Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

RandomCheese posted:

I get weird behaviour with serum sometimes (in Logic X), the whole project can start skipping/lagging when it hits the bits made with it, but other times it's fine as well. I doubt it's the cpu, I have a high end i5 and the projects cpu levels are generally low. I had a look in their forums and the dude mentioned that in some situations the amount of voices a patch has can escalate into the hundreds/thousands when polyphony and unison are taken into account so that might be the cause.

Yeah it only starts getting screwy when I play more than one note with a more complicated patch.
I guess I'll just have to make patches with a low number of voices until an update fixes it :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I guess NI's hardware isn't selling like they want it to, because now at least the Maschine 2 and Komplete Kontrol keyboards come with 10 plugins:

MASSIVE – definitive synth for basses and leads
MONARK – iconic monophonic synthesizer
THE GENTLEMAN – vintage upright piano
DRUMLAB – acoustic and electronic drums
REAKTOR PRISM – vibrant modal synth and effects
SCARBEE MARK I – classic electric piano
RETRO MACHINES – vintage analog synths and keyboards
VINTAGE ORGANS – five drawbar legends reborn
WEST AFRICA – polyrhythmic percussion and melodies
SOLID BUS COMP – versatile compressor effect

I already have these, since owning Komplete is the entire reason I bought their hardware, but if you don't have any of these it goes a long way to making the MSRP of the keyboards a lot more palatable.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Swagger Dagger posted:

I guess NI's hardware isn't selling like they want it to, because now at least the Maschine 2 and Komplete Kontrol keyboards come with 10 plugins:

MASSIVE – definitive synth for basses and leads
MONARK – iconic monophonic synthesizer
THE GENTLEMAN – vintage upright piano
DRUMLAB – acoustic and electronic drums
REAKTOR PRISM – vibrant modal synth and effects
SCARBEE MARK I – classic electric piano
RETRO MACHINES – vintage analog synths and keyboards
VINTAGE ORGANS – five drawbar legends reborn
WEST AFRICA – polyrhythmic percussion and melodies
SOLID BUS COMP – versatile compressor effect

I already have these, since owning Komplete is the entire reason I bought their hardware, but if you don't have any of these it goes a long way to making the MSRP of the keyboards a lot more palatable.

They also have yet to do a half-price sale for existing Komplete owners, but instead made it half price if you buy a keyboard. I pretty much only upgrade Komplete during those sales, so I've been watching that (and people's reaction to it) on Facebook for the past year. I wouldn't be surprised if most users only upgrade during those sales, so I wonder what it's doing to their revenue.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

They also have yet to do a half-price sale for existing Komplete owners, but instead made it half price if you buy a keyboard. I pretty much only upgrade Komplete during those sales, so I've been watching that (and people's reaction to it) on Facebook for the past year. I wouldn't be surprised if most users only upgrade during those sales, so I wonder what it's doing to their revenue.

Same here, and as far as I can tell, it seems they're doing everything they can to avoid doing a sale like that. When I first got Komplete (8, I think?) there were 3-4 half price upgrade sales, and since I got 9, I think there's been only one upgrade sale for 10. I think the sales of the hardware was more anemic than they expected, so it might be a combination of trying to drive up hardware sales, and cut revenue losses on half-off sales. But with the price on the Kontrol keyboards, I'm not surprised they're not selling well.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
No complaints from me, they just sent me a reg code for the VSTs for my almost two years ago Maschine purchase.

Having Komplete 9 I have most of them but I can always use what I didn't.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I hope NI forgets about this keyboard project sooner rather than later

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Earwicker posted:

I hope NI forgets about this keyboard project sooner rather than later

It seems like a weird market to get into. Though I'll admit there's a dearth of keyboard MIDI controllers that map effectively to any VSTs. I say this with a Novation Impulse sitting in front of me, too. Automap works wonderfully about 20% of the time.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

It seems like a weird market to get into. Though I'll admit there's a dearth of keyboard MIDI controllers that map effectively to any VSTs. I say this with a Novation Impulse sitting in front of me, too. Automap works wonderfully about 20% of the time.

I also use the Impulse, but I don't use the Automap at all. My setup is Ableton-centric and the Impulse syncs up with everything (including VST's) without any problem at all.. automap is just kind of an extra pain in the rear end for not much gain. And the idea of getting another keyboard controller just for kontakt-specific stuff seems like a huge waste of money.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Earwicker posted:

I also use the Impulse, but I don't use the Automap at all. My setup is Ableton-centric and the Impulse syncs up with everything (including VST's) without any problem at all.. automap is just kind of an extra pain in the rear end for not much gain. And the idea of getting another keyboard controller just for kontakt-specific stuff seems like a huge waste of money.

Yeah, I definitely don't regret getting the Impulse, it was more expensive than most MIDI controllers, but it's also built a heck of a lot better than most of them. Never used it with Ableton, but I've been considering going down that road, so its good to know.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I like my Impulse but every time I try using the after touch I feel like I'm gonna break my fingers. I don't have a lot of experience with other AT controllers -- are most keyboards that stiff?

At any rate, I rebound after touch to my expression pedal and that seems to work a lot better.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thing is I have actually contemplated getting a Kontrol keyboard, because I use Kontakt for frickin' everything. I just haven't tried the action on one yet, and that's a big deal for me. Even WITH possibly wanting one of the keyboards, though, I'm a little irritated about the lack of sales on Komplete. Not that they owe me that or anything, just that I'm used to getting their new thing every year or two for half price and really don't have the budget to pay full price for it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

aren't the regular komplete sales usually in the summer?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Earwicker posted:

Yes, but sometimes it's only a discount on upgrades or crossgrades. There are normally big discounts on new purchases before a new Komplete release and during the Christmas shopping season.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

I thought they usually did two a year, but I may be misremembering. How long as K10 been out? Maybe it hasn't been as long as I thought.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Maybe six months or so. They did a sale last August for K9 and I think K10 came out maybe a month later.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ah, okay. For some reason I thought it had been over a year.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Trig Discipline posted:

Ah, okay. For some reason I thought it had been over a year.
I've been obsessively tracking Komplete releases for the past few years. 2008 and 2012 are the only years when a new Komplete has not been released, and except for Komplete 2 and 9, all editions have been released in September or October.

If we go purely by history, that would indicate a strong chance of Komplete 11 coming out this Fall, but some folks are wondering whether NI have slipped into a one-and-a-half year release cycle, based on the gaps between K8->K9 and K9->K10.

I've half considered keeping track of the sales to see if a real pattern emerged, but that could be a research hassle. It was hard enough tracking down the release dates and release contents for each version.

One thing to keep in mind with NI is that they rarely do grace period updates. If you buy Komplete 10 today and they release Komplete 11 tomorrow, you'll likely have to pay for an upgrade like everyone else.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Radiapathy posted:

If we go purely by history, that would indicate a strong chance of Komplete 11 coming out this Fall,

With at least 20 identical sounding pianos.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

0dB posted:

Modartt's Pianoteq is the only one you need. :colbert:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

0dB posted:

to be fair i do think the maverick/grandeur/gentleman are a pretty big improvement over the new york/berlin/vienna pianos

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Pianoteq is seriously the best piano plugin out there imo. Never going back to sample based pianos again

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SineRider posted:

Pianoteq is seriously the best piano plugin out there imo. Never going back to sample based pianos again

The fact that it allows you to change the piano sound to exactly how you want it, move mics around, change up tunings, 128 (well, 127) true velocity levels, and even play/record in binaural mode, all at < 100mb, is a thing of beauty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=426eTR-Tpw8

No samples whatsoever! :toot:

I doubt that anyone in this thread hasn't heard of it, but hey, in case there's anyone out there, check it out.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

I doubt that anyone in this thread hasn't heard of it, but hey, in case there's anyone out there, check it out.

I hadn't. :ocelot:

I'm going to buy it for the really solid clavichord & harpsichord emulation alone b/c I play a load of old keyboard music, and my Clavinova inbuilt sounds are starting to sound a bit old and tired now...

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

This. I'm kind of disappointed in NI's recent releases, especially with them being so piano heavy. There are so many plugin designers that do the same job so much better. Plus the only other recent release that interests me is Polyplex, and that's basically a Twisted Tools synth, not an NI one.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Looking for something to record and then loop audio in real time. What would you guys recommend?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

Looking for something to record and then loop audio in real time. What would you guys recommend?

Software or hardware? If you have an iPad, Loopy is a good way to get your feet wet for cheap. Hardware, it really depends on how much sophistication you need out of your device. Software on a Mac or PC, I can guess that pretty much everyone is going to say "something something Ableton something something".

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

VST, yeah. There's some stuff built into reaper that's promising but doesn't give a lot of visual feedback.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ah, okay. I don't know anything whatsoever about any looping VSTs, I'm afraid.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

I haven't used either, but two plugins I've seen recommended for looping several times on KVR were Circular Labs Mobius and Livid Looper. I think they're both freeware.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yo JRR just put K10 and K10U (and upgrades) on sale. I got K9U -> K10U for $179.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Trig Discipline posted:

Yo JRR just put K10 and K10U (and upgrades) on sale. I got K9U -> K10U for $179.
Yep, I think they were the first retailer to get the word out about NI's latest sale. I actually just finished the post I was threatening to do about past Native Instruments sales promotions, and just this morning saw that NI had cut the upgrade prices.

NI's official announcement is here, but JRRShop is usually the cheapest place to get it (at least in USA), especially if you use their standing FORUM or GROUP coupon codes.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Hmmm K10 for a hundred euros. Tempting

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I'm tempted to upgrade but I don't even have a great grasp on what I got now. Maybe I'll hold out for K11.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Since I'm going to be traveling for the next two months (and since shipping to Oz was $75), I just had it shipped to my mom's house in Oklahoma. Crazy cheap with the JRR discount and free shipping, but that means I don't get to play with my new toys until the end of July.

I'm tempted to upgrade but I don't even have a great grasp on what I got now. Maybe I'll hold out for K11.

I know what you mean; I've had every KU version since 8 and I'm still wrapping my head around a lot of the stuff that's in there. Recently I've made it a personal mission to sit down every weekend with a tutorial for some aspect of Komplete, and it's been quite fun and rewarding. My main use for Komplete is Kontakt and the associated libraries, but the deeper I dig into the synths the more I use them.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I realized I'd been making notes all wrong for the past year, so now I'm working on a classy looking word document where I sort out all the stuff I need to know about Absynth. I'll get to the others eventually.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)
Just picked up the Komplete 8->10 upgrade for 177ish with the 'group' code on JRR. I figure it's worth it for Horns, the Giant, and Monark, which are things I've been kiiiiiind of wanting, but didn't think it was worth it to buy before. Thanks for the tip folks.

Edit: Have they fixed battery 4? I remember hearing that you were better off sticking with Battery 3 when it first came out.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I realized I'd been making notes all wrong for the past year, so now I'm working on a classy looking word document where I sort out all the stuff I need to know about Absynth. I'll get to the others eventually.

Absynth is the one I've started digging into most recently. I'd used presets in Absynth on a couple of things, but never really looked into the guts of it. It's neat, but I really wish the automation for Absynth FX worked better in Bitwig (idk about other DAWs). Also the interface is fuckugly but I can overlook that.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

The Mystery Date posted:

Edit: Have they fixed battery 4? I remember hearing that you were better off sticking with Battery 3 when it first came out.
If you like to build your own drum kits, the answer's still no. Battery 4 is fine for using the factory kits or third party kits, but they just took away too many usability features for kit building.

Steinberg's Groove Agent 4 (the full version) is somewhere between Battery 3 and Battery 4 for kit building. I had started using it for a while but I keep going back to B3.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

All right, so u-he Hive is officially my favorite VA softsynth. It went officially 1.0 this week (although people who pre-ordered have been using to the 1.0 version for a couple of weeks), and there is a pretty complete walkthrough tutorial up on YouTube.

Diva and Zebra are gorgeous sounding, but I've always found programming them to be a little laborious and arcane. I won't say Hive is completely intuitive (for example, you won't hear a given oscillator unless you've selected it as a filter input, even if you intend to bypass the filter. also, there are some modulation options that are only available in the mod matrix menus, not in the UIs)- but once you know how things are wired up it makes a lot more sense to me than certain aspects of Zebra and Diva do.

It still uses a folder-based system for preset management (SUCK!) but it's about as elegant and feature-rich as I've ever seen a folder-based preset system get. (You can favorite presets you like, hide presets you don't, and create category folders and organize presets from inside the preset browser. Zebra and Diva might do this too; I am not much of a preset user, and I only did minimal work with them before moving on).

But also? It sounds amazing. Two filters, which you can run parallel or serial (another trick that's not instantly obvious; to enable serial mode, activate all oscillators on filter 1, turn its volume all the way down, then activate Filter 1 as the only input to Filter 2), and there are three different synth character modes that drastically change different aspects of how certain features and parameters sound.

And the unison (the original reason this synth was created), is lush and wide and gorgeous.

So at least for the forseeable future, Hive is gonna be my go-to for subtractive/VA stuff (taking the place of DUNE 1, which took the place of Waves Element, which I finally gave up on when I realized it was fundamentally broken), although I'll still use DUNE for my wavetable softsynth needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I spent like two weeks writing a Python script to convert all the TAL-U-NO-LX patches to Hive... then never bought Hive :( The hardware bug bit me hard. Learned a shitload about how synths work in the process though, and the 500 or so converted patches are on u-he's site, if they weren't bundled into the release.

Fun synth tho. Surprised they never filled the third honeycomb slot -- was hoping they'd implement some sort of patch morphing or something.

I did like Hive though, and I might pick it up again if I feel like working in the box more later. I'll probably sell Zebra once my nine months are up though -- never could bother to really learn it.