Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

You'd better not get Anthony killed, Kat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Lurdiak posted:

Just tell me who killed Laura Palmer already so I can stop watching this bullshit!

Are you my ex?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Ha ha.

You guys actually think Reynardine CAN kill Anthony and that he won't have some BS magic science poo poo in that weird fake hand of his.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I should think Anthony at least knows enough to get the no-eye tattoo. Probably.

It's entirely possible that Anthony is an idiot who's dealing with forces he doesn't understand, like, at all, but it's also possible that he's a master science wizard.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fangz posted:

What I do think this sets up is a test of character for Rey. Whether he has actually changed or not. I think he has.

Worst case: Rey DOES go for the kill, Annie arrives right in time to protest, resulting in Rey backing down and running away, as Annie's trust in him is broken.

Then Annie deals with having Darth Vader for a dad.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Really, if Anthony tries to hurt him, he would probably just run away. Maybe back to Kat, maybe back to the forest, depending on what he can do with how he chooses to interpret her command. If he could re-occupy his old body I'd be interested to see how that affects forest/court politics.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Kat is actually awesome, she takes no prisoners (see also the death of the ship) :allears:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I lust for baddad death

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Ha ha.

You guys actually think Reynardine CAN kill Anthony and that he won't have some BS magic science poo poo in that weird fake hand of his.

I think Anthony's being perceived as unbeatable largely because of his position of authority over the protagonist; I don't think he's as nigh-omnipotent as some people seem to be guessing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MikeJF posted:

I think Anthony's being perceived as unbeatable largely because of his position of authority over the protagonist; I don't think he's as nigh-omnipotent as some people seem to be guessing.

Zimmy kicked his rear end pretty easily.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

And any other fire elemental could set Tony on fire. Annie can't.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Everything's gonna go exceedingly alright.

Dinner now please!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I feel like this little exchange is as much-- or maybe even more-- about Kat's anger towards Anthony than it is about any ~*~*~unforeseen consequences~*~*~ from the way it's worded.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Actually, it's about the importance of checking for surveillance cameras. Kat is the worst MGS fan.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Why didn't Kat have a lawyer draft the statement she gave to Renard in an on-the-spot moment of mercy? She should have known better! She should have said something like:

You is privileged to threaten or intentionally use force against Anthony Carver for the purpose of preventing or terminating what you reasonably believes to be an unlawful interference with your person by him. You may intentionally use only such force or threat thereof as you reasonably believe is necessary to prevent or terminate the interference. You may not intentionally use force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm unless you reasonably believe that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to yourself. If you engage in unlawful conduct of a type likely to provoke him to attack you and thereby do provoke an attack you are not entitled to claim the privilege of self-defense against such attack, except when the attack which ensues is of a type causing you to reasonably believe that you are in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm. In such a case, you are privileged to act in self-defense, but you are not privileged to resort to the use of force intended or likely to cause death to him unless you reasonably believes you have exhausted every other reasonable means to escape from or otherwise avoid death or great bodily harm at Anthony Carver's hands. In this order "unlawful" means either tortious or expressly prohibited by criminal law or both.

(Credit where it's due: I'm totally ripping off the Wisconsin definition of self defense)

Keiya fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 1, 2015

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Worst case: Rey DOES go for the kill, Annie arrives right in time to protest, resulting in Rey backing down and running away, as Annie's trust in him is broken.

Then Annie deals with having Darth Vader for a dad.
No, worst case is Tony makes eye-contact with Reynard, without having an Evil Eye ward.

Then Annie deals with having Reynard as a dad,

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

His very small eyes are a protection measure.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I haven't been following this thread, but has anyone floated the theory that the Anthony in the Court might be a robot?

Not an AI robot; a telepresence. The real Anthony might still be in space, puppeteering by remote control.

The guy's got no expressions, no warmth, no soul, and Rey says he spends his downtime in silence.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Speaking of space was it ever said that Anthony was IN the satellite? I always thought it was a simple (as simple as a comm satellite can be) way to send and receive things by long distance and he was just somewhere mysterious but still in earth.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
In any other story this would be the chekov gun for renard killing tony, but Gunnerkrigg court sometimes has an anticlimax when a normal story would go for maximum drama. And Renard is not stupid, he knows what Tony means to Annie. We'll see where this goes.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Blackheart posted:

Speaking of space was it ever said that Anthony was IN the satellite? I always thought it was a simple (as simple as a comm satellite can be) way to send and receive things by long distance and he was just somewhere mysterious but still in earth.

I... didn't think anyone believed him to be in the satellite. I thought it was stated to be a delivery system.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

I... didn't think anyone believed him to be in the satellite. I thought it was stated to be a delivery system.

That's what I've always assumed too, I ask because I've seen too many comments mentioning "Anthony in space".

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Alright but I stand by my point, that Tony might still be somewhere else and the Tony that's here is a puppet.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

IMJack posted:

I haven't been following this thread, but has anyone floated the theory that the Anthony in the Court might be a robot?

Not an AI robot; a telepresence. The real Anthony might still be in space, puppeteering by remote control.

The guy's got no expressions, no warmth, no soul, and Rey says he spends his downtime in silence.

That theory has been floated, yeah, but given what we know of the man, I don't think it's too far-fetched that this bozo is the genuine article

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Blackheart posted:

If Tony is in the satellite, and given the size of the rockets they used to put that satellite in orbit in the first place, it's either "bigger on the inside" or Tony drank a shrink potion while in Wonderland.

I mean it's not named "Microsat-5" because it's large enough to be a human habitat.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Not in the one they launched, I mean apparently several people took it as if he was living in a space station or something.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I can't help but see her phrasing and think of SS13

"Renard, only Kat and those she designates are human."

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I've referred to space surgery or something like that, but I never really had it in my head that he himself was in space. The projection of Anthony that Zimmy punched was seemingly in space, though. Taking Zimmy vision literally is a mistake of course, but surmising that the satellite was the conduit for the surgery seems reasonable.

Of course, I also thought it was reasonable to assume that Renard wouldn't have been transferred to Kat offscreen so who knows.

e: typing on phones is hard :saddowns:

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 1, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Blackheart posted:

Actually, it's about the importance of checking for surveillance cameras. Kat is the worst MGS fan.
They've got Smitty with them, even if there are surveillance cameras it'll turn out they teleported into the one part of the room that is a blind spot.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I've referred to space surgery or something like that, but I never really had it in my head that he himself was in space. The projection of Anthony that Zimmy punched was seemingly in space, though. Taking Zimmy vision literally is a mistake of course, but surmising that the satellite was the conduit for the surgery seems reasonable.

Of course, I also thought it was reasonable to assume that Renard wouldn't have been transferred to Kat offscreen so who knows.

e: typing on phones is hard :saddowns:

My guess is he was relaying his surgery-presence through the satellite, using the scalpel Annie sent him as an aetheric tether. Or something :ghost:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Blackheart posted:

That's what I've always assumed too, I ask because I've seen too many comments mentioning "Anthony in space".

Too many!!!!!!!

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Rand Brittain posted:

I should think Anthony at least knows enough to get the no-eye tattoo. Probably.

It's entirely possible that Anthony is an idiot who's dealing with forces he doesn't understand, like, at all, but it's also possible that he's a master science wizard.

Wouldn't Anthony need the Donovans' help to get the no-eye tattoo? It's their invention after all. Unless he was still around back when they captured Renard the first time. That part of the timeline is still fuzzy.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Got my friend to get me a copy of Traveller and send it to me.

It's good! I like his black and white stuff.

Saying anything else would be a spoiler, I guess.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

Too many!!!!!!!

Quite a few even

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Alien Arcana posted:

Wouldn't Anthony need the Donovans' help to get the no-eye tattoo? It's their invention after all. Unless he was still around back when they captured Renard the first time. That part of the timeline is still fuzzy.

Yeah and I don't think Carver's really the smoky-candlelit-bar type either

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Mercury Hat posted:

Got my friend to get me a copy of Traveller and send it to me.

It's good! I like his black and white stuff.

Saying anything else would be a spoiler, I guess.

Dang was he selling it at a convention? I wanna get my hands on it.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

He had it at MCM, but he mentions it'll be available to buy online soon?
    "A really fun MCM this year! I talked with so many great people. I hope people enjoy Traveller! It'll be available to buy online soon."
So maybe Topatoco will have copies or something.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Does no one remember the Hettie chapter?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

AfroSquirrel posted:

Does no one remember the Hettie chapter?

I do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Never Forgettie