Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Coolguye posted:

OP is updated with what little we know of the new game and Kewpuh has been a bro in acceding to my request for an appropriate Revengence/Snake Tit marriage of a topic line. All is well!

All the previous OP stuff is now in the couple of spare posts I had reserved at the beginning of the thread, so Enemy Within and Long War are still 100% OK topics for this thread!

A good thread title. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nude swoletoids and snakegals? SIGN ME UP.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I figure it's like the UFO trilogy by Altair: The second game there goes from a hypothetical fail state for the first game because if you win the first game, you just win. The story's over, mankind triumphs, we steal sweet spaceships and rebuild and poo poo. I think it's the same basic concept here. "Yeah, we totally won. Here's how we'd come back from behind and win even if we didn't."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

I figure it's like the UFO trilogy by Altair: The second game there goes from a hypothetical fail state for the first game because if you win the first game, you just win. The story's over, mankind triumphs, we steal sweet spaceships and rebuild and poo poo. I think it's the same basic concept here. "Yeah, we totally won. Here's how we'd come back from behind and win even if we didn't."

Or Terror From The Deep happened and old X-COM got eaten by lobstermen and the alien overlord was responsible for this. That's a compromise I'd accept.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Ahahaha <3 Coolguy awesome OP

Kind of hoping that the game tutorial/opening involves busting out the Commander from a prison.

Bonus points if we get to control The Commander as a unit.

Actually, having the commander as an X-Com Insurgent on the field could lead to some interesting mechanics - things like a moral boost to other Insurgents, but causes things to ramp up quickly when the Occupying Forces realises the Commander is on the field, up to and including calling in airstrikes on civilian dense areas, which at first may lead to civilian outrage against the Occupation, but could also develop resentment against the Insurgency.

Also if the Commander dies, game over.

As modding is a thing, I’d really love to see this.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Gonna kill some alien muthafucks with a giant knife. Shotgun some others. Life is good.

XCOM: Jihad looks rad.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

i hope the story is really morally gray and you dont know for sure if youre the good guy and near the end a main character says "what sort of monsters have we become"

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wake me up when september ends

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Control Volume posted:

i hope the story is really morally gray and you dont know for sure if youre the good guy and near the end a main character says "what sort of monsters have we become"
I for one am perfectly happy to cause an ecological disaster causing millions of civilian deaths so we can blame it on snake tit loving infidels in order to generate revenue and resentment among the civilian population.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
"The rebels are FORCING us to bomb civilians" would be uncomfortable on the nose for a pulpy sci-fi game where you shoot a bunch of aliens, IMO

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pomp posted:

"The rebels are FORCING us to bomb civilians" would be uncomfortable on the nose for a pulpy sci-fi game where you shoot a bunch of aliens, IMO

On the other hand, I'll be very surprised and even more disappointed than I already am if there's not at least one mission where your job is to blow up something very big or hit a target area with the goal to blow up as much stuff as you can.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Pomp posted:

Cythereal posted:

On the other hand, I'll be very surprised and even more disappointed than I already am if there's not at least one mission where your job is to blow up something very big or hit a target area with the goal to blow up as much stuff as you can.

XCOM 2: You Play As Humas

e: poo poo didn't mean to actually post this, ah well.

Kaislioc fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 2, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I am so looking forward to being the terror mission.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Control Volume posted:

"Maybe we're the aliens."

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Control Volume posted:

Remember: No Human Vocalizations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SynthOrange posted:

I am so looking forward to being the terror mission.

I could see the Terror Mission being more of a "We have an opening to hit *public event* to kill a high-level leader and publicly discredit the aliens before they manage to turn off the camera" sort of thing. Either that or "We located a convoy of dissidents being sent off to testing/the Soylent Green factories! We have to hit it before it reaches its destination!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh poo poo XCOM 2, I still haven't even gotten the expansion to the first game!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I am super loving excited for this, and I hope it's good out the box like the first one, and not a game full of empty features like the Civ games.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Jerusalem posted:

Oh poo poo XCOM 2, I still haven't even gotten the expansion to the first game!

Get it. GEEET IT!

Seriously, in it XCOM starts making their own XMEN and start punching aliens with rocket-powered robofists.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kaislioc posted:

XCOM 2: You Play As Humas

e: poo poo didn't mean to actually post this, ah well.

If Red Faction: Guerilla can make it work, X-COM might be able to.

Though I have to say I hope we never see the Commander. Unless Firaxis decides that the Commander is a woman to see just how many grognards they can kill via spontaneous cerebral hemorrhage.

quote:

Get it. GEEET IT!

Seriously, in it XCOM starts making their own XMEN and start punching aliens with rocket-powered robofists.

I've had it for a while, but I only started my first game of Enemy Within a couple days ago. :) Have my first crack at the Newfoundland mission ready when I get home from work.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I am deeply excited for New X-COM with some of the most unsubtle insurgents ever seen.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

First gameplay reveal will show it's actually a dating sim. :allears:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Jellied Ellyrium can't melt Alien Alloys.

XCOM2 is a false flag run by the Alien CIA.

Edit: Central Intelligence Aliens.

hooman fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 2, 2015

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Cythereal posted:

Have my first crack at the Newfoundland mission ready when I get home from work.
ahahahahhahahaahah

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Alkydere posted:

I could see the Terror Mission being more of a "We have an opening to hit *public event* to kill a high-level leader and publicly discredit the aliens before they manage to turn off the camera" sort of thing. Either that or "We located a convoy of dissidents being sent off to testing/the Soylent Green factories! We have to hit it before it reaches its destination!"
Mission Completed
Operation Soylent Red
Assassination

Targets Killed
Results: 1
Rating: Excellent!

XCOM Operatives Lost
Results: 0
Rating: Excellent!

Civilian Casualties
Results: 15/15
Rating: Acceptable

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I hope that the people (YOU) turned into robots that X-COM supposedly helped reintegrate into society after the crisis ended, come back again, and are chain smoking grizzled veterans that you can find and enlist back into the fight again.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I hope that XCOM doesn't lose the cybernetics/gene stuff they gained in EW, but I hope that due to being a insurgent group rather than a international conspiracy what they can do it rougher hack jobs. It would mesh well with the more stealth nature of things if you had to trade having sweet super legs or an arm that shoots buzzsaws for sticking out like a sore thumb in crowds.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I left Bradford in charge for one lousy mission and this happens???

Alternatively maybe something happened with the meld, and that caused XCOM to lose. It seems like none of your guys are gene modded or MEC'd up. Maybe we'll see enemy MECs at some point.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Coolguye posted:

ahahahahhahahaahah

Not looking forward to this one. Half my A-team is in the medbay from surprise mutons on the last mission at a landed large scout, and I was one day off laser snipers and shotguns. I don't even need panic reduction in Canada, but I figured I'd take the mission just to say I've done it.

Worst comes to worst I feel no shame in reloading and I have a geoscape save from after the large scout clusterfuck so I can ignore Newfoundland.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Contest Winner posted:

I hope that XCOM doesn't lose the cybernetics/gene stuff they gained in EW, but I hope that due to being a insurgent group rather than a international conspiracy what they can do it rougher hack jobs. It would mesh well with the more stealth nature of things if you had to trade having sweet super legs or an arm that shoots buzzsaws for sticking out like a sore thumb in crowds.

I'm pulling for hidden fingernail blades so I can literally have Molly Millions in my squad.

(and by the way if you don't know who Molly is and consider yourself a fan of sci-fi you disgust me.)

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

Cythereal posted:

I've had it for a while, but I only started my first game of Enemy Within a couple days ago. :) Have my first crack at the Newfoundland mission ready when I get home from work.

:rip:

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum
it is very important to me that snipers get squadsight as their base ability in the new xcom. if they do not, i will be forced to do the unthinkable...

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Can't wait to free humanity from oppressive rule by releasing nerve gas in public areas and levelling entire city blocks to kill 3 aliens.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Dr. Vahlen being the Dr. Breen of Advent. They're really playing up the gene therapy angle in the teaser stuff, and she was the biggest proponent of genemodding in XCOM1. It would be pretty cathartic to kill her with a grenade, at least.

Either that or she's still helping you out, but now she's a miserable depressed drunk because of what her research contributed to.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Can't wait to free humanity from oppressive rule by releasing nerve gas in public areas and levelling entire city blocks to kill 3 aliens.

Thats my Apocalypse run

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Dr. Vahlen being the Dr. Breen of Advent. They're really playing up the gene therapy angle in the teaser stuff, and she was the biggest proponent of genemodding in XCOM1. It would be pretty cathartic to kill her with a grenade, at least.

Either that or she's still helping you out, but now she's a miserable depressed drunk because of what her research contributed to.

:( be nice to my waifu plz

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fister Roboto posted:

I still think she's somehow uploaded herself into the Avenger's computer or just grafted herself in like in Homeworld. She was one of the team in X-COM.

Bradford, though, gently caress him. He's utterly generic and unmemorable.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

It would be pretty cathartic to kill her with a grenade, at least.
Keep the fragments, you filthy animal...

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's pretty simple to reset the tech tree in a game like this. Instead of "research" have "acquisition". The tech already exists out there, you just need to expand your black market contacts until you can get that kind of equipment. You're down at the bottom again, and resources are scarce. Gotta start somewhere. If you want plasma weapons you can use it won't be as easy as just buying a few at the corner store. You'll need to salvage parts and recoup the tech.

Though it might need some awesome cyber-tinkering, or some snarky character, dressed in overalls and goggles, with some sort of exotic pet like a little monkey on his shoulder, standing over it going "I think I could UPGRADE this!" over-dramatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cythereal posted:

I still think she's somehow uploaded herself into the Avenger's computer or just grafted herself in like in Homeworld.
Good luck muting her advice when she is the communication system.

• Locked thread