Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
The best food for Millenials is Soylent. Add in an option to buy it with bitcoin(as if there already wasn't one) and rake in the money. Maybe even make some buzzfeed 'listicle' about how soylent's the new craze or childhood cartoon characters eating soylent and you've got yourself a campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Postal Parcel posted:

The best food for Millenials is Soylent. Add in an option to buy it with bitcoin(as if there already wasn't one) and rake in the money. Maybe even make some buzzfeed 'listicle' about how soylent's the new craze or childhood cartoon characters eating soylent and you've got yourself a campaign.

Is there a fat-free sugar-free low-sodium variety? :colbert:

Also, the next step will be a Lifehack YouTube video on DIY soylent.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

death .cab for qt posted:

I'm glad that McDonald's did their careful millenial marketing research. Now all my friends and I drive the extra block to Taco Bell or Burger King to buy things for a dollar instead of a buck fifty.

Seriously, that has to be the most hocus-pocus horseshit about marketing toward a specific demographic that I've ever seen. The people looking for higher quality burgers sure as poo poo ain't looking at McDonald's, and the broke rear end early 20 somethings who want a burger while earning a less-than-livable wage are going to buy cheaper fast food instead

The reason the dollar menu is going away is that poo poo gets more expensive with time. Ground beef is more expensive than it used to be, the ingredients for the cheese are more expensive than it used to be, etc. Either you keep a dollar menu and watch it shrink as the things that used to be profitable to sell for a dollar become more expensive (Like, the double cheeseburger used to be on the dollar menu, but they replaced it with the McDouble, which is the same thing but with one slice of cheese instead of two), or you abandon the pleasing marketing hook of the dollar menu and go to a $1.50 menu, or whatever.

It's got nothing to do with the loving millenials, it's got to do with inflation:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/10/why-mcdonalds-killed-the-dollar-menu-in-1-chart/280778/

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Phanatic posted:

The reason the dollar menu is going away is that poo poo gets more expensive with time. Ground beef is more expensive than it used to be, the ingredients for the cheese are more expensive than it used to be, etc. Either you keep a dollar menu and watch it shrink as the things that used to be profitable to sell for a dollar become more expensive (Like, the double cheeseburger used to be on the dollar menu, but they replaced it with the McDouble, which is the same thing but with one slice of cheese instead of two), or you abandon the pleasing marketing hook of the dollar menu and go to a $1.50 menu, or whatever.

It's got nothing to do with the loving millenials, it's got to do with inflation:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/10/why-mcdonalds-killed-the-dollar-menu-in-1-chart/280778/

And national weather patterns. Beef and its byproducts were predicted to go up after 2012 as the drought started to get real bad. We had a glut of beef in the market due to a higher slaughter rate as farmers couldn't keep as many going. And now we're continuing to see the effects. It's pretty interesting.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
It was only in 1991 with the Broadcasting Act 1990 - one of the last pieces of Thatcherite "deregulate everything" legislation - that the responsibility of collecting the licence fee went from the government to the BBC. Whilst the BBC collects it it still goes to the governments consolidated fund, then to the Department of Culture, Media & Sport, who then decide how much of it goes back to the BBC, how much of it goes to the broadcasting infrastructure, how much goes to Channel 4 (also state-owned but seemingly "self reliant") etc.

It is one of the great scams of our country that despite everything to do with public broadcasting having been introduced by and legislated for by the government they've still managed to convince everyone that if anything goes wrong it must be the BBCs fault. To put it in simpler terms, the government tells the BBC what to do and if that turns out to be the wrong decision then the BBC get the blame for doing it, not the government for instructing it.

Sure, the government pays lip service to television licence "reform" every now and then, most notably in 2013(?) when they introduced legislation to decriminalise non-payment of the TV licence. It was only a one-line whip on that vote because they'd already instructed the House of Lords to knock it back again anyway, so now it'll bounce around between the two houses for eternity, never actually becoming anything close to a law. Naturally, this was blamed on the BBC.

Broadcasting law can only be reformed through the House of Commons, not through Dear Terry Wogan, Why should I have to pay for Top Gear? Regards, duckmaster.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Super Waffle posted:

Speaking as an American, I really like BBC shows and I don't want them to go away :ohdear:

If you want to chip in for my tv licence and do your part to keep the BBC as wasteful and indulgent as it is today, feel free.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Time was the BBC knew it was owned by the British taxpayer and if you rang them up they would send you tapes of any shows you wanted because you'd already paid for them.

Now they're the most expensive dvds on the shelves.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

obviously the solution to this is more privatization!!!!!!!!!!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Privatization does generally seem to be a good way to generate good television shows.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Phanatic posted:

Privatization does generally seem to be a good way to generate good television shows.

gently caress your good shows, I want more Doctor Who.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Phanatic posted:

Privatization also gave us ABC's insanely racist sitcom lineup. I'm not even sure how Black Attack and Those Kooky Gooks got greenlit, but privatized production has proven time and time again that bad ideas aren't the sole property of publicly-funded TV.

Fur20 has a new favorite as of 20:09 on Jun 1, 2015

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The White Dragon posted:

Privatization also gave us ABC's insanely racist sitcom lineup. I'm not even sure how Black Attack and Those Kooky Gooks got greenlit, but privatized production has proven time and time again that bad ideas aren't the sole property of publicly-funded TV.

The free market is good at snuffing out universally hated poo poo.

Tax-payer funded drivel soldiers on if a few higher ups like the sound of it.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

IDGAF if TV is privatized or gov't funded, I just want all my favorite shows to be released online an entire season at a time like House of Cards (US).

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Thank god the free market produces an unending supply of lovely reality television, I'd hate if one of those was replaced by something educational or artful.

If there's one thing this thread has proven, it's that corporations have no idea what you like but by god they're going to sell something to someone.

DreamtShadow
Aug 21, 2010

Radio Help posted:

I'm only mad cuz I'm jealous of your free air pumps dude :(

You guys need to move to Connecticut then, because all gas stations are required by law to provide free air. That doesn't stop them from being scummy about it and trying to charge at the air compressor, but every compressor has to say that you can go in and get free air. Just gotta walk in and ask the clerk to turn on the air for you.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I didn't say that "privitization can't produce utter crap," and TV programming definitely follows Sturgeon's Law. There are entire channels that somehow manage to persist without for years having seemingly a single program worth watching (TLC in particular seems to be a bottomless cesspool of reality shovelware).

But, during a point in time where there's an unprecedented number of seriously loving excellent shows in pretty much any genre you'd care to name, the notion that public funding for broadcasting is necessary to produce good television is somewhat tone-deaf. There are plenty of lovely movies being made, too, but nobody's clamoring that we should charge people license fees so a government agency can turn out some feature films.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Phanatic posted:

over under on someone blaming the fast food workers wanting a living wage for the cost increase?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The White Dragon posted:

Assuming "Those Kooky Gooks" (what the gently caress is wrong with you, by the way?) is Fresh Off the Boat, it's probably more racist against white people (namely Floridians) than Asians. It's not an Asian minstrel show, and I'm glad that Asian Americans can finally have their own show instead of being second fiddle.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Phanatic posted:

I didn't say that "privitization can't produce utter crap," and TV programming definitely follows Sturgeon's Law. There are entire channels that somehow manage to persist without for years having seemingly a single program worth watching (TLC in particular seems to be a bottomless cesspool of reality shovelware).

Possibly one of the worst examples you could have picked - TLC was originally a publicly-funded channel that was then a non-profit independent private channel, then started sliding down into poo poo almost immediately after it got bought by Discovery Communications.

GrandpaPants posted:

Assuming "Those Kooky Gooks" (what the gently caress is wrong with you, by the way?) is Fresh Off the Boat, it's probably more racist against white people (namely Floridians) than Asians. It's not an Asian minstrel show, and I'm glad that Asian Americans can finally have their own show instead of being second fiddle.

Part of the problem is that most of the commercials about it that I've seen seem to play up the "come laugh at Asian stereotypes" angle, and if it weren't based on an autobiography there would have been a lot more outcry over it from that alone.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Possibly one of the worst examples you could have picked - TLC was originally a publicly-funded channel that was then a non-profit independent private channel, then started sliding down into poo poo almost immediately after it got bought by Discovery Communications.

TLC was privatized in *1980*, prior to which it was called the Appalachian Community Service Network and was viewed by approximately nobody. You're absolutely right that Discovery Communications wound up breaking all its legs but hasn't had the heart to just drag it behind the barn and shoot it, but any good programming that anyone remembers being shown on it was when it was a privately-run channel.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

You're thinking of Misophonia, not ASMR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia

I have Misophonia bigtime. The sound of open-mouthed chewing in particular drives me up the loving wall. Eating with my parents is a horrific experience.

This is from way too long ago, but holy poo poo, is this why certain kinds of singing (a capella performances, kids' voices) make my stomach turn and tears build up behind my eyes? (Not in an "Oh this is so beautiful, it's bringing tears to my eyes" way, in an "Oh dear God I can't take this, why am I about to cry, please please stop" way.) I'd always just thought I was some kind of real-world Captain Planet villain/evil caricature because I can't stand the sound of children singing. This is better.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Part of the problem is that most of the commercials about it that I've seen seem to play up the "come laugh at Asian stereotypes" angle, and if it weren't based on an autobiography there would have been a lot more outcry over it from that alone.

I just watched a couple trailers for it and to me it just looks like an Asian The Wonder Years. I only laughed at one joke and that was about a guy from Boston. Whether it's a racist show or not, it looks painfully unfunny.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Karma Monkey posted:

I just watched a couple trailers for it and to me it just looks like an Asian The Wonder Years. I only laughed at one joke and that was about a guy from Boston. Whether it's a racist show or not, it looks painfully unfunny.

Well, it IS on ABC.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

GrandpaPants posted:

I've seen half an episode, and I agree.
The TV/film checklist for Asian characters says that they must be a dry cleaner owner, doctor, scientist/computer hacker, or martial arts expert. And males may never ever be the love interest

That show doesn't really seem to conform in that way.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Phanatic posted:

TLC was privatized in *1980*, prior to which it was called the Appalachian Community Service Network and was viewed by approximately nobody. You're absolutely right that Discovery Communications wound up breaking all its legs but hasn't had the heart to just drag it behind the barn and shoot it, but any good programming that anyone remembers being shown on it was when it was a privately-run channel.

Privately-run non-profit. Considering that most of the argument has been (as far as I can tell) not about privatization in general but specifically about profit-seeking commercial enterprise, TLC is the exact counterargument to "profit-based television produces better content".

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I think a big part of the problem is no one knows how to properly define what a Millennial is; I've seen the birth dates range from 1977 to 2014 (the latter being about baby food and defined current babies as the last of the Millennials), though most are from 1980-2000 or so.

Combing through food-oriented Millennial research is a major part of my job, and the dirty secret is this: no one knows what the hell Millennials want. The most common response is they want high quality, they want cheap, they want socially responsible and they want personalized all at once. Which is pretty useless information for a company, because they might as well be asking for a unicorn in terms of how easy* it is to hit all those buttons simultaneously. The usual result is that terrible Campbell's ad campaign earlier in the thread.

One interesting thing is that current research about older Millennials (mid-30s) says that they're exactly the same as Gen Xers in terms of shopping habits. In my semi-educated opinion this is because they are Gen Xers. I feel like companies would have better results splitting Millennials up into three mini-generations that came of age before, during or after the Great Recession. All three groups would have similar social/quality desires from their food, but fairly different disposable income/economic prospects and likely different answers on what they'd like to pay.

*I know they could afford it, and some companies are hitting them pretty well, but good luck getting initiatives for all four desires past shareholders 99% of the time.

This is an interesting post and you should write more about your job.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I've only seen the commercials, but those gave me the impression that the show is 1950s racist. At no point did the ads ever give me the impression that it was gonna be anything other than the made-up title I called it.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Combing through food-oriented Millennial research is a major part of my job, and the dirty secret is this: no one knows what the hell Millennials want. The most common response is they want high quality, they want cheap, they want socially responsible and they want personalized all at once. Which is pretty useless information for a company, because they might as well be asking for a unicorn in terms of how easy* it is to hit all those buttons simultaneously. The usual result is that terrible Campbell's ad campaign earlier in the thread.

I think that question can be easily answered without millions of dollars in demographics research, but the answer is just as oblique as the question: "don't feed us obvious poison, don't pander to us, and PS we know enough about marketing to know that you're bad at your job." It's really hard to effectively use psychological sleight of hand in ads when you've been using that style since before most millennials were born. But then again I lionize the bygone days when you could just show a picture of a thing with "IT'S GOOD!" in huge lettering underneath it and call it a day.

Radio Help has a new favorite as of 02:30 on Jun 2, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Phanatic posted:

But, during a point in time where there's an unprecedented number of seriously loving excellent shows in pretty much any genre you'd care to name, the notion that public funding for broadcasting is necessary to produce good television is somewhat tone-deaf. There are plenty of lovely movies being made, too, but nobody's clamoring that we should charge people license fees so a government agency can turn out some feature films.
No one said commercial television doesn't produce good stuff, it's just that government funded television can make stuff that isn't commercially viable but may still be valuable. And governments already do finance movies.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Radio Help posted:

I think that question can be easily answered without millions of dollars in demographics research, but the answer is just as oblique as the question: "don't feed us obvious poison, don't pander to us, and PS we know enough about marketing to know that you're bad at your job." It's really hard to effectively use psychological sleight of hand in ads when you've been using that style since before most millennials were born. But then again I lionize the bygone days when you could just show a picture of a thing with "IT'S GOOD!" in huge lettering underneath it and call it a day.

On the other hand it has given some of the most hilarious marketing failures in decades along with an entire genre of viral fads that are completely meaningless but that millennials become obsessed about (Kony 2012 for example).

The Campbells soup campaign was essentially the best example of what ad execs and marketing "experts" think about the youngest generations. A bunch of hip quirky buzzwords, indie sounding quotes, and people taking selfies and making duck lips is enough to capture that market.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I think the real issue is that (at least in my area) millenials abhor big companies and see them as a necessary evil when it comes to food. They don't want to eat campbells/pizza hut/McDonalds they do it because you can't eat at the local Banh-Mi place every single day. And they don't like being called out as a separate entity and marketed towards.

They do really like nostalgia and working class ethos tho, so I guess if you want to market food to millenials step one is looking at the last fifteen years of PBR marketing.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I recently saw "Olives to Go" advertised. Gotta make olives the hip young food that you gotta get on the go. It was so "what the gently caress" to me. David Cross has a great bit about pandering companies in his HBO special.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I keep seeing this ad on TV on the rare times I watch something life. It's so cringingly bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBoJWyLHLNY

Didn't anyone stop to think "You know, maybe we shouldn't have her flash roughly a billion dollars worth of jewlery while asking for donations?"

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Enos Shenk posted:

I keep seeing this ad on TV on the rare times I watch something life. It's so cringingly bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBoJWyLHLNY

Didn't anyone stop to think "You know, maybe we shouldn't have her flash roughly a billion dollars worth of jewlery while asking for donations?"

Well a wise philosopher did say once not to be fooled by the rocks that she's got because she's still she's still Jenny from the block.

It shits me that I can remember that and yet not remember the name of the console I'm supposed to be connecting to.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
I'm honestly kind of confused why big companies are so bad at advertising to millennials since I'm one of them (born 1990) and going into graphic design and advertising was a really popular choice when I went to college (it's what I went for and there were a lot of us). They should have a huge pool of actual millennials to pull from to make ads catering to their own generation, but they still manage to gently caress it up most of the time.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I think a big part of the problem is no one knows how to properly define what a Millennial is; I've seen the birth dates range from 1977 to 2014 (the latter being about baby food and defined current babies as the last of the Millennials), though most are from 1980-2000 or so.

One interesting thing is that current research about older Millennials (mid-30s) says that they're exactly the same as Gen Xers in terms of shopping habits. In my semi-educated opinion this is because they are Gen Xers. I feel like companies would have better results splitting Millennials up into three mini-generations that came of age before, during or after the Great Recession. All three groups would have similar social/quality desires from their food, but fairly different disposable income/economic prospects and likely different answers on what they'd like to pay.

*I know they could afford it, and some companies are hitting them pretty well, but good luck getting initiatives for all four desires past shareholders 99% of the time.

What I keep seeing from marketing in general is not just a matter of not knowing what millenials want but rather failing to understand that millenials are loving broke. It doesn't matter what anybody does at this point. Millenials just flat out have less spending power. "We did X and millenials are not buying from us so obviously X does not appeal to them" means gently caress all if they can't afford anything. How many people in their mid to late 20's have 6 digits of student loans and are making minimum wage or slightly above? Good luck convincing that demographic to spend money on anything, ever.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Turfahurf posted:

I'm honestly kind of confused why big companies are so bad at advertising to millennials since I'm one of them (born 1990) and going into graphic design and advertising was a really popular choice when I went to college (it's what I went for and there were a lot of us). They should have a huge pool of actual millennials to pull from to make ads catering to their own generation, but they still manage to gently caress it up most of the time.

What makes you think millenials would be better at marketing to themselves?

What makes you think they aren't the ones already doing a lot of it?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Turfahurf posted:

In 40 years if marketing still exist as it does today (maybe because a few people will manage to figure out how to redefine the concept in the age of information) the last decade or so of ads and marketing will be held up as testaments to a dying empire oblivious to its own failings and marching steadfastly towards a cliff.

As with most major aspects of business, it doesn't matter how many young people they hire the ones in power are old,entrenched, incapable of shifting to rapidly changing market environments, and simply latch on to the newest "hot thing" without any idea of what, why, or how, simply hoping it'll make money. Video games are a good example, many big name companies started dumping money into MMOs and "freemium" games because they saw the success of things like WoW and Farmville and simply assumed "oh, all we need is to drop 10-20 million in this and we'll make out like bandits!" and completely failed to understand that those games were the exception not the rule. SquareEnix had one of its best years in 2013/14 yet posted losses (due to other reasons) and blamed their consoles games for "under-performing" despite them all being massive successes and making a shitton of money.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Video games are weird because the pricepoint hasn't really changed in 20 years. And the weird psychology of buying video games, like I'll go pay 10bux to see a bad movie, but I won't even spend $2 on a game I don't like. Video games are forced to be successful because they have pretty massive overhead and if they don't succeed, welp. Halo 3 spent something like 60 million dollars on advertising.

darkhand has a new favorite as of 10:48 on Jun 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

pentyne posted:

SquareEnix had one of its best years in 2013/14 yet posted losses (due to other reasons) and blamed their consoles games for "under-performing" despite them all being massive successes and making a shitton of money.

That seemed like a misunderstanding of their own products to me. They (and I believe this is the direct development side of S-E, so the guys behind Final Fantasy but not people like Eidos) said this year they were focusing more on the mobile market because the console market was 'too crowded', but the real reason is most likely just because of the games. Most of S-E's mobile offerings are either ports of or mechanically in-keeping with their classic and well-regarded games, and are typically very well-received. Meanwhile, most of their console offerings are abandoning the actual RPG elements of their flagship RPG franchise.

Of course, the very idea that the console market is 'too crowded' in their case is ludicrous, given the genre in question. RPGs are going very strongly on both the 3DS and (I believe) phones, with several very successful franchises going on. Meanwhile on the console market, FFXV is competing with one game this year for the JRPG crowd.