Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I'll probably be beaten but yes everything (iphone app/forum website) is working normally for me. You have some problems.

Weird, thanks. That's all I needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Verisimilidude posted:

What I don't get is that they established that the wights are really hard to kill back in like season 1 or 2, with that wight attacking the previous commander of the Night's Watch. Jon needed fire to put it down, and attacks with a sword and dagger did literally nothing to it. But I guess now they can be knocked out Pokemon style.

Recently dead versus the ancient and withered piles of bones fighting at Hardhome. Thus the lead White Walker looking so smug in the final scene.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I almost hate calling the wights "zombies" and I see several people call them "Mindless Undead."

The thing is, I'm not sure if they have a group intelligence, are directly linked to the intelligence of the Walkers that started the hordes, or are smart themselves.. but they don't behave, at all, like Zombies outside of hording and being technically undead. Calling them zombies almost feels like calling them vampires or something.

They use weapons, they use tactics, they are fast as gently caress and know how to climb and they purposely use their invincibility to their advantage. Also as we've seen, headshots won't necessarily put one down.

ED: Also every single wight that wasn't chopped to pieces (maybe even then) got back up too. They lost none of them. Maybe a few road pizzas that aren't useful anymore thanks to the awesome Giant.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I was waiting for a Benjen Stark wight.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

Petah posted:

Just for the record, I hardly put any effort into analyzing this scene until people starting refuting my observations. For me it was the first thing I thought of once I saw the kids and seemed incredibly obvious. I'm amazed nobody else has come to the same conclusion.

Clearly you've never visited the Walking Dead threads, where misinterpretation has evolved into an art form.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It seems more like you're yelling "Don't discuss these cool moments!" into the ether.
But I discussed them as much as anyone. I am merely expressing my opinions and they differ from others'.

The other part, as I stated, is that I can't always tell who is arguing in good faith and who's just trying to elicit contrary responses, so I signal my resignation from the debate in case I'm just being gaslighted. It's a perfectly cromulent decision. By all means, please continue for the next ten pages arguing about it. I've said my piece and bowed out.

Topic change:
Would someone remind me about the baby-touch/white walker reference from earlier posts? Is it something I've forgotten or is it just the Craster's Keep scene where Jon gets knocked the gently caress out? Otherwise lemme know the season/ep and I'll go back and check it out again. Thanks!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Topic change:
Would someone remind me about the baby-touch/white walker reference from earlier posts? Is it something I've forgotten or is it just the Craster's Keep scene where Jon gets knocked the gently caress out? Otherwise lemme know the season/ep and I'll go back and check it out again. Thanks!

Season 4 Episode 4.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Al Nipper posted:

Clearly you've never visited the Walking Dead threads, where misinterpretation has evolved into an art form.

The wildling leader lady was stabbed.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Dr. Faustus posted:

Agreed.

It was an especially horrifying moment in an unexpectedly horrifying sequence and I refuse to ascribe any particular reason (especially not her gender or motherhood) to her reaction to the wight children. Some of us just appreciate the sheer terror of the situation and don't need to over analyze the gently caress out of everything. There's no point in trying to read her mind in that moment, regardless of the telegraphed death.

Obviously, one person's "cop-out bad writing scene" is another person's "that was a moment beyond anything I ever thought I'd see on [show], it made me [emote] and that makes it a good scene."

I can't tell if I'm engaging in a real debate or if I am just falling for trolls, so I am leaving it at that.

It's hardly fair to dismiss it as over-analyzing, as if this show existed in a cultural vacuum. Female characters on TV, and yeah, in this show, tend to be stereotyped and mishandled. If they wanted a 'wildling is too horrified to continue' moment, they had tons to work with. They specifically chose the only woman with a speaking role, who was played up as a caring mother. If they were not intentionally playing into that, they handled it poorly.

The show is still good, the episode is still amazing, but people can have a problem with somethings in it without it being trolling.

Vag Assault Weapon posted:

You can see the Thenn already resurrected and killing people before the staredown.

He was killed by a Walker though. People killed by Wights seem to stay down until called upon (otherwise the scene at the end wouldn't make sense, as everyone would already be up)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Lycus posted:

Season 4 Episode 4.
Much appreciated!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's a writeup on the battle that goes over some book stuff too. Nothing spoilery, but it has a bit more about the history of the Night King and Hardholme itself. It's written as a companion for show-only people.

Also if you got sick of smug book people rejoice in the fact that book readers got mega spoiled on some White Walker stuff from last night's episode.

Sad Rhino
Aug 23, 2014
I can only hope that this horrible slaughter, experienced by both sides, means that the show will be spending no more time on Night Watch/Wildling tensions.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Al Nipper posted:

The difference being that that's a thread for a legit terrible show while this is one for a legit amazing show.

Petah
Aug 24, 2006

Keeping the American Imperialists at bay since 1948

theDOWmustflow posted:

Don't White Walkers have to be around and do magic things to raise/convert wights? Pretty sure the only time wights were raised in this ep was at the gates at the beginning of the Battle of Dunkirk Hardhome and then at the end when Jon Snow and the Night King had their epic face-off. In which case, no those kids weren't Val/Free Folk Lady Elder's kids.

The white walkers definitely do not need to be around to raise wights. Remember season 1 where they have a dead guy in castle black who spontaneously comes back from the dead? Maybe they can cast their magic from afar but I think it's pretty clear that it doesn't take a lot of effort to raise a few wights at a time. I think that mass uprising at the end was done more for dramatic effect than anything else.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Crosspostin' from PYF:

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Petah posted:

The white walkers definitely do not need to be around to raise wights. Remember season 1 where they have a dead guy in castle black who spontaneously comes back from the dead? Maybe they can cast their magic from afar but I think it's pretty clear that it doesn't take a lot of effort to raise a few wights at a time. I think that mass uprising at the end was done more for dramatic effect than anything else.

See, when that happened, I thought the trick was that the wight was playing dead, like the ones waiting for Bran and co. They took him back to give him his burial or whatever, but after he rose, they had to institute a solid 'burn all bodies' policy, because they can't know if a body is a wight in waiting

Otherwise, why not just raise all the dead from the battle at Castle Black during it and create enormous chaos?

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 1, 2015

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Bobo the Red posted:

It's hardly fair to dismiss it as over-analyzing, as if this show existed in a cultural vacuum. Female characters on TV, and yeah, in this show, tend to be stereotyped and mishandled. If they wanted a 'wildling is too horrified to continue' moment, they had tons to work with. They specifically chose the only woman with a speaking role, who was played up as a caring mother. If they were not intentionally playing into that, they handled it poorly.

The show is still good, the episode is still amazing, but people can have a problem with somethings in it without it being trolling.

He was killed by a Walker though. People killed by Wights seem to stay down until called upon (otherwise the scene at the end wouldn't make sense, as everyone would already be up)

Oh god, a woman that cared about children on TV and wasn't a total badass fighting till the end...
There are actualy stereotypes that are grounded in reality and whether you like it or not but woman have more empathy especially for children, that's an actual scientifically proven fact. It's also true that people (that includes man and woman) simply react differently to woman in a situation in which horror/violence is involved than they would in the case of a man. There is a reason why there are so many female characters in horror movies. In the end this doesn't have any sexist or stereotyped motivations, it's just an evolutionary/cultural reality that we react different to male or female people in the exact same situations and why it makes more sense to use a female character in such a context (and noone is complaning about the fact that "simple minded and brute" warrior types like the Thenn are always male which is far more offending in theory :p).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Whoever said the White Walker costume designs look like Mortal Kombat X characters is pretty spot on. I love it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LinkesAuge posted:

Oh god, a woman that cared about children on TV and wasn't a total badass fighting till the end...
There are actualy stereotypes that are grounded in reality and whether you like it or not but woman have more empathy especially for children, that's an actual scientifically proven fact. It's also true that people (that includes man and woman) simply react differently to woman in a situation in which horror/violence is involved than they would in the case of a man. There is a reason why there are so many female characters in horror movies. In the end this doesn't have any sexist or stereotyped motivations, it's just an evolutionary/cultural reality that we react different to male or female people in the exact same situations and why it makes more sense to use a female character in such a context (and noone is complaning about the fact that "simple minded and brute" warrior types like the Thenn are always male which is far more offending in theory :p).

Actually the scene was a big troll from D&D to trick someone into typing this.

teagone posted:

Whoever said the White Walker costume designs look like Mortal Kombat X characters is pretty spot on. I love it.

Another WW detail I liked a lot was when the first guy walked through the fire, the flames receded like he was so cold he was putting out the fire.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Siege weapons seem like they'd be pretty drat effective against the undead. Big ol fireball flung from a catapult.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

zoux posted:

Another WW detail I liked a lot was when the first guy walked through the fire, the flames receded like he was so cold he was putting out the fire.

Yeah, that was pretty badass. Everything about the White Walkers is :black101: as gently caress.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

zoux posted:

Noticed that too, it was pretty great.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

zoux posted:

Cold and snow and fog seemed to seep under the gates for a bit too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's a gif of it even

I was paying attention because I thought "I thought these guys got hurt by fire" but nope.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

LinkesAuge posted:

Source your quotes.

teagone posted:

Yeah, that was pretty badass. Everything about the White Walkers is :black101: as gently caress.

Because of that part, I was half expecting Night's King to just freeze the loving water and walk after the boat. That would have been goddamn terrifying.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Only Dragon fire not normal your house is on fire fire.

Edit: I also was expecting him to bust into let it go and freeze the bay.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Xealot posted:

There sure are a lot of tacticians in this thread.

"It makes no sense this woman would be paralyzed with fear by a gang of undead children!" What? Why not? That's terrifying. This is a world where magic de facto didn't exist for 99% of people until a few years ago, and now nearly-invincible ice monsters have started a genocidal campaign against all human life using necromancy.

I'm pretty sure, even if I understood the premise that ice zombies were real, that moment would be paralyzingly scary. This show isn't about level 99 MMO characters who'll rationally switch to their +10 vs. undead maul. It's about deeply flawed and traumatized humans in an unspeakably brutal world that piles on misery.
Exactly. Which reinforces my point that about that Thenn who went with Jon being an absolute loving badass.

The Thenns lived the closest of anyone to the Lands of Winter. The White Walkers more than likely hit them first, so he knows full well he stands no chance with that thing... and he still says to a guy he absolutely hates "get the dragonglass, I loving got this". See that Janos Slynt? That's how you die.

I think I've got a little crush on the guy to be honest, shame he died.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

gently caress that, burn him.
You're objectively wrong.

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Yeah, I hear you. I wish we had some warning about the Winter. As it is, it just came out of nowhere.
emptyquoting

Koboje posted:

For all the spookyness or whatnot these White Walkers seem like they could be killed real easy, if Jon had pocketed a shard he could have tossed it at the White Walker King in the middle of his fancy shmancy ritual and insta killed him, probably screwing up their plans a bit.

Easy anti Whitey plan: Equip best archers/snipers with dragonglass arrows, hide in the snow/wait on the walls for walkers to show, snipe and run.
This is basically GoT's "eagles/mordor/done in 45 mins".

Petah
Aug 24, 2006

Bobo the Red posted:

See, when that happened, I thought the trick was that the wight was playing dead, like the ones waiting for Bran and co. They took him back to give him his burial or whatever, but after he rose, they had to institute a solid 'burn all bodies' policy, because they can't know if a body is a wight in waiting

Otherwise, why not just raise all the dead from the battle at Castle Black during it and create enormous chaos?

The wildlings also had a policy of burning their dead but they don't do it immediately. My guess is that anyone who dies in the North will eventually turn into a wight (around 24-48 after dying), or the white walkers can use their magic to do it immediately. The white walkers seem to have this influence North of the wall and that their influence is creeping south of the wall as Winter approaches.

Petah fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 1, 2015

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Petah posted:

The wildlings also had a policy of burning their dead but they don't do it immediately. My guess is that anyone who dies in the North will eventually turn into a wight (around 24-48 after dying), or the white walkers can use their magic to do it immediately. The white walkers seems to have this influence North of the wall and that their influence is creeping south of the wall as Winter approaches.

That's an interesting idea, but I think, if that were the case, it would be really hard for anyone to actually doubt the Walkers exist. If literally every dead body stopped being dead after a short time, there's hardly room for the skepticism that was dominant even in the Watch.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LinkesAuge posted:

Men being much more murderous than women is actually one of the most significant and statistically stable sex differences in cognition and behavior. Empathy my rear end. Murder is where it's at.

So by your own logic, you're wrong. Male Thenns = :biotruths:. Women being more empathic = pseudoscience. You're sexist, QED

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Maarak posted:

Not quite. The wights don't seem to have much individuality, but the White Walkers controlling them value terrorizing their foes more than efficient slaughter. Using undead children as terror weapons is something we see in the first episode even.
Also worth remembering: the wights that get taken into Castle Black in Season 1 go straight for Mormont. They don't rampage around, they don't kill the first living thing they see. They avoid raising an alarm and remember who the leader of the Night's Watch is and where he sleeps. It's highly intelligent behavior.

zoux posted:

Not "like" that. That is literally what was happening.

Petah
Aug 24, 2006

Bobo the Red posted:

That's an interesting idea, but I think, if that were the case, it would be really hard for anyone to actually doubt the Walkers exist. If literally every dead body stopped being dead after a short time, there's hardly room for the skepticism that was dominant even in the Watch.

When I say the "North" I'm not referring to the kingdom of the North, I am referring to the area north of the wall and other cold areas such as Castle Black. This is also a recent phenomenon that's been slowly growing in it's area of influence. It's also clear that the wildlings do not doubt the existence of the white walkers and I think they've known that since season 2.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bobo the Red posted:

The white walkers were in hiding since prehistory, if their influence is spreading, and with it the prevalence of wighs, there's nobody alive to predict it.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
I actually liked the "Come at me, bro" bit at the end. It's not that he couldn't have killed Jon Snow. It was to send a message. Go tell the others, it matters not. Nothing can stop us, your world is over.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Petah posted:

When I say the "North" I'm not referring to the kingdom of the North, I am referring to the area north of the wall and other cold areas such as Castle Black. This is also a recent phenomenon that's been slowly growing in it's area of influence. It's also clear that the wildlings do not doubt the existence of the white walkers and I think they've known that since season 2.

I know what you were referring to (the Lands Beyond the Wall), but even there, if every dead person was rising from the dead, the Night's Watch would have seen it. It's been 8000 years. Someone would have noticed.

If it's a remote power that is spreading, the Walkers don't have to march at all: they can just wait for Winter, and start raising the dead of Westeros, who by and large are not burned

I think it's more likely that the Walkers have to be present to raise them, but the wights can feign death rather readily, since they are corpses already

The wildlings may not doubt the Walkers exist now, but that's because at this point they're out in the open. There was probably a some skepticism among them for a long time. Hell, even in this episode showed that even the wildlings largely did not actually realize what the Walkers were capable of (otherwise, why would they not immediately go with Jon / panic the way they did).

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Whybird posted:

Crosspostin' from PYF:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Kanine posted:

wait we didn't see any other giants besides the one badass one right? does that mean he's the last of his kind? :(

Theres totally gonna be some undead giants i bet (can giants even be undead? I dont read books)

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Flavahbeast posted:

Theres totally gonna be some undead giants i bet (can giants even be undead? I dont read books)

Yeah the giants were probably not super disciplined about burning their dead, there's bound to be a few crawling through the ice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
According to THE BOOKS there should be few hundred giants left, which makes them endangered, but not quite extinct.

• Locked thread