Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Hand
Apr 28, 2015

by Cowcaster
Regarding hand crafted maps being better than procedurally generated maps, isn't the solution to that to just let the community make more maps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Decrepus posted:

Even Heavy women are represented well in XCOM.

not empty quoting this, yadda yadda yadda

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
You know, flying base is cool and all but not going to lie, part of me was hoping the secret XCOM base would be underwater, from which you launched terror attacks against the megacities. A "Terror from the Deep" if you will. :haw:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If the Avenger is anything like the SHIELD helicarrier, it can probably do that.

Zudrag
Oct 7, 2009

Insert name here posted:

You know, flying base is cool and all but not going to lie, part of me was hoping the secret XCOM base would be underwater, from which you launched terror attacks against the megacities. A "Terror from the Deep" if you will. :haw:

Terror attacks against the people you're trying to win over? How unrealistic!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Mr. Hand posted:

Regarding hand crafted maps being better than procedurally generated maps, isn't the solution to that to just let the community make more maps?
They'll likely be crafted through very obvious parts, maybe the cover will change and be truly (or weighed) randomly. I would seriously doubt the maps being procedurally generated would be anything less or more. After about a few hundred hours you'll probably start seeing the "building block" parts of maps rather than thinking "hey this map is cool and different!"

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Sober posted:

I'm sure if the LW team continues and works on doing LW2 or whatever it would likely rise to the top, along with any other big overhaul mods. Depending on how mods interact it would be likely visual stuff and gameplay changes won't really interfere with one another too much, unless you're able to just flat out add new 3D assets this time around, which would be great.

If "modding support" is something you advertise, easily changing/adding textures and models is basically the very first thing that you need to support. So it would be really sad and pathetic if it didn't support that.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Decrepus posted:

Even Heavy women are represented well in XCOM.

Mutons?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Taffer posted:

If "modding support" is something you advertise, easily changing/adding textures and models is basically the very first thing that you need to support. So it would be really sad and pathetic if it didn't support that.
Did OG X-Com and the following titles really have much of a modding tradition? I can only assume if not plus XCOM EU2012 being not a big project was why they didn't even consider mod support in the first place.

But yeah, either way sounds good. Hopefully stuff will be more friendly this time around rather than the crazy workarounds the LW team has had to make.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
There were crazy mfs who hacked og xcom to hell and back but official modding support has never been a thing with them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh what the gently caress. Does the Volunteer survive because it's canon that the player was lovely and didn't get that far?

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
All I want is for the Avenger ship to turn into a Doorn-shaped megazord at some point and go full power rangers on a giant alien ship.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm pretty sure one of these had to be Jake Solomon's actual elevator pitch during a board meeting.

There's old concept art of X-COM as resistance fighters. I'm pretty sure it's something they've wanted to do for awhile.

Considering the optimal way of playing the original game was to creep about exploiting the spotting mechanics, focusing on stealth and guerrilla action seems like a logical next step to take the series and I'm pretty excited to see where it goes.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh what the gently caress. Does the Volunteer survive because it's canon that the player was lovely and didn't get that far?

http://twitter.com/FXS_MisterKevin/status/605463861290893312

Zudrag
Oct 7, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Your volunteer is probably a space ghost or something.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I kind of like the theory that the volunteer survives, sees what's "ahead" that the Ethereals talked about then goes rogue on Xcom to prepare humanity for whatever. Bonus points if we could import our old save so the final boss would be our volunteer.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I was wondering what was happening in the thread since yesterday and then i saw the snake man in the trailer and today is suddenly a good day. :toot:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The trailer was poo poo but the info it conveyed got me excited anyway

The premise sounds great. There are no invading aliens, they already got that over with and now rule the earth (like in Half-Life 2!) :staredog: And it's up to us to rally support and stage a global uprising by exposing the aliens as the assholes they are by the looks of it (like in Half-Life 2!)

Also I hope the swords and melee weapons are powerweapons like in 40K :allears:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I will get this game. I will play this game. I will name troops after my friends and let them know how they died.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I want an entire squad in ninja-power armor with power-katanas sneaking around an alien city and just stealth ganking every alien forever

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Hey man, you died. I had you pull out a machete and run screaming at a giant snake wielding a plasma gun, you should have seen it

Zudrag
Oct 7, 2009

Hopeford posted:

I kind of like the theory that the volunteer survives, sees what's "ahead" that the Ethereals talked about then goes rogue on Xcom to prepare humanity for whatever. Bonus points if we could import our old save so the final boss would be our volunteer.

I bet the head of the alien-friendly administration is Valen or something. She was just a little too obsessed with pushing humanity's boundaries. Especially in EW, it seemed to me that Shen was worried about Valen's obsession.

She'll be a being...made out of almost pure energy! :byodood:

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Part of me was hoping for a DLC that lets you play EW as EXALT, but I think I can live with drone-piloting cyberpunk ninjas fighting aliens.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
What.. IS it.. Doctor?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

dyzzy posted:

Hey man, you died. I had you pull out a machete and run screaming at a giant snake wielding a plasma gun, you should have seen it

"Well, you lasted longer than Nigerian Tess did, but not by much."

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Zzulu posted:

The premise sounds great. There are no invading aliens, they already got that over with and now rule the earth (like in Half-Life 2!) :staredog: And it's up to us to rally support and stage a global uprising by exposing the aliens as the assholes they are by the looks of it (like in Half-Life 2!)

Kind of hoping for some kind of reverse panic level mechanic and a strategy layer that's more about proactively choosing targets instead of just reacting. It wouldn't be super x-comy, but that's okay.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Paradoxish posted:

Kind of hoping for some kind of reverse panic level mechanic and a strategy layer that's more about proactively choosing targets instead of just reacting. It wouldn't be super x-comy, but that's okay.

Kind of like in Apocalypse where you could raid targets for supplies?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't mind losing if it means you encounter Bradford halfway through the game, bearded and grizzled as gently caress with an eyepatch and a cyberarm, wanting to exact his revenge on the xeno scum.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Instead of researching Genemods you just go down to the corner store.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Wouldn't be surprised if there were a lot of inverted mechanics in place, given how it's supposed to be a role reversal. XCOM mission raise 'resistance' levels in countries to get more resources, including abductionrescue missions and terrorpropaganda missions etc. Heck you might even have to keep the Avenger safe from alien interceptors.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Kind of like in Apocalypse where you could raid targets for supplies?

Something like that. Resistances are proactive pretty much by definition, so it'd feel weird to have a game that's all YOU'RE RESISTANCE FIGHTERS NOW so, uh, choose one of these three missions that you have to do right now. I guess I'm just hoping that "missions" end up being more like targets that you can deal with on your own timetable rather than things that happen and now you have to pick one.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

dyzzy posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if there were a lot of inverted mechanics in place, given how it's supposed to be a role reversal. XCOM mission raise 'resistance' levels in countries to get more resources, including abductionrescue missions and terrorpropaganda missions etc. Heck you might even have to keep the Avenger safe from alien interceptors.

There will definitely be some sort of mission to keep the Avenger safe, although whether it's a common thing or just a one-off I have no idea. The base defense was way too popular of a mission for them to do anything else.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Paradoxish posted:

Something like that. Resistances are proactive pretty much by definition, so it'd feel weird to have a game that's all YOU'RE RESISTANCE FIGHTERS NOW so, uh, choose one of these three missions that you have to do right now. I guess I'm just hoping that "missions" end up being more like targets that you can deal with on your own timetable rather than things that happen and now you have to pick one.

It'd be cool if doing missions in different orders changed things, like you've got to cool operations for awhile in Brazil since they're upping security.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I don't care about the cheesiness of the sword scene, i will just assume XCOM finally started a machete squad.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Instead of a Base Defense, maybe a Base Escape: The Avenger is grounded and you need to hold the line until it can leave. When it's time to go, you need to evac or be left behind. Like a cross between the Base Defense and the fishing village.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Toplowtech posted:

I don't care about the cheesiness of the sword scene, i will just assume XCOM finally started a machete squad.

The tech tree is a little weird, but it's doable.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

The tech tree is a little weird, but it's doable.

It was more of a Frisky Dingo/Xtacles reference but it works too.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
A screenshot of the endgame gear in the new Xcom video game

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 1, 2015

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Emily Blunt killed aliens with a big machete in Edge of Tomorrow and it ruled. I'm down with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Chexoid posted:

Emily Blunt killed aliens with a big machete in Edge of Tomorrow and it ruled. I'm down with it.

You mean helicopter blade :spergin:

• Locked thread