Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
The announcement will be that UAB's football team will now be used as Bama's scout team and will now play in Bryant Denny on Fridays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Korranus posted:

This has the potential to be the magnum trollpus of Dr. Ray L. Watts

p. sure if he says no there might be an actual lynch mob

we should be able to tell what the announcement is by whether or not he stands behind a tank

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

AsInHowe posted:

UAB football is coming back.

Announcement at 4 pm today, according to Birmingham's Fox affiliate.

Didn't all their players transfer to other schools? Are they going to have to rebuild the program or can those players come back?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

AsInHowe posted:

UAB football is coming back.

Announcement at 4 pm today, according to Birmingham's Fox affiliate.

Group of Five pride. (imagine a crying Boise State Bronco flag here)

wootmachine
Aug 28, 2006

HAIL SABAN
I'm sure the 500 people that will show up at Legion Field this fall are thrilled.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

wootmachine posted:

I'm sure the 500 people that will show up at Legion Field this fall are thrilled.

bammer has salty opinion about uab? color me loving shocked.

wootmachine
Aug 28, 2006

HAIL SABAN
Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% FOR UAB having football, but let's be real here. After the first couple of feel-good-rah-rah weeks things will be back to exactly the way they were before.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
edit: nm

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

wootmachine posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% FOR UAB having football, but let's be real here. After the first couple of feel-good-rah-rah weeks things will be back to exactly the way they were before.

oh no!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I'm not saying I hate them! I'm saying they suck and deserve to die!

wootmachine
Aug 28, 2006

HAIL SABAN
Okay, you guys got me. I am terrified of UAB. I didn't even get to finish my semen and oils velvet portrait of Paul Bryant Jr. and the traitor Ray Watts.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Maybe UAB will do something about that crumbling poo poo hole Legion field now

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Didn't all their players transfer to other schools? Are they going to have to rebuild the program or can those players come back?

http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2015/1/29/7928071/uab-players-where-are-they-now

yup they are gone

wootmachine
Aug 28, 2006

HAIL SABAN
The only thing that will change UAB football will be a new on-campus stadium, which might happen if the reported amount of money they have raised in the past few months is legit. Legion Field will always be a dump because it's operated by the Birmingham City Council.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
The new UAB football team will essentially be considered a completely new program and not a continuation of the existing program.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'd forgotten that UAB was bowl eligible last year but didn't get to go to one, maybe partially because of killing the program.

They might not have anyway since someone was getting left out but that sucks.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

UAB gonna win the natty

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

UAB gonna win the natty

UAB vs SMU national championship who says no

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Metapod posted:

UAB vs SMU national championship who says no

Replace SMU with Georgia State.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Fluffdaddy posted:

Maybe UAB will do something about that crumbling poo poo hole Legion field now

They're going to blow it up because if UAB comes back it will actually have a booster system in place now and that stadium will happen in the next ten years.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
Reminder that the only reason UAB wasn't 100% funded all along was that the BoT literally wouldn't accept money from donors because they intended to kill the program for decades

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
This was all just a clever ruse for UAB to get out of playing UT the first game of the season. :smug:

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

wootmachine posted:

Legion Field will always be a dump because it is in Alabama.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
So did UAB already get kicked out of the CUSA or whatever conference they were in, or did they hold off on that? I remember hearing they couldn't stay without football.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MindlessHavok posted:

This was all just a clever ruse for UAB to get out of playing UT the first game of the season. :smug:

What, UAB didn't want the easy win?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

What, UAB didn't want the easy win?

I knew someone would take a swing at that softball

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
So how is UAB coming back gonna work in a practical sense? Didn't they dismiss the coaching staff and haven't a bunch of the players transferred?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MindlessHavok posted:

I knew someone would take a swing at that softball

The only game I've ever seen at Neyland was UAB holding UT scoreless for the second half, then going to 2OT before losing.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Priest Willis is transferring from UCLA so I guess that saga is finally over.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Is there a GoFundMe page yet to raise the extra money Bama won't get now because UAB football still exists?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

wootmachine posted:

Legion Field will always be a dump because it's operated by the Birmingham City Council.

doesn't the city/county government still owe $eleventy billion to debtors because of corruption scandals?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Kinda want to be an honorary Blazer fan. The closest tie I have is a family member that lives in B-ham. Is that close enough for me to be BLAZERS BITCH all next season?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

KKKLIP ART posted:

Kinda want to be an honorary Blazer fan. The closest tie I have is a family member that lives in B-ham. Is that close enough for me to be BLAZERS BITCH all next season?
The Blazers :350: should be adopted as TFF's official team.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Numlock posted:

Is there a GoFundMe page yet to raise the extra money Bama won't get now because UAB football still exists?

Yea, it went to Doobie

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

The Blazers :350: should be adopted as TFF's official team.

How the gently caress could anyone not want to root for UAB based on their logo alone:

Oh, I'm proud to be in C-USA
Where the games are defense free

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
C-USA is better than at least 3 of the other group of five conferences in almost every regard. :colbert:

and better than every conference period when it comes to winning bowl games

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Morby posted:

So how is UAB coming back gonna work in a practical sense? Didn't they dismiss the coaching staff and haven't a bunch of the players transferred?

They won't be coming back this upcoming season, so they have some time to rebuild.

quote:

Coach Bill Clark and Athletic Director Mark Ingram said they hope to field a team as soon as possible, which could be as early as 2016.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
I was under the impression they might get a year in FCS so they can recruit, develop, and not have to face FBS squads entirely with walk-ons.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Watch Alabama force them to play FBS with walk-ons, drop out of CUSA, and play an independent schedule of 12 SEC teams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Sash! posted:

Watch Alabama force them to play FBS with walk-ons, drop out of CUSA, and play an independent schedule of 12 SEC teams

They wouldn't do that because then they'd be getting double their budget from the payouts and end up having better facilities than like Florida or something.

• Locked thread