Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.

Dolash posted:

Who are these flesh-and-blood human beings who would cast a sincere ballot for Trump? The best I can imagine is Democrats so loaded with schadenfreude they register or do whatever else you have to do simply to keep Trump in the race.

Unless the Democratic primary is somehow still competitive when it gets to my state and a vote for Bernie could do something, I'll be voting Trump as hard as I can. I think all Democrats should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

It'd be just like him to do this now that we won't have Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert to ridicule him.... :(

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

Unless the Democratic primary is somehow still competitive when it gets to my state and a vote for Bernie could do something, I'll be voting Trump as hard as I can. I think all Democrats should.

I don't know the American primary system's details that well, can you only vote in either the democratic or the republican primary?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Dolash posted:

I don't know the American primary system's details that well, can you only vote in either the democratic or the republican primary?

In states with primaries you can only vote once and in some of those states you also have to be a member of the party to vote in its primary.

When the party runs its own caucus you are always supposed to be a member of the party to participate, though enforcement is often not strict. Most of the time the Republican and Democratic caucuses are held on the same day, at different locations.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

You have to register with one party or the other to vote in a primary election, yes.

e:f;b by someone far more knowledgeable and articulate than I am

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Dolash posted:

Depending on the state you may either be allowed to vote only in the primary of the party you are registered in (closed primary), vote in either party's primary, but only the same party for all positions (open primary), or vote among all candidates in each position in preparation for a run-off election after the primary (jungle primary/top-two)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Titus Sardonicus posted:

You have to register with one party or the other to vote in a primary election, yes.

Not in Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, and Wisconsin. They have "open primaries" where you can request either ballot. Arizona and Massachusetts allow unaffiliated voters to pick either ballot, but Democrats can't vote in the Republican primary and vice versa.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ComradeCosmobot posted:

or vote among all candidates in each position in preparation for a run-off election after the primary (jungle primary/top-two)

These systems aren't used for Presidential primaries in any state.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Joementum posted:

These systems aren't used for Presidential primaries in any state.

Also true. I misconstrued the question as being about primaries in general.

Skeevy Mcgee
Feb 17, 2007

Back in 2011, Trump had to stop pretending he was running for president when it came time to renew the contract for his TV show. Is that not still the case, or is the show already cancelled?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

A3th3r posted:

I forgot about that.. He is technically 'latin american,' although he is the whitest mexican guy I have ever seen

Not that Marco's even Mexican, but he's not as white as Louis CK.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.

Joementum posted:

Not in Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, and Wisconsin. They have "open primaries" where you can request either ballot. Arizona and Massachusetts allow unaffiliated voters to pick either ballot, but Democrats can't vote in the Republican primary and vice versa.

Correct. I should have been more specific- I'll be doing that in Mississippi.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
A few major media outlets seem to have finally looked at the poll numbers.

"Let's Put Bernie Sanders's 'Momentum' in Perspective," at tnr.com.

"It's Time for the Media to Admit that Hillary Clinton is Popular" from Matt Yglesias at Vox.

"it is annoying to me that I’m discovering this piece now, instead of three hours ago when I started writing mine." from Slate's Jamelle Bouie on Twitter in response to the Vox article.

Plastic Megaphone
Aug 11, 2007
No more credit from the liquor store.

Joementum posted:

Don't know how common this is, but Wyoming does same-day registration, which allows for party-switching on the day of the primary as well.

E: Aaaand apparently we do caucuses on the presidential side. Oops.

Plastic Megaphone fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 1, 2015

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Plastic Megaphone posted:

Don't know how common this is, but Wyoming does same-day registration, which allows for party-switching on the day of the primary as well.

E: Aaaand apparently we do caucuses on the presidential side. Oops.

In Ohio, the way you register with a party is by voting in that party's primary. Registering to vote is a completely separate thing and there's no party affiliation on the voter registration. You can change party every primary if you want.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum posted:

Yup, this campaign ad violates Senate rules, as do his gifs of Graham rolling his eyes at Rand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=verzCNPkRQY

And Rand's deleted the video :laugh:

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

GalacticAcid posted:

A few major media outlets seem to have finally looked at the poll numbers.

"Let's Put Bernie Sanders's 'Momentum' in Perspective," at tnr.com.

"It's Time for the Media to Admit that Hillary Clinton is Popular" from Matt Yglesias at Vox.

"it is annoying to me that I’m discovering this piece now, instead of three hours ago when I started writing mine." from Slate's Jamelle Bouie on Twitter in response to the Vox article.

Vox is partially owned by Markos Moulitsas, and given his history and more importantly the last year or so of his political rag's shilling for Hillary I'd recommend treating anything coming out of it that obviously isn't opinion in this matter as being extremely slanted opinion. I'd venture a guess Markos is angling for support for a run at a seat in the house or some mid-level position in a Clinton administration to build political credentials for it in the future.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Joementum posted:

I'm in Ohio, pardon my ignorance. By the way, do you have a blog or anything? Following this thread, you remind me of Ken Rudin, the Political Junkie. I used to look forward to that every week on Talk of the Nation.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Titus Sardonicus posted:

I'm in Ohio, pardon my ignorance. By the way, do you have a blog or anything? Following this thread, you remind me of Ken Rudin, the Political Junkie. I used to look forward to that every week on Talk of the Nation.
https://twitter.com/daveweigel

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

GalacticAcid posted:

That's a good read. I'll be curious to see how the media evolves with Clinton over the next year or so.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

Spatula City posted:

I'm still hoping for Joe Biden, just because I like the idea of him being Vice President for life. But with his son dying, I think he's probably done with national politics when Obama's term ends. :smith:

John Hickenlooper would be a good choice. Well-liked governor from a swing-ish state. However, Clinton-Hickenlooper would look silly on a poster, so his name might be the biggest stumbling block. That and he's big into gun control and is divorced.

Martin O'Malley's definitely at least angling for a Cabinet position if not VP.

I guess Jim Webb's plausible. ugh.

Joe Biden, the Don Corleone of this election cycle era? I am still looking for a Sonny to join the fray

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Not that Marco's even Mexican, but he's not as white as Louis CK.

Louis CK is whiter than most white people. He reminds me of Darwin, this kid i went to high school with. Black, but like the whitest-acting guy ever on planet Earth. He was like whiter than the white kids, and I grew up in the suburbs so that's pretty difficult to do.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
lol how many loving republican candidates do we have now?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

A3th3r posted:

Joe Biden, the Don Corleone of this election cycle era? I am still looking for a Sonny to join the fray

The hot-tempered young gun with extramarital issues and an early flameout...unfortunately Carlos Danger's time has passed.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Just a reminder of how 2012 played out for the Republicans up to the primaries:

Basically, each month, a different "not-Romney" candidate would excite the tea party, who would then peak, say something stupid, then crash.

I won't be surprised if something similar happens, though some of the not-Bush candidates seem stronger, and Bush seems weaker (at this point).

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*

Spatula City posted:

I'm still hoping for Joe Biden, just because I like the idea of him being Vice President for life. But with his son dying, I think he's probably done with national politics when Obama's term ends. :smith:

John Hickenlooper would be a good choice. Well-liked governor from a swing-ish state. However, Clinton-Hickenlooper would look silly on a poster, so his name might be the biggest stumbling block. That and he's big into gun control and is divorced.

Martin O'Malley's definitely at least angling for a Cabinet position if not VP.

I guess Jim Webb's plausible. ugh.

There's also Tim Kaine and Sherrod Brown, if we're talking about white dudes from swing states. But I can't really see a Castro being the nom; Hilary's angle is that she's ideologically like Obama but she's experienced and can Get poo poo Done. Since Bernie jumped in she's been wrestling with the first part, and a Castro VP would muddy up the second.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Morrow posted:

Say what you will about Graham, but he has the best campaign logo. He's not trying to be hip or trendy at all. It's a logo you could proudly hang from banners at a mass rally where people salute their commander-in-chief.

Or perhaps a beer hall.

richardfun posted:

It'd be just like him to do this now that we won't have Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert to ridicule him.... :(

Colbert will be back shortly after Stewart leaves. Just because he's not pretending to be a Republican any more doesn't mean he can't still make fun of political (or in Trump's case, "political") figures on The Late Show.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
There will be no shortage of commentary on the GOP field from Colbert, there's no way he'll avoid that comedy goldmine.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

" NorthJersey.com posted:

It began with an innocent question from a determined Cub Scout.

At the end of a town hall-style forum Governor Christie held in April, Charlie Tartaglia, 7 years old and dressed in his navy blue uniform, clutched the microphone to ask how many bodyguards kept watch over the governor.

A beaming Christie opened up to Tartaglia, commending the 30 State Police troopers who form part of his Executive Protection Unit – and in doing so he undercut a key part of his defense in an ongoing court case over his office’s security expenses. To answer the Scout, Christie pointed out a couple of guards in suits and ties, wearing earpieces and standing sentry at the edges of the VFW Hall.

After viewing the video, [Judge] Jacobson said she may order the Christie administration to release an unprecedented log of all the food, travel and lodging expenses charged by his security guards – although she suggested the log would not include details on specific places, such as hotel names.

“The governor speaks so freely about this, how can I conclude that releasing these details on amount of food and so forth could really in any significant way undermine the governor's security?” Jacobson said. She ordered the head of Christie’s security team to testify in private before June 12 on why the records should be kept secret, but she added that she had “skepticism” about Christie’s position and said the governor must meet a “heavy burden” of proof.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

AndNowMax posted:

There's also Tim Kaine and Sherrod Brown, if we're talking about white dudes from swing states.

Brown is a good progressive as well. I think I'd prefer he stay on Capitol Hill, as with Warren (and Bernie, to be honest).

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Not believable due to the lack of an 802 area code.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

PerpetualSelf posted:

lol how many loving republican candidates do we have now?

Some would say too many...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6AlQiWatD4

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
This will never get old.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
I wish HillDawg would just choose some competent current secretary or former office holder for VP. Hell, choose them for every position.

Had it not been for a Christine O'Donnell and a Ken Buck, his VP pick and Interior pick could have lost Dems the Senate much sooner, not to mention they destroyed Janet Napolitano's political future by giving her literally the most-despised department aside from the IRS to run, AND they destroyed Kathleen Sebelius's career by having her run the OBAMACARE department.

Both could have been much stronger competitors for open seats in their respective states in 2010-2012 that what they got.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Davethulhu posted:

Just a reminder of how 2012 played out for the Republicans up to the primaries:

Basically, each month, a different "not-Romney" candidate would excite the tea party, who would then peak, say something stupid, then crash.

I won't be surprised if something similar happens, though some of the not-Bush candidates seem stronger, and Bush seems weaker (at this point).

EstablishmentSupport.png

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Deep Hurting posted:

Or perhaps a beer hall.

Colbert will be back shortly after Stewart leaves. Just because he's not pretending to be a Republican any more doesn't mean he can't still make fun of political (or in Trump's case, "political") figures on The Late Show.

How political can Colbert really go on The Late Show? So far as I understand TV, the late night audience is too big of a demographic to risk alienating them by appearing partisan. Colbert and Stewart may have taken plenty of shots at Democrats over the years but they're still classic American liberals, I'd think if Colbert spent too long mocking the Republican circus people would assume he's taking the same tact as his last show.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Letterman was pretty liberal.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

De Nomolos posted:

I wish HillDawg would just choose some competent current secretary or former office holder for VP. Hell, choose them for every position.

Had it not been for a Christine O'Donnell and a Ken Buck, his VP pick and Interior pick could have lost Dems the Senate much sooner, not to mention they destroyed Janet Napolitano's political future by giving her literally the most-despised department aside from the IRS to run, AND they destroyed Kathleen Sebelius's career by having her run the OBAMACARE department.

Both could have been much stronger competitors for open seats in their respective states in 2010-2012 that what they got.
Completely on board with this. Floating Kaine's name has always confused me as it risks a Senate seat for minimal upside.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

De Nomolos posted:

I wish HillDawg would just choose some competent current secretary or former office holder for VP.

Huh. How about that: Julian Castro is both!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Zelder posted:

Disreputable Dog is gonna quote this post to make a tortured point about liberals being racist. He's Cuban you monster!

*silently mouths "thank you"*

(Though really I'd just point out that the birther movement actually had its roots in a whisper campaign started by the Hillary camp)

• Locked thread