Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Brony Car posted:

Porto isn't the easiest club to make a deal with.

Is that the club being difficult or the tendency for their players to be owned by multiple parties and shady cartels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

vivisectvnv posted:

:agreed:

jackson martizen is thick, strong, athletic, although a total non-factor for the national team for some reason

I don t know how being the top scorer in the World Cup after James is a non-factor for a national team

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Paddyb posted:

Is that the club being difficult or the tendency for their players to be owned by multiple parties and shady cartels?

A combination of both. I read that Mourinho gets a bit more help when it comes to transfers due to his good relationship with Jorge Mendes. Given that Liverpool are relying on Ian Ayre, Barry Hunter, and Rodgers' veneers, I don't expect the same results.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

PerpetualSelf posted:

I don t know how being the top scorer in the World Cup after James is a non-factor for a national team

if you just weren't looking at superficial stats you'd know he has never been their 1st or 2nd choice striker, loving River Plate Gutierrez has consistently been picked in his stead

come on now

also, i have no idea where you got that stat from, since Martinez only scored twice, against Japan in the group stages

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

vivisectvnv posted:

if you just weren't looking at superficial stats you'd know he has never been their 1st or 2nd choice striker, loving River Plate Gutierrez has consistently been picked in his stead

come on now

also, i have no idea where you got that stat from, since Martinez only scored twice, against Japan in the group stages

I can see you have a sharp eye for advanced stats, friend.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

PerpetualSelf posted:

Such a Mickey Mouse league that nearly every single player that goes from it to another team after being successful there almost always does well. Such a Mickey Mouse League that it's Fifa coefficient is far past France's and creeping up on Italy's. Such a Mickey Mouse player that he's scored something like 15 goals in 22 matches in the Champions League against teams like Bayern Munich, PSG, and Atletico. Such a Mickey Mouse player that he's been top scorer in that league for three years running, surpassing every club and league record, ahead of some other "Mickey Mouse Players" like Falcao, James Rodriguez, and Di Maria.

I'm sorry if you spend your days with your nose so deep up Andy Townsend (or whoever passes for a "analyst" over there's) rear end to realize that "Da Pryde an' Jy of my chlestrol coated artyries Engurland" isn't actually "all that" and is full of team that in fact can't even get past a basic Champions League group stage. But see the rest of the world, they have teams that do. With football that is infinitely more entertaining, of better quality, and with just as relevant top players; of which Jackson Martinez is one. Who has broken forth and featured on every single stage he's faced, chewed up one dimensional defensive tactics like the ones you use over in England for breakfast, and scored with every single part of your body, unlike your average white blooded countryman who couldn't be bothered to try a bicycle kick, much less score from one.

I agree with all this.

Messi could never do it in a cold night in Braga.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Watford have made their first signing and it isn't someone from Udinese :eyepop:

Sebastian Prodl to Watford on a free is a Done Deal

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

vivisectvnv posted:

come on now

Jackson Martinez isn't a second forward. He was never in competition for the spot Teo held. Teo in Pekermans system functions as a link between the midfield and the striker. The other players who were in competition for that role were Bacca and Muriel because they both have the qualities of second forward and only a Idiot would play two of the same kind of players. Thats why Pekerman never played Aimar and Riquelme together. But everyone knows Aimar's a poo poo right?

Jackson competed for Falcao's position. Falcao was the top leader of the Colombian team alongside Yepes and continues to be the top leader today. And when it comes to football while skills are nice and good it is leadership and chemistry which will win you games, which Falcao and Teo had more than any other forward duo on the NT.

It also helped that Falcao was flat out the best striker on earth for the majority of Jacksons career and ALWAYS showed up for the national team. Never had a bad match.

Falcao will start over Jackson in the Copa America, because he is still one of the best leaders not only any national team has had but any club has had and despite all this poo poo about horse feces he scored in EVERY single game he has played for Colombia since 2013.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

done

deal

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

the french league really needs to institute squad limits

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Moussa Sissoko posted:

Is he following my progress?

According to what I am hearing, yes.

He is one of the best managers in the world.

He has won so many titles.

Any player would love to be coached by this man.

Cool

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Nice of him to go to bat for John Carver, but what exactly has Carver won?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Who's he taking about?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

Who's he taking about?

Mourinho

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Ings and Milner are expect to sign by the end of the week.

Watch them magically appear in Spurs/Arsenal shirts (respectively) before Friday.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ings doesn't really seem good enough for a team trying to get back into the champions league

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
wouldn't say no to milner but wouldn't want him as first choice

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Good to see PSG being sponsored by a managed monopoly telco that only operates in the basest of nations, and France continuing the smalltime league tradition of fouling up kits with logos.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jose posted:

Ings doesn't really seem good enough for a team trying to get back into the champions league

As a third choice option he's not bad. We'll be playing in Europe so he'll get plenty of game time. Also he actually fits into the system better than Mario or Lambert so that's actually pretty helpful. If it doesn't work out we'll likely be able to sell him for more than what we pay via tribunal.

But yeah, pretty underwhelming given who those around us are interested in. I'm getting the distinct impression that very little was actually planned as far as transfers go this summer.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Double post.

Ewar Woowar fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 1, 2015

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
id love milner

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Milner owns and its cool he's turning down £160k a week to play regularly imo

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jose posted:

Mourinho

Matic, Sissoko, Fabregas...phwoar.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jose posted:

Milner owns and its cool he's turning down £160k a week to play regularly imo

Yep, I would be really happy with Jimmy. Him and Henderson in the middle would be really effective imo.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

i hope liverpool sign gently caress all because they're awful and their fans deserve nothing but disappointment

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Weaponized Cum posted:

i hope liverpool sign gently caress all because they're awful and their fans deserve nothing but disappointment

same, OP

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

Ewar Woowar posted:

As a third choice option he's not bad.

Third choice behind who?

Ings will score a hatful for a top 6/7 side imo

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

code:
gently caress
off
scousers

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jose posted:

I'm pretty sure he just scored more goals for a relegated side than all of Liverpool's strikers put together, so even if he isn't good enough he's still an upgrade and for cheap too, leaving more money available to spend on the many other positions that need to be strengthened, including more strikers.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
To be honest Ings will probably work out as well as all the other "we can't get anyone actually champions league quality, so..." signings. At least he's young.

Edit: p.s ban anyone who posts one of those hexagon graphs

Hoops fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 1, 2015

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I almost feel bad for Liverpool fans. It's an endless parade of overachieving troglodytes that turn to poo poo once they aren't the focal point of everything the team does when in possession.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ewar Woowar posted:

Yep, I would be really happy with Jimmy. Him and Henderson in the middle would be really effective imo.

Until Brenda plays him at wingback or on the side of a back 3 and you make a face.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ninpo posted:

Until Brenda plays him at wingback or on the side of a back 3 and you make a face.

Big Jimmy can do a job anywhere

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
Bad OP, weak, diminutive.

Vinestalk posted:

I almost feel bad for Liverpool fans. It's an endless parade of overachieving troglodytes that turn to poo poo once they aren't the focal point of everything the team does when in possession.

You can shove your sympathy up your arse, you slag!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Supposedly both Ings and Milner are going to Liverpool.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

triple sulk posted:

Supposedly both Ings and Milner are going to Liverpool.

Ings supposedly turned down Spurs and Real Sociedad too lol

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Who was the last striker to score lots of goals for a poo poo (let's say bottom-half) Premier League team and actually make the step up to scoring even more goals for a not poo poo (top 6ish) team?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

sebzilla posted:

Who was the last striker to score lots of goals for a poo poo (let's say bottom-half) Premier League team and actually make the step up to scoring even more goals for a not poo poo (top 6ish) team?

Shearer, Andy Cole, Dwight Yorke are the ones that spring to mind straight away

e: Crouch?

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people

sebzilla posted:

Remy and Ba to Newcastle doesn't quite meet your standards, but were big steps up in performance, Tevez to United probably?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Ninpo posted:

Ings supposedly turned down Spurs and Real Sociedad too lol

But this makes sense

• Locked thread