Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Effectronica posted:

i know for sure that it was a finn, though not if it was geriatric pirate specifically, who wrote a bunch of posts about how somali refugees terrified him and they were all out for his wallet and anal virginity.

genuinely curious: do you have a job?

not as genuinely curious: have you ever thought about why you bother trying to lie about the time you spend on these forums instead of just embracing it like PTD has?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Effectronica posted:

i know for sure that it was a finn, though not if it was geriatric pirate specifically, who wrote a bunch of posts about how somali refugees terrified him and they were all out for his wallet and anal virginity.

well it would be some truly desperate refugees to choose finland

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Geriatric Pirate posted:

not as genuinely curious: have you ever thought about why you bother trying to lie about the time you spend on these forums instead of just embracing it like PTD has?

genuinely curious: why do you envy a single mother living in a house that wasn't up to code fifty years ago with half the wiring stolen and five holes in the roof?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Geriatric Pirate posted:

why do you think pointing out that some people post more frequently than you is some sort of indication of poor character

it's not exactly the stunning rebuke you seem to think it is

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Going back to unions wanting to be exempt from minimum wage, my immediate thought was that they might be willing to negotiate down so say "Instead of paying $15 an hour with crappy/no healthcare coverage or some poo poo, pay us $13 and throw in health insurance, or increased retirement benefits" .

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Effectronica posted:

genuinely curious: why do you envy a single mother living in a house that wasn't up to code fifty years ago with half the wiring stolen and five holes in the roof?

hmm not sure youre that genuinely curious

Popular Thug Drink posted:

why do you think pointing out that some people post more frequently than you is some sort of indication of poor character

it's not exactly the stunning rebuke you seem to think it is

the guy that's really concerned about fake rape allegations is telling me about poor character

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

wow

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Geriatric Pirate posted:

hmm not sure youre that genuinely curious

the guy that's really concerned about fake rape allegations is telling me about poor character

with every post you make, you march closer to the edge of the abyss my friend :coffeepal:

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

with every post you make, you march closer to the edge of the abyss my friend :coffeepal:

if i was as scared of women as you are, i'd probably spend all day posting as well

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Geriatric Pirate posted:

if i was as scared of women as you are, i'd probably spend all day posting as well

but you already do...

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
post frequently, that is. you post a lot itt, which is funny, because you point out that other people post more than you when they insult your bad arguments

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Geriatric Pirate posted:

151 posts in this thread dude, 151

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
http://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=whoposted&threadid=3717975

can we get a graph about post counts and autism correlation please

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

asdf32 posted:

Which is why it's telling that there is a strong reaction too it.

I'll remind people at this pooint that they got upset when Jefferson earlier claimed they didn't think there was an upper limit to min wage benefits.

This graph is that in visual form.

Hmm interesting

Do you often assume that a person is upset when they laugh hysterically?

Personally I think that the "graph" works fine as an illustration of the broad idea that JeffersonClay wants to present: at some sufficiently large minimum wage any potential downsides might begin to outweigh the potential downsides. But no one is pushing for $infinity/hour minimum wage, so it's kind of a pointless image. Every other aspect of the image has no value or merit, which is part of why it's so funny

Also, the graph was posted as a response, but the graph doesn't answer any of the questions in that post:

ElCondem posted:

When you say "maximizing benefits to the poor" what do you mean?

Personally I think your criteria is flawed, the minimum wage is to ensure a living wage to anyone who's willing and able to work. As long as it solves that problem it's doing what it's intended to do. Otherwise like you're implying, what's the point?

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 1, 2015

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

No units :colbert:

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
Right-wingers unironically mad that we are not impressed with their crayon scribbles. This thread.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I like the fact that thread title is keeping up with the absurdity that is some posters saying "well why don't we raise the minimum wage to [some arbitrary figure] if it won't increase unemployment then!?!". Good stuff.

Also,

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
So do you guys think that righties giggle at their originality and cleverness as they type improvisations on the theme "Liberals don't have jobs" yet again?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

booty is a standard unit :colbert:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

asdf32 posted:

Didn't I use the phrase "intelectual child" earlier in this thread? I'm being reminded of that now.

Remember when you thought the numbers 100 and 15 were pretty much the same thing? Good times, good times.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

really though why are you so hung up on people discussing things on a discussion forum, it's like a strange thing to gnash your teeth over

He is a dumb swamp swede with too many things to do to post on an internet forum!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Are you sure you're not confusing him with yourself? Because I've never seen him talk about it since I started reading the thread, but you won't shut the gently caress up about it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
dude wants to be a poor black person so it would also make sense for him to be envious of me, a cool and good poster who lives in america

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Also, the graph was posted as a response, but the graph doesn't answer any of the questions in that post:

I think his intent was to re-iterate that any increase to minimum wage has a point at which the poor will be negatively affected. But his graph implies that giving people a living wage is not possible without also hurting the poor. So I guess his solution is for everyone to become poorer so that we spare the poorest of the poor from becoming even poorer (though it's not explained how that works exactly). Not only that but keeping people poor is helping them, because otherwise they couldn't afford to live if everyone else weren't also poor.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

ElCondemn posted:

I think his intent was to re-iterate that any increase to minimum wage has a point at which the poor will be negatively affected. But his graph implies that giving people a living wage is not possible without also hurting the poor. So I guess his solution is for everyone to become poorer so that we spare the poorest of the poor from becoming even poorer (though it's not explained how that works exactly). Not only that but keeping people poor is helping them, because otherwise they couldn't afford to live if everyone else weren't also poor.

the only way for that graph to make sense as an argument for something is to say it's arguing for grinding down living standards until the living wage coincides with the green line

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

asdf32 posted:

The negative consequences are the things that prevent even you from calling for $100 minimum wage.

asdf32 posted:

$15 minimum wage isn't far off from that buddy in terms of dollars or percents.

asdf32 posted:

intelectual child

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i assure you that though i have the penis of a child, i have the intellect of a Man

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Heh what a dummy. The "that" in the middle one references "full order of magnitude".

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
x2 = x10

100% = 1000%

Freedom is slavery.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

asdf32 posted:

Heh what a dummy. The "that" in the middle one references "full order of magnitude".

I think you mean "exponential".

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

i assure you that though i have the penis of a child, i have the intellect of a Man to match

FTFY

asdf32
May 15, 2010

spoon0042 posted:

I think you mean "exponential".

Nope quadratic, haven't you learned anything?

Effectronica posted:

x2 = x10

100% = 1000%

Freedom is slavery.

Can you put this in picture form?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

owned

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

asdf32 posted:

15x100 = 15
15x101 = 150, notably a number that is still not one hundred nor close by absolute value or percent

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

15x100 = 15
15x101 = 150, notably a number that is still not one hundred nor close by absolute value or percent

Economic impact.

We can have this discussion again if you want. I don't advise it for you.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

asdf32 posted:

We can have this discussion again if you want. I don't advise it for you.

I don't advise it for anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

ElCondemn posted:

For starters the diagram doesn't tell us anything, it's just a drawing. Graphs are a way to represent data, there is no data being represented here. We have no idea what the units are or how to calculate them.

Zeitgueist posted:

Way to post a graph boldly rejecting the need for data, Mr. Laffer.

Who What Now posted:

I'm looking at this but it can't possibly be real. Am I having a stroke?

down with slavery posted:

how do u post this poo poo unironically

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Hmmm a unitless graph of questionable accuracy? I guess you have taken Econ 101 after all.
A challenge for the economics-challenged out there. Name one thing that's inaccurate about the graph. You can't, probably because you don't understand it. If that's too hard, you can post what wage you think is represented by the green and red lines.

The units are unimportant for my purpose here. Every labor market, whether denominated in dollars or dinars will have a wage/benefit curve in the same general shape that I drew, but we wouldn't expect them to be exactly the same. Labeling the axes with specific units would make it less useful.

QuarkJets posted:

Personally I think that the "graph" works fine as an illustration of the broad idea that JeffersonClay wants to present: at some sufficiently large minimum wage any potential downsides might begin to outweigh the potential downsides. But no one is pushing for $infinity/hour minimum wage, so it's kind of a pointless image. Every other aspect of the image has no value or merit, which is part of why it's so funny

You, at least, grasped half the point. The other aspect of the image demonstrates that whatever you or I define as the living wage has no bearing whatsoever on what actual wage will benefit the poor the most. We can say "nobody should live on less than 21.50 an hour" but that has absolutely no impact on the point where the negatives will dominate the benefits. So yes, the graph explicitly answers the questions posed.

If you're really asking "how do we determine the net costs and benefits of the minimum wage?" We'd look at the same things I've been discussing in the thread. How many dollars would be transferred to the poor? How much unemployment would result? How much inflation would result? How much would demand be boosted? These are empirical questions. If I had the answers I would write the best econ paper published in decades.

ElCondemn posted:

Your diagram is really pretty, but there are problems.

If increasing the minimum wage reduces the number of poor but hurts some poor, it would still make sense to increase the minwage. Having less poor is better than having a lot of poor who are "not as poor as they could be". We're not looking for the point at which people suffer equally, we're looking for a wage that allows the most people not to suffer.

This is, in itself, a very bold statement. I personally don't think we should disregard the impacts of a policy on the poorest, even if it did make some less-poor people not poor at all. I tend to think the most vulnerable people in society deserve special consideration when crafting policy, but I'm a liberal and I guess you're not?

quote:

Your diagrams says "if a living wage is over here, it's too high", this means the diagram is flawed. A living wage is the maximal point. If the living wage/maximal point harms the poor (I'm not sure how, your diagram doesn't explain that) then we have a serious problem, no amount of wage will be enough to live.

This is really confusing. What do you mean by maximal point? I've been told repeatedly that this thread has no people who think the minimum wage can go upwards, indefinitely, without causing negative consequences. That's exactly what the graph shows. The point which maximizes benefits for the poor has nothing to do with what we define a living wage as.

• Locked thread