Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I loving love working 50+ hours a week. It gives me something to loving do....

New girl prolly won't last long.

"Why are you serving hot wine to customers?"

"Uhh because it's a Red Wine?!?!"

Lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I don't get the joke, but it's probably lovely.

I would literally flip my poo poo if you served me chilled red wine.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I don't get the joke, but it's probably lovely.

I would literally flip my poo poo if you served me chilled red wine.

You're talking like <40, right, not cellar temp (~54)?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

bloody ghost titty posted:

You're talking like <40, right, not cellar temp (~54)?

Yeah, I mean, if you have red wine, you probably store it properly, right?

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yes.... That's the joke bro...

Why, would anyone ask why red wine is hot.

Lmao. You really just don't like me. It's cute.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

A Man and his dog posted:

Why, would anyone ask why red wine is hot
but glögg rules? :confused:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

No, you're just really bad at English, so I don't understand what the gently caress you are attempting to convey.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

there was no indication of who was saying which line in quotation marks. there's nothing wrong with a relaxed posting style, IMO, but you've got to realize if you relax too much you're going to lose comprehendibility.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp

Fix your signal to noise ratio and I'm sure your posting career will be appropriately reevaluated.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
isn't it a pizza place anyways? you're not supposed to last a long time at those

e: and like honestly who cares if a coworker asked a dumb question. That sort of thing is really only funny/pathetic if they claim a knowledge way beyond what they have imo, like when the former "executive pastry chef" who crashed and burned 3 shifts in didn't know what meringue or chocolate mousse was, or my continued presence in the industry. if you're mockin someone who genuinely doesn't know something for genuinely not knowing something you're a dick.

OTOH your first post about this coworker was that she's fresh meat who loves to get down, so this is a step up sort of, I think

Simoom fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 1, 2015

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
Day 2 of my first culinary job: I wasn't scheduled today but I came in anyway to do the chef a solid in appreciation of taking a chance on me and giving me a job. Was busy all day because some girl was having a graduation brunch and then we had to clean everything in preparation for a health inspector visit. I worked my rear end off nonstop today, part of me feels dead and part of me feels totally loving alive, I'm sure a lot of you longtimers know what I mean. One of the line cooks who works the saute station has been getting very friendly and somewhat protective of me. I think his spider-sense went off because he briefly mentioned being in jail a few times so I think he recognized something in me as far as having a history goes. I think this spot i'm at is a great launching point for me since it is a well established restaurant that has been around for a while and is the main establishment in a group that own several other restaurants/nightclubs. Soon they're opening a hip gastropub live music venue type of deal which is where I REALLY want to get into, hopefully I can eventually make my way over there. Maybe it's because I had a few drinks after work but I don't mean to humblebrag but just barely over 6 months ago I was faceless federal inmate #xxxxx-097 and today I am a straight A culinary student and making inroads into an industry I really want to be in. Feels good man

the great deceiver fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 1, 2015

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

the great deceiver posted:

Day 2 of my first culinary job: I wasn't scheduled today but I came in anyway to do the chef a solid in appreciation of taking a chance on me and giving me a job. Was busy all day because some girl was having a graduation brunch and then we had to clean everything in preparation for a health inspector visit. I worked my rear end off nonstop today, part of me feels dead and part of me feels totally loving alive, I'm sure a lot of you longtimers know what I mean. One of the line cooks who works the saute station has been getting very friendly and somewhat protective of me. I think his spider-sense went off because he briefly mentioned being in jail a few times so I think he recognized something in me as far as having a history goes. I think this spot i'm at is a great launching point for me since it is a well established restaurant that has been around for a while and is the main establishment in a group that own several other restaurants/nightclubs. Soon they're opening a hip gastropub live music venue type of deal which is where I REALLY want to get into, hopefully I can eventually make my way over there. Maybe it's because I had a few drinks after work but I don't mean to humblebrag but just barely over 6 months ago I was faceless federal inmate #xxxxx-097 and today I am a straight A culinary student and making inroads into an industry I really want to be in. Feels good man

Good for you homie. Im glad things are going well, and I hope they improve!

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Red wine shouldn't be hot unless it's mulled or something idiot

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Unironically :bravo: good for you man

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

I know this isn't a big deal compared to what most of you guys here do. I'm the guy that was posting a number of pages back about being an ex-con, ex-junkie 3 years clean trying to break into the industry. I was offered some encouragement and a lot of ridiculing, most of it deserved. Today I found out that I got straight As in my first semester of culinary school AND i just got hired on to my first industry job, weekend night shift dishwasher/prep at the main restaurant in a large restaurant group in my city. The chef told me I'm about to become the kitchen's bitch and I guess I'm ready to become the kitchen's bitch. I worked in the kitchen in prison which was pretty fast-paced and filled with guys who had worked in the industry for a lot of their lives so I have some background besides culinary school. At least in a professional kitchen they can't throw me in the SHU if I gently caress up haha. I start tomorrow at 4, kinda nervous but mostly excited.

Good luck, man. Stay clean and kick rear end, this'll tell you if you want to say in the industry long term.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

I don't know how people complain about working more than 40 in a week. I just don't. Deal with it, or get out of the industry.

There is no reason a competently managed, staffed, and scheduled line should require overtime to function. I know we all like to boast and feel badass, but in doing so we are reinforcing the bad labor practices and lovely work/life split that drives people out of the industry.

Wanting to have a life outside of work is not a sign of weakness.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ok. All red wine should always be served cold what the gently caress was I thinking. I will move my entire red wine stock into the cooler. Thanks!

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
...you realize there is a difference between "room temperature" and "hot," correct?

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yes I do. And I'm very sorry I didn't make that distinction....

A regular loving bottle of red wine....

:suicide:

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009

your story is the light at the end of the man and his dog posting tunnel.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Yes I do. And I'm very sorry I didn't make that distinction....

A regular loving bottle of red wine....

:suicide:

I'm still confused by your terrible posting. Did you ask her about the wine or did she ask you?

Also stop being a loving idiot. If someone legitimately asks you a question at work loving answer it like an adult instead of a petulant child, even if you find it stupid.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

Simoom posted:

your story is the light at the end of the man and his dog posting tunnel.

Haha i lurk this thread every day and i enjoy man and his dog's posts but i guess i'm not jaded enough....YET. Anyway thanks a ton for all the positive support guys, it means a lot to me. I don't go back to work until friday and I don't start summer school until next monday. I have four days off and I don't know what to do with myself. Obviously not drugs lol

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Simoom posted:

OTOH your first post about this coworker was that she's fresh meat who loves to get down, so this is a step up sort of, I think

Every time this gets mentioned, I hear the horns and get "Jungle Boogie" stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I feel no desire to celebrate anything, like ever. Some parts of the biz never go away.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Turkeybone posted:

I feel no desire to celebrate anything, like ever. Some parts of the biz never go away.

Agreed. It's been years since I worked at a bar but even now, things like St. Patty's Day, NYE, even my birthday are just excuses to stay in and relax or grill with friends, whatever.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

You don't stop celebrating, you just realize that you're better at throwing a party than most.

Or you make enough money to use those sweet three star connects.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
i skip parties to stay home and watch re-runs of the office.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Oh, well yeah I guess I also meant holidays, but also birthdays, achievements, personal victories etc.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
there's no such thing as achievements. no milestones, no victories, no landmarks. only darkness

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

There are still some things I like to go out for. St. Patties day is not one of them though, that is dead. I went out to enjoy the first one I had off while being of the age of drinking. What a mistake, our waitress was freaking out and I was trying to convince her that none of us cared and we were all pretty drunk already so you know, do what you gotta, if that means making some of us wait for all our drink orders who cares.

But for most things yeah, I do it at home. I find the cocktail scene where I live to be kinda lovely. I cant get any of my friends to go to the bars I want to because they are all in a part of the city that takes like ~30 minutes to get to. I just want to go somewhere and order a vesper or a god drat sazerac or whatever and not get stared at like I'm asking for some college barking spider or what the gently caress ever leprechaun shot. Also margaritas, jesus christ, this makes me mad. Dude its a sugar bomb with little to no sour and absolutely no tequila taste. At this point I have given up and just make my own sour mix and do them at home. One of my friends was like "whoa, that margarita isn't frozen? I didn't know you could get them like that!"

They keep dragging me to this place called Half Times, and say its a fun bar.

There is literally no glass and there are two beers on draft and the whole of the liquor is stored on one well rack :(.

I love these guys but man, just like once. I want them to see what a real bar should look like.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Employee survey time. I can't summon the will to actually log in and fill this (not at all anonymous) thing out. If I'm objectively honest, it's a dice roll on half a dozen people losing their jobs or me losing mine depending on whether upper management cares more about store performance/guest satisfaction vs. replacing a squeaky wheel. If I lie, I get a massive dose of cynicism that I really don't want, so I think I'll just play it safe and "forget" to fill it out.

Then again, I'll be giving up my only chance to petition for liquor sales and including liquor in employee meals. A man can dream, right?

Also, I would love to pull 5-10 hours overtime a week. LC has it right though, and I'd rather be mandated to lock out before OT than mandated to work it each week.

And on an endnote in what bizarre fictional world does a 95% on an inspection act as supporting evidence to "this place sucks and is going to be closed down"? Getting shut down is when the entire walk-in is being run by Kenny Loggins with three containers dated to be thrown away two weeks prior, but whoops you're still serving from them*. Even that's only temporary unless it's happening repeatedly.

*This place was hilarious. There were conflicting rumors about what started it, but when a health inspector(justly) has it out for a store it's almost kind of terrifying.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Vorenus posted:

Also, I would love to pull 5-10 hours overtime a week. LC has it right though, and I'd rather be mandated to lock out before OT than mandated to work it each week.

I was more referring to management. I am required to work 50/wk, as are the other managers.

Hourly employees should not be expected to work OT, but it should definitely be available if the business flow allows for it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
After seeing all the rage against the salt allergies I was wondering if anyone has ever told them its an iodine allergy, not salt. Although the people claiming to be allergic to salt are probably just full of poo poo regardless.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
There is legit only one time I go to a bar to celebrate and that's my yearly celebration of beating cancer, because I got cancer from working BoH, so it's kinda irony. Also, my friends tend to buy me way too many shots of tequila, and carry me to the cab.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

pentyne posted:

After seeing all the rage against the salt allergies I was wondering if anyone has ever told them its an iodine allergy, not salt. Although the people claiming to be allergic to salt are probably just full of poo poo regardless.

We never had iodized salt in our kitchens. But no, no one ever claimed that allergy while I was working. Although I've never had anyone claim a salt allergy either.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

There is legit only one time I go to a bar to celebrate and that's my yearly celebration of beating cancer, because I got cancer from working BoH, so it's kinda irony. Also, my friends tend to buy me way too many shots of tequila, and carry me to the cab.

Thats a pretty god drat good thing to celebrate though.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

I was more referring to management. I am required to work 50/wk, as are the other managers.

Hourly employees should not be expected to work OT, but it should definitely be available if the business flow allows for it.

Ah, my mistake. IMO salary should always be either no OT or paid fairly/hour but in salary form.

pentyne posted:

We get a lot of "no salt" requests on fries, but I don't think anyone has ever claimed allergy on it. With fries it's one of those "Soccer moms know this one cool trick for fresh food" things, which is amusing because most anyone who redrops fries is going to know the oil cooks the salt off. :hurr:

This reminds me of the studies (cited/linked earlier in the thread IIRC) where a guy found that gluten can have serious effects on people who don't have celiac, and then a few years later he found that most of those people react because they're literally tricking their body into intolerance through sheer stupidity and paranoia.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I don't understand how working BoH gives you cancer, but that's an awesome thing to celebrate.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 2, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

pentyne posted:

I have a mild iodine sensitivity but gently caress if that's ever stopping me from eating ALL THE SHRIMP. I just turn blotchy red and get a little itchy. I have scared a few people with it though.

Nope not dying more seafood please

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

So is our management team. We're lucky if they show up for 35.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Vorenus posted:

Then again, I'll be giving up my only chance to petition for liquor sales and including liquor in employee meals. A man can dream, right?

I worked at a place where BoH staff meal every night is 1 item from the menu under $10 (they credited you $10 if it went over), and and $1 beer/well liquor. It was pretty cool -- I don't drink, but it created a nice atmosphere in the kitchen where everyone was really chill and helped everybody else close, even the dishwasher, so they could all sit on the patio and eat/drink at 1am.

To be honest I'd be surprised if your direct managers ever actually saw the results of the survey. For compliance/liability reasons, that seems like something that the HR department and the area directors (or similar) are going to be looking at, and then asking your direct managers why so many people are pissed off. Granted, that doesn't mean you can't (or wont) be fired for it, as we all know, but I think you're probably putting way too much stock into it. Most likely it gets compiled into a series of pie charts by somebody who sits at a desk and only exists to compile numbers into pie charts, then it gets pasted into a series of powerpoint presentations that are ultimately ignored or barely acknowledged by bored executives. Assuming you work at a chain, anyway.

Also, re: whoever said they were going to offer 35k salary, that is exactly what I was offered the very same day that I quit restaurants forever. I don't know what it is about 35k, specifically. I guess 40k is almost a decent wage and 30k is too insulting? It doesn't seem to adjust for cost of living anyway, because I was living in southern california and looking at $1200+ for "studio without bullet holes or meth lab". The hours weren't so bad, especially considering my employer was already requiring me to work 8a-6p while taking a 2(+) hour unpaid lunch in there somewhere. Depends on the environment, but in my experience once you accept that you are going to be there all day every day forever it gets pretty chill.

The bar is also really, really loving low for "generic manager at generic chain" so if you are even halfway competent you are already better than 80% of the talent pool. At PF Chang's I understand we paid the kitchen manager and general manager quite well (~80k), and the sous chefs and floor/bar managers were 40-50ish (on the way lower end for sous chefs, though).

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 2, 2015

• Locked thread