Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kick_the_penguin
Jul 8, 2012

Lilli posted:

GBA version is vastly superior to every other version.
Thanks, I've got a save game ready for the Fiesta.

I think I'll also play through normally before the Fiesta to get used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Poque posted:

At the very least, if he's using Maelstrom you're at the last bit of the fight, so you're really close if nothing else and a level or two could help push you over the edge.

Got him! I think the Ancient Sword did whatever it is it does so that probably helped. My last job is... Dragoon!

Anything interesting I can do with BM / MK / Bard / Dragoon?

VietTam
Jul 17, 2008

Eat it, nerd!

OzFactor posted:

Got him! I think the Ancient Sword did whatever it is it does so that probably helped. My last job is... Dragoon!

Dragoon learns !Lance which is based on magic rather than physical. Normally dragoons have poo poo magic stats, but if you put it on your black mage it'll do some okay damage, but more importantly it drains mp.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

OzFactor posted:

In the late game, you can put Running Shoes on your Bard, sing Speed Song, and have your Dragoon and Mystic Knight hit things with Flare Sword or the appropriate elemental weakness. It doesn't even really matter what your Black Mage does at that point.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Wait what are the rules when I only have three people and four jobs?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

OzFactor posted:

You have to have one of each at all times, which means you're allowed to have a duplicate of your choice.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

OzFactor posted:

Use whichever three jobs you want. Whatever the missing character's job was doesn't matter.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

OzFactor posted:

Use any three jobs you like (unless you're on a natural run, but why would you do that?).

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Same thing that happens when you have four people and four jobs: each person gets a different job. Just pretend that Galuf is whichever of your jobs you're not currently using.

e;f,b, like, a million times

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

OzFactor posted:

that's a solid combo, my first run last year was the same except with Knight instead of Black Mage. VietTam and ultrafilter above have it right, the nice thing about having two physical fighters with a Bard is that you can turn them into murder machines.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

In again this year with chaos and berserker. Last year (my first) I got to do pretty much everything with berserker on handheld which was great, though I might switch to emulator depending on chaos.

KharlanTree
Aug 21, 2014

Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
You see me I be
Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk

OzFactor posted:

BTW, I don't think anyone mentioned this, but the Ancient Sword inflicts Old when it activates, which slowly lowers the victims level and stats.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

KharlanTree posted:

BTW, I don't think anyone mentioned this, but the Ancient Sword inflicts Old when it activates, which slowly lowers the victims level and stats.

Note that this only really applies to magic damage; physical attacks aren't effected by monster level (their attack power and multiplier are locked in).

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

nuru posted:

Also, how many people just end up using frameskip to overlevel to make things easy?

Who the gently caress gains levels? I find myself at level 28 in front of neo-exdeath and suddenly become aware that I can't deal enough damage to prevent Almagest and can't survive one when it lands.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Who the gently caress gains levels? I find myself at level 28 in front of neo-exdeath and suddenly become aware that I can't deal enough damage to prevent Almagest and can't survive one when it lands.

It's somewhat a natural side effect of reflect ring farming, but yeah. :v:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
What necessitates Reflect Ring farming? I've never felt the need. Is it just for Omniscient?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Poque posted:

What necessitates Reflect Ring farming? I've never felt the need. Is it just for Omniscient?

Helps with Twintania, Melusine, and a few others. I usually do it whether I know I need it or not because they're much more annoying to get later.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Not to mention World 2 Exdeath.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

Helps with Twintania, Melusine, and a few others. I usually do it whether I know I need it or not because they're much more annoying to get later.

Yeah, it's usually just in case because I'm cheap. I'll also farm death sickles if I have a berserker because you can never have enough, especially if you can dual wield them.

Every time I play I try to spend less time farming statues. I've farmed them so everyone is max level everything, even though I know I don't need it, but I'm trying to resist the temptation.

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012
Yay! I beat my first Fiesta ever last year with a knight and three Berserkers. And then proceeded to NOT finish my second run with Blue Mage, Red Mage, Bard, and Chemist. Would have been so easy.

Random mechanics question: does dual-wielding spell boosting weapons double the boost?

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I dont think I've ever ground statues in a FJF even when I had a lovely team like monk/monk/berserker/geomancer

Lilli fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 2, 2015

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Poque posted:

it's a convenience thing more than anything else, easier to just farm them up than it is to buy them later. plus hey, grinding with a goal

VietTam
Jul 17, 2008

Eat it, nerd!

Rogue Lemon posted:

Random mechanics question: does dual-wielding spell boosting weapons double the boost?

no.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Fungah! posted:

it's a convenience thing more than anything else, easier to just farm them up than it is to buy them later. plus hey, grinding with a goal

You can't buy them. The only other source is rare steals in the Phoenix Tower.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

You get one for free in Istory Falls, but once you can get to Istory Falls you've dealt with nearly every challenge the game can throw at you that reflect rings would possibly help against, the exceptions being Bahamut (if you have a summoner) and Twintania. Generally, the reasons you want reflect rings are the Seal Guardians, W2 Exdeath, Melusine, and Twintania, in that order of appearance. They help against Omniscient too, if for some reason you want to get through Fork Tower without any mages.

Short form is that you'll know if you need to farm Reflect Rings as soon as you get your job loadout.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

dis astranagant posted:

I thought reflect knights in the atmos tower had them as a rare drop.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lilli posted:

I thought reflect knights in the atmos tower had them as a rare drop.

That's what they're talking about. You have to wait til Phoenix Tower if you don't get them there.

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

Rogue Lemon posted:

No, but if you're dual-wielding the same elemental rod and you break one of them, it'll get the spell boost from the other one.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

oh, i was thinking of haste shoes for some reason, buh buh buh

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
poo poo, this topic has already been around for 2 weeks? How the hell did I miss it? Oh well.

Running Chaos BERSERKER RISK for my first run this year. Hope to have the patience to beat my 7 runs last year (I kinda burned out on the last one, but I'm aiming for double digits this time).

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Also, is there player records from previous years somewhere? I forgot what all I did last year (aside from the shitfest that was my Classic run with 3 Monks + Red Mage) and wanted to be refreshed on that.

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

First time in the Fiesta so just going to do a normal run for now. Really excited about doing this.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
This is gonna the slowest drat month waiting for this. But it's just increasing my anticipation...

We're at 168 berserkers with 343 risk-takers.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

quote:

@FF5ForFutures
LET’S HAVE A BIG HAND FOR THIS YEAR’S PARTICIPANTS IN THE RUN:
@puwexil, @Dragondarch, @eLmaGus1988, AND @HappySquid89

Oh yes. :unsmigghh:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Wait, is it true you can't go BESERKERRISK after the fiesta starts? I should probably change my pre-reg if I want to get one 'zerker run in.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Color Printer posted:

Wait, is it true you can't go BESERKERRISK after the fiesta starts? I should probably change my pre-reg if I want to get one 'zerker run in.

That is correct. Risk is a reward for the brave and timely.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Color Printer posted:

You still have a chance of pulling Berserker any time you'd normally draw a Water Crystal job (aside from 750 runs), so it's not like you can only get Zerks running risk.

It's just the only time that zerks overwrite normal pulls, leading to scenarios like Knight-3x Zerk.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I have made the appropriate adjustments :unsmigghh:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Oh that's awesome. I'm actually gonna watch this time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'll do the same run as last year, no750 with Risky Riches. I got Knight/Berserker/Berserker/Dragoon for my practice run. With the balance patch the berserkers are jumping all the time while two-handing axes. It's pretty amazing. Oh also if you put berserk on somebody with a berserker enabled command they'll do the same.

Curious to see what the chaos mode is.

• Locked thread