Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Secret Spoon posted:

you know...the ones she laid out for you in her room. With the quest marker.

Yes, the collection of festive clothes in the chest. That's the stuff I'm wearing and she still complains about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Not technically no. One of her flashbacks has her in her underwear and bandages and you're in a sauna with Skellige women, they're mostly naked and Ciri isn't, but you can see the tattoo if you opted to not use a towel. But you don't see anything else, weirdo.

I could have sworn Ciri had more scars on her because of that scene. Maybe that nude model and the one in the sauna scene are seperate.. I'll wager that Geralt does have a nude model because he did in the last game. He just didn't have a dick.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Bugblatter posted:

You can advance the storyline up until you need to go to the isle of mist without any consequence, and if you pass that point the only penalty is missing one part of Brother in Arms: Skellige. King's Gambit itself is still available afterward.

hmm okay, I think I'll do that, I guess I was worried about that :siren: big cut off :siren:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Yes, the collection of festive clothes in the chest. That's the stuff I'm wearing and she still complains about it.

Did you dequip your gloves because that bit of armor stays on otherwise.

Rodyle posted:

Like even a total piece of work like Phillipa still rules, that quest where she and Geralt just wander through a cave relentlessly making GBS threads on each other is so goddamn good.

Yea I adore that sequence. Most of the Geralt wandering with other characters is great but Phillipa and Lambert create the best conversations. Non stop snark

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Dapper Dan posted:

Looting poo poo underwater was the biggest pain in the rear end ever.

I died three times during the part of the sabbath quest where you have to pick up the coin from the bottom of the pond. That makes it the hardest part in the game for me. Geralt would always drown before I could get him into the perfect position to interact with the only intractable object down there.

When I'm sailing around Skelliga and I see a cache on the map, I always say "gently caress it" because it's not worth trying to get Geralt to loot the loving crates underwater.

Akul
Aug 29, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Anyone know the console command to add Ekimarra hides? I've found like, one? Two? Not nearly enough.

Spied the correct name of the item from the console mod's nexus comments
additem("Ekimma epidermis") should spawn one into your inventory
As I have a finnish keyboard I changed the layout to the US one and used 9 and 0 as parentheses and Ä as quotation marks.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

(Not mine)

I need to find this place.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Should be easy enough. Find where the brothers in arms quest marker is, walk 145 steps away, then look on the map for a piece of land that matches the one in the minimap pictured within a circle of the marker.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Kaer Morhen. The main narrative will take you there.

Edit: The Brothers in Arms quest does not take you there. It's shown as being 45 steps away because that's the nearest sign post to quick travel to the map where the quest appears.

That said, by the time you have that quest the story will already have taken you to Kaer Morhen.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 2, 2015

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

quote:

I wonder if some drowners aren't just merfolk that got their lore screwed up.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Voyager I posted:

The racing segments really do a great job of emphasizing just how loving janky your out-of combat movement is.

Maybe the enhanced edition will have a triathalon with an underwater segment to nail the trifecta of awful controls.

:stonk:

They should ditch all that and implement snowboarding races.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Merry Magpie posted:

Did you even read my post?

I quoted his dialog.

Edit:^^^Feel free to provide the pertinent quote.

Found it, for what it's worth. You get to it by asking Letho about his assassination scheme, then talking about the Lodge:

quote:

Geralt: Where'd you get information about the Lodge?

Letho: From the Emperor and Vattier de Ridaux, the emperor's chief spy. And I believe they got it out of Yennefer.

Geralt: She recover her memory?

Letho: Nah, I'd never claim she'd inform on her friends consciously. I expect they found a way to tap into her memory in spite of her amnesia and without her knowing it. There was a sorcerer present when I was questioned. A young, proud intelligence officer. Whatever the case, they gave me a list of the sorceresses in the Lodge. Only Emhyr, Vattier and I were present. Only we knew of the mission.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Did you dequip your gloves because that bit of armor stays on otherwise.

Yeah, I did. The trick was actually to not wear anything from the chest, but black and white Nilfgaardian courtier clothes, she loved those. Weird that it wasn't an option in the chest, but luckily I didn't sell them before sailing to Skellige. And yes, I put way too much effort into getting this right.

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.
So I just got done with Whoreson junior. The end of the quest kind of irritated me because I wanted that gently caress dead, but Geralt's soliloquy is all "you hurt Ciri you gotta die." No Geralt, motherfucker has to die because we are standing in a room with the bodies of the like 6 women he tortured and killed.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Honestly I think the English VAs for this game are pretty weak. Yeah the guy who does Geralt has gotten better, but he's still not great. The Dandelion guy manages to completely pull me out of the game every time he talks. Ciri's voice actor is doing a lousy English accent for reasons???

the ones that use american accents are pretty weak. dandelion in particular is loving out there

really only geralt triss and dandelion are rough. most characters are noninvasive at worst

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tehllama posted:

So I just got done with Whoreson junior. The end of the quest kind of irritated me because I wanted that gently caress dead, but Geralt's soliloquy is all "you hurt Ciri you gotta die." No Geralt, motherfucker has to die because we are standing in a room with the bodies of the like 6 women he tortured and killed.

Yeah, I can see the issue with this scene/result. He sort of ignored the nameless people that were tortured etc., which isn't terribly egregious given that Geralt had no real connection with them and isn't really an "emotional" guy (thanks to the Witcher transmutation stuff) so he probably had little investment in them or their well being outside of "they're innocent people." However, he's had somewhat of an "appalled" reaction to other events he didn't think highly of, but this seemed to be not one of those which seems odd. A simple adjustment to the line or two could've fixed that scene. It's a weird choice of language used but I guess CDPR's writers had more focus on Geralt being concerned about Ciri and wanting the player to be worried Ciri was hurt, so they put blinders on about the other dead bodies so to speak. Anita Sarkeesian put out a string of tweets sort of along these lines and re-iterated her "Women as Background Decoration" argument recently which seemed fortuitous given your post somewhat in line with that.

Edit - Old Dandellion's voice actor sounds better than young Dandellion, Triss sounds odd and I can't place my finger on it. Geralt sounds devoid of a personality, which is weird given that the other Witchers seem to have a personality so I don't know if that's really necessary for him.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 2, 2015

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Voyager I posted:

NilfgaardvsMonsters.jpg

I think I'm going to have your avatar printed onto a t shirt.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Edit - Old Dandellion's voice actor sounds better than young Dandellion, Triss sounds odd and I can't place my finger on it. Geralt sounds devoid of a personality, which is weird given that the other Witchers seem to have a personality so I don't know if that's really necessary for him.

It's because Geralt's English VA sucks and the others don't.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 2, 2015

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

:nws: these naked 4 :nws: look (they all look exactly the same)

Hate to go :spergin: for a moment, but they really don't look exactly the same and if you think they do, you might be kinda blind.

My wife loves watching RPG stories so she was has been watching a lot of me play through Witcher 3 and she's even commented on how most the women have different body types. This is nowhere more evident than in the bathhouse in Novigrad the first time you go in there. I'm genuinely surprised that they seem to have modeled multiple different size bodies shapes.

But if you look between Yen, Triss and Ciri, they all have very different body shapes.

tehllama posted:

I just did that quest today too and I had the exact same reaction. For me it wasn't for Ciri, it was for all the women he killed. Plus, he would have been dangerous if left alive. He still has a loyal gang and he strikes me as a vindictive little bitch.

Blue Raider posted:

really only geralt triss and dandelion are rough. most characters are noninvasive at worst

I feel like I'm the only person in the world who has never had a problem with Geralt's VA (or Triss's for that matter). Geralt was stiff in W1, but that game had more rough edges than smooth ones (I say that as a diehard W1 fan), but in W2 and W3, I really like Geralt's VA.

Unfunny Poster posted:

I only dislike old man Dandelion voice. I like younger Dandelion voice. Perhaps they felt that younger Dandelion voice couldn't give the recap scenes proper gravity or something? Who the gently caress knows. I wish I could disable those after seeing them more than once.

Wounded and tired, Ciri collapsed in the swamp. Some peasants found her and took her to the baron, Velen's self-appointed ruler. The warlord took the young woman in, nursed her back to health and then sent her on her way to Novigrad.
Wounded and tired, Ciri collapsed in the swamp. Some peasants found her and took her to the baron, Velen's self-appointed ruler. The warlord took the young woman in, nursed her back to health and then sent her on her way to Novigrad.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Broken Cog posted:

(Not mine)

I need to find this place.

Hey CDPR, get at me for free geological advice to make your epic landscapes even more epic and make the exactly three guys that have played your games and care about this poo poo nerd out even harder. Like, those mountains are great, but put some recumbent folds in them, some faulted stratigraphy, now you're talking my language.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Re: Whoreson, Geralt does express disgust at that, he does it as an incidental line when you are approaching.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Mordiceius posted:

Hate to go :spergin: for a moment, but they really don't look exactly the same and if you think they do, you might be kinda blind.

My wife loves watching RPG stories so she was has been watching a lot of me play through Witcher 3 and she's even commented on how most the women have different body types. This is nowhere more evident than in the bathhouse in Novigrad the first time you go in there. I'm genuinely surprised that they seem to have modeled multiple different size bodies shapes.

But if you look between Yen, Triss and Ciri, they all have very different body shapes.

No, they don't look different. Tris, Yen, and Keira have the exact same mid sections, their hips are the same size. Yen may look a little thicker but that's because she's in the foreground. The only one remotely different is Ciri, and she's pretty clearly more lean and muscular with a few token scars because of her pseudo-witcheress status. Other than that, Yen, Tris, and Keira are all the same. They're just identical barbie dolls. I'm not about to devolve into an argument about naked video game girls so you'll just have to accept that you're wrong and I'm right :shrug:

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 2, 2015

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

The author of the books comes across as kind of a grumpy old man these days but I'm interested to see the remaining books in english and I feel like they're pretty well regarded overall. I've only read the short story collection personally, which I liked well enough.

Seems like the normal reaction to videogames that you'd get from an elderly polish author. Likely doesn't have much bearing on the quality of his work.

Which ones have actually got a translation? I think I've read The Last Wish and that's about it.

Mordiceius posted:

They don't really though, do they? Those four characters have clearly similar builds. That said I'll totes agree that the bath-house surprised me in that a gamedev actually bothered to create women that don't look like underwear models. Well, they are in underwear and they're technically 3D models but... poo poo

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 2, 2015

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.

Rodyle posted:

Re: Whoreson, Geralt does express disgust at that, he does it as an incidental line when you are approaching.

Well yeah, and I assumed he was beating the poo poo out of him before they started talking in reaction to that, since he hadn't heard about Ciri yet. The character description also makes it pretty clear that he's an evil gently caress, but Geralt's dialogue after the quest just seems wrong. Of all the obviously evil poo poo this guy has done, Geralt focuses on "you lightly wounded my adoptive daughter who sought you out, armed with a bigass sword, and fought you in single combat" instead of "you murdered/tortured all these helpless people."

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Geralt is more hosed up and Witchery than the other Witchers because he had more experiments done on him as a kid. That's why he's less animated than the others. Also his VA is great and really gets Geralt's character, especially his sense of humour.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Geralt has some really cool facial expressions in the play quest- when Priscilla is having him "help" write the play and when the Doppler transforms into you-know-who.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

turtlecrunch posted:

Geralt has some really cool facial expressions in the play quest- when Priscilla is having him "help" write the play and when the Doppler transforms into you-know-who.

The best one is when he falls asleep.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

No, they don't look different. Tris, Yen, and Keira have the exact same mid sections, their hips are the same size. Yen may look a little thicker but that's because she's in the foreground. The only one remotely different is Ciri, and she's pretty clearly more lean and muscular with a few token scars because of her pseudo-witcheress status. Other than that, Yen, Tris, and Keira are all the same. They're just identical barbie dolls. I'm not about to devolve into an argument about naked video game girls so you'll just have to accept that you're wrong and I'm right :shrug:

Kiera and Yen are pretty identical, but Ciri is leaner with smaller breasts and Triss has larger breasts. And now I'm pissed that I typed that out at all.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yen-Geralt conversations are just the best.

Also, drunk Geralt voice is pretty great

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Rodyle posted:

The whole way the scene was st up was clearly meant to have an impact on the player and Geralt, and in my case it worked really well.

This game's choices really bring out the ruthless pragmatist/vengeful shitlord in me - given a choice in most RPGs I tend to just go for the 'good' one since it probably has a better reward, the alternatives are pointlessly dickish, and it's least likely to cut you out of content down the line. In this I find myself being fairly ruthless, partly because I'm playing a character in a sense and partly because the situation genuinely feels like it would demand it.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Arrgytehpirate posted:

They really are. Just love the chemistry between these characters.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I guess if you're into the ice queen thing. I went with team fire because she's actually been around to help the past few games and the scenes were surprisingly touching.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Broken Cog posted:

Edit: this is a quite likely explanation. Anatomy and all that.

They wouldn't need to texture nipples, pubic hair, and a tatoo that isn't visible in her normal clothes if that were the case. Judging by Witcher 1, the development team is probably still just full of creeps.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The tattoo is canon according to the books though supposedly. I guess it makes sense to include that. Also, some gfx guy wanted to jerk off to Ciri idk

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

I'm pretty sure there's no naked scenes of Ciri in the game, so I'm not entirely sure why there's a nude model of her.

Not exactly unlikely that there was at one point an intent to have a naked scene with Ciri, or a scene that was cut

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Bugblatter posted:

I died three times during the part of the sabbath quest where you have to pick up the coin from the bottom of the pond. That makes it the hardest part in the game for me. Geralt would always drown before I could get him into the perfect position to interact with the only intractable object down there.

When I'm sailing around Skelliga and I see a cache on the map, I always say "gently caress it" because it's not worth trying to get Geralt to loot the loving crates underwater.

I got lucky and approached the coin from the right angle. But yeah, I'm with you for the underwater question marks. There also better not be any goddamn recipes in them. They took double/triple the length of time normal looting because of having to slowly shoot the 50 drowners surrounding them and then use the awful underwater controls.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Is there a list of what side quests are worthwhile. I just did this huge "family sword" questline in skellige and the grand reward was 20 loving crowns.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So, I've found a few stashes of Witcher gear now, and it seems as if people really love capturing/arresting/torturing/killing Witchers because every one of them has an awful story about the dude who died there to leave the plans/gear for you to find.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

In the quest "Count Reuven's Treasure," how did you all handle the situation with Triss and the witchhunters?

For me, I was escorting Triss into the place but as soon as they were going to take them, I told them to back off and murdered them all. Felt so good doing it and had no remorse in the situation.

Also, I've yet to go to Skellege yet, so I've only really had interactions with Triss this game and while she's been manipulative in past games and in the book, so far they've done well to make her sympathetic and it makes the whole Triss vs Yen choice a lot harder.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Oxxidation posted:

Found it, for what it's worth. You get to it by asking Letho about his assassination scheme, then talking about the Lodge:
Geralt: Where'd you get information about the Lodge?

Letho: From the Emperor and Vattier de Ridaux, the emperor's chief spy. And I believe they got it out of Yennefer.

Geralt: She recover her memory?

Letho: Nah, I'd never claim she'd inform on her friends consciously. I expect they found a way to tap into her memory in spite of her amnesia and without her knowing it. There was a sorcerer present when I was questioned. A young, proud intelligence officer. Whatever the case, they gave me a list of the sorceresses in the Lodge. Only Emhyr, Vattier and I were present. Only we knew of the mission.

Thank you for looking it up.
While Letho's theory would explain how Yennefer regained her memory, it does nothing for other lingering questions.
Why is Sile de Tancarville one of the few aware of Yennefer's survival and location?
Why did the Lodge recruit an unknown witcher to assassinate a king and not dispose of him afterwards?

The simplest explanation is Yennefer was in contact with Sile.
As Demavend's former advisor, Yennefer would be privy to knowledge that would be invaluable for any assassination attempt. It would be natural for Sile to recruit her.
As a conspirator, Yennefer could manipulate the Lodge to ensure Letho testified at the summit.

The entire plan falls apart if Yennefer is an unwilling participant. She would need to be unbound and alone during her conversations with Sile to avoid suspicion.
In short, she betrayed the Lodge and the northern kingdoms for Nilfgaard. It's a compelling angle to pursue, and I am sad they chose to drop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Comrade Flynn posted:

Is there a list of what side quests are worthwhile. I just did this huge "family sword" questline in skellige and the grand reward was 20 loving crowns.

Just do whichever quests sound interesting to you. Contracts will be worth fair chunks of XP and gold (haggle!), most secondary quests aren't worth much except the really big chains.

I can't really think of any quests that reward worthwhile items, which is one of the game's flaws. Your crafted stuff is almost always going to be better than rewards and Relic item drops.

A lot of people have commented that they should get rid of the XP and leveling system entirely somehow, because the way monster and loot levels are determined doesn't make all that much sense. Play the quests that are interesting to you, there's almost no grindy content in this game. If you're bored exploring and helping peasants go to Novigrad.