade Helm in Michigan" "Non-Americans in US Uniforms sighted in Iowa" and so on.

Its really confusing because with the thousands of military bases in the US, wouldn't the sight of soldiers be you know, common place? And aren't they heroes that walk on water? Oh wait, that's when they're over there killing brown people with funny names.

And Caitlyn Jenner has really fired up the CTs, claiming that her news was to distract us from some nebulous NWO plot, or how she's being covered by the hard news sources and not some made up paranoid bullshit. Because Vanity Fair and LOOK have replaced Time and Newsweek as our top tier journalism.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

So, it looks like any time you see US Military forces on US Soil its JADE HELM THEY'RE COMING FOR YOUR GUNS AND REASSIGN AS YOUR GENDERS!!! There's a bunch of videos and pictures popping up that show a convoy of US trucks with titles like "Jade Helm in Michigan" "Non-Americans in US Uniforms sighted in Iowa" and so on.

Its really confusing because with the thousands of military bases in the US, wouldn't the sight of soldiers be you know, common place? And aren't they heroes that walk on water? Oh wait, that's when they're over there killing brown people with funny names.

And Caitlyn Jenner has really fired up the CTs, claiming that her news was to distract us from some nebulous NWO plot, or how she's being covered by the hard news sources and not some made up paranoid bullshit. Because Vanity Fair and LOOK have replaced Time and Newsweek as our top tier journalism.

Someone here posted that sentiment, that people were distracted by Caitlyn Jenner and etc. and that's why the revolution hasn't happened yet. Because if Vanity Fair didn't exist all the people that read it would be reading Trot newsletters instead.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

If steel actually believed the way 9/11 truthers think it does, most forms of iron metallurgy would be impossible. How would you forge something if steel doesn't become soft long before it melts?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Woolie Wool posted:

If steel actually believed the way 9/11 truthers think it does, most forms of iron metallurgy would be impossible. How would you forge something if steel doesn't become soft long before it melts?

Steel weapons and ships and the like didn't exist until the 20th century and all records of it before then are fabrications inserted by the illuminati to hide the fact we could only use iron before 1908.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

Steel weapons and ships and the like didn't exist until the 20th century and all records of it before then are fabrications inserted by the illuminati to hide the fact we could only use iron before 1908.

Spanish dynamite can't melt iron boilers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SedanChair posted:

Spanish dynamite can't melt iron boilers.

American Dynamite can though!

(The Maine was an inside job...literally, its magazine exploded from the inside due to poor ammunition handling)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

Blacksmiths don't use jet fuel

QED sheeple :agesilaus:

• Locked thread